or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is Palin's recent baby hers or her daughter's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Palin's recent baby hers or her daughter's?

post #1 of 183
Thread Starter 
This Daily Kos post argues that Palin's famous Down syndrome baby is not hers, but her daughter's. To summarize the argument:

1. The pictures of Palin don't look like she's pregnant, even when she should have been showing a lot.
2. No one around her knew she was pregnant, even when she should have been showing a lot.
3. Her high school daughter was taken out of school for mono during the time that would have covered the pregnancy.
4. When her water broke she was in Texas but flew all the way back to Alaska to (allegedly) give birth, which would be unusual.

The evidence is hardly slam-dunk, and the fact that the child has Down syndrome, which is usually associated with older mothers, suggests that it really was Palin rather than her daughter. And I don't think this would make her a bad person - to the contrary, actually - but it's an interesting bit of drama nonetheless.
post #2 of 183
The interesting thing about Palin is nobody outside of Alaska knows much about her, so there will be a very interesting period of discovery.

She is an unknown from a rather removed locale where the game seems to be a little different so there will certainly be a few smudges discovered on the painting before long.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #3 of 183
Wow - I vote for the granddaughter hypothesis - there is no way she is 7 months pregnant in that picture.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #4 of 183
Apparently the folks that would have expected to be contacted by the McCain people during the vetting process never were. This could get very weird.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #5 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apparently the folks that would have expected to be contacted by the McCain people during the vetting process never were. This could get very weird.

Maybe she is a practical joke on McCain's part - just a short term suggestion like Harriet Meyers was. She gets Obama to bring the "not experienced enough" meme out into full bloom, and then he swaps her out for Romney.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #6 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Maybe she is a practical joke on McCain's part - just a short term suggestion like Harriet Meyers was. She gets Obama to bring the "not experienced enough" meme out into full bloom, and then he swaps her out for Romney.

Well, there's "mavericky" and then there's "bat shit crazy." Not, now that you mention it, that it seems entirely out of the question.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #7 of 183
I read on a forum somewhere (without a citation) that McCain says they didn't vet her. I haven't found anywhere that says this but that folks SUSPECT she wasn't vetted because some folks hadn't been contacted that might have during a careful vetting. There's also a rumor they are sending folks to check out "troopergate".

WTF? Did McCain do something flagrantly stupid? There is NO FRIGGING WAY they did not vet this woman...but WTF?
post #8 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I read on a forum somewhere (without a citation) that McCain says they didn't vet her. I haven't found anywhere that says this but that folks SUSPECT she wasn't vetted because some folks hadn't been contacted that might have during a careful vetting. There's also a rumor they are sending folks to check out "troopergate".

WTF? Did McCain do something flagrantly stupid? There is NO FRIGGING WAY they did not vet this woman...but WTF?

WTF is kind my reaction too.

One scenario goes like this: McCain really wanted Lieberman, butted heads with the Rove forces and lost.

So in a bit of mavericky pique, he just kinda said "fuck it." Even the other contenders were caught unawares, so it appears to have truly been a snap decision thing. I'm sure his people did whatever they could as quickly as they could, but my hunch is is this was McCain's thing and he wanted to get it out there before the party grown-ups could twist his arm. I'm sure he's been chaffing under the constraints of having to be a "good candidate" and has been yearning to break some rules.

Just look at that Time interview, where he keeps repeating his "official" talking points, sullenly, like a child who has been threatened with punishment if they don't repeat what they've been told.

In some ways, I think this might be a big "fuck you" to the "politically sensible" elements of his party, which makes Palin's defense all the more amusing. It's like he's saying "I don't need a fucking vice president, I'm fucking John fucking McCain. Here's a sexy librarian, now fuck off and let me get back to fighting the commies with my bare hands!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #9 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's like he's saying "I don't need a fucking vice president, I'm fucking John fucking McCain. Here's a sexy librarian, now fuck off and let me get back to fighting the commies with my bare hands!"



okay, best belly laugh of the day.
post #10 of 183
I must confess, I am baffled... absolutely goddam baffled. It all just fits together...

What the hell?

You guys are fucking with my head.

