or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event

Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event

post #1 of 58
Spurred on by his own leak from the past weekend, Digg founder Kevin Rose has pegged a more specific date for Apple to unveil its new iPods and is garnering support from additional sources.

Listeners to the August 25th episode of This Week in Tech, which features Rose as a show guest, report the site creator mentioning a September 9th introduction for the new iPods that he himself broke word of a day before the podcast was recorded.

While he doesn't say whether this would involve one of Apple's characteristic press events to usher in the changes, the Digg head also sent what are allegedly further images of the redesigned iPod nano to show founder Leo Laporte, who didn't find any glaring problems with what he saw but was sworn to keep the product shots to himself; he quickly deleted them outright.

Separately, leaks that would support Rose's claims have seemingly popped up at the same time, as Chinese resellers at AliBaba and iDealsChina are either selling or claim to know of silicone skin cases for the fourth-generation iPod that fit a player like that seen in an image this weekend. In at least one of these shots, however, Apple's proprietary Dock Connector is replaced with a mini-USB port and a lanyard hook, casting doubt on its accuracy.

Outside of the hardware, Rose also believes he has knowledge of at least one of the features of iTunes 8.0, which he previously said would arrive simultaneously with the iPods. He hears that the new software will be "looking at your music" and recommending content based on specific conditions.

Purported 3D renderings and case images for the new iPod nano. | Image credits: AliBaba and iDealsChina.

Although Rose hopes to avoid incriminating himself by revealing too many features and risking added criticism if he's proven wrong, his assertions are gaining support. A report from Ars Technica later on Monday says the technology site could give a "wink and nod" about the general timeframe, though it stops short of confirming an event or any of the product details. Analysts at Piper Jaffray have also predicted similar plans for Apple in September as it reveals one or more product updates.

Nonetheless, while an iPod refresh is all but certain for the holidays, the nature of any possible event is said Ars to be complicated. With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule, Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.
post #2 of 58
Great fantastic- all is well in the world!
Not too crazy about that Nano though. Perhaps a twisting screen would be better? Or a mini Touch?
post #3 of 58
This guy thinks awfully highly of himself. I remember seeing him on the old TechTV channel. I doubt anything he says is true. Wow..what a prediction...iTunes 8. The number 8 is the number after 7. I wonder how he came up with that.

Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen. Nothing else will change with the Nano's features. The iPhone and iPod Touch still can't display widescreen video properly. It is like watching a non-anamorphic DVD on a Widescreen TV. Zooming the video to fill the screen severely crops the left and right sides. Standard Widescreen DVD's (1.85:1) are not so bad, but 2.35:1 DVD's suffer greatly. I have tried using the anamorphic settings in Handbrake, but the video still looks like a non-anamorphic transfer on the iPhone.

But I am sure people will eat this stuff up like they did on the last article.
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule

This is the first article I've read that mentions this as a distinct possibility.

Quote:
Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.

I seem to recall that these events have focused on both iPod and notebook updates before. Except for the Nano, I don't foresee any other iPod product getting a facelift so capacity increases and/or rice drops can be quick, with focus on the new and improved Montevina/Penryn notebooks (hopefully with no optical drive... but I wouldn't bet on that).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 58
OMG I bet on Sept 9.
I will send my info so you can transfer the prize.
Thank you!

(lol)
Apple had me at scrolling
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This guy thinks awfully highly of himself. I remember seeing him on the old TechTV channel. I doubt anything he says is true. Wow..what a prediction...iTunes 8. The number 8 is the number after 7. I wonder how he came up with that.

A recent Roughly Drarted listed the iTunes major and minor version revisions, the dates between them and what had changed. It clearly demonstrated that there are equal chances that 7.7.2 or 7.8 or 8.0 will happen.

Quote:
Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen.

Huh?
post #7 of 58
Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine (this is not a sexist remark) design. It is something I would expect to see fallout of my wife purse as she empties one to another of her many (I've lost count these days) purses.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nonetheless, while an iPod refresh is all but certain for the holidays, the nature of any possible event is said Ars to be complicated. With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule, Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.

AI is being sensationalist again as there's nothing "complicated" or "undesirable." During both 2006 and 2007, Apple introed new iPods several days before the Mac w/free iPod promotion ended, so a 9/9 intro is nothing new as this year's promotion ends 9/15. New versions of iPods were introed on 9/7, 9/12, 9/5 over the last 3 years, so 9/9 is certainly the best bet. (In 2005, there was an additional Oct intro for the iPod gen 5 with video.)

And other than at January MacWorld Expos, I believe only once in 2003 did Apple intro a new iPod alongside new iMacs (on 9/8). But in 2003, iPod was still being established.

