or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Road to Snow Leopard: Twice the RAM, half the price, 64-bits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Road to Snow Leopard: Twice the RAM, half the price, 64-bits - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Well since the Romanovs refused to get with the democratic times until they died because of it,

I'm thinking full 64 Bits will require both Lenin and Trotsky at a minimum to assail the impending Ram-Performance wall at Petrograd in October 2017.

Then 64 bits computing for all peoples, Comrades! Na-Zdrovye!!!
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
Reply
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
Reply
post #42 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post


Unfortunately, the reality is that PC users should be added to X-Box 360 users because the development environments are similar, regardless of hardware differences. This also helps to lock developers into MS APIs instead of cross-platform technologies.

Thanks MAC, but I'm not sure there are really very many "X-Box 360" users that are associated with development in any way. My grandmother uses the "X-Box 360" to play uno but I'm not sure I'd put her on the list of pc sophisticates.
post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltras View Post

What are you talking about??? XBox don't use any pieces manufactured by Apple.

I didn't SAY the "pieces" are "manufactured by Apple.
According to Bill Gates, Apple moved into Intel hardware just as MicroSoft in the XBox started using chips that used to be used by Apple in the older systems. (in other words, old hardware Apple used to use)
I think the quote by Gates was something like "Apple moving away from those chips really allowed us the capacity we needed, ironic that Apple moving to Intel allowed us to move forward with what we were doing on a new platform".

For all you snark-meisters out there, I know it's not word for word.....
post #44 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In contrast, all of Apple's Macs are now 64-bit and running a 64-bit OS, as there are no problems that prevent adoption of Apple's rather seamless 64-bit deployment. Except for, of course, a paucity of popular 64-bit Mac apps from everyone from Adobe to Apple itself.

No mention of Apple yanking away 64 bit Carbon support at the last minute after previously promising it leaving developers with hundreds (thousands?) of hours of work down the toilet? Who knows how long the decision was made before announcing it at WWDC, but Apple kept it under wraps because things can only be announced at a big event in Appleland.
post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Thanks MAC, but I'm not sure there are really very many "X-Box 360" users that are associated with development in any way. My grandmother uses the "X-Box 360" to play uno but I'm not sure I'd put her on the list of pc sophisticates.

Is there a reason that you choose to spell it incorrectly? Some inside joke, or something? I couldn't care less if you do, but I wonder why you do. Are you also referring to iPhones and iPods as i-pods and eye-phones?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there a reason that you choose to spell it incorrectly? Some inside joke, or something? I couldn't care less if you do, but I wonder why you do. Are you also referring to iPhones and iPods as i-pods and eye-phones?

Spelling?

Eye no, inside joke.
post #47 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Spelling?

Eye no, inside joke.

References to "X-Box 360" in quotes were copied from prior message by another arther.
post #48 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

References to "X-Box 360" in quotes were copied from prior message by another arther.

References to arther are intentional and do not resemble any actual character named Arthur either fictional OR imaginary.
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Couple of things. First, I'm not a fan of downplaying the cost of being mislead.
If you have 3 GB in your machine and are talked into buying the 4th gig..... I don't really care how much you can say it didn't cost much. Even if it was free, when they have you put in 33% more memory and and you can use less than a quarter of what you're adding your application then I don't think that's good. That's usually the fault of the guy at the counter you're talking to and his lack of knowledge more than any one computer maker.

Second, if the AI article was talking about the current Leopard on the market then I might agree about your complaints. But the way I read this article, it's talking about Snow Leo and how it's DIFFERENT from the current Leo. Comparisons on how it works today aside, how it will work in Snow Leo are interesting.

Third, I'd be curious what actual 64 bit application you're running on your laptop that compelled you to run out and double your memory and completely change the OS to full 64bit. And I'd also be curious if you wrote off anything you had but can't really use in the "full 64 bit version of Vista".

