or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T wireless networks go down on East Coast

AT&T wireless networks go down on East Coast

post #1 of 38
AT&T's wireless data services experienced a meltdown earlier this morning, leading to widespread 3G and EDGE service outages across the broader North East and other parts of the country.

The problem has persisted for about 10 to 12 hours according to ArsTechnica, leaving a good number of iPhone and other mobile phone users without access to email, the web, and other data services. Voice calls and text messaging thus far appear unaffected.

"A technical representative from AT&T confirmed on the telephone with me this morning that there are major problems with the data network affecting a large part of the US today -- what she called a Level 1 issue," one AppleInsider reader wrote in an email. "She said her map, which normally shows green with occasional yellow areas, has red on major parts of the US."

iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems since the early a.m. hours Wednesday on both AT&T's support forms (1, 2, 3) and Apple's (1, 2, 3). Some users have reported success in receiving a credit from AT&T ranging from $20 to $30 as a result of the persistent problems.

Among the states reported to be experience service interruptions are Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Associated Press cited AT&T spokesman Michael Coe as saying the company was looking into the problem.

Update: AT&T says it restored service shortly after noon Eastern time on Wednesday. "We identified it as a routing issue in the way data is routed to and from wireless devices," company spokesman Mark Siegel told Reuters.
post #2 of 38
We were down all morning here in DE, but the data started flowing at about 12:15PM EDT.
post #3 of 38
Hey, someone whould sue!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #4 of 38
It was down from early morning until around noon in NYC, but it's working fine now.
post #5 of 38
I would like to see RIM melt down a wireless carrier.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I would like to see RIM melt down a wireless carrier.

It's not clear to me what it is that you're attempting to say. However RIM has had a couple of widespread and widely reported network outages.
post #7 of 38
Update: We have also confirmed that AT&T's EDGE network is down in Chicago, but 3G is up. For now.

Update x2: According to our commenters, users in Wisconsin and other parts of the country are experiencing data network outages as well. This thing appears to be pretty widespread, and we are making AT&T aware of the issue as best we can. Of course if you're experiencing it, you should probably call customer service and let them know anyway, just so they have a few more data points.

Update x3: AT&T spokesperson Brad Mays got in touch with us once again to say that the issues have been resolved. "There was a routing issue affecting some wireless data use in the Northeast region. AT&T technicians determined the cause and restored service at 11:56 a.m. EDT," he told Ars. "Voice calling, text messaging and BlackBerry email were unaffected."
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #8 of 38
"iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems"

Great phrase for irate customers.

I don't think I was affected, but I've been in range of WiFi so it's hard to say.
post #9 of 38
I don't get how they can't keep up with demand? They bought out Cingular, they have the power of two companies, let's go! I hate that this country sues over everything but these companies have to stop screwing us and maybe we would stop suing them.

First off, the new iPhone data plan should be the same as the old one, especially since half the people can't use the 3G network anyway.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among the states reported to be experience service interruptions are Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Associated Press cited AT&T spokesman Michael Coe as saying the company was looking into the problem.

Add New Jersey to the list of States. I was without dataservice from about noon yesterday until about 130PM today. And that is in the land of AT&T.

Rodger
post #11 of 38
I was having major connectivity issues earlier this week and through today. My phone says I'm in a good 3G signal area, but I can't get e-mail or browse the web. The connections just time out. Also, I have been unable to sync my calendar over MobileMe since I've gotten the phone....but that's another issue.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #12 of 38
I experienced this issue late last night / early this morning. Went to bed and got up late and everything was working fine.

A good stradegy and I would suggest it to others.

Dave
post #13 of 38
In January of 2007 Steve Jobs said "Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up."

I bet somebody messed up.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T's wireless data services experienced a meltdown earlier this morning, leading to widespread 3G and EDGE service outages across the broader North East and other parts of the country.

The problem has persisted for about 10 to 12 hours according to ArsTechnica, leaving a good number of iPhone and other mobile phone users without access to email, the web, and other data services. Voice calls and text messaging thus far appear unaffected.

"A technical representative from AT&T confirmed on the telephone with me this morning that there are major problems with the data network affecting a large part of the US today -- what she called a Level 1 issue," one AppleInsider reader wrote in an email. "She said her map, which normally shows green with occasional yellow areas, has red on major parts of the US."

iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems since the early a.m. hours Wednesday on both AT&T's support forms (1, 2, 3) and Apple's (1, 2, 3). Some users have reported success in receiving a credit from AT&T ranging from $20 to $30 as a result of the persistent problems.

Update: AT&T says it restored service shortly after noon Eastern time on Wednesday. "We identified it as a routing issue in the way data is routed to and from wireless devices," company spokesman Mark Siegel told Reuters.

Bitch and ye shall receive. I got $51.00 credited...that's all the data plan that I've paid for since I got the iPhone 3G on launch day. Woo!
post #15 of 38
Just a thought, but wouldn't you think that Apple would have a escape clause from the disastrous AT&T contract that would allow them to open up the iPhone to other carriers if AT&T failed to provide reliable service or otherwise tarnished the Apple brand with poor infrastructure?
Just curious.
post #16 of 38
I just love the feeling of being dependent on technology so much.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

It's not clear to me what it is that you're attempting to say. However RIM has had a couple of widespread and widely reported network outages.

A bad joke making fun of AT&T's network shortcomings due to an increase in data phone sales (iPhone specifically). It was a long shot and I was desperate for a laugh.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #18 of 38
Seems like non-iPhone users are not having this problem.
post #19 of 38
CAN YOU READ ME NOW?
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Seems like non-iPhone users are not having this problem.

