or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

post #1 of 88
Apple on Tuesday introduced the new fourth generation iPod nano, the thinnest iPod ever featuring a built-in accelerometer and new tapered design with a curved aluminum and glass enclosure, in nine more vibrant colors.

The new iPod nano incorporates the Cupertino-based company's new "Genius technology" which automatically creates playlists from songs in your music library that go great together, with just one click.

The fourth generation Nano, with a new 'tapered tube' form factor revealed in advance by accessory makers, is the thinnest ever with recycle-friendly designs that use arsenic-free glass and are also clean of Brominated Flame Retardants, mercury, and PVC plastics.

The new iPod nano also features a refined user interface, a high resolution portrait display and a built-in accelerometer that automatically switches to Cover Flow when rotated. Users can swipe the click wheel to run through Cover Flow titles. It can also be used to browse through photos in Cover Flow mode and to shuffle songs just by shaking the player.

The new Nano also gets built-in audio recording features, the first in an iPod outside of the iPhone. Along with the new iPod touch, the new Nano will offer headphones with a mic as a $29 accessory option.

Users can expect up to 24 hours of music playback or four hours of video playback. An 8GB model will retail for just $149 and be available later this week, while a 16GB model for $199 is due in stores by next week. Both models come in a spectrum of 9 different colors: silver, purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, pink, (PRODUCT) RED and black.

"The iPod nano is the world's most popular music player and we've made it even better for this holiday season," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We think users are going to love the amazing new design, the automatic Genius playlist creation, as well as automatically going into Cover Flow with just a turn of the wrist."

The new nano blends a two-inch display with a curved aluminum and glass enclosure. It was was designed to fit even more comfortably in your hand, Apple says.

The 16GB model holds up to 4,000 songs, 14,000 photos and 16 hours of video, and the 8GB model holds up to 2,000 songs, 7,000 photos and eight hours of video.
post #2 of 88
Waits for the newspaper story:

"Man arrested for shuffling in pocket"

"Downtown man Dave Johnson speaks of his shock at being arrested for shuffling his music on his new iPod as he was sitting on the bus/tube/tram this morning. 'I just had my iPod in my pocket, but I was tired of listening to Jack Johnson and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I just used the shake-to-shuffle feature. Next thing I know, women are looking at me with a look of disgust on their face, and at the next stop the police got on board and arrested me!' he says."
post #3 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Waits for the newspaper story:

"Man arrested for shuffling in pocket"

"Downtown man Dave Johnson speaks of his shock at being arrested for shuffling his music on his new iPod as he was sitting on the bus/tube/tram this morning. 'I just had my iPod in my pocket, but I was tired of listening to Jack Johnson and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I just used the shake-to-shuffle feature. Next thing I know, women are looking at me with a look of disgust on their face, and at the next stop the police got on board and arrested me!' he says."

Now that's hysterical!
On a subway here in NYC, someone would video clip it with their phone and it would be on the news that evening.
And The Post would headline it with his face pic" captioned "Caught Shakin' His Johnson"
post #4 of 88
Why did they lower the size from 160 to 120? Well I'm glad I bought it when I did, size matters to me.
post #5 of 88
Any of you guys who said NO WAY about shake to shuffle around right now??
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #6 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 16GB model holds up to 4,000 songs, 14,000 photos and 16 hours of video, and the 8GB model holds up to 2,000 songs, 7,000 photos and eight hours of video.

Should this read "OR 16 hours of video" and "OR eight hours of video"?
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #7 of 88
More important than this yawn-fest of a Keynote ...

Can anyone tell me who the artists of the songs are in the two new advertisements or where on Apple's site one can find out?

Me like and want to buy.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #8 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Why did they lower the size from 160 to 120? Well I'm glad I bought it when I did, size matters to me.

No offense guy, but Jobs said it in the keynote.

"no one buys (them"

You are in a tiny minority of users unfortunately for you.
post #9 of 88
Quote:

They had 2 models, a thin one at 80GB and a thick one at 160GB.

Now they have 1 model, a thin one at 120GB at the same price point as the old 80GB.

Depending on your point of view, they may have:

- Discontinued the thick 160GB iPod Classic, and simultaneously upgraded the thin 80GB iPod Classic with extra capacity and support for a new headphone remote, at the same price point.
- Discontinued the 80GB iPod Classic, and simultaneously downgraded and slimmed-down the 160GB iPod Classic, with upgraded support for a new type of headphone remote, at a reduced price point.
- Merged the two iPod Classic variants into a compromise version that took the width and price of the smaller version, with a capacity equal to the average of the capacities of the two old versions, plus upgraded support for a new headphone remote.
post #10 of 88
I think the new iPod nano models will be a hit this holiday season. The wide range of interesting colors should appeal to a wider base of users.
post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It wasn't keynote. It was a "special event".
post #12 of 88
Quote:

Can anyone tell me who the artists of the songs are in the two new advertisements or where on Apple's site one can find out?

Me like and want to buy.

One word: "Shazam"

It is an App for the iPhone that listen to music on then tells you what the song name and who is the artist. Works 90% of the time.
post #13 of 88
Quote:

If read together with a previous post, I guess size might matter to some
post #14 of 88
Quote:

Agreed.