I don't know what it has to do with anything, but it's like an episode of some horrible soap opera.

I really hope it isn't true and that adequate evidence is provided to dispel this wild conspiracy very soon, because it's hurting my brain.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #11 of 183
If it turns out to be true, obviously, Palin will be taken off the ticket. But then how will McCain defend his reckless choice?

Enquiring minds want to know!
post #12 of 183
My wife who's a qualified pregnancy discover says it's all in the boobs. I showed her the Kos page and she say Palin doesn't look pregnant but she's not convinced the daughter is either. So I guess that's half a help.

If this is untrue it will be fodder for the right. If it is, as others have said, it's not too late for Palin to under the Straight Talk Express and pick a new person.

Rate of downs syndrome is higher for older mothers rather than younger mothers. For what that's worth.
post #13 of 183
Ooops Kos may have messed it up. Apparently the pictures of the daughter are a mix on ones take in 2006 and 2008. It could still be the daughter's baby but it puts a stone chip in Kos's windshield.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/259257
post #14 of 183
I don't like this argument anyway.

It is offensive and it shouldn't fucking matter.

There are SO many more ways to critique Palin...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #15 of 183
Mydo, really... what is it with your typing/grammar/whatever? That was barely coherent. It's like whole words are missing and other completely non-sequiturs have replaced random words.

I'm not capping on you, or disagreeing with you, but dude... proofread. And don't rely on spell-checker. Better to misspell a word than to let spell-check stick the wrong word entirely in there.

Your wife, who is a "qualified pregnancy discover"?
post #16 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I don't like this argument anyway.

It is offensive and it shouldn't fucking matter.

There are SO many more ways to critique Palin...

If it's true, then it absolutely well should matter.

Throws light on the whole "abstinence" only thing, as well as on Palin's sense of integrity. I'm sick to death of people without integrity, and this country deserves better. I'd much rather have an inexperienced, honest politician, even one whose values differ widely from my own, than a liar and cheat.

I'd like one instance where Obama is called on his integrity (ignoring the outright, disproved lies of the slime book).

Let's ignore the Bush administration, as it's been done to death, and only a fool thinks Geedub and Tricky Dick are honorable, honest people. But I could point out loads about McCain, especially WRT his recent policy flip-flops, especially on abortion, drilling for oil and the Bush tax cuts. This man lacks integrity. As does Palin. Obama does not.

And Clinton is not a part of this conversation.
post #17 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I don't like this argument anyway.

It is offensive and it shouldn't fucking matter.

There are SO many more ways to critique Palin...

I like Palin other than she might be tied to a church a tad too extreme for me. And her answers were not too bright.

But it does matter from two perspectives: McCain didn't vet his running mate. That's a real dumb decision. Second she lied and participated in a cover up.

Personally, I don't care who the mother is and frankly I give Palin the benefit of the doubt. I DO wish McCain had picked someone more substantial but assuming she survives this test by fire she could do quite well in 4 to 8 years.

The liberals crowing about this have to remember that Obama got his share of stupid rumors and while payback might feel good it's strategically bad unless you've got real proof.
post #18 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Mydo, really... what is it with your typing/grammar/whatever? That was barely coherent. It's like whole words are missing and other completely non-sequiturs have replaced random words.

I'm not capping on you, or disagreeing with you, but dude... proofread. And don't rely on spell-checker. Better to misspell a word than to let spell-check stick the wrong word entirely in there.

Your wife, who is a "qualified pregnancy discover"?

Okay.
post #19 of 183
This is a really disgusting bit of public conjecture. Palin has plenty of drama in tow without nonsense like this.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #20 of 183
I think the timing of this is wrong. Kos should have waited until after the convention. Unless they were going to get scooped. After the convention it would have been harder to toss Palin under the bus.

Despite the messed up date on the photos the whole thing plausible. The daughter was kept out of school for months. If they delivered at a hospital someone would know who the mother was. I think it would be hard to cover that up. Too many eyes and too much ethics. It would have been better to go "granola" and do a home birth. We'll have to wait and see. Expect a statement from Palin on Monday.

This is too juicy.
post #21 of 183
Thread Starter 
I guess I don't understand why this is so off limits. It's just speculation, and it can be easily disproved if it's untrue. It's not a smear like saying Obama is a secret Muslim, because it's disprovable and it's not even negative about her. I think people would probably sympathize with her if it turned out to be true - I know I would. You're trying to protect your daughter, so you say it's your baby, when you're a governor? That takes some serious balls... um, ovaries.
post #22 of 183
Hmmmm seems to me that there indeed is a cover up going on.

Trig was supposed to be a Premie right? Ok so he was roughly 6lbs. That's easily
going to show at 7 months because he'd still be roughly 4.5-5lbs.

We wouldn't even be discussing this had Bristol Palin not suddenly disappeared from school
prior to the birth of Trig for 5 months. I've known plenty of people who've had Mono but
never anyone that had it for 5 months.

I understand that it's a political nightmare to have your teen child become pregnant but if we're going to slam the Edward's and Spitzer's of the world what are we to do with someone who could be willfully deceiving the American public?

This stinks.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 183
My son was 2.5 weeks early and came in at 6 lbs. Unless you are obese, everyone knows your pregnant at 8 months. I'm going to start looking for photos of Palin before the due date. But if they were out there Kos would have found them by now.

I wouldn't call 4 weeks a "premie" in this day and age. They do c-sections much earlier than for medical reasons. I'm not always convinced they get the expected due date correct. They use laster period and ultra sound but if the tech doing the US is rushed to get though the exam and it happens earlier in the pregnancy than ideal then the guessing could be off.

Oh and tonton my information comes from being in around pregnant women non stop for the last 6 years. Including my own wife's 4. If that meets with your approval. Please spel and gramar check this post.
post #24 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

My son was 2.5 weeks early and came in at 6 lbs. Unless you are obese, everyone knows your pregnant at 8 months. I'm going to start looking for photos of Palin before the due date. But if they were out there Kos would have found them by now.

I wouldn't call 4 weeks a "premie" in this day and age. They do c-sections much earlier than for medical reasons. I'm not always convinced they get the expected due date correct. They use laster period and ultra sound but if the tech doing the US is rushed to get though the exam and it happens earlier in the pregnancy than ideal then the guessing could be off.

Oh and tonton my information comes from being in around pregnant women non stop for the last 6 years. Including my own wife's 4. If that meets with your approval. Please spel and gramar check this post.

Once again, I wasn't disagreeing with you about your wife's experience. Just reminding you (harshly) to proofread.
post #25 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

This is a really disgusting bit of public conjecture. Palin has plenty of drama in tow without nonsense like this.

Honestly, how is this any worse than the Larry Sinclair story?
post #26 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Once again, I wasn't disagreeing with you about your wife's experience. Just reminding you (harshly) to proofread.

Yes thank you. I needed that. Can I have another? Here's more chances...


Back on topic. I can't find pics of Palin pregnant. I'm stuck on the fact that if the baby was delivered in a hospital by the daughter it would almost be impossible to cover up. No matter if your the governor or not.

The labor and delivery story doesn't bother me. Being around midwives (or is it midwifferies) and doulas for the last 6 years I've heard it all. Delivery in the font lawn, delivery at home before anyone knew what was going to happen, 48 hour labor, natural of twins.
post #27 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I guess I don't understand why this is so off limits. It's just speculation, and it can be easily disproved if it's untrue. It's not a smear like saying Obama is a secret Muslim, because it's disprovable and it's not even negative about her. I think people would probably sympathize with her if it turned out to be true - I know I would. You're trying to protect your daughter, so you say it's your baby, when you're a governor? That takes some serious balls... um, ovaries.

<ominous SBVT voice>
Sarah Palin has been lying. To her family. To her constituents. To her state. And now, to the nation. Palin knew that on her already weak resume, "mother of an unwed teenage mother" would destroy her political desires, and so she lied. She cared more about her political career than she did about doing the right thing when her daughter got pregnant.

Sarah Palin: embarrassed, or just ambitious?
</ominous SBVT voice>

Personally, I hate it when we get bogged down in personal indiscretions. I think Palin's batshit crazy positions are plenty. No need to drag her daughter into this.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #28 of 183


She grew very very very quickly.