Arstechnica says the data loss effected all AT&T customers. The iPhone users were the ones who complained.
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Just a thought, but wouldn't you think that Apple would have a escape clause from the disastrous AT&T contract that would allow them to open up the iPhone to other carriers if AT&T failed to provide reliable service or otherwise tarnished the Apple brand with poor infrastructure?
Just curious.

I think there is only one other US carrier (tmobile?) that has a network that works with the 3g iPhone. Verizon which is the only big big mobile name it doesn't work with for sure so not much that can be done now.
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Didn't effect voice and text, only data.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

First off, the new iPhone data plan should be the same as the old one, especially since half the people can't use the 3G network anyway.

I agree! And they should both be the same as all of ATT's OTHER Edge data plans, right? That'd be only fair.

So the way it should be, again, if we're concerned about the poor pitiful souls who can't get 3G service on their new, subsidized iPhone is:

$30 per month.

Just like all of ATT's other data plans, including those that use Edge only.

Duh.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Didn't effect voice and text, only data.

OK- see my correction
post #25 of 38
Just wondering out loud if the outage was some part of a planned update in anticipation of the 2.1 firmware update gone amok?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #26 of 38
shows just how shitty AT&T is. They KNEW something like this was going to happen and they tried to cover it up, and when things happened they did nothing, charged people more and let the network go down. Why the hell don't I just buy an iphone without a plan, and then mod it to work on verizon? that might work.....
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

shows just how shitty AT&T is. They KNEW something like this was going to happen and they tried to cover it up, and when things happened they did nothing, charged people more and let the network go down. Why the hell don't I just buy an iphone without a plan, and then mod it to work on verizon? that might work.....

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I think someone has a case of the sour grapes. Yes, AT&T is not perfect, far from it, but I highly doubt they knew their network was going to go down and allowed it to happen. You really think AT&T wanted to give 20-30 dollar credits back to customers? Even if they only did it for 100,000 customers (which would seem low to me, considering the areas affected), that's still 3 million dollars they'd be out at 30 bucks a pop. Doesn't sound like something any company would want to do.

As far as your second point, good luck buying an iPhone without a plan to begin with in the States, seeing as how it's not an option (other than eBay, etc.), and double good luck on modding a GSM phone to work on a CDMA network. Nevermind figuring out a way to get a hold of a CDMA chip, but then getting the GSM chip out and putting the CDMA chip in, then getting everything to work correctly.... Whew! I'm out of breath just typing that.
post #28 of 38
Don't know if it's related to the meltdown, but I seem to have lost Push messaging here in LA since early this morning.

I'll get e a message if I open up the mail app, but nothing appaers to be received on its on via the Push process. - And yes, I do have the Push option turned on in the settings...

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

I haven't rebooted the iPhone yet as that will force it to retrieve mail...Sent myself a test message 30 minutes ago and it hasn't Pushed yet!!!
post #29 of 38
HaHAHA! "Rapidly growing iPhone user population steamrolls network infrastructure"
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

HaHAHA! "Rapidly growing iPhone user population steamrolls network infrastructure"

This was not an iPhone issue or caused by iPhones.... just regular crappy service...
post #31 of 38
Quote:
"Rapidly growing iPhone user population steamrolls network infrastructure"

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not happen to a nicer network. Maybe it will be 24 hours next, then 36.

Come on AT&T apologists. Surly this isn't AT&T's fault. It has to be the work of some rival network operators to crash AT&T's network to make Apple and AT&T look bad.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not happen to a nicer network. Maybe it will be 24 hours next, then 36.

Come on AT&T apologists. Surly this isn't AT&T's fault. It has to be the work of some rival network operators to crash AT&T's network to make Apple and AT&T look bad.

I knew you would be happy about this. No one is saying AT&T has done a perfect job of building their network. Most everyone is quite critical in fact.

At the same time you are holding an unrealiztic expectation that AT&T should be able to flick the ON switch and have instant nationwide 3G.
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I knew you would be happy about this. No one is saying AT&T has done a perfect job of building their network. Most everyone is quite critical in fact.

At the same time you are holding an unrealiztic expectation that AT&T should be able to flick the ON switch and have instant nationwide 3G.

Happy to the point of it being ironic. As I said before you can have your opinion. AT&T did their network on the cheap and you are getting what you paid for. So sit back and enjoy it. No problem.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I don't get how they can't keep up with demand? They bought out Cingular, they have the power of two companies, let's go! I hate that this country sues over everything but these companies have to stop screwing us and maybe we would stop suing them.

They don't have the power of two companies. AT&T Wireless became Cingular, and then Cingular became AT&T once again. Same single carrier. What evidence do you have to prove your claim that half the people can't use 3G? Or are you making this comment based on the exaggerated reports you read on the internet?
post #35 of 38
My cable modem service through Time Warner went down the other day for a few hours. Holy shit, I should sue! Our Fax Server at work went down for a few hours. Holy shit, we should sue our IT Department! Networks can go down, it is not the end of the world!

The iPhone 3G complainers are a bunch of spoiled little brats that need a good ass kicking, and the lawyers all need to be shot. I deal with lawyers all day long (insurance business) and most of them are so stupid it would amaze you. Apparently they all passed the BAR, but I have no idea how since none of them have any common sense!
post #36 of 38
I was unable to access all web based functions and email in Chicago today.
Service came back at about 18:30 hours CDT.
post #37 of 38
Sarah Palin kills mobile internet. News at 11.
post #38 of 38
Wow. I am getting surprisingly good mileage out of this picture...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T wireless networks go down on East Coast