or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock" - Page 2

post #41 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

Even if announced next week I highly doubt they would be available for sale this month.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Both of these are looking more likely.

Are you giving a frowny face to an optional subscription service? Why?
post #43 of 155
Apple's Back To School promo is going until the 16th. It would be foolish to think Apple would release new notebooks before this is finished.

I'm sure they will follow suit right after the BTS promo is done.

At least they better or I will lose my mind since I dontaned my MacBook to my little sister for school already...
post #44 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Are you giving a frowny face to an optional subscription service? Why?

The emoticon was for the increasing likelihood of new notebooks case changes. The flyer does point to a new music type service, but I have no interest in it so it won't affect me either way.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 155
Large more storage capacity for iPod Touch. Price drop, due to the iPhone stealing some of the sales.
post #46 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Large more storage capacity for iPod Touch. Price drop, due to the iPhone stealing some of the sales.

What do you have in mind for the Touch? What capacity would you put in? What pricepoint would it be it?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #47 of 155
Apple will also probably show off the Snow Patrol 'interactive album' thingy.
post #48 of 155
The background is "Apple Green" - maybe they will be announcing the Beatles?

If so, it's very likely they will be announcing a Special Edition iPod, pre-loaded with the Beatles complete library.

Skip
post #49 of 155
If the iPod refreshed are not the mystery 'Product Transition' then the Mac is most likely it. If so, then Apple will have to release new models by the end of September because the fiscal quarter ends in September.
post #50 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiporeilly View Post

Agreed. I love my iPhone but still prefer to use my iPod Classic to listen to music. It is so much easier to use the click wheel than leaving the screen on constantly or having to take it out of standby just to change a track.

A solution that would please everyone is having iPhones and iPod Touches support the 50 Apple FM receiver I bought. That would allow me to use the click wheel AND have a touch interface!

You don't need to takke it out of standby, you just dbl tap the home key and a small iPod interface pops up.
post #51 of 155
I have my cheque book poised and ready for the all-new mini updates!












post #52 of 155
I see the smaller 8G being discontinued, 16G, 32G, and some higher model. Not sure exactly sure. Hasn't there been an capacity increase almost every time they have a music event. I have no clue on the pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you have in mind for the Touch? What capacity would you put in? What pricepoint would it be it?

Oh yeah, and subscription based service.
post #53 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

..... The click wheel is the best interface ever for playing music. You don't even have to look at it. ....

+++

Don't understand why people want to see this disappear.
post #54 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

You can always use a vacation.
post #55 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

+++

Don't understand why people want to see this disappear.

Oh, because a lot of people think the multi-touch interface is so whiz-bang cool. It is pretty cool (except for all of the fingerprints) but for playing and adjusting audio, the click wheel is better.

When I go out walking and want to listen to some music, I don't even think about taking my iPod touch. The nano with the click wheel is what I grab.
post #56 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

+++

Don't understand why people want to see this disappear.

Agreed. The Touch interface has it's pros, but the Nano has it's too with the biggest being the clickwheel. I don't see Apple getting rid of it any time soon. I think it'll be on the Touch long after the Classic is gone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

The background is "Apple Green" - maybe they will be announcing the Beatles?

If so, it's very likely they will be announcing a Special Edition iPod, pre-loaded with the Beatles complete library.

Skip

McCain's first speech after his win had a green background also. As far as I remember, he didn't introduce them either.

Stop with the Beatles already people.
post #58 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Oh, because a lot of people think the multi-touch interface is so whiz-bang cool. It is pretty cool (except for all of the fingerprints) but for playing and adjusting audio, the click wheel is better.

Fingerprints aren't an issue. You can't really see them when the phone is on.

Quote:
When I go out walking and want to listen to some music, I don't even think about taking my iPod touch. The nano with the click wheel is what I grab.

But the clickwheel is better for when your hand is using the device in a pocket.

I wonder if they can come out with a wheel that's in the screen when the iPod function is activated that would give some sort of interactive response so that you could work with your thumb without seeing it.

Perhaps a small electrical signal, or sharply focussed vibration to let you know that your finger is following the wheel. That could work.