4th: <As to the ignorance of Mac versus PC end users, both are on average the same>
Agreed, but I think pointing out that the windows world requires people to be knowledgeable and Apple has a lot of success with people that don't need to go there, well I'm not sure that's bad. In fact, earlier I was pointing out the need for people to become too well educated on the internal configurations of a pc just to avoid missing what they need or buying too much. This is a situation where Apple is getting a lot of their growth from solving the problem of understanding the hardware and software utilties, just to be able to run the application software you want. Apple is trying to limit users to only needing to run the software they want, and not all the icons in the control panel. You're right, but not sure that's a good thing for the pc world.

5th:The gaming world users do dominate or outnumber the Apple user base. That's true. But if you remove all the xBox users, and put those in the Apple camp because they actually are using old Apple hardware it does kind of take away from the pc numbers. (ouch)

6th: Again, saying OS X users are more clueless is not really a bad thing for Apple, or a good point for windows users. The one thing almost all windows users are in fact smart enough to know, is that you need to go out of your way and throw Vista away and get XP back on your new computer. And to the extent YOU may believe that is not true, you're going to have to explain to me if all those pc users are in fact so up to speed and knowledgeable then why does MicroSoft have such a hard time getting people to realize they don't need to do that? I mean really, if all those pc people are so smart and they are replacing Vista with XP, either they aren't as smart as you say they are or Vista is not very good!

Why do you have to comment on everything that is said? You do realize that this is the internet, right? Not one single person here is going to respect you, or even acknowledge the fact that you have an opinion. I am saddened when people like you speak their minds and expect everybody to bow to your all-knowingness. One could only assume that you sit at your computer all day long, waiting for people to make a comment that you have a problem with, so that you can shove your opinion in their face and try and make them feel bad or insignificant about what they think. I'm pretty sure that these forums were setup for productive discussions pertaining to the topic, not to bash other people so that it doesn't take you as long to cry yourself to sleep at night...

GET. A. LIFE.
post #50 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Thanks MAC, but I'm not sure there are really very many "X-Box 360" users that are associated with development in any way. My grandmother uses the "X-Box 360" to play uno but I'm not sure I'd put her on the list of pc sophisticates.

When you start talking about the technology that powers a machine, you're talking about stuff that matters to developers, not end users.
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
post #51 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

References to arther are intentional and do not resemble any actual character named Arthur either fictional OR imaginary.

References as if imaginary and fictional are opposites is meant as a snarky wise-ass comment to people to two much time on there hands.....
Or to much tyme on there hands....
Or too much tyme on their hands...
Ore to much time on their hands...
or to much time on there hands.
post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

When you start talking about the technology that powers a machine, you're talking about stuff that matters to developers, not end users.

Tell that to a user that decides between which level of multiple core cpu they buy to run exactly the same piece of software.....
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwacK View Post

Why do you have to comment on everything that is said? You do realize that this is the internet, right? Not one single person here is going to respect you, or even acknowledge the fact that you have an opinion. I am saddened when people like you speak their minds and expect everybody to bow to your all-knowingness. One could only assume that you sit at your computer all day long, waiting for people to make a comment that you have a problem with, so that you can shove your opinion in their face and try and make them feel bad or insignificant about what they think. I'm pretty sure that these forums were setup for productive discussions pertaining to the topic, not to bash other people so that it doesn't take you as long to cry yourself to sleep at night...

GET. A. LIFE.

I got iLife, but thanks for your interest.
post #54 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have to say real world results Vista x64 is alot better then XP x64. Mostly because drivers have advanced. I would disagree that 32 bit apps run poorly in Vista, now I will admit that I run some pretty heavy hardware so I have had no issues at all.

I run CS3, Office, Encoding all that the same time and they are all very fast with no issues at all. Even iTunes runs flawless in Vista x64.

Most people that rag on Vista have never really used it, I actually have far more issues with Leopard then I do with Vista.

The issue I have with Apple these days is they can't seem to put anything out lately without a ton of updates or firmware fixes. Leopard sounded great on paper and so far has been a disappointment at least IMO compared to Tiger. MS resolved almost all there Vista problems with one service pack, we can't say that when it comes to Leopard there are still issues.

Snow Leopard is still a time will tell situation. Look good on paper but lets see how it actually performs.

Not to mention people tend not to mention that Apple keeps there arena pretty small and only plays by there rules with a very hardware config. I would say MS does a fairly good job considering they make software that has to work on far more hardware configurations.

