or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap - Page 3

post #81 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Redesign:
A different pedestal (the same).
A different body footprint (the same).
A different mouse (the same).
There have basically been 3 diff iMac designs- 1). The original TV bubble, 2.)The lamp iMac , and 3.the white /aluminum one.
Everything else has been a modification on a design but not a new design.

Just show the other side of things, there have been the following:

new insides
new color scheme
new keyboard
new size

I would agree it was not a redesign, to continue with the car analogies, I would consider it a mid model refresh. The appearance of the white and aluminum imacs is very different but you can easily see how the two are related. The aluminum imac is the evolution of the white imac, not a redesign.

On a totally unrelated note; can the macbook pro please get a built in memory card reader?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #82 of 204
What about the iPod Nano, I was thinking of buying one for the gym, guess I should wait. The 1st Gen iPod Nano imo was a decent design, my brother bought one 4 months backs looks a bit ugly (just my opinion). Apple should change the design of iPod and maybe increase the capacity too. Guess I am asking for too much.
post #83 of 204
If they kill off the current MacBook in favor of aluminum, that would really suck! The benefit of the MacBook is increased WiFi range due to the plastics not interfering with the signal. An aluminum MacBook would make the WiFi performance suffer like the MacBook Pro/PowerBook G4.

And yes, they need to bring back a real wireless keyboard with a NUMBER PAD! I prefer wireless because the desk is cleaner. However, I hate the new wireless keyboard lacking the number pad. My original wireless white Apple KB is showing its age with the keystrokes, and I have already cleaned it once.
post #84 of 204
Although it doesn't look good from what I have read, I sure hope AMD has RV770-based (4000 series) mobile GPUs ready for the macbook Pro and iMac! Although Nvidia's G92/8800 series parts are good, especially for dual-booting Windows games, Nvidia's drivers on OSX are inferior to AMD. It would be great to see a 4850-derived product available on the iMac and MBPro!
post #85 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

If they kill off the current MacBook in favor of aluminum, that would really suck! The benefit of the MacBook is increased WiFi range due to the plastics not interfering with the signal. An aluminum MacBook would make the WiFi performance suffer like the MacBook Pro/PowerBook G4.

And yes, they need to bring back a real wireless keyboard with a NUMBER PAD! I prefer wireless because the desk is cleaner. However, I hate the new wireless keyboard lacking the number pad. My original wireless white Apple KB is showing its age with the keystrokes, and I have already cleaned it once.

There's no point of having number pad on wireless keyboards. Its wireless for a reason not just to sit on a table. That's why there's wired version. Wireless size is perfect size that fits on your lab when you sit or lay, it would be too long for ergonomics.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #86 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancircled View Post

On the issue of white no longer being part of the color scheme - What about the mighty mouse and the apple remote ... cosmetic changes? I'd love to see a new mighty mouse that has a nav ball that doesn't stop working every 2 weeks. The mighty mouse is the most seriously flawed product Apple currently sells.

You know that's what I thought, so I bought a RadTech BT600 to use when my new iMac came, but I have stuck the BT600 in the draw because the Mighty Mouse is so much better functionally. Its scroll button works better than any scroll wheel I've used. Go figure! I always thought the Mighty Mouse was crap, but never actually used one, and now know I was wrong. At least that's my experience.
post #87 of 204
No MacBook Pros until October?!?!?
post #88 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

No MacBook Pros until October?!?!?

NO MBPs untill 15th September?!?!?!?
post #89 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And yes, the 'product transition' is likely new LEDs, Blu-Ray or a special chip on the motherboard and will likely disappoint many who think it's some new whiz-bang product.

Emphasis mine: what special chip do you have in mind? And why it would be a disappointment to many? Adding a specialised chip is not the same kind of evolutionary upgrade like LCD --> LED display or DVD --> BD drive.
post #90 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

Most people want Blu-Ray because it's the flavor of the day, not because they have any real use for it.