With the Zune update today, Microsoft seems to have a better product at the same price now if you compare the Zune 120 to the iPod classic. Same price and size, but the Zune has built in radio, wireless and a much better interface...

I guess Apple has made the decision that the iPod classic with it's hard drive is not worth the trouble anymore and will let Microsoft and other companies take over that part of the market.

They're gambling a bit that the Touch/Nano combo is the future of MP3's and that flash is the way forward. Meanwhile, we'll just have to wait for flash memory to get a lot cheaper before we get really high-capacity portable players, it seems...

Very disappointing that the Nanos seem to be the same capacity as previously (also on par with Zune)...
post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Agreed.

With the Zune update today, Microsoft seems to have a better product at the same price now if you compare the Zune 120 to the iPod classic. Same price and size, but the Zune has built in radio, wireless and a much better interface...

I guess Apple has made the decision that the iPod classic with it's hard drive is not worth the trouble anymore and will let Microsoft and other companies take over that part of the market.

I disagree. The Zune looks like a turd and doesn't work with iTunes, end of discussion.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 88
Quote:

Agreed.

They're gambling a bit that the Touch/Nano combo is the future of MP3's and that flash is the way forward. Meanwhile, we'll just have to wait for flash memory to get a lot cheaper before we get really high-capacity portable players, it seems...

Very disappointing that the Nanos seem to be the same capacity as previously (also on par with Zune)...

No way Apple will let anyone take over any part of their MP3 player market. What's the use of WiFi if you don't have a web browser. Many WiFi Hotspots (universities, hotels, airports ..etc) requires you to use web browser to sign in before you use the service. I think many agree that the point of carrying an iPod is to avoid listening to radio
post #17 of 88
Quote:

Hmmmm, I must have missed it, but what prior model of Nano was 16GB? I thought the phattys were 4GB and 8GB?
post #18 of 88
Quote:

Agreed.

The Nanos are 8/16GB instead of 4/8GB
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #19 of 88
Quote:

Agreed.

I'd have to disagree that the Zune has a better interface, it's also ugly and honestly what's the point of Wi-Fi if you're not on the web or checking e-mail? You do realize that with 120GB of room you've got enough music to listen non-stop with no repeating for over a month - who needs the radio...

Also, the nano isn't the "future" of the MP3 player. The Nano has been far and away the #1 selling iPod since it debuted. The iPod (Classic) is the past, the Nano is past, present and future and the Touch is present/future.

And as others have said they double the capacities at the same price point while adding features - seemingly the same thing they do every update.
post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I don't recall this as a possible option at all, much less debated about.

Quote:

You are in a tiny minority of users unfortunately for you.

I knew they'd keep it, and I wondered about how they maintain the sizes and ran through possible capacities with the SL 120GB HDD now being an option, but I don't think I had then getting rid of the 80 and 160GB models for just an 120GB model. Those unhappy the loss of the 160GB model should know that you'll be able to buy it fro refurb m Apple's section soon, and for a price cheaper than it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No way Apple will let anyone take over any part of their MP3 player market. What's the use of WiFi if you don't have a web browser. Many WiFi Hotspots (universities, hotels, airports ..etc) requires you to use web browser to sign in before you use the service. I think many agree that the point of carrying an iPod is to avoid listening to radio

MS did add the Zune Marketplace to both their HDD and flash-based Zunes so the WiFi has use there. While this is of limited use for iTunes music, the $15/month subscription service does make the inclusion of WiFi pretty nice for Zune enthusiasts as it will start playing and/or DLing the song to your device immediately.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 88
Is anyone besides me a bit underwhelemed?

They should have called it "let's yawn", not "let's rock"
post #22 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I'd have to disagree that the Zune has a better interface... who needs the radio...

I think the UI has a nice polish to it and looks more modern than the iPods'. As for an FM receiver, I have no use for it, but there are many that do like this feature for radio, but it seems to be most popular with the TVs at gyms.
post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the UI has a nice polish to it and looks more modern than the iPods'. As for an FM receiver, I have no use for it, but there are many that do like this feature for radio, but it seems to be most popular with the TVs at gyms.

Well sure it looks nice but that doesn't mean it's better. Vista has a lot of "nice looking" features to it but we know how the rest of that goes.

I don't actually know anyone who listens to the TV at the gym I go to - they are all listening to the music that they pick for their workout. I know they have that option and tell you what station to tune to but they all have the closed captioning on so it's kinda pointless - at least in my experience.
post #24 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Haha!
post #25 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Is anyone besides me a bit underwhelemed?

They should have called it "let's yawn", not "let's rock"

I think you must have had your hopes set too high. They doubled the nano (their best selling iPod), intro'd new features, added a bunch of colors, lowered the price on the Touch as well as adding a couple of big anti-Touch points (no volume rocker, no speaker) and gave a nod to the masses that 2.1 was coming to the iPhone on Friday.

