or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock" - Page 3

post #81 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

For bonus points, (without looking it up), upon which syllable does the emphasis fall? 2nd or 3rd?

Sisyphean or
Sisyphean

My personal Sisyphean task is convincing people (particularly our friends in the UK) that corporations are singular, not plural. Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.
Drives me nuts.
post #82 of 155
As far as the clickwheel goes, I agree it's nice to be able to manipulate things without looking at them. That being said, I don't think it would be hard to fix up a touch screen so it could be used in the same way. Especially since the clickwheels are bogus anymore (just four cursor keys connected by a decorative ring), all you have to do is divide the screen into four parts, and assuming you know in what orientation you put it into your pocket, you can manipulate it just like a current iPod.

Now, if they'd go back to a real scroll wheel, I'd withdraw this, but maybe that could be done on a multi-touch display as well--maybe as third-party app? Anybody listening?
post #83 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

More to the point, lets hope Steve Jobs is on stage lookin like he ate all the pies

That's soooo wrong... but struck me as terribly funny.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #84 of 155
i am hoping for a full aluminum ipod classic or the touch also might have the black back as the new iphone?? oh and they defiantly change the nano,, i am not that excited as i just bought my ipod touch 32gig last month so no choice for me!!!!

good luck to all the ones who havnt bought one yet, i made my cousin wait for this month as i had come across rumors that there was an apple event in November!!!
post #85 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My personal Sisyphean task is convincing people (particularly our friends in the UK) that corporations are singular, not plural. Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.
Drives me nuts.

You need to get out more.

Actually funny you mention that, as I am from UK, and only yesterday had the 'Apple are' 'Apple is' dilemma. I decided both were equally correct as apple is made up of many people, but at the same time is a singular corpoate entity.
well, now i know.
post #86 of 155
can it be possible that apple introduces skinable ipod interface?? like choose the color and new menu styles, wat are u people's take on that??
post #87 of 155
Quote:

Actually funny you mention that, as I am from UK, and only yesterday had the 'Apple are' 'Apple is' dilemma. I decided both were equally correct as apple is made up of many people, but at the same time is a singular corpoate entity.
well, now i know.

Think of it this way... do you say 'The United Kingdom are...'?
yeah, I do need to get out more.
post #88 of 155
Quote:

More to the point, lets hope Steve Jobs is on stage lookin like he ate all the pies

Considering the "Perfect Storm" of MM, iPhone 3G, AT&T activations, App Store and iPhone v2.0; and Apple's apology for the mess I think Jobs has eaten plenty of humble pie recently.

Quote:

Drives me nuts.

Mine is to convince people that the beauty of language is in its variety, not its obduration,
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #89 of 155
Quote:

Drives me nuts.

You should quit that task because in British English, either is correct, depending on context.

It's like trying to convince us that taps are actually called faucets, roads are called pavements and pavements are called sidewalks.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #90 of 155
Lets get the rumors started then...

1) all iPods now come with 3G chip for purchase and streaming of music.
2) can also be used as a basic phone. Consider this the iPhone nano.
3) all ipods now run osx and can connect to app store, apps will have to be specifically tailored for smaller screen size.
4) new ipod social apps.

Hmm gotta be something more than just aerodynamic ipods, I need something to get disappointed by when nothing materializes,
post #91 of 155
I will be in school until 6:20 PM EST so I will have to wait an eternity to find out what the new ipods will be like.
post #92 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You should quit that task because in British English, either is correct, depending on context.

It's like trying to convince us that taps are actually called faucets, roads are called pavements and pavements are called sidewalks.

Personally, I read a lot of British-published books, and like reading British English. The slight differences give it a certain charm. The one thing I've had trouble adjusting to, like a slight irregularity in the floor that I keep stubbing my toe on, is: "in the event...."

I keep looking ahead for the hypothesis and conclusion: "In the event that so-and-so happens, then what?" When it's not there, my eye has to snap back: Oh yeah, in the event means "It turns out" or "What actually happened was...."