As far as which end user group is smarter I would say both have their fair share of each. Lets face it gamers can often overclock, and I have yet to find a iMac user who has figured out how to voltage mod and has as watercooling system...

I have to say your a toolbox.

You run vista x64, (i have used that system) and your upset Apple patches to much? This is rich. If you think the only patch on your Vista x64 box was SP1, then your stupid.

Your main point of how well your computer performs is funny. Cause my Powerbook g4 had no problems running CS1, itunes and Warcraft 3 (windowed on a seperate vram eating display, concurrently).

My Macbook pro with 2 core2duo 2.6's right now is handling (with 66fps mind you)

WoW
Garage band (using it open as a virtual amp)
Safari
itunes
ichat
entourage

I do this every day. This is what i expect from my laptop

-from an actual user of all three platforms / IT guy
post #55 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

I got iLife, but thanks for your interest.

That was awesome. I applaud your Apple-infused comedy!
post #56 of 141
Also, if you say you encode video with no lag down on your system, i'm calling you a liar.

Not to mention the video conversion tools are laughable when compared to the mac / linux side.
post #57 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwacK View Post

That was awesome. I applaud your Apple-infused comedy!

It's not so much Apple-infused comedy, it's more Apple-aware comedy.
Actually, it's not really comedy, it's really kind of sad.
Think I'll go cry.... (not)
post #58 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Tell that to a user that decides between which level of multiple core cpu they buy to run exactly the same piece of software.....

Xbox 360 owners make no choice, and, as already covered in this thread, most PC users are oblivious.

Anyway, to further expand upon and clarify my previous statement, Microsoft is working towards making Xbox 360 and "Games for Windows" (aka worst branding ever) into one platform for developers. Thus, it makes far more sense to combine the Xbox 360 and Windows PC into one platform than it does to add Xbox 360 to the Mac numbers just because it uses a variant of a processor that Apple once used.


Anyway, does this forum have no moderators? I think it counts as spam when 25% of the posts in a 60-post thread are from one user and includes triple-posting and self-replies.
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

Xbox 360 owners owners make no choice, and, as already covered in this thread, most PC users are oblivious.


Anyway, does this forum have no moderators? I think it counts as spam when 25% of the posts in a 60-post thread are from one user and includes triple-posting and self-replies.

Agreed.
post #60 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

64 bit Windows does not run 32 bit apps directly. It runs them in a compatibility window. Most inefficient. There are other problems relating to this.

I remember that this was explicitly true of the Itanium editions of Windows, because the baseline Itamium processor wasn't directly capable of running any x86 code at all without software intervention or emulation.

Apparently when a 32-bit process coexists with 64-bit processes on an x64 edition Windows, the CPU is temporarily sent in and out of 32-bit compatibility mode so that the software doesn't need to know about any architectural differences. That necessarily involves a performance hit. But wouldn't something similar have to happen with 32-bit processes running on any other x64 operating system too?

I was under the impression that the biggest gotcha for most would-be 64-bit Windows users has been the availability of 64-bit kernel drivers for their hardware. A close second problem has been the incompatibility of 64-bit applications with 32-bit libraries and plug-ins, and vice-versa. (This latter limitation is technically true with Mac OS X as well, however Apple and most 3rd party software vendors have generally done a great job of preventing it from being visible to end-users.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoonx

I enjoyed the first and the second article on 64bit. But this one really confuses me!

1. How can Windows apps get several 4GB (-2GB for Kernel) virtual adress spaces? I thought without PAE, only one 4B adress space is possible.

Each process has its own virtual address space, each of which which may potentially grow to 4 GB. The MMU then keeps track of how each process's individual address space maps into the overall combination of physical RAM and pagefiles.

However, for most applications, the actual usage will be much smaller than that, and portions of each process's virtual address space which are not used, don't actually contribute to the system's total memory usage. Furthermore, the kernel's reserved space in each process is mapped into the identical space in physical memory.