If it can be done with a button pattern, it could be done with a wheel pattern.
post #59 of 155
I don't get it, why are so many of you jumping up and down for music subscriptoins? Exploding media is the mess Apple rescued us from! Unless they offer it as a concession to the Music Labels in order to get iTunes+ to be wider-adopted it's insane

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #60 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

While the web has seen clues to a tall screen iPod nano, maybe the introduction is the long awaited introduction to the Apple Music Store of The Beatles collection that was said to finalizing when rumors of that last surfaced.

Coming just a couple days before the 11th, the sad anniversary, the iPod and iPhone users of the world would have something to celebrate.

Right, because finally being able to buy The Beatles at lower quality than the CDs that have been available for years will certainly be cause for celebration...
post #61 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Fingerprints aren't an issue. You can't really see them when the phone is on.

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!
post #62 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

Or rent one for a couple of weeks.
post #63 of 155
The invite image is a mockup of an iPod/iPhone display, but the dimensions are different.

It is essentially a 540 x 400 pixel display, which is a 4:3 pixel ratio instead of the current iPod Touch and iPhone pixel ratio of3:2.

The iPod display now is 163 pixels per inch and is a 3.5 inch diagonal display. At the same resolution, a 540x400 iPod display would be a 4 inch diagonal display.
post #64 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But the clickwheel is better for when your hand is using the device in a pocket.

Or anytime you need to stay focused on something else and still be enabled to use the iPod. My point also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #65 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

The invite image is a mockup of an iPod/iPhone display, but the dimensions are different.

It is essentially a 540 x 400 pixel display, which is a 4:3 pixel ratio instead of the current iPod Touch and iPhone pixel ratio of3:2.

The iPod display now is 163 pixels per inch and is a 3.5 inch diagonal display. At the same resolution, a 540x400 iPod display would be a 4 inch diagonal display.

If you look at the curved corners, you will see that it is in fact a window. Clearly because it's a window, but not a full Mac OS X window, it's an iTablet OS window, and the iPod software on the iTablet is going to step backwards to classic iPod interface instead of using the iPhone software.

i.e., you can't read anything from this, it makes no sense to go to a 4:3 pixel ratio. 3:2 is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.
post #66 of 155
Thanks Apple for another special event for iPods.

Now seriously, after this one, please focus on the Mac Hardware and software.

We need:
MacBook Pro updates
MacPro updates
Displays updates

on the software side, improvements and bug fixing on Leopard and many other apps.

Just a bit tired of massive iPhone and iPod news lately.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #67 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I don't get it, why are so many of you jumping up and down for music subscriptoins? Exploding media is the mess Apple rescued us from! Unless they offer it as a concession to the Music Labels in order to get iTunes+ to be wider-adopted it's insane

I used to be wanting a subscription, but I no longer need it. I have all of the music that I want. But, that being said, I really only listen to 80's music, and they aren't making much new 80's music. People who listen to Pop music would proably love a subscription.

Beatles? Who cares. I already have all the Beatles music that I want. I would imaging that most people do too.

I'm hoping for a 4 or 8GB Shuffle wtih no physical changes maybe other than a usb plug to use it for data, like a thumb drive.

I also need a new MacBook. i just sold my old one, before new ones are announced, so that it still had it's value.
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Reply
post #68 of 155
Quote:
silouette

Dude, don't you have spell-check? It's silhouette!

I think it's a new geology hardware/software system. San Francisco is a place where people are highly concerned with seismology.

That's how I'm reading the secret message that Apple subliminally sent out today!
post #69 of 155
(Forgive me for not reading each and every post)

I'm reading here and it seems we have people who feel that the click wheel is still needed. I must fully disagree. I used to own a Sony MD Walkman, was pretty awesome (I was 12), the point though is, it had this remote attachment (it worked without it). It worked great, very very tactical, and it even had a built in display so I didn't have to take my Walkman out of my pocket to see what track I was on (had CD TEXT) turn up the volume, etc. Why is it thought that a click wheel is so important? When obviously it wouldn't be hard to put a remote inline with the dock connect. Here's what i'm talking about http://store.whsle.biz/images/RM-MC33EL.jpg

Also the touch interface is far superior if you know what you're doing
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #70 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

If you look at the curved corners, you will see that it is in fact a window. Clearly because it's a window, but not a full Mac OS X window, it's an iTablet OS window, and the iPod software on the iTablet is going to step backwards to classic iPod interface instead of using the iPhone software.

i.e., you can't read anything from this, it makes no sense to go to a 4:3 pixel ratio. 3:2 is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.

What are you smoking?!...

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

Reply

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

Reply
post #71 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

i.e., you can't read anything from this, it makes no sense to go to a 4:3 pixel ratio. 3:2 is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.

You're right, it doesn't make sense to take a step backward for the iPod/iPhone display.

Perhaps it is a "future product transition" and not an iPod.
post #72 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I'm reading here and it seems we have people who feel that the click wheel is still needed. <snip> Here's what i'm talking about http://store.whsle.biz/images/RM-MC33EL.jpg

So you would have me attach a funky device to my iPod to accomplish what it already does with the click wheel?

To quote Ronbo from an earlier post: "The iPhone touch interface is perfect for manipulating what you're attending to visually. It's nice for watching movies and such. But it requires more work than the scroll wheel for music and audio-book tasks."
post #73 of 155
Sad to say, it isn't hard to predict what Apple will do based on its history:


iPod shuffle: 2GB ($49) and 4GB ($69)
iPod nano: tall redesign, 8GB ($149) and 16GB ($199), multiple new colours
iPod touch: slight redesign, 8GB ($199), 16GB ($299), 32GB ($399), 64GB ($499)
iPod classic: may drop to just one model, 120GB ($249); I haven't seen a 1.8-inch drive above 160GB.


The bias is definitely towards the iPod touch now. Why promote an iPod classic other than to keep the capacity-at-all-costs types happy? The iPod touch lets Apple skim a little profit just about any time you want to load it with something: a bit for your third-party app, a bit from your iTunes song or video, even a bit from your major firmware upgrade. Not to mention that many people increasingly want a mobile platform, not just a one-function gadget.
post #74 of 155
If there is one thing we have learned from Apple's invite graphics and posters and MW, it is that we have no freekn' clue what they are going to do. So we wait and guess aimlessly until the day comes.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #75 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

I find the anti-glare screen protector greatly reduces finger prints.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #76 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Sad to say, it isn't hard to predict what Apple will do based on its history:


iPod shuffle: 2GB ($49) and 4GB ($69)
iPod nano: tall redesign, 8GB ($149) and 16GB ($199), multiple new colours
iPod touch: slight redesign, 8GB ($199), 16GB ($299), 32GB ($399), 64GB ($499)
iPod classic: may drop to just one model, 120GB ($249); I haven't seen a 1.8-inch drive above 160GB.

Apple refreshes iPods in September in preparation for the holidays. No surprise there.

I doubt there will be more than two models of the touch next week; probably 16 and 32GB.

It would be nice to see something surprising like a slightly larger iPod touch that's more suitable for web surfing and e-reading, but I wouldn't count on it.

A switch back to the tall nano form will be welcome. The 3G nano is too easy to drop and hard to operate one-handed.
post #77 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I find the anti-glare screen protector greatly reduces finger prints.

What kind? Perhaps I should get one.
post #78 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I doubt there will be more than two models of the touch next week; probably 16 and 32GB.

I ask and I ask butno one seems to have an answer how Apple could put 64GB flash in the Touch for $500.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #79 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

What kind? Perhaps I should get one.

You can buy them from the Apple Store Online, but Apple Retail Stores should have plenty in stock.

For iPhone 3G:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed/produc...mco=MTM2MzEwNQ

For iPod touch:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed/produc...g&mco=NzE5NTkx

A $15 investment in your iPhone or iPod touch is nothing. And if you don't like it, you can always remove it without damaging the glass screen. Good luck!

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #80 of 155
More to the point, lets hope Steve Jobs is on stage lookin like he ate all the pies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"