Trips me up for a second every time!
post #93 of 155
Quote:

Hmm, well let's just hope that it's apple pie. Someone in the audience should throw a pie at him and tell him to shut his pie hole. J/K

Y'know, I don't know what mechanism lies beneath the click wheel that allows it to pivot, but a similar one could probably be placed under a touch screen to give it a little tactile feedback. It could probably work under a rectangular screen like the iPhone as well.
post #94 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Y'know, I don't know what mechanism lies beneath the click wheel that allows it to pivot, but a similar one could probably be placed under a touch screen to give it a little tactile feedback. It could probably work under a rectangular screen like the iPhone as well.

Yeah all that stuff might be possible. IMO, the iPhone & touch are from a completely different product line than the regular iPods. So why bother? Apple will probably sell more devices if they don't.
post #95 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari.patila View Post

This really sucks. I need to order a MBP now, not in a month, so I have no choice but to get one. I've already pushed the purchase date too far. It's either that or not working until the new ones are released.

Dude, if it is directly income producing, get the MBP 512mb VRAM NOW. I'm serious. Because:

1. The MBP currently is at its most stable overall build quality (apart from issues which show up within a few months). Crazy ass sh1t like video chips melting have been solved, for the most part.

2. The new MBP will either be
(a) A speed bump only, in which case not worth waiting so long for, or
(b) Totally fantastically new, in which case is a Rev A which involves early adopter risk*.

*This is not as trivial as it sounds, especially for income-producing Macs, you want it no niggles from Day 1 until at least Day 100 because that's the most critical period of you setting up your Mac and using it at work, etc.

I hope this helps to clarify your decision. I am waiting for my re-negotiated work contract to be more firmly in writing, this includes my request for a company loaned MBP 15" 512mb VRAM. Good frickin' enough because the new MBP will be popular as heck and hard to obtain in large quantities anyways (for my employer)...

3. This Sep 9th event is 99% likely to be only about iPods. Which means portables are perhaps only speedbumped (looks that way, with brand-spanking new models Macworld Jan 2009)... to take the Mac range into the Christmas frenzy period.

There's too much iPhone 3G chaos right now that Apple may very well want their Mac range to be as rock solid and worry-free (for Apple themselves too) for the rest of the year. Which could mean either just one brand new MBP range, with speedbumps for the rest, towards the later part of Sep or even as far as early Oct.

I know, it can be frustrating with new models, and I see especially Mac resellers making huge, big mistakes draining their inventory in hopes of new models... then not having anything substantial to sell for months and months while waiting for new models. This is a wrong strategy IMO for end users or businesses or Mac resellers.
post #96 of 155
Quote:

For bonus points, (without looking it up), upon which syllable does the emphasis fall? 2nd or 3rd?

Sisyphean or
Sisyphean

Drives me nuts.

The semi-penultimate, of course. This sub-thread is getting out-of-hand...

Edit: penultimate according to the dictionary. meh.
post #97 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know it doesn't mean much, but this focus on the iPod causes doubt about new notebook cases. Surely there will be a bump in processor, etc., but this apparent Intel delay of Montevina may be pushing things back. My Mac is 9 months old, it's time for a refresh!

I think we have the spoiled-brat contest winner! Your Mac is 9 months old and you are already complaining about a refresh? My PowerBook G4 will be 6 years old this year and my iMac will be 3 years old in February. Both of them are rock solid and no need for replacement. I guess most of us have more important priorities to think about.

My PowerBook is quite versatile in which it can still boot OS 9 for old classic gaming. I have a Mac LC 575 ($49 from eBay) with a PowerPC upgrade card ($40 on eBay) for dual booting 68040 or PowerPC running System 7.6.1 and OS 8.1 for even older games and older software.

Moving the MacBook to an aluminum case is a mistake. If they do that, then all the portables will have crappy wireless range. I will keep the PowerBook G4 for vintage OS 9 software, but one day will move up to a MacBook. I like the size of the MacBook. It is a good compromise between the popular PowerBook G4 12" and the standard size 15". The 15" is slightly too large for traveling, especially when flying in coach. If they go aluminum on the MacBook, then a black MacBook would be a steal at a reduced price.
post #98 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Before some of you idiots raise your hopes up unnecessarily please note that this event is only about ipods according to the source from the article. Suggestions are that Apple will instead hold a seperate event in October to focus on macbooks.
Geezus people, click on a link and read it for yourselves you lazy bunch of good fer nuthins!

I totally agree! What a bunch of Morons! The ad is an IPOD DISPLAY with the caption LET'S ROCK! Yet, we still have retarded comments of "Wow, I can't wait to see the new MacBook!" Just plain sad.