Therefore, if you created two processes, each of which needed 0.5GB of application space, then each process would appear to be occupying 2.5GB of space (its own 0.5GB of space, plus the kernel's 2GB), for a total usage of 5 GB. However, the overall system memory usage would really only be 3GB (application 1's 0.5GB, plus application 2's 0.5GB, plus the single copy of the kernel's 2GB shared in common between the two). More savings are also possible if both applications make use of some common code from DLLs, because the system only needs to load the DLL into system memory once, and map that single copy into each process's virtual address. As well, it's likely that portions of the kernel's 2GB is actually unused.

Any process may potentially grow up to 4GB (minus the kernel's reserved space), provided the MMU has adequate resources (available system RAM plus pagefiles) available to accommodate it.
post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

On a more serious note, I think most PC users are a bunch of dolts.
They don't really know what they are buying or why.
The problem will be glossed over by a simple "the extra memory you have, sets yo up to handle the new MicroSoft changes coming for 64 bit in the future.
Nevermind that by the time that stuff really gets it's act together the rest of your hardware is obsolete.....

I'm guessing that you are a dolt that doesn't know everything a good mechanic knows about your engine and car. For that matter, probably your plumbing, your electricity (don't do your own wiring!!!) and quite a few other things in life. My guess is that you only come outside to buy computer stuff and go back into your mom's basement until it's time to eat.
post #62 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

If anyone feels that I am not properly referring to computers sold by Apple, or computers sold by what was formerly known as the "Apple Computer" company...... well you just be sure to let me know because I really care if my street cred is effected because I call it a MAC.....\

Good grief. Ajmas explained it and you still don't get it. Writing in all-caps implies that a word is an acronym, therefore MAC = Medium Access Control, not short for Macintosh. Mac is short for Macintosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

Historically, the only people writing "MAC" on this forum were ignorant PC trolls.

Make that all forums, not just this one.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #63 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One of the reasons wht Opertons, an Athlons were able to beat the Pentium back three years ago was because they used the more, wider register route in the designs, the same as the PPC. Intel's 64 bit chips have fixed most of the regester problems, whichh is acknowledged as bing one of the main reasons why Windows users will see speed increases in their computing using a 64 bit system.

Sent from an iPhone, I presume?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #64 of 141
What is it with this thread that has caused such a plethora of "grammatically challenged" posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXT1 View Post

the first Intel iMac's that where shipped.

The plural of iMac is iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post

I guess we'll see notebooks taking 8Gb's of RAM in 2009.

That should be 8 GBs. Or, if you want to be really pedantic, 8 GiBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

I have to say your a toolbox.

Your != You are. You mean "you're".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

You run vista x64, (i have used that system) and your upset Apple patches to much? This is rich. If you think the only patch on your Vista x64 box was SP1, then your stupid.

How ironic you accuse someone else of being stupid, when you can't even get your/you're right.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #65 of 141
What's up with the "half the price" thing? It makes it sound like apple announced pricing on SL and it will cost half as much as 10.5. Might want to change that, it's confusing and misleading.

And it's not official that 10.6 will be intel only! That's still speculation, stop saying it like it's fact when it's just a guess on your part. Right now, nobody knows for sure.
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And it's not official that 10.6 will be intel only! That's still speculation, stop saying it like it's fact when it's just a guess on your part. Right now, nobody knows for sure.

I agree it's a bit much to state as if fact that 10.6 final will be Intel-only; however, all the signs point to Apple having made decisions about now being the time to make a few breaks with the past in order to build solid foundations for the future.

They worked on 64 bit carbon for ages, then ceased development; everything they say about 10.6 suggests under-the-hood changes aimed at a general tidy-up of the architecture. Apple presumably figures that they've built enough momentum now in the OS X platform that it can survive the disruptions of the abandonment of carbon-64, PPC and possibly even 32-bit Intel too.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #67 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

PC = Personal Computer
MAC = Media Access Control, as in MAC Address
Mac = short for Macintosh
Note the difference between acronyms and abbreviations. Its a touchy point for some

You forgot to include DOLT or is it dolt.....
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm an IT guy also 21+ years with IBM so I am far from stupid. Of course I know SP1 is not the only patch for Vista.

WoW is a joke any system can handle 66fps running WoW. My system can do that running Crysis, and I built my own system and it cost less then your Macbook.