Anybody else think they need to make demos for some of these games? I'm sure the soccer would be fun but I'd at least like a demo - same with NFS, need to feel how well it works with the acceleramator (moto racer's implementation is, sadly, quite disappointing).
post #26 of 88
over all good iPod upgrades ...

what happened to the 30% profit margin drop?

too much hype leading to the event, let us see what 2.1 brings for iPhone.

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #27 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

I'd bet those nanos aren't the normal profit margin Apple expects. I mean, bigger screen, glass, accelerametor, and double capacity for the same price. Seeing as how it's the #1 selling iPod I guess it might have SOME impact but, yeah, not quite the margin impact I would expect from a 3-5% overall drop in profit margin.
post #28 of 88
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #29 of 88
also flash memory dropped between last sept and now ... where is 30% drop ...

i believe it is some other product hate to wait for another event and all the rumor leading to it.

MWSF - new Macs
WWDC - new iPhones
Sep event - new iPods

not sure how the October event going to fit or the 30% margin mystery ...

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #30 of 88
Quote:

Exactly! I can't see how this could possibly explain the profit warning. There has to be something bigger coming very soon.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #31 of 88
Null.
post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well sure it looks nice but that doesn't mean it's better. Vista has a lot of "nice looking" features to it but we know how the rest of that goes.

I really don't like Vista is nice looking or polished, but the Zune UI I do think nice. Now that is jsut the UI, not the speed or usability of the Zune firmware itself.

Quote:
I don't actually know anyone who listens to the TV at the gym I go to - they are all listening to the music that they pick for their workout. I know they have that option and tell you what station to tune to but they all have the closed captioning on so it's kinda pointless - at least in my experience.

I have to disagree with you here, too. The gyms I go are large and have many people on the, various walking machines who appear to be looking at the TV. I haven't polled people to see how many are tuned into the stations, but I do know from experience that listening to the News is much easier than trying to read CC when working out.
post #33 of 88
I forgot that there was an Apple event today. From what I have read, this was an iPod only thing. It was my understanding that the Mac laptop line was also going to get the refresh treatment... but from what I have seen on Google News there was no mention of new notebooks at all :-(

Is that true? If so I guess I'll have to wait a little longer until I replace my old laptop.
post #34 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Isn't everyone who buys a classic in the minority? I was expecting them to just discontinue it altogether.

Sebastian

as the form factor remained the same i assume there is almost 0 cost (besides the actual manufacturing) that went into this product, and there must just be enough people who want more than 32 Gb that they will keep it around until a 64/128 touch (or even "nano")
post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Isn't everyone who buys a classic in the minority? I was expecting them to just discontinue it altogether.

And those who want the immense storage of the Classic or wants a decent sized screen video capable PMP with a clickwheel would be out of luck. If they did that I think a good deal of them would go susceptible to Creative and MS' offerings, especially when it takes very little for them to switch a single platter HDD for a larger model.
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree. The Zune looks like a turd and doesn't work with iTunes, end of discussion.

I don't know, I think the zune looks pretty cool with the (free) laser engraving, for example:

And it doesn't really matter that it doesn't work with iTunes. A big part of the whole wifi thing is that with the subscription service, you can download songs wherever you are, as much as you want, which is especially great for the smaller capacity players...

Interface-wise, the zune is way more intuitive than the iPod classic, and the touch senstitive pad mirrors a lot of the functionality of the iPhone when it comes to flipping through albums. I don't own a Zune, but I do own an iPhone, and have tried a friend's zune and it's pretty close to that, which is a huge step up from endless clickwheel scrolling and shifting through albums in the ridiculous iPod classic menu system.

The folks that think wifi is useless without a web browser don't seem to be thinking of MP3 players as music-only devices anymore. I think that as Apple shifts focus to the iPod touch, which is really getting into PSP territory with all the games and apps and extra shit, it's important that there are some pure, full-functioned and innovative music devices out there. I think if Windows would wise up and include FLAC functionality to the zune, they'd get a lot of people on board who really just want a music player that plays music...

Anyways, I think this looks like the beginning of where the Zune stops being a step behind the iPod and really coming into its own as a product, which only means more choices for us.
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really don't like Vista is nice looking or polished, but the Zune UI I do think nice. Now that is jsut the UI, not the speed or usability of the Zune firmware itself.

I have to disagree with you here, too. The gyms I go are large and have many people on the, various walking machines who appear to be looking at the TV. I haven't polled people to see how many are tuned into the stations, but I do know from experience that listening to the News is much easier than trying to read CC when working out.

I stare at the TV too but I'm not listening to it. I think just looking at the TV isn't really a good way to gauge who is/isn't actually listening to the TV.
post #38 of 88
Quote:

also flash memory dropped between last sept and now ... where is 30% drop ...

i believe it is some other product hate to wait for another event and all the rumor leading to it.

MWSF - new Macs
WWDC - new iPhones
Sep event - new iPods

not sure how the October event going to fit or the 30% margin mystery ...

And also didn't he say that it involved some technology that no competitor could duplicate? This doesn't sound like the deal.

post #39 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And also didn't he say that it involved some technology that no competitor could duplicate? This doesn't sound like the deal.

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...
post #40 of 88
Quote:

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...

In the event they said it was anonymous

I think MS has a similar guru feature coming out for Zune

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer