or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First iPod nano 4G photo hits the web

First iPod nano 4G photo hits the web - Page 3

post #81 of 116
y
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbot View Post

ha ha I Photoshop for a living dude, and have done since version 2.5.1...

what do you see in the blue channel? I couldn't find anything
post #82 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No you don't. Your ignorant first post about how 'easy' it would be to fake the photo of the orange nano betrays that ignorance.

well speaking as someone who uses Photoshop I think it would be pretty easy to take an existing nano pic and fake that picture.

The question is: is the picture fake or is the product a fake?

I think both - it's not the new nano, and it's been through photoshop to make us think it is.

==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #83 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

y

what do you see in the blue channel? I couldn't find anything

just a reference to a previous 'ahem' fake.

"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #84 of 116
Quote:

just a reference to a previous 'ahem' fake.

Quote:

well speaking as someone who uses Photoshop I think it would be pretty easy to take an existing nano pic and fake that picture.

The question is: is the picture fake or is the product a fake?

I think both - it's not the new nano, and it's been through photoshop to make us think it is.

Please be clearer which one you're talking about, a discussion doesn't work if everyone is focused on different things. If you mean the green one, then please say that. I do agree the green one can be easily faked.
post #85 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Please be clearer which one you're talking about, a discussion doesn't work if everyone is focused on different things. If you mean the green one, then please say that. I do agree the green one can be easily faked.

OK I think the Orange was is a real photo of a real product that's been photoshopped a bit to stretch the screen a bit so it fits with the other leaks about new nano cases. It's probably a cheap chinese MP4 player put in a nano box.

The green one is a quick photoshop fake, this time using a real nano pic.

If you look at the bottom of the orange 'nano' there seems to be what I'd call "rubber stamp
duplication."
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #86 of 116
Quote:

Why blurry? - because not all camera phones have autofocus. Also, the circumstances could have been that the photographer had very little time in which to take the photo without being noticed so it was a hurried shot.

Plus the auto focus focused on the packaging not the nano.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #87 of 116
Quote:

Then put your 'professional skills where your mouth is and produce an equivalent fake - you know, a product with curved surfaces inside a transparent plastic box. You said it was easy, so it shouldn't take long for a professional Photoshop user such as yourself.
post #88 of 116
Quote:

Then put your 'professional skills where your mouth is and produce an equivalent fake - you know, a product with curved surfaces inside a transparent plastic box. You said it was easy, so it shouldn't take long for a professional Photoshop user such as yourself.

The curved screen is a red herring.

Apple wouldn't make a nano with a curved screen.

What Apple would make is a nano with a curved back and flat front, just like the iPhone 3G.

This alone makes the photo a fake.

There are enough artifacts in the (orange) picture to point to photoshopping:

The edges of the screen are ragged where the curve has been introduced - look at the bottom of the screen a 1/4 way in from the left. There's a bump.

All the way up the screen on the left and right is further evidence of cloning, giving a ragged bumpy edge.

The screen is also too dark. It's been darkened to hide the re-touching, as shown by the highlights that also get darker on the screen.

I'm not at work at the moment or I would produce another fake for you - but surely this one is enough?
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #89 of 116
Well there is always this pic I found.

This is a fake, don't fall for it.
post #90 of 116
Philibot

Check back here on Tuesday for my 'told you so'
post #91 of 116
Quote:

This is a world where absolute statements just don't apply. For example, people also said that Apple wouldn't make the "fatboy" nano, because it was ugly and the shots looked fake. The same thing happened with the leaked aluminum keyboard photos. This particular one might not pan out, but it's a bit quick to completely dismiss it.

This "curved nano" photo might be based on a real competing product, but I haven't found one yet.
post #92 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW... The MacBook Air enters its 9th month without an update. Will it be the Cinema Display of the laptop line??? W.T.F.

It certainly does. I have recently been schooled in that the 35mm^2 Cetnrino 2 chips are being sold, but this carry over to the 22mm^2 chips too? If so, then I'd expect the MBA to be updated very, very soon. While popular for its class it doesn't have the demand of Apple's other notebooks so production issues with chips shouldn't be an issue here.

BTW, there are going to be a lot of upset and angry people when they find out that the MBA will be updated from a 1.6 and 1.8GHz CPU to the 1.6 and 183GHz CPU, SL9300 and SL9400 respectively.. Sure, it'll go from SFF Santa Rosa/Merom to Montevina/Penryn with a whole set of more efficient instruction on a 45nm platform with 1066MHz FSB and 6MB L2, better integrated graphics and a drop in TPD from 20 to 17W... but most people only seem to look at the CPU speed. I can't blame them. It was pushed so hard for so many years as the end all be all for processors.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #93 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This is a world where absolute statements just don't apply. For example, people also said that Apple wouldn't make the "fatboy" nano, because it was ugly and the shots looked fake.

That is absolutely correct. The mockups never do Apple justice. then again, we aren't making multiple products to test out among a team of people. Look back on last year and seeing that capacity bumps in most of the line seem unlikely Apple will need a new product to spark interest this holiday quarter. I have no idea what it can be and doubt that a Nano change is the big reveal this time around.
post #94 of 116
Will Apple immediately pull the 3rd generation nano from the online store when the new nano is released? I can't remember how they transition their products. If I don't like the new one I want to buy the phatty.
post #95 of 116
This picture is probably fake, but I really like the design. The 2nd gen nano is my favorite iPod, with its tall, thin proportions and bright colors.

This takes the same basic design, and expands the screen to its largest possible size. I like it.
post #96 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Will Apple immediately pull the 3rd generation nano from the online store when the new nano is released? I can't remember how they transition their products. If I don't like the new one I want to buy the phatty.