A large capacity Touch would be nice, but I love my iPod Classic 160 GB. I like the tactical feel of the classic iPod because I don't have to look at it to control it. Instead of the Touch, I went with the 16 GB iPhone to replace my Moto Razr. So that works excellent for a selection of music, movies, photos and music video...and of course a kick-ass phone!
post #99 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I think we have the spoiled-brat contest winner! Your Mac is 9 months old and you are already complaining about a refresh?

Exactly what part of my post was I complaining in? I update my machines frequently because I like technology, I also donatenot sellmy old machines to others. I am looking forward to a new MBP in a new case, and have promised my current MB to my nephew. He is expecting it to be shipped as soon as the new machines are available, because that is what I told him I would do. If the notebook refresh isn't updated with a new case it just means I get a Montevina MBP in the old style and I'll buy a new one come January if they are updated again. As for spoiled, absolutely. I have worked hard and smart to be able to treat myself well, but I wouldn't describe myself as being ill behaved.
post #100 of 155
Quote:

Considering the "Perfect Storm" of MM, iPhone 3G, AT&T activations, App Store and iPhone v2.0; and Apple's apology for the mess I think Jobs has eaten plenty of humble pie recently.

Mine is to convince people that the beauty of language is in its variety, not its obduration,

Almost as beautifully sounding as obdurately impenetrable. I was going to 'counter' this one but it has got me beat. I'd love an elaboration.
post #101 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

The semi-penultimate, of course. This sub-thread is getting out-of-hand...

Edit: penultimate according to the dictionary. meh.

Semi penultimate? Do you men the one before the semi last?
post #102 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

Haha, thanks. But it wasn't a thesaurus -- I'm actually a fan of classical mythology (and Camus, to boot). To amplify, with every announced media event, I hope there'll be a significant refresh of the MBP line. There isn't. But new rumors always follow, as do new hopes -- again, to no avail.

An emotional boulder, if you will.
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
post #103 of 155
Quote:

Sisyphean or
Sisyphean

Drives me nuts.

I've always said the latter, but I could be wrong. The former is a bit cumbersome. I didn't look this up, either .
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
post #104 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

I've always said the latter, but I could be wrong. The former is a bit cumbersome. I didn't look this up, either .

I second that - only I have to admit I have never used the word. That's just the way it rolled off the tongue.
post #105 of 155
Quote:

Sis•y•phe•an
US Diacritical: |ˌsisəˈfēən|
IPA: |ˈsɪsɪˈfiːən| (Am I the only one who can't wrap their head around IPA?)

The pronunciation is easier to remember by looking at the Greek root, Sisuphos. I love etymology, "Sisyphus is the son of Aeolus, punished in Hades for his misdeeds in life by being condemned to the eternal task of rolling a large stone to the top of a hill, from which it always rolled down again."
post #106 of 155
Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....9.5.7.1.3.1.1

post #107 of 155
Quote:

An emotional boulder, if you will.

Great imagery. Now it makes sense. Your struggle is internal. Desire versus pragmatism. Sisyphean, indeed.
post #108 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP...A&mco=MzYwMTkz

Give those a whirl. Fingerprints have been much less of an issue since I picked those up.
post #109 of 155
[QUOTE=skottichan;1301702]Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

this is a older model iMac, this offer was there for almost like 3 to 4 weeks ... it is not related to update of iMac but iMac may be updated next tuesday.

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #110 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Just to add confusion as to what's coming out when, I was looking at the clearance section of the Apple online store.

<image>

Since it says previous generation it's the flagship iMac from late 2007 so that doesn't mean anything as that would be the one you'd expect on he refurbished section.

PS: That was was the flagship then, but now 2.8GHz is the base model for the 24" iMacs costs only $1799. It only comes with a 320GB HDD, but the upgrade to 500GB is only $50 more, which makes is the same price as the one here on clearance but the current model in Penryn, has more L2, faster FSB and faster RAM. That isn't much, but it's enough that I wouldn't think the price would be the same for an older processor.
post #111 of 155
Quote:

Since it says previous generation it's the flagship iMac from late 2007 so that doesn't mean anything as that would be the one you'd expect on he refurbished section.