I am still confused.

[edit]

I'm assuming this is from 2008...

Hoping this whole thing is bullshit and we can get back to laughing at how unqualified she is.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #29 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I guess I don't understand why this is so off limits.

It's not off-limits by the norms for what passes as political discourse. But I think some Democrats just loathe media commentary of this kind of stuff after our politicians got burned for it time after time. I'm with midwinter, hmurchison, and everyone who have a bad taste in their mouths about it. No reflection on you, of course. It just doesn't sit right here.
post #30 of 183
Wow! How'd you find that?

Edit to add...


She has a fat face there. Looks pregnant to me. Hard to tell if her boobs are bigger there? Could Kos get sued over this?
post #31 of 183
It wasn't like Kos himself posted this. It wasn't even a recommended diary. Anyone can post on that site.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #32 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post



She grew very very very quickly.

I am still confused.

[edit]

I'm assuming this is from 2008...

Hoping this whole thing is bullshit and we can get back to laughing at how unqualified she is.

Well, there it is. If this can be proven to be from 2008, then we can close this case. But that doesn't mean the case shouldn't have been opened. And it also says nothing about the horribly irresponsible decision-making to fly back to Alaska then go to a backwater hospital.
post #33 of 183
Oooo I didn't realize that. I though it was guest blogger or something.
post #34 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Could Kos get sued over this?

I don't see Daily Kos getting sued by Sarah Palin for this attack on her daughter.

I do see the Democrats losing the election, though.


PALIN -McCain 08


V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #35 of 183
Politically it wouldn't be wise. If proven false the right will use this as "another liberal media smear" and then parlay that to deflect all ligit' dirt dug up on Palin and McCain.
post #36 of 183
Has this even moved beyond the post at Kos and some mild speculation here and there? It's not like the DNC has been issuing press releases or anything.

The response is actually quite restrained, compared to right wing blogs, where they're still yammering about Obama's fake birth certificate. As recently as a few days ago, half the winger blogosphere was completely consumed by the idea that the Obama campaign had set up a fake website purporting to be a conservative group scolding Palin for supporting gay rights.

At the end of the day, they just kind of went "oops, but totally typical of the sort of stuff Obama would probably do, if it occurred to him."

The left has a long way to go to even begin to scale the heights of shamelessness that have been conquered by the right.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #37 of 183
Whichever is true, her daughter or her granddaughter, it ain't good, and shows reckless thinking that doesn't belong near the Oval Office.

This girl is certain a small town girl who thinks the game board is different. Small town mentality of the bad kind.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #38 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Whichever is true, her daughter or her granddaughter, it ain't good, and shows reckless thinking that doesn't belong near the Oval Office.

This girl is certain a small town girl who thinks the game board is different. Small town mentality of the bad kind.

No, you can't use those words to describe a Republican. Those words are only for describing Democrats.

Democrats are "small town". Republicans are "down to earth".
Democrats are "elitist". Republicans are "straight talking".
Democrats are "divisive". Republicans are "mavericks".
Democrats are "pandering". Republicans are "non-partisan".
Democrats are "flip-floppers". Republicans are "flexible".

post #39 of 183
Thanks for the word-check in Repuglish!

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #40 of 183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

<ominous SBVT voice>
Sarah Palin has been lying. To her family. To her constituents. To her state. And now, to the nation. Palin knew that on her already weak resume, "mother of an unwed teenage mother" would destroy her political desires, and so she lied. She cared more about her political career than she did about doing the right thing when her daughter got pregnant.

Sarah Palin: embarrassed, or just ambitious?
</ominous SBVT voice>

Personally, I hate it when we get bogged down in personal indiscretions. I think Palin's batshit crazy positions are plenty. No need to drag her daughter into this.

Well that would be ridiculous, but is that happening? It seems to me that there's just People magazine style "Brangelina is pregnant!" speculation on a few websites. it's very easily disprovable. And it's not even negative about her. It's almost certainly false, and then you say OK, like when a iPod spy photo is proven false. On the off chance that it is true, would you suggest that it not be discussed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is Palin's recent baby hers or her daughter's?