So my guess is 9/9 for new iPods and 9/24 for new laptops. (Apple has previously introed new laptops in Oct and Nov, so I don't see what the complication is.)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine (this is not a sexist remark) design. It is something I would expect to see fallout of my wife purse as she empties one to another of her many (I've lost count these days) purses.

I don't agree. It depend what iPod you're talking about.

I happen to think the classic is actually masculine looking:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 58
September 9th is a little too soon for an unannounced special event. Unless Apple no longer considers the iPods special enough to have their own event announcement. The iPhone is the new darling anyway.
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

September 9th is a little too soon for an unannounced special event. Unless Apple no longer considers the iPods special enough to have their own event announcement. The iPhone is the new darling anyway.

Apple only announces 7-8 days in advance, so that gives them till tuesday (since Monday is a holiday).

Best,

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #12 of 58
I'm going to enjoy seeing all of Rose's predictions NOT come to fruition, namely his Zune-Nano bastard child.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I totally agree. I could go on and on about how cool the classic looks, but I'd use words like iconic and sleek and strong and industrial and in the end I'd sound like Niles Crane.
post #14 of 58
what about the Oppenheimer Special?

During the earning announcement, CFO Peter Oppenheimer referred to a something extraordinary coming up this quarter that could eat into Apple's margins. Slight upgrades of the current products wouldn't cause such a warning to be issued.

I wonder what it could be. I'd like to see Apple get into Home Automation, but that's just me.
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

what about the Oppenheimer Special?

During the earning announcement, CFO Peter Oppenheimer referred to a something extraordinary coming up this quarter that could eat into Apple's margins. Slight upgrades of the current products wouldn't cause such a warning to be issued.

I wonder what it could be. I'd like to see Apple get into Home Automation, but that's just me.

He mentioned lower margins but Apple has said that before. He did say there was a product transition, but that could be just a new Nano. In true Apple fashion they are keeping everything close to their belt.
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly. And CREB is talking about the one discussed in the article--the rumored curvy Nano.

The sex of the classic is neither here nor there...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #17 of 58
They said:
Price down
No one can challenge
New approach

I heard about something about iTunes 8 giving access to some unlimited download with year subscription giving access to "almost" all the music for free.

What I see is 2 ways of buying an ipod
The Normal WAY..

The PHONE WAY !
What I mean is that you would have your iPod for 100$ or less but you would have to subscribe to their download subscription for 2 years.
So they that they get more client and they can sell cheaper their stuff.

The Nano accessing Video -> sell videos which would not be totally free.
The iPod Touch GPS?Camera? -> sell videos, app

That would be unchallengeable, a price down, and a revolution in the market of media player.

I should sell my idea to apple
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukei View Post

I heard something about iTunes 8 giving access to some unlimited download with year subscription giving access to "almost" all the music for free.

Not for free: $129.99 for the service, for $179.99 with MobileMe, or $99 if you already have MM. It's also rumoured to include about half the current library. While Apple's current success with expiring media with movie rentals they could do it, but I have doubt that they will. Does anyone currently have a successful rental program going?
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not for free: $129.99 for the service, for $179.99 with MobileMe, or $99 if you already have MM. It's also rumoured to include about half the current library. While Apple's current success with expiring media with movie rentals they could do it, but I have doubt that they will. Does anyone currently have a successful rental program going?

I certainly have my doubts about a music subscription service too. I can still hear Jobs telling us that "people want to own their music." But times have changed and I hear people who once said that they would never consider a subscription service now saying that it would be a nice complement the existing download-to-own services they currently use.

One interesting thought is how a music discovery/recommendation system in iTunes might intersect with a subscription-based service.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A recent Roughly Drarted listed the iTunes major and minor version revisions, the dates between them and what had changed. It clearly demonstrated that there are equal chances that 7.7.2 or 7.8 or 8.0 will happen.

Quote:
Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen.

Huh?

The rumor is that the Nano will grow a wide screen. Who cares.
post #21 of 58
I don't think Nano or any iPod or MacBook line are feminine. A lot of masculine objects are very curvy, that's why they so appealing to Males and somewhat familiar as nature to Female side. Apple can't go wrong with their choice of next shape for apple.

For almost 6 years Apple followed straight edge, metal, hard, clean look. Now as the new era approaches Apple is choosing much more flexible and curvy shapes, which will appeal to both Male and Female. Now color can set a tone much better than shape.

Just a though.
post #22 of 58
The thing about confirmation of an iPod hardware refresh is the fact that retailers are starting to run short of inventory of various iPod models. I haven't heard ANYTHING about running out of inventory of 6G iPod classic or 3G iPod nano models lately, so I'm not sure what's going on.
post #23 of 58
Apple under Steve rarely does ugly -

The rendering above has direct USB - this will never happen - Apple makes too much money from their proprietary connector.

The Lanyard is not currently not apart of any product recently made by Apple (please correct me if i am wrong) does the Shuffle have a Lanyard - I don't know

The curved plastic or glass on top of a flat screen would be hard to manufacture without causing optical issues. Thick Glass would make it top heavy. The overall effect would stray significantly from assumed Steve's "keep it simple + elegant" design philosophy.

The device as rendered would not rest in the hand easily, it is "sharp" or "pointy" might even tear a hole in in a fabric pocket over time. I assume Steve approved designs are easy to touch and hold to such an extreme that they are a bit "Slippy"

Microsoft would do well to consider the purported 3D rendering for the Zune as it would be a significant improvement and I'm sure the Windows Geeks would love the crass'ness

love to know what you think : tacedirection-insider@yahoo.com
post #24 of 58
Quote:

In all fairness, the point in predicting an update is the when, not the number.

Quote:
Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen. Nothing else will change with the Nano's features. The iPhone and iPod Touch still can't display widescreen video properly. It is like watching a non-anamorphic DVD on a Widescreen TV. Zooming the video to fill the screen severely crops the left and right sides. Standard Widescreen DVD's (1.85:1) are not so bad, but 2.35:1 DVD's suffer greatly. I have tried using the anamorphic settings in Handbrake, but the video still looks like a non-anamorphic transfer on the iPhone.

I think you're really reaching here. The only way to properly display a widescreen video is to have the screen be the exact same ratio? For movies, screens have rarely matched the video, most often either one or the other is sacrificed. I don't think there are a whole lot of 16:9 screens in that general size anyway, I think the one device I know of uses a screen made by Sony for their PSP, who don't seem to be able to make one without a stuck pixel.
post #25 of 58
on September 16 or sometime during that week, there is almost no way Apple would make such an event so close to the back to school promo.
post #26 of 58
Quote:

The rumor is that the Nano will grow a wide screen. Who cares.

WTF!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
post #27 of 58
This is great news. I am looking forward to new the rumors surrounding the new ipods, itunes, notebooks, etc. Just in time for a last rush for college students and teachers for the free ipod after mail in rebate. should spark a last minute rush for apple and set the bar for holiday sales. hopefully apple will surprise us instead of letting us down.
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuatu View Post

Apple under Steve rarely does ugly -

The rendering above has direct USB - this will never happen - Apple makes too much money from their proprietary connector.

The Lanyard is not currently not apart of any product recently made by Apple (please correct me if i am wrong) does the Shuffle have a Lanyard - I don't know

price may change item #1. Think cheap cables, reduced size of product, and cheaper components.

#2 - shuffle has a built in clip, which makes it perfect for clipping on your hat when you do chores, all wires are out of the way. The old shuffle had a hokey lanyard and was like a pack of gum.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

The old shuffle had a hokey lanyard and was like a pack of gum.

Best thing about the original shuffle (I still have and use mine) was/is that you could plug it straight into the usb socket on the mac/pc with no need for any cables. Because of this the original shuffle is still way ahead in terms of practicality than the re-designed shuffles imho.
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I could go on and on about how cool the classic looks, but I'd use words like iconic and sleek and strong and industrial and in the end I'd sound like Niles Crane.

Awesome. Just awesome.
post #31 of 58
I don't buy the curved screen at all. It's not just a problem of reflections, it is also more likely to scratch or break.

Not to mention that the design looks like many nano knockoffs, like the small Zune.
post #32 of 58
Apple will hold it on a different day, just to make him wrong.

Apple will be announcing a new PHONE they'll call it the NanoPhone, (or iPhonemini, or iPhone II, it will be JUST a phone, and will sell for $89.00 JUST a phone!

Apple will update they iPods (big surprise, they've done this each year for what now, 3, 4 years)

Apple will announce something else, and everyone will say "I told you so"!

Apple stock will shot through the roof and all will be happy.

Apple will have a GREAT Holiday season everyone we be happy, and some will say ?

Apple will have some great exciting announcements at MacWorld Expo in January and just about everyone will be happy.

Apple WON'T come out with everything that folks are asking for everyone will be pissed!

A day / month / year in the life of Apple

Skip
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I don't buy the curved screen at all. It's not just a problem of reflections, it is also more likely to scratch or break.

