or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Decent weekly news podcast?

Decent weekly news podcast?

post #1 of 7
Any to recommend? I'm sort of a guy that follows news I'm really interested in quite closely (Apple of course and games), but don't really pay much attention to the general news (on TV etc). I would like to keep up to date on more or less what's going on out in the world though.

There generally seems to be a lot of daily ones which are too much for me, and also: politics and war bore me to tears. Most of the general news podcasts seem to pretty much just cover politics. I had subscribed to Harpers Weekly via email before but I've deregistered now since it goes on for paragraphs and paragraphs about US politics and only a few short sentences about what happens out in the world.

Any recommendations? Thx
post #2 of 7
If politics and wars "bore [you] to tears," you're out of luck. General world news right now is all about US politics and wars, so bear with it. If you're looking to hear about local news in foreign markets, you'll have to learn their languages, and you'll probably also need to put together a working knowledge of the European football leagues because a good chunk of the local news in European feeds covers them.

On the other hand, there are plenty of good business and finance oriented podcasts. WSJ does some decent ones that also touch on current events. Somehow I don't guess that's what your looking for. I'm not sure what you're looking for exists, at least in some part because news is always about politics and wars no matter where you go.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #3 of 7
Hmm, yeah :/ But I don't really think that news is always *about* politics though. Sure things will always involve politics, but it doesn't mean every story has to be about it. If people decide to crash planes into tall buildings in New York, there will be lots of politics involved, but it doesn't mean that all news has to focus on the political side of things. There's tons of things happening out in the world: people dying in earthquakes, some Austrian keeping his daughter in a dungeon... I just really don't want to wade through hours of politics to get to a snippet of it :/
post #4 of 7
I think it would be hard to find a weekly news summary. These days with the internet yesterday's news is forgotten. Go check what NPR has. Or maybe the BBC.
post #5 of 7
Yeah :/ BBC has a podcast called NewsPod which is quite decent but it's like a daily 40 minute podcast that I don't have the time for
post #6 of 7
Maybe you just don't have time for a weekly news round up.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kLy View Post

Yeah :/ BBC has a podcast called NewsPod which is quite decent but it's like a daily 40 minute podcast that I don't have the time for

If you can't devote 40 minutes, then you might as well just give it up. Seriously. Have you tried one of those new-fangled newspapers?

Or, alternately, you might grab the NPR "Most emailed stories" podcast or PRI's "Here and Now" (link)
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Decent weekly news podcast?