Originally Posted by kari.patila
This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.
Dude, if it is directly income producing, get the MBP 512mb VRAM NOW. I'm serious. Because:
1. The MBP currently is at its most stable overall build quality (apart from issues which show up within a few months). Crazy ass sh1t like video chips melting have been solved, for the most part.
2. The new MBP will either be
(a) A speed bump only, in which case not worth waiting so long for, or
(b) Totally fantastically new, in which case is a Rev A which involves early adopter risk*.
*This is not as trivial as it sounds, especially for income-producing Macs, you want it no niggles from Day 1 until at least Day 100 because that's the most critical period of you setting up your Mac and using it at work, etc.
I hope this helps to clarify your decision. I am waiting for my re-negotiated work contract to be more firmly in writing, this includes my request for a company loaned MBP 15" 512mb VRAM. Good frickin' enough because the new MBP will be popular as heck and hard to obtain in large quantities anyways (for my employer)...
3. This Sep 9th event is 99% likely to be only about iPods. Which means portables are perhaps only speedbumped (looks that way, with brand-spanking new models Macworld Jan 2009)... to take the Mac range into the Christmas frenzy period.
There's too much iPhone 3G chaos right now that Apple may very well want their Mac range to be as rock solid and worry-free (for Apple themselves too) for the rest of the year. Which could mean either just one brand new MBP range, with speedbumps for the rest, towards the later part of Sep or even as far as early Oct.
I know, it can be frustrating with new models, and I see especially Mac resellers making huge, big mistakes draining their inventory in hopes of new models... then not having anything substantial to sell for months and months while waiting for new models. This is a wrong strategy IMO for end users or businesses or Mac resellers.