If I recall correctly the previous years in which the new products came out before the BtS program ended, they put the new iPods out in place of the old ones, but had the old ones in the back for the program for the next week. I don't recall them keeping any of the old iPods out on display in the front of the store or offering a reduced price for the old generation iPods on their website until some weeks after.

You will be certainly be able to get a 3G Nano directly from Apple, with full warranty, and at a reduced cost than it's being sold now if you just wait a bit.
post #97 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralord910 View Post

Check out Click Here for the photo without the blur. Looks pretty nice to me

When I looked at the linked photo you post, I noticed that the usb wire showned there is like the old designs with buttons on the side to unlock it from the device... I have an iPod Touch and the universal plug is small and easily removable, not like the old ones...

I don't think Apple will start making products with an old design... seems not bogus to me.

Simon
post #98 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

They move them to the clearance section of the online store, with the price dropped a little bit compared to the same capacity of the new one.
post #99 of 116
Quote:

Philibot

Ok - but the argument here is: is this a genuine picture or not?

I say not.

There are hundreds of rip-offs out there:

http://www.gshop.com.au/images/pink.JPG

there's no way Apple would bring out a new product that had already been so badly imitated.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #100 of 116
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #101 of 116
Quote:

OMG - there is some real junk around:
<links>]

Those clickwheels look like that are poorly glued on pieces of paper. I think Apple has too much pride to do another 'candy bar' Nano that is similar to the Zune Flash and those knockoffs. We'll know in 43 hours.

This one is the nicest mock up I've seen that seems to evolve the Nano, though I think it needs a physical center button for tactile response. This would help you find the clickwheel when not looking at it.

post #102 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

True to the leaks, the new flash-based iPod is tall and has a tapered shell at the front and back which is reminiscent of the MacBook Air.

Looks more to me like an optical illusion caused by the packaging.
post #103 of 116
Quote:

Philibot

terrible!

"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #104 of 116
Quote:

Looks like a very poor fake to me

Easiest photoshop technique in the world, to stretch an existing nano

has anyone checked the blue channel?

Not sure about the blue channel, but the Steve channel showed a stretched nano.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #105 of 116
Quote:

terrible!

Well you laughing jackass - proving the point nicely that empty vessels make the most sound.

What a Photoshop professional you turned out to be, such a critical eye, such knowledge, such expertise. Someone actually employs you to use Photoshop? Well I guess there's one born every minute.

Be careful next thanksgiving, your being so perfectly qualified for the role of main course and all.
post #106 of 116
Quote:

Well you laughing jackass - proving the point nicely that empty vessels make the most sound.

What a Photoshop professional you turned out to be, such a critical eye, such knowledge, such expertise. Someone actually employs you to use Photoshop? Well I guess there's one born every minute.

Be careful next thanksgiving, your being so perfectly qualified for the role of main course and all.

ha ha. I thought the photo was fake and it was photoshopped.

Turns out it might have been genuine.

Doesn't change a thing, because it could have been faked easily.

"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #107 of 116
Quote:

taking it all a bit serious aren't you?

"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #108 of 116
Quote:

ha ha. I thought the photo was fake and it was photoshopped.

Turns out it might have been genuine.

Doesn't change a thing, because it could have been faked easily.

Yes, but the fact is that photoshop mock-ups of Apple products have turned out to become actual products. Most products do have pock-ups made early in the development. Have you seen the discussions running up to the "fatboy" nano introduction?. There were leaked photo mock-ups of that. People said it looked stupid, it was fake and Apple would never make something as stupid as that anyway. Thing about saying what Apple absolutely will and won't do, is that Apple sometimes does a hard right on them.

Not only that, someone you know said this:

Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2008/0...s-rock-046.jpg
post #109 of 116
Quote:

I am surprised by the curved glass screen and the lack of dynamic clickwheel controls.
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am surprised by the curved glass screen and the lack of dynamic clickwheel controls.

I agree with the curved glass. I was mainly trying to reinforce the point that it makes little sense to make absolute statements of what Apple will and won't do, it can lead to foot-in-mouth disease. Apple fans are poor prophets.

There may even be a metaphor here, be it intentional or not, Apple's success partly depends on throwing a few curves from time to time.

The nano only has four buttons, and what they do isn't terribly complicated. While some sort of relabeling would have been cool, maybe with an eink-based clickwheel (with proper durability protections), it's not really necessary.

What I had been hoping for was a larger screen or at least a wider screen. That would have been a pretty good justification for reverting to the older form factor, in my opinion. A wider fatboy would be stretching that look in undesirable ways.
post #111 of 116
Quote:

taking it all a bit serious aren't you?

By claiming to be a Photoshop professional, you set the tone.
post #112 of 116
Quote:

but I am a photoshop professional, that why I believed the image to be faked, based on what I thought Apple would and wouldn't create. There's nothing about the photo that proves it's real and a lot that seems fake. You believed based on what? insider knowledge? i don't think so.

I was skeptical based on what I know about Photoshop and my own ideas about design - i still think a curved face is a bad idea.

but if being right based on no knowledge whatsoever makes you feel good... enjoy! you are truly the new workerbee!

(or is that kormac)
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #113 of 116
Quote:

but I am a photoshop professional, that why I believed the image to be faked, based on what I thought Apple would and wouldn't create. There's nothing about the photo that proves it's real and a lot that seems fake. You believed based on what? insider knowledge? i don't think so.

I was skeptical based on what I know about Photoshop and my own ideas about design - i still think a curved face is a bad idea.

but if being right makes you feel good... enjoy!

I bet you photoshopped your photoshop license.
post #114 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I bet you photoshopped your photoshop license.

that's right - and britney is good lookin
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #115 of 116
Quote:

"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #116 of 116
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First iPod nano 4G photo hits the web