Well I think the majority of people would have a use for it, they would watch Blu-Ray movies on it, I know I would
post #91 of 204
No black keys or bezel,for heavens sake... Please! That is chincy ugly and so not pro! the previous design was perfect.
post #92 of 204
And they are going to announce "What" at MacExpo?

I think this is to much for this year. It would make more sense that they announce some of this, but also some new and exciting to drive us crazy for the holidays.
post #93 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well I think the majority of people would have a use for it, they would watch Blu-Ray movies on it, I know I would

Less than 700 movies on Blu-Ray now and many you wouldn't watch.
post #94 of 204
Quote:

And it may be a while yet. http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/08...shed-in-china/

Worse yet, they have yet to standardize the final format.
post #95 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Less than 700 movies on Blu-Ray now and many you wouldn't watch.

Do you not realize that MANY titles are being released monthly? Why stop at 700? LOL Weird reasoning. And if there's no market why so many Blu-Ray players being sold? I bought a PS3 just for Blu-Ray. Simply put, anyone who doesn't have Blu-Ray discs simply isn't a movie aficionado because the quality is outstanding. You can't say you don't own Blu-Ray because it's a money issue. Pplayers are cheaper than Macs, Blu-Ray discs are the price of three drinks, one or two spools of 100 DVDR's, three packs of cigarettes etc so...

I'd gather many Mac fans are media buffs in general i.e. movies, music, graphics so I think Blu-Ray for Macs is not only a good idea but essential.

Did you also forget that PowerMacs are used by and originally driven by creatives? This means they need Blu-Ray if they want to produce Blu-Ray media. These users were here long before iPod EMO's.
post #96 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Do you not realize that MANY titles are being released monthly? Why stop at 700? LOL Weird reasoning. And if there's no market why so many Blu-Ray players being sold? I bought a PS3 just for Blu-Ray. Simply put, anyone who doesn't have Blu-Ray discs simply isn't a movie aficionado because the quality is outstanding. You can't say you don't own Blu-Ray because it's a money issue. Pplayers are cheaper than Macs, Blu-Ray discs are the price of three drinks, one or two spools of 100 DVDR's, three packs of cigarettes etc so...

I'd gather many Mac fans are media buffs in general i.e. movies, music, graphics so I think Blu-Ray for Macs is not only a good idea but essential.

Did you also forget that PowerMacs are used by and originally driven by creatives? This means they need Blu-Ray if they want to produce Blu-Ray media. These users were here long before iPod EMO's.

There have been several news reports of how, despite the BD / HD-DVD war being over, BluRay disc player sales have not taken off as many expected.
post #97 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Do you not realize that MANY titles are being released monthly? Why stop at 700?

Who said they are stopped at 700?

Unfortunately, the current availability is less than 700 movies

In the past month for example, less than 25 'new' movies (some film over 10 years ago but never released–and probably never should) have been released according to the Blu=Ray Association. Check that most of the 120 releases listed are music, TV series, documentaries, repacks of old movies, etc.

Incidentally, BlockBuster lists less than 80 movie titles released so far this year, and not all are NEW.
post #98 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxplosive View Post

yeahhh niggasss, thats thug.. will the mb's and ipod touches definitly be out sept 9 or whaaa maa fackaaaaaaaaasssssssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What the....?

No Canadian gang signs, please.

Actually, I think he was quoting Gore Vidal.
post #99 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Less than 700 movies on Blu-Ray now and many you wouldn't watch.

Seeing as it is the only full hi-def video/audio solution available which allows you to purchase the movie, I have no problem with it.
post #100 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And it may be a while yet. http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/08...shed-in-china/

Worse yet, they have yet to standardize the final format.

They have, all that link says is they are allowing a Chinese company to add an additional audio codec
post #101 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There have been several news reports of how, despite the BD / HD-DVD war being over, BluRay disc player sales have not taken off as many expected.

And there are several reports that they are doing better than expected
post #102 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Who said they are stopped at 700?

