or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch price cuts 'may not be enough' given conditions

iPod touch price cuts 'may not be enough' given conditions - Page 4

post #121 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

When they announced price cuts I was surprised Apple didn't go down to the $199 price point for the touch.

I originally thought Apple would hit the $199 point, but in hindsight, the $229 makes iPhone at $199 look more attractive, which is what Apple really wants, as iPhone clearly has higher margins than iPod touch. (I know iPhone is not really $199 since you need to pay the monthly service fee but it seems many people ignore that cost when comparing and choosing to make a purchase. I think it's clearly psychological.)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #122 of 129
Wow...so many stupid people. Financial analyst = retarded moron!

The iPhone still costs $399 and $499 if you don't meet the qualifications for the subsidized price, as previously mentioned by the smart people. Also, you don't have to pay almost $80/month or more for two years with an iPod Touch.

The 32 GB iPod Touch is a great value at $399 for the features that it offers. It wasn't long ago that the iPod Classic-style with no Wi-Fi, Apps, etc was $399. Or, go back a little further and the iPod Photo 60 GB debuted at a whopping $599! So stop complaining that it cost too much.
post #123 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

His concern, however, is that the new touch models are not priced aggressively enough for today's consumers, who may see more value in a $199 subsidized iPhone. [/url][/c]

iPod Touch Will sell like hot cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the STAR...

Check out the Ad:
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/ads/

Check out the tryout on Apple's website:
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
post #124 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Although Wu can't see it, that's exactly what Apple would want you to do if you're comparing the two: buy iPhone, not iPod touch. iPhone fetches Apple a total of about $400from the carrier, while iPod touch fetches $229 directly from you. Which would you want to sell of these two if you were Apple?

On the other hand, Apple wants you to buy an iPod touch instead of the iPod classic, since touch is the future and is a catalyst to bring in additional revenue (wi-fi Store, App Store). So voila: iPod classic $249, iPod touch $229. (Now if you want capacity, Apple would be glad that you bought the classic instead of nothing at all.)

If both $199+$service contract, and $229 are too rich for you, then Apple wants you to buy the nano at $149 today. And maybe next year, you can buy touch.

Apple is the master of the upsell.

Precisely! Which suggests that analyst Wu, no doubt being paid a pretty penny for his insights, is missing the point entirely when he says (assuming he was not misquoted) that his concern, however, is that the new touch models are not priced aggressively enough for today's consumers, who may see more value in a $199 subsidized iPhone.

What concern? Apple is laughing all the way to the bank either way, as they should be.
post #125 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

How can Apple sell an 8 GB iPhone for $199 and an 8 GB iPod touch for $229?

because people wont leave verizon, or tmoble

also the iphone costs at least $600 plus voice package more over 2 years
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #126 of 129
I really don't have much sympathy for people complaining about the Touch pricing in comparison to the iPhone. That's just plain stupid, as if the service for the iPhone is a hidden fee that catches people by surprise and has nothing to do with the price of the iPhone.
post #127 of 129
What's the chance the new $29 microphone headphones will be standard once they are available? I thought it was funny the accessory price is the same for them as for the existing non-mic headphones. That announcement in a couple of weeks may help a fence sitter buy one.
post #128 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by inomis View Post

What's the chance the new $29 microphone headphones will be standard once they are available? I thought it was funny the accessory price is the same for them as for the existing non-mic headphones. That announcement in a couple of weeks may help a fence sitter buy one.

They could, but i think it's unlikely and wouldn't hold out for that. I think the value added by thos headphones will sell themselves, especially the in-ear phones.

I really hope that it will y take a firmware update to get them working for the iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #129 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by natego1 View Post

AMEN! I was hoping for a REAL price cut. So stupid that the touch costs the same as an iPhone. Less functionality should equal LOWER PRICE!

I'm sure that many people feel the same way, but the fact is that the iPhone starts at $199 only because AT&T is discounting the iPhone for customers starting a new AT&T contract. Otherwise, the iPhone is priced much higher.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch price cuts 'may not be enough' given conditions