or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bloomberg accidentally publishes Steve Jobs obituary

Bloomberg accidentally publishes Steve Jobs obituary

post #1 of 57
Financial news service Bloomberg spooked some Apple investors on Wednesday when it mistakenly published an obituary for company co-founder Steve Jobs.

The incident occurred at 4:27 p.m Eastern time after a reporter making updates to the stock 17-page obit inadvertently pushed it to thousands of corporate clients through a newswire.

A copy of the release snagged by Gawker shows template holders for Jobs' age and cause of death. Also published with the piece was a laundry list of people Bloomberg reporters should contact in the event of Jobs' passing, including former girl friend Heidi Roizen and Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, who purchased an early circuit board for the game Breakout from Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak back in the 70's.

The obit opened by commending Jobs as the man who "helped make personal computers as easy to use as telephones, changed the way animated films are made, persuaded consumers to tune into digital music and refashioned the mobile phone.

A quote from Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, also published early in the obit, praised Jobs as the best "inspirational leader" he'd ever met. "He's got a belief in the excellence of products," Gates said in the quote recorded over a decade ago. "He's able to communicate that."

Jobs' health has been an ongoing topic of concern for both investors and those who admire his contributions to modern technology ever since his triumphant battle with pancreatic cancer five years ago. Those worries peaked earlier this year when unsettling photos from Apple's annual developers conference raised new questions as to the cause behind the chief executive's increasingly gaunt appearance.

The Times later reported that Jobs had been battling a nutritional problem in the wake of his cancer surgery, and that he recently underwent a second surgical procedure to address an issue that was contributing to his weight loss. However, some still feared his cancer may have returned in the process.

To set all matters straight, Jobs personally contacted the Times' Joe Nocera by telephone, called him a "slime bucket," but then added that his ongoing health issues werent life-threatening and that he doesnt have a recurrence of cancer.
post #2 of 57
I've always been told to be prepared but this?
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
post #3 of 57
Holy moley... rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 57
wow... unbelievable.
post #5 of 57
Media outlets often prepare obits on famous personalities in advance.
Jobs will have fun with this at the next media event.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #6 of 57
in your headline you accidently misspelled the word accidentally.
\
post #7 of 57
Wow, I can't believe he's dead.
post #8 of 57
This is SLANDEROUS.....I would sue these bastards.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #9 of 57
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #10 of 57
That's unbelievable!

Poor Steve, good thing he at least got to use that (in)famous insult one last time!
But in all seriousness, seeing your own obituary in the paper would be really spooky... no?

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #11 of 57
I wish the obit was more believable and was published while the market was open.
I would love to see how the market would react.
Would AAPL shed 10% of it's value or 50%?
What kind of buying opportunity will the real obit create?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Long live our glorious leader!
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

I've always been told to be prepared but this?

This is standard practice. All the major publications and TV companies have pre-prepared biographies and obituaries, at least in outline form, for most public figures. They don't normally leak them beforehand though - very embarrassing!
post #13 of 57
A lawsuit is happening, I can feel it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #14 of 57
What if I told you that he really was gone and that what you see is his clone. This could easily be the case and if you think I'm living in another dimension I am.
post #15 of 57
Steve's not going to let the Grim Reaper take him until he's damn well ready!
post #16 of 57
he's been gone a long time, think "weekend at stevie's". Ivey's been the puppet master, propping the stock up!

I hope he stays around a long time, I like his attitude (over the top), and his design and style. The world is a better place for it.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #17 of 57
That is wrong on so many levels.
post #18 of 57
I guarantee that no less than 3 people lost their jobs for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #19 of 57
Haha. Steve Jobs: Dying since 1955...

Still nice to get to read your own obit. Perhaps if more people did they'd live their lives a bit better.
post #20 of 57
Now this ALMOST forces Steve Jobs to show up on some TV or in public to show he's still alive, but in what shape???
post #21 of 57
For some reason, I now have the Faith No More song, "Surprise! You're Dead" stuck in my head....
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthboy View Post

For some reason, I now have the Faith No More song, "Surprise! You're Dead" stuck in my head....

.... and I have "Don't Fear the Reaper" with that cowbell bangin' in mine.
post #23 of 57
I wonder if any stock traded hands off the news during the extended hours session...
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

.... and I have "Don't Fear the Reaper" with that cowbell bangin' in mine.

I sense a Tribute to Steve Jobs album, complete with these cover songs, in the making.
post #25 of 57
Steve had better just stop with the innovation right now.
post #26 of 57
" refashioned the mobile phone.”- That's lame for such a revolutionary device.
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

" refashioned the mobile phone.”- That's lame for such a revolutionary device.

Thats what it is though, at a base level. While it is hugely different and has many changes, at its basic level its a phone.

And for others, I can assure you no one lost their job for this. People accidently post incorrect information all the time.
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Jobs will have fun with this at the next media event.

You've heard of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" and you might even be going to see David Zuckers's "An American Carol" soon to play in October. May I introduce to you...

"An Apple Carol"...

I can see it now at the next Keynote...

Dark auditorium....

"Fake" fog smoke hovering just above the ground...

"Triumphant" music building up to a crescendo timed with a laser light show...

Steve, regally dressed in a black turtleneck and blue jeans, "floats" out to center stage and in a ghostly manner says...

"I am the ghost of PC Past. Take hold of my iPhone and behold the new MacBook and MacBook Pros and may I introduce to you, The Mac Tabbbbbllllleeeeettttttt."

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #29 of 57
Bastards! They've killed Stevie!
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You've heard of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" and you might even be going to see David Zuckers's "An American Carol" soon to play in October. May I introduce to you...

"An Apple Carol"...

Dark auditorium....

Steve, regally dressed in a black turtleneck and blue jeans, "floats" out to center stage and in a ghostly manner says...

"I am the ghost of PC Past. Take hold of my iPhone and behold the new MacBook and MacBook Pros and may I introduce to you, The Mac Tabbbbbllllleeeeettttttt."

post #31 of 57
This is typical Apple Bashing Technique by Hegefunds and Short Sellers. The Srock headed down as soon as the story broke. Jim Goldman posted a Tech Ticker Story pointing out it was an error. That Page was pulled after a few minutes, Go to CBNC and it's page not found now.
post #32 of 57
Apple should sue them, but it's unlikely that they will have any luck. This sure lends a new twist to bashing Apple. While they always have obits on file for famous people, they shouldn't be releasing them. Doesn't surprise me that any wire service would do it - look at some of the lies they print anyway.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"An Apple Carol"...

Dark auditorium....

I was thinking more like the see-thru Yoda in Return of the Jedi! -"Feel the iForce of Snow Leopard"
post #34 of 57
In accordance with the Fairness Doctrine, Bloomberg should have to publish Bill Gates obituary and then retract it. Just to be fair.
post #35 of 57
On what basis? Mistakenly saying someone's dead isn't slanderous or defamatory, and not
all mistakes can be litigated (otherwise Gates would have been executed long ago :-)
post #36 of 57
And it is written that in the last days, he shall arise from the dead, and shall say unto the heaven's and unto the earth, 'you sir, are a slime bucket!'
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Thats what it is though, at a base level. While it is hugely different and has many changes, at its basic level its a phone.

No, it is a computer that happens to make phone calls.
post #38 of 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Bastards! They've killed Stevie!
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I can smell windows Vista behind this..
post #40 of 57
It reminded me of his speech a few years ago. Please watch till the end. Thank you!! Btw, I wasn't there. I just remember reading about it back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bloomberg accidentally publishes Steve Jobs obituary