PS: That was was the flagship then, but now 2.8GHz is the base model for the 24" iMacs costs only $1799. It only comes with a 320GB HDD, but the upgrade to 500GB is only $50 more, which makes is the same price as the one here on clearance but the current model in Penryn, has more L2, faster FSB and faster RAM. That isn't much, but it's enough that I wouldn't think the price would be the same for an older processor.

Yeah, I forgot about the recent revision to the 1066MB FSB model. I have to admit, I'm still excited to see what's coming out on the 9th, regardless.
post #112 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Thanks Apple for another special event for iPods.

Now seriously, after this one, please focus on the Mac Hardware and software.

We need:
MacBook Pro updates
MacPro updates
Displays updates

on the software side, improvements and bug fixing on Leopard and many other apps.

Just a bit tired of massive iPhone and iPod news lately.

Bloody spoiled brats I sware to gawd!
post #113 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I don't get it, why are so many of you jumping up and down for music subscriptoins? Exploding media is the mess Apple rescued us from! Unless they offer it as a concession to the Music Labels in order to get iTunes+ to be wider-adopted it's insane

I don't mind if they offer it. People don't have to get them.
post #114 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Would I have mentioned it if it wasn't an issue?

I don't know, would you?

Lots of people mention things that aren't issues.

Quote:
If I fail to clean the face of the touch regularly then I start to see blurring of the image after a while from all of the prints. And it looks pretty ugly when it's turned off. I wish (just like the iMac) there was an option for a non-glossy face.

I haven't seen this as an issue. Mine gets smudgy as well, but when it's on, it looks fine. This is the first I'm hearing of it as an issue. Of course, some people think it's an issue because getting fingerprints seems to be an affront, and so they look for problems. I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but mine does get pretty smudgy before I'm forced to clean it. But unless you actually get gook on the screen, it disappears.

It does look disreputable when off however.

But at least the screen seems to be impervious to normal scratching. I can't say that for the last three Palmphones I had.

Quote:
And before you bother to mention it, yeah, maybe I do have oily fingertips!

Ah, I wasn't. But I do.
post #115 of 155
Quote:

I ask and I ask butno one seems to have an answer how Apple could put 64GB flash in the Touch for $500.

You can keep asking, and since none of us here have any idea, you won't get a useful answer.

Ask again in six months to a year.
post #116 of 155
Quote:

well, now i know.

The English do this wrongly. A corporation, from a legal standpoint is a person. So it should be referred to in the singular. The fact that it has employees shouldn't matter. We aren't referring to them, but the entity.
post #117 of 155
Quote:

The language isn't obdurate, the people arguing about it are.
post #118 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Oh, we can go on forever with this.

One that has always bothered me is that the English call electronic "tubes" "valves".

This is one where they are making much more sense.

Tube only tells us that something is in the glass "tube". Nothing about what it is.

"Valve" tells us what it is, and by extension, what it does.
post #119 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Dude, if it is directly income producing, get the MBP 512mb VRAM NOW. I'm serious. Because:

1. The MBP currently is at its most stable overall build quality (apart from issues which show up within a few months). Crazy ass sh1t like video chips melting have been solved, for the most part.

Video chips "melting" has not been solved yet in the sense that Nvidia won't get those (hopefully) corrected chips out for a bit yet. Every one of their chips is affected, and it's a scandal in the industry.

We all have to pray that our machines won't be hit by it.

I now understand why Apple was underclocking these chips. People were making a big deal about how Apple's machines were badly designed from a heat standpoint, and so they underclocked their chips. We discussed it here.

Not so! The chips are defective. Every single one of them sold to every single board and computer manufacturer.

Nvidia has been dissembling about it, but it's pretty well understood what the problems were, and are. Nvidia made some bad design decisions.

Apple apparently was compensating for that, successfully, I might add, as Hp, and others, have been seeing vast amounts of defective machines being returned for repair because of this.

Nvidia has had to give about half a billion in compensation so far.
post #120 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ask again in six months to a year.

in that time frame I'll know how it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

ube only tells us that something is in the glass "tube". Nothing about what it is.

"Valve" tells us what it is, and by extension, what it does.

"The Internet is not a big lorry. It’s a series of valves.”

Nope, still doesn't make sense, but it does fit better into a William Gibson novel.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"