Curved objects are stronger in many ways, in this case, unless you press into the side edge with a very strong force.
post #34 of 58
The iPod Touch's form factor is nearly perfect. Apple, please don't tinker with it too much...
(you should be trying to make the iphone fit in the ipod touch's dimensions in the future.)

add 64 GB or 80 GB flash if possible
and ditch the chrome back.

as a matter of fact, ditch the chrome across the line and on the next rev of the iPhone as well!

the chrome look is tired. try black metal/gunmetal finish or pearl-like finish?

as for the next macbook pro - getting the inputs right is key. i say ditch ethernet and telephone, s-video and dvi.
keep/have 3 usb ports 2 fire wire, pcmcia, combo audio in/out jack and hdmi
and option for blu-ray!
post #35 of 58
Consensus? The word means, to paraphrase Websters, "a general agreement or unanimity, a group solidarity in sentiment and belief"

This implies that those expressing that agreement have some control over the situation, for example, there may be a "consensus" among US Democrats that Barak Obama is the best Presidential candidate. If Apple developers are choosing a date themselves, then there may be a "consensus" for one particular date. They are not.

Unless Kevin Rose has received an invitation to an Apple event, or knows someone who is organising it, then the "rumored Sept. 9 iPod event" is just his guess. If large numbers of people are also receiving invitations, then that would be confirmation of the rumour. Otherwise, large numbers of people reporting the same Kevin Rose guesswork and thinking he may be right is not a "Consensus build(ing) for the rumored Sept. 9 iPod event", it is a "Consensus" among bloggers that Kevin's guess may be right. In any case, Kevin is not only using guesswork about the date, the idea that it will be an "iPod event" is also his guess.

This is not semantics, there is a very important difference. In the first example (support for Obama), the numbers may translate into votes, and therefore a "building consensus" implies more votes for Obama, whereas in the second, it does not matter how many people report on Kevin Rose's guess, or how many people believe that it may be correct, it is still a guess and it still has exactly the same chance of being right or wrong as if no-one ever saw it.

The other difference, of course, is that whether or not Kevin Rose's guess has any validity, more people will hit his website, and those websites that link to it. More ad-counts for Kev, perhaps?

So your headline should really read "Website hit counts build for speculation and guesswork about Sept. 9 iPod event".

Should I expect a "consensus" to build that your headline will soon be changed?
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

The iPod Touch's form factor is nearly perfect. Apple, please don't tinker with it too much...

Really?
I've assumed that most people would ignore the iPod Touch now, as the iPhone 3G appears cheaper to most people, and it does more. On that premise, I'm assuming the iPod touch needs to differentiate itself by either being a little smaller (and multi coloured) or 1.5x bigger (or both).

For you, what makes the iPod Touch appeal significantly more than just getting an iPhone?
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

(you should be trying to make the iphone fit in the ipod touch's dimensions in the future.)

add 64 GB or 80 GB flash if possible
and ditch the chrome back.

as a matter of fact, ditch the chrome across the line and on the next rev of the iPhone as well!

the chrome look is tired. try black metal/gunmetal finish or pearl-like finish?

as for the next macbook pro - getting the inputs right is key. i say ditch ethernet and telephone, s-video and dvi.
keep/have 3 usb ports 2 fire wire, pcmcia, combo audio in/out jack and hdmi
and option for blu-ray!

1) 80GB would only happen with a HDD-based Touch, which I do see happening. 64GB in the current design would require 2x32GB chips, which are still too expensive, so that is unlikely.

2) By chrome so you mean brushed aluminium? If so, I quite like it and see no reason they need to stop using it.

3) A telephone jack was removed when they introduced the MB and MBP. There is no S-Video. There is no PCMCIA, that was ditched to when the MB and MBPs were first introduced. DVU may go away in favour of a smaller, newer connection type but I think DisplayPort is more liekly than HDMI.

4) The audio jack currently are combo. They do digital and analog. If you mean one jack for in and out that won't happen as it doesn't make sense.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Really?
I've assumed that most people would ignore the iPod Touch now, as the iPhone 3G appears cheaper to most people, and it does more. On that premise, I'm assuming the iPod touch needs to differentiate itself by either being a little smaller (and multi coloured) or 1.5x bigger (or both).

For you, what makes the iPod Touch appeal significantly more than just getting an iPhone?

You are kidding , I hope.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

1) no contract
2) slimmer form factor
3) While the idea of a 'do-everything' device can be appealing, carrying a separate dumb phone with a cheap plan is fine with me. I don't live and die for phone contact.
post #40 of 58
Man, these Macbooks just seem to keep getting delayed over and over. It's ridiculous. First they were supposed to come out shortly after the iphone 3g. Then it was August timeframe. Then it was September. Now they seem to be delayed again, and Appleinsider doesn't have any good sources on this. I want a new Mac!

Anyone got any scoops?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event