Unfortunately, the current availability is less than 700 movies

In the past month for example, less than 25 'new' movies (some film over 10 years ago but never releasedand probably never should) have been released according to the Blu=Ray Association. Check that most of the 120 releases listed are music, TV series, documentaries, repacks of old movies, etc.

Incidentally, BlockBuster lists less than 80 movie titles released so far this year, and not all are NEW.

How many new movies do they release in a year? How many would sell enough to perform a run in Blu-Ray?

DVD is an old technology now, it is cheap to produce.

The number of blu-ray movies available is increasing, and will continue to increase
post #103 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're getting into the externals vs the internals. He was talking about the externals, which is what most of us are referring to when we talk about redesigns.

We had this debate on another thread a short while ago.

Most head shaking, laugh inducing thread ever.
post #104 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Flavor of the day? You must still use laserdisc instead of DVD.

No, just old enough to have been through a few of these "must have" technologies that are obsolete within a few years.
post #105 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well I think the majority of people would have a use for it, they would watch Blu-Ray movies on it, I know I would

You obviously don't talk to as many people as I do regarding technology. There are a fair number of reasonably smart people out in the world who think that Blu-Ray is a type of sunglasses, not the up-and-coming next generation of optical media. I have no doubt that the some of the savvy people here could and would use it if they had it on their computer, but the majority of people won't for the foreseeable future.
post #106 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And there are several reports that they are doing better than expected

Just like the number of Vista licenses being sold is rising?
post #107 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

You obviously don't talk to as many people as I do regarding technology. There are a fair number of reasonably smart people out in the world who think that Blu-Ray is a type of sunglasses, not the up-and-coming next generation of optical media. I have no doubt that the some of the savvy people here could and would use it if they had it on their computer, but the majority of people won't for the foreseeable future.

Strange argument you are putting up there, but what you are saying is, because you talk to the people you talk to, you know better than anyone else...

It is a fact that blu-ray is far superior to any other available home video technology available, in both audio, and video.

DVD wasn't widespread for a long time, and only taken up up the 'savvy people' originally.
post #108 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

Just like the number of Vista licenses being sold is rising?

And the point of that comment is?
post #109 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Emphasis mine: what special chip do you have in mind? And why it would be a disappointment to many? Adding a specialised chip is not the same kind of evolutionary upgrade like LCD --> LED display or DVD --> BD drive.

That one's not really my theory. Cringley's been going on forever about the possibility of Apple adding a dedicated H.264 chip that brings HD downloading (from the iTunes store) into the mainstream.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #110 of 204
You stick to your 64GB $350.00 USB thumb drives and I'll continue with my 50GB for $20.00 Blu-Ray purchases thank you.

They sell thumb drives in the shape of sushi, lego, real thumbs, cars and other toys you know. Maybe you'll find those features worth the $350.00 price tag.

Have fun.

p.s. You also won't be able to create Blu-Ray HD media or "back up" Blu-Ray movies with your Lego or sushi shaped thumb drive. You will however be able to join and stack many Lego shaped thumb drives together as high as you like.
post #111 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Although it doesn't look good from what I have read, I sure hope AMD has RV770-based (4000 series) mobile GPUs ready for the macbook Pro and iMac! Although Nvidia's G92/8800 series parts are good, especially for dual-booting Windows games, Nvidia's drivers on OSX are inferior to AMD. It would be great to see a 4850-derived product available on the iMac and MBPro!

I don't want to see ANY AMD products, other than GPU's, in an Apple product.

That's a company on the quick path to irrelevance in CPU's, and I hope Apple is smart enough to stay far away from it.
post #112 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

There's no point of having number pad on wireless keyboards. Its wireless for a reason not just to sit on a table. That's why there's wired version. Wireless size is perfect size that fits on your lab when you sit or lay, it would be too long for ergonomics.

