Originally Posted by sylvaticus
I hope it's OK to ask this question:
Ask away - it can't hurt.
Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.
Yes and I'm fairly shocked it didn't happen. One thing to realize is that the new Touch apparently has only one flash site. The largest flash device admitted to by Micron is 16GB. So I'm not sure how they managed to get to 32 GB in the Touch. Either they are using a different vendor, a device not publically announced or are using stacked chips. Either way they could have updated IPhone but didn't so I'm assuming supplies are constrained.
So in a nut shell iPhone could go to 32 GB anytime. The possibilities are after Thanksgiving (for Christmas shoppers) or at the next MacWorld/janurary announcements. The tech appears to be available so it is now a question of volume.
I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away
I doubt very much that an iPhone capacity update is a year away. One needs to find out what the chip is that is going into the 32GB Touch and find out if it is production constrained. Once the issue of availabilty is resolved all sorts of updates become possible.
Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.
You need to reconsider your value system. Is there anything on the new 3G models you really need? Second are you certain you would take a bath because there may be an upgrade option available.
In any event if you are concerned about updates all the way to janurary I wouldn't buy anything now. I would question though wether or not 16 or 32GB wil make that much difference to you.
Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).
The above makes no sense. The new iPhone don't sync any differently than the old!
I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.
Seriously Kieth buy the hardware when you need it! In this case please indicate why you would want a 3G iPhone. Besides 3G which really makes for a good net experience. Are you out of flash space or have other issues?
The reason I ask is that being on the upgrade treadmill can be very expensive if not managed well.