As far as patches at least if there is something wrong with one of my drivers I have options instead of having ot wait for Apple to get around to fixing the problem.

Good example firmware problems Alu iMac relating to the GPU. Took them a full 3-4 months to get around to that. I won't even bring up the 3g iPhone it should take them until mid 2009 to get that working correctly.

Sorry I cam back to edit I actually assume you knew wath Crysis was being a Macbook user.

Also while I am at it I was turning cache and setup up arrays before you even knew what they were.


Did you give yourself a boner there? I've been in IT for about 10 years, but either way, you should know that 1) WoW is not the same system to system, depends heavily on your plugin level, Rez, etc. 2) amp emulation is processor intensive and 3, your not replying to the point i was making.

I was saying that you *should not* be excited your computer can multi-task. It should be like this.

Welcome to 2008, old guy.

also:

*As a vista64 guy you should really not make arguments about drivers being compatible. Ask mac users how many times this is an issue for them.

*I have 8 iphone's sync'ing to my company's Exchange 2003 server, (I am one of them) No problems from any users. (feature requests yes, dropped calls, no) Personally i think it's cause were in NYC, which doesn't have the best, but far from the worst 3g coverage.

*I build my own machine's too. I have 2 Hackintosh's (one callaway one 10.4 one) A Fiesty Fawn machine and a XP sp2 box. (for orb, and old windows games) 2 are AMD x2's (before the coreduo line was released) one is a Pentium D, the last a Core2. I use a MBP as a laptop cause it's really well designed. If you built your own laptop ( i got the 2.6ghz model) with similar features, then i'm impressed.

*People who troll forums looking for grammatical errors. Really. You must be fun as hell at a party.
post #69 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Sorry I cam back to edit I actually assume you knew wath Crysis was being a Macbook user.

Crysis in the apple world means waiting for MBP upgrade Jan 08 only to find it still not out at June 08.

Crysis is the pc world is heaven on earth
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #70 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

*People who troll forums looking for grammatical errors. Really. You must be fun as hell at a party.

Yeah! Let's all revel in mediocrity, stupidity, ignorance and sloppy thinking, and vilify all those who strive for higher standards.

Seriously, how hard is it for you to learn that plurals don't have apostrophes and "your" doesn't mean "you are"?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #71 of 141
Dude, when i'm trying to get a thought out, I'm less inclined to care about my proper apostrophes. I'm going back now, to revel in my "mediocrity" that i've placed myself in due to my lack of compassion for the english language.

Thanks for showing me the light.

/asshole
post #72 of 141
do you get a t-shirt with those "higher standards? "

and does the ? go before or after the quotations?
post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

Dude, when i'm trying to get a thought out, I'm less inclined to care about my proper apostrophes. I'm going back now, to revel in my "mediocrity" that i've placed myself in due to my lack of compassion for the english language.

Thanks for showing me the light.

/asshole

In case you hadn't noticed, this is not a party, but a website forum where people come to communicate. If you want your communiqu├ęs to be properly understood, appreciated and taken seriously, it pays to learn how to use your chosen language properly. And if you don't care about your points being taken seriously, why bother posting in the first place?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

do you get a t-shirt with those "higher standards? "

and does the ? go before or after the quotations?

The ? should go outside the quotation marks. Unless the ? was meant in an ironic/sarcastic way in which case it goes inside.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #74 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

I didn't SAY the "pieces" are "manufactured by Apple.
According to Bill Gates, Apple moved into Intel hardware just as MicroSoft in the XBox started using chips that used to be used by Apple in the older systems. (in other words, old hardware Apple used to use)
I think the quote by Gates was something like "Apple moving away from those chips really allowed us the capacity we needed, ironic that Apple moving to Intel allowed us to move forward with what we were doing on a new platform".

I don't think the 360 uses any significant parts that Apple used other than farily generic stuff used industry-wide. The three-core 4+GHz PPC-based chip in the machine is custom built for the task, its design is not very related to any chip that Apple used other than being a similar platform.

G5 machines were used to develop the software as the hardware was being designed, because the instructions were compatible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yeah! Let's all revel in mediocrity, stupidity, ignorance and sloppy thinking, and vilify all those who strive for higher standards.