I don't agree. For the increasing use of computers in the living room in A/V systems, with large screen 1920 x 1080p monitors, a small computer unit tucked away in the system with a wireless keyboard and mouse in your lap on the couch, or coffee table, is not much different from using the machine elsewhere. I have a Mini which I use to digitize my collection of LP's there. I use it for other purposes as well, as it's connected to my wired 1Gb Ethernet network.

I don't want a crippled product. I use the F19 key, for example, to switch to the full Spaces layout. The Enter key is also better at times than the return key, and the keypad is just easier at times than the numbers spaced out on top. I also use the other keys that are removed.

There should be both.
post #113 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Less than 700 movies on Blu-Ray now and many you wouldn't watch.

I can't agree, we've already bought about 20. That number will only increase as time goes on. All new movies of any note are being released on BD. As time goes on, many more older ones will as well. We've bought two, and they are spectacular compared to the DVD versions.
post #114 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There have been several news reports of how, despite the BD / HD-DVD war being over, BluRay disc player sales have not taken off as many expected.

The timing is unfortunate. We are in the middle of an economic slowdown. These types of products are being relegated to the back burners for many people right now. If we were in a period of growth, and this goes for the rest of the world as well, where in several places, such as Europe, where they are being hit hard by the slowdown, we would be seeing sales at much higher levels. I just saw an ad for a Sylvania BD player for two hundred something. By the holidays, people will begin buying again.
post #115 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

You obviously don't talk to as many people as I do regarding technology. There are a fair number of reasonably smart people out in the world who think that Blu-Ray is a type of sunglasses, not the up-and-coming next generation of optical media. I have no doubt that the some of the savvy people here could and would use it if they had it on their computer, but the majority of people won't for the foreseeable future.

You must not talk to as many people as I talk to about technology, because most of them who already have a large screen Tv, which are selling very well, are considering getting BD within a few months, most by the holiday season.

Many people outside of the technology sector I know, who can be expected to care less than those who are involved in it are also telling me that.

I've also been told from a friend who is in corporate management in BB that BD sales have been strong.

I've been told the same thing from an acquaintance in Disney.
post #116 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And the point of that comment is?

He had no point.
post #117 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

You stick to your 64GB $350.00 USB thumb drives and I'll continue with my 50GB for $20.00 Blu-Ray purchases thank you.

They sell thumb drives in the shape of sushi, lego, real thumbs, cars and other toys you know. Maybe you'll find those features worth the $350.00 price tag.

Have fun.

p.s. You also won't be able to create Blu-Ray HD media or "back up" Blu-Ray movies with your Lego or sushi shaped thumb drive. You will however be able to join and stack many Lego shaped thumb drives together as high as you like.

while your hotheaded remark has succeeded in making you look like an idiot it wasn't very affective at proving your point... maybe you should try again??
post #118 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

Ug! God no. Why would you want blu-ray on ANY computer? It's locked down like a drum, is a power-hog, and stores less than a good-sized thumb drive.


I find your stance quite bizarre. Why would you not want a BD player in Apple hardware? It's the current state of the art in movie playback, absolutely nothing comes anywhere near it. (not since the death of HD DVD anyway) BD movies would look fantastic on the 24" iMac screen.

Plus BDs are a great backup format, VASTLY superior to any thumb drive on the planet in fact. Look at the price of a blank 25gb blu-ray.

Go away and watch Blade Runner on a 50 or 60" Pioneer plasma from a Blu-Ray then see how you feel about the format.
post #119 of 204
I don't understand the resistance to adding Blue-Ray optical drives in the next round of Mac updates.

It may be a bit 'high end' for entry level consumer focused machines like the mini and MB, but as others have stated, Blue Ray movie playback on a 24" iMac would probably be stunning. The lack of BR drives in the MBP and Mac Pro machines is starting to get embarrassing.

I know Apple would rather have me download my HD content, but I would like the availability of BR on my next machine. I think Apple would be wise to listen to its users in this regard as I suspect most would like that option as well.
post #120 of 204
Remember those? Are we ever going to see refreshes to that red headed step child of Apple's?

I need a new machine but at this point feel like I should wait for the next version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap