or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Who's using OS 10.2 currently?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who's using OS 10.2 currently?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Is anyone out there using the beta releases of 10.2? I know they are pretty readily available...just seeking some general opinions regarding 10.2 from those who are.
post #2 of 21
I've currently got it running on a powermac 450 with a rage 128 card. The early versions were scary, but the newest release is stable enough I'm using it for day to day work right now. It's noticably faster as it is, but I've been considering upgrading my video card for QE compatibility. Anyone know if it's worth it?

Heck, I'd like to uprgrade my whole machine, but that will have to wait for the economy arround here to pick up a bit.
post #3 of 21
Running the latest beta exclusively, removed 10.1.5 completely as it used to kernel panic 2 or 3 times a day. With 10.2... nothing.

I upgraded from a Radeon to a GeForce 4Ti, but I didn't see much difference in performance.
post #4 of 21
Fluffy, i had to have 10.1.4 all the time cause 10.1.5 was causing Kernel Panic ALL THE TIME! Good to hear that i wasn't the only one. Im running quicksilver 733/384/geforce4 ti/ 22' Apple cinema. Installed Jaguar 6C106 and what a improvement that was. I see HUGE improvement in speed and responsiveness. If you have a low end machine you might not be able to see the improvement, but the faster the processor, the more RAM you have and the better graphic card you have, you'll be seeing more improvement!
post #5 of 21
I have a dual 800, 768MB RAM. Maybe I was expecting something different. The overall experience is smoother, startup is certainly faster, but it just wasn't a "wow" experience. I was expecting a bit more going from a Radeon to a GeForce4, but it didn't seem to do much. Maybe QE really does take full advantage of the Radeon, I don't know.
post #6 of 21
I'm not sure if somebody noted this somewhere else already, but I went to the Apple Store in Palo Alto today and the 17" iMac was running 10.2
Changing background and everything.
post #7 of 21
I hope none of you that are using the leaked builds full time bitch and complain when you have the retail version of Jaguar and it does not install on your machine, or screws some things up

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Jared ]</p>
post #8 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Jared:
<strong>I hope none of you that are using the leaked builds full time bitch and complain when you have the retail version...</strong><hr></blockquote>Don't worry about that. I'm more than ready to lock any threads that may crop up asking for assistance with pirated builds or upgrading from said pirated builds.



That said, I too have been using various builds of 10.2 since WWDC.
post #9 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:
I upgraded from a Radeon to a GeForce 4Ti, but I didn't see much difference in performance.<hr></blockquote>

And you probably won't cause the Radeon was just as good regarding QE. Which Radeon?

I upgraded my ATI Rage128 pro to the 64MB Radeon and love it.

106 is really nice
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
<a href="http://www.toolband.com" target="_blank">www.toolband.com</a>
Reply
post #10 of 21
[quote]<strong>Which Radeon?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The original.
post #11 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Jared:
<strong>I hope none of you that are using the leaked builds full time bitch and complain when you have the retail version of Jaguar and it does not install on your machine, or screws some things up

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Jared ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jared, dood, for your info it's not leaked version, it's the version that Apple released on their ADC site. So obviously, you aren't sure wha you're saying...you are just trying to generate a post. <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
post #12 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Jared:
<strong>I hope none of you that are using the leaked builds full time bitch and complain when you have the retail version of Jaguar and it does not install on your machine, or screws some things up
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple says Jaguar is supposed to do a clean install...
post #13 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:
<strong>I upgraded from a Radeon to a GeForce 4Ti, but I didn't see much difference in performance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who is the manufactorer of the GeForce 4Ti? I know nVidia develops them but...

Do you get DVD playback with the updated card? How much was it and where did you get it? <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
post #14 of 21
I also did a clean installation. There is a diffrence. <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
post #15 of 21
It's an Apple GeForce 4Ti 4600 card. $399 from the Apple store. Why do you ask?
post #16 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:
<strong>It's an Apple GeForce 4Ti 4600 card. $399 from the Apple store. Why do you ask?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a Sawtooth that I want to upgrade the video card to. I will just get a Radeon or something
post #17 of 21
As I mentioned in another thread, I've installed 6C106 on a blueberry rev.D iMac. I'm surprised at how fast it runa compared to 10.1.5. Don't get me wrong, it's not a speed demon, but its almost usable now.

I can't wait to slap the GM release on my Ti and QS.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #18 of 21
I installed 6C106 today on my dual usb iBook

Where are you all finding the speed changes? I was very disappointed in that I didn't find anything faster at all. using the dock magnification actually seems slower!

I didn't do a clean install. Maybe that's the problem
...nunc et in hora mortis nostrae...
Reply
...nunc et in hora mortis nostrae...
Reply
post #19 of 21
greetings,

installed 98 on my beige g3 (400 mhz, 384 MB RAM, Radeon 7000) and it's impressive.

i'd heard that i shouldn't expect much from a low end machine like mine but it's nice. pretty much everything is smoother, faster and "snappier!" the GUI is where i expected it to be for 10.0 but i had really high expectations from OS X. scrolling is much improved in IE but still pathetically slow when compared to 9 with the Radeon card - that said, i'll stay with this.

after 10.1, i stopped using 9 completely. with 10.2, i think everyone should upgrade. i have money in the bank waiting for a nice power mac but i won't spend it until there's some real heavy duty guns in the power macs. especially since 10.2 makes my beige box so much more tolerable.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently." -Nietzsche
Reply
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently." -Nietzsche
Reply
post #20 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by nagha:
<strong>greetings,

installed 98 on my beige g3 (400 mhz, 384 MB RAM, Radeon 7000) and it's impressive.

i'd heard that i shouldn't expect much from a low end machine like mine but it's nice. pretty much everything is smoother, faster and "snappier!" the GUI is where i expected it to be for 10.0 but i had really high expectations from OS X. scrolling is much improved in IE but still pathetically slow when compared to 9 with the Radeon card - that said, i'll stay with this.

after 10.1, i stopped using 9 completely. with 10.2, i think everyone should upgrade. i have money in the bank waiting for a nice power mac but i won't spend it until there's some real heavy duty guns in the power macs. especially since 10.2 makes my beige box so much more tolerable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, There is HUGE difference between 6C98 and 6C106!!!! 106 is much more stable, and more optimized, in 98 you can still get Kernel Panic, but in 106 hasrdly or not at all. Get 106 if you can.
post #21 of 21
[quote]Originally posted by Gong Rui:
<strong>I installed 6C106 today on my dual usb iBook

Where are you all finding the speed changes? I was very disappointed in that I didn't find anything faster at all. using the dock magnification actually seems slower!

I didn't do a clean install. Maybe that's the problem</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe because your video card isn't supported by QE?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Who's using OS 10.2 currently?