Seriously, how hard is it for you to learn that plurals don't have apostrophes and "your" doesn't mean "you are"?

I think there has to be some moderation though. I personally try not to say anything unless a post is confusing.

BTW: the woman that does Grammar Girl says it's poor form to correct other people's grammar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i386 View Post

As a photography with larger mega pixel sensors on the horizon, even the 50MP Canon sensor in development, the RAW files will be huge to work with. At the moment Aperture is such a resource hog, I reckon 64bit address space will be welcomed.

The 50 megapixel sensor at 16 bpp would mean 100 MB file uncompressed. Not that big of a deal for single files, unless you plan to have 20 of them open at the same time, I don't know if each file could get its own 2GB/4GB space or not.

Megapixels are old hat anyway, the latest hot high end cameras have about half the pixels of its flagship competitor, it's hot because it's producing fantastic pictures in low light, offering more shooting possibilities in the dark than ever previously thought possible.
post #75 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think there has to be some moderation though. I personally try not to say anything unless a post is confusing.

Indeed. I don't do it all that much; this particular thread though does have a high concentration of errors so I felt a post was warranted.

In general, apostrophes seem to be heavily misused hence my signature.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #76 of 141
Well, in my opinion Mr. H, my grammatical error did not, in any way, misconstrue the point i was trying to make.

/never said it was a party, said you must be fun at them.
//clearly you need to get out more.
///i've been told i'm a comma whore.
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Looking at all the technical specs available I believe that any user using less than the Core Duo 2 (64bit) will NOT be able to run Snow Leopard. 10.5 will be the last OS X version the first Intel Chipsets will run.....Looks like Apple will make the move to 64bit completely in the next version. PPC and Core Duo users will be left behind.

Remember how much of a big deal AppleInsider made of the fact that lots of PC users with slower machines wanted Windows XP after Vista came out?

I wondering if AI will also make a big deal of the fact that Apple will stop selling 10.5 when 10.6 comes out, thus screwing non-Intel C2D users...
post #78 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That factor is also why PowerPC G5 users won't see much performance benefit from general purpose apps ported to 64-bits; 32-bit PowerPC apps already have plenty of registers. In many cases, they will actually get slightly slower due to the extra addressing overhead. That's also a key reason why Snow Leopard will be Intel only.*

I really don't think that's a key reason. I don't think that's even relevent. I would suggest that if they drop PPC, the real reason would be that there's not enough of them out there to justify the work needed to make them run the new OS. Only iMac G5s and PowerMac G5s can run 64 bit PPC code, and their relevance is fading pretty quickly. Only the towers can address more than 2.5GB of memory, all the base models except the dual core ones are effectively limited to 4GB based on memory board availability.
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Remember how much of a big deal AppleInsider made of the fact that lots of PC users with slower machines wanted Windows XP after Vista came out?

I wondering if AI will also make a big deal of the fact that Apple will stop selling 10.5 when 10.6 comes out, thus screwing non-Intel C2D users...

This doesn't make sense. A copy of OS X (generally the latest at time of shipping) is included with every mac. So, Apple only sells OS upgrades to it's qualified (by qualified i mean users owning a recent enough machine) users.

I'm sure PPC and CoreDuo users will have 10.5 security updates for years to come.
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't think that's a key reason. I don't think that's even relevent. I would suggest that if they drop PPC, the real reason would be that there's not enough of them out there to justify the work needed to make them run the new OS. Only iMac G5s and PowerMac G5s can run 64 bit PPC code, and their relevance is fading pretty quickly. Only the towers can address more than 2.5GB of memory, all the base models except the dual core ones are effectively limited to 4GB based on memory board availability.

I agree that the reason here is the number of users compared to Intel-based Macs, but I think it's a key reason as to why they are doing it now with Snow Leopard as opposed to doing it with Leopard, which one could construe as an initial key reason or secondary key reason.


Anyone want to figure out what percentage of Macs will be PPC by the time SL comes out? (image is hyperlinked)

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Road to Snow Leopard: Twice the RAM, half the price, 64-bits