or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1 - Page 4

post #121 of 315
seems to be pushing mail more consistently... when I receive an email through outlook on my computer - my iphone buzzes - generally simultaneously - letting me know i have a new email... a positive.
post #122 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssteuer View Post

I'm happy for everyone for which this update made their device snappier, but my iPhone 3G is responding in the opposite way. I just updated, and everything is extremely slow now. Every app I open (and with app I mean, e-mail, contacts, SMS) takes 3 seconds or more before the display fully populates and becomes responsive. Going up/down folders in e-mail takes a couple seconds for each step. Opening an e-mail takes seconds... what's going on?!?!?!?!

Restore your phone, delete your backup within iTunes prefs, and update to 2.1 raw. You may need to go that far. My average sync time is now 12 seconds (I didn't restore, but I did do some major work about 2 weeks ago to clean out my iPhone, by deleting all my third party apps).
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #123 of 315
I just crashed the Mail.app btw by trying to delete 97 messages at once.\
post #124 of 315
[Edit]
post #125 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

1) Not everyone does have an email capable phone.

Not everyone has an MMS capable phone. Now if you were going to start over, which function would you include first:

a) a phone-only, picture-only system that lets your carrier charge you outrageous fees?
b) somethat that connects for free to every source of information in the world and works on computers, consoles and other systems too?

Quote:

2) What if I don't know someone's email address but do know their phone number?

Tie phone numbers to e-mail accounts. That is, allow me to send an e-mail to a "phone number". This is essentially how MMS works.

Quote:

3) It's free as part of your SMS allowance on most networks.

None in Canada that I am aware of.

Quote:

4) It's embarrassing when someone says "Can you MMS that to me" and you have to explain that your iPhone can't do that.

As opposed to "Can you see this web page" and your phone can't do that?

Which do you want to do more often? I don't know about you, but I've used MMS about five times in the last five years, three of which failed. I've sent hundreds of pictures from my iPhone. Why? Because they go directly in e-mail, FaceBook, Flicker, etc. This is where I keep all of my pictures in the first place.

Quote:

5) Email is not immediate.

Exactly!

Maury
post #126 of 315
Can anyone confirm if it breaks netshare app?
post #127 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gunter View Post

I'd like to say that I'm a long time listener, first time caller ;-)

iPhone's Contacts application loads and performs so much quicker than before the v2.1 software update that I felt compelled to register and share the good news!

Not for me it don't - same crappy 2 sec wait, feel like flinging it at the wall...
post #128 of 315
I used to get poor signals from ATT before the upgrade. Ever since I upgraded to 2.1, now I get no service. Is this happening to anyone else?
post #129 of 315
> I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May)

I did "teh switch" just after the Pros came out, so going on 2 years next month. Never going back.

> so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future

No. The iPods are done, at least until Macworld.

Maury
post #130 of 315
Contacts still incurs a significant delay before being responsive to touch. This would be far more acceptable if a visual cue was provided when the app is responsive. I feel so stupid and frustrated when I swipe the screen and nothing happens.

"Wait, wait, don't tell me!"
post #131 of 315
How do I set the SMS sound to chime multiple times like the new features say?
post #132 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaster73 View Post

I used to get poor signals from ATT before the upgrade. Ever since I upgraded to 2.1, now I get no service. Is this happening to anyone else?

Since the update my EDGE is fine, but when I switch to 3G I got NO SERVICE. I did a restart and all is fine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #133 of 315
Quote:
Can anyone confirm if it breaks netshare app?

It's still there after the update and it still works. Remember to use Safari on the iPhone first before running the NetShare app.
post #134 of 315
The User Agent states the exact same WebKit build as all the 2.x releases so far. This gives the iPhone a 74/100 on the Acid3 test. For comparison, Safari 3.x scores 75/100 and the latest FF3 gets 71/100.

Opera mobile has been a mobile browser since 2000 and has a great engine but it only gets 2/100 which is shows just how ideal WebKit is for the mobile platform. Beta builds of Opera's Presto engine are scoring 71/100.

However, it does not completely pass the Acid2 test on the initial load, giving the same result as Safari 3.x when you refresh the page after the initial test. This was a minor bug that has been since been fixed and will not be in Safari 4.x, and I assume won't be the next mobile Safari build as they seem to be using a similar WebKit build date for both platforms.
post #135 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvaticus View Post

I hope it's OK to ask this question:

Ask away - it can't hurt.
Quote:

Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.

Yes and I'm fairly shocked it didn't happen. One thing to realize is that the new Touch apparently has only one flash site. The largest flash device admitted to by Micron is 16GB. So I'm not sure how they managed to get to 32 GB in the Touch. Either they are using a different vendor, a device not publically announced or are using stacked chips. Either way they could have updated IPhone but didn't so I'm assuming supplies are constrained.

So in a nut shell iPhone could go to 32 GB anytime. The possibilities are after Thanksgiving (for Christmas shoppers) or at the next MacWorld/janurary announcements. The tech appears to be available so it is now a question of volume.
Quote:

I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away

I doubt very much that an iPhone capacity update is a year away. One needs to find out what the chip is that is going into the 32GB Touch and find out if it is production constrained. Once the issue of availabilty is resolved all sorts of updates become possible.
Quote:

Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.

You need to reconsider your value system. Is there anything on the new 3G models you really need? Second are you certain you would take a bath because there may be an upgrade option available.

In any event if you are concerned about updates all the way to janurary I wouldn't buy anything now. I would question though wether or not 16 or 32GB wil make that much difference to you.
Quote:
Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).

The above makes no sense. The new iPhone don't sync any differently than the old!
Quote:

I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.

Sincerest thanks,

Keith

Seriously Kieth buy the hardware when you need it! In this case please indicate why you would want a 3G iPhone. Besides 3G which really makes for a good net experience. Are you out of flash space or have other issues?

The reason I ask is that being on the upgrade treadmill can be very expensive if not managed well.

Dave.
post #136 of 315
I love the new software. Just to be safe, I just restored from scratch and redid everything. Well, it was worth it. No more delays on anything. The genius playlist not only works, but really does a great job. The annoying text message lag is gone, and that was my worst annoyance. Backups are about 10 to 20 times faster (not kidding), and installing apps is about 5 to 10 times faster. Opening and closing applications is generally sped up.

In general, I enjoy using my iPhone again!

Of course, things can always be faster. Let's hope Apple keeps improving the system responsiveness and cleaning out bugs. I don't need any new features right now.
post #137 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Not everyone has an MMS capable phone. Now if you were going to start over, which function would you include first:

While MMS is a dirty hack, it is a dirty hack that is widely supported and simple to use. There isn't yet a suitable replacement.

Email or IM is superior from a technical design standpoint. But for actual usage, MMS is more desirable in the here and now. Apple's refusal to implement it may be good in the long run if they succeed in replacing it with something superior. But as of yet, we're stuck without the ability to exchange pictures with the vast majority of people.

Sure, email and IM on a phone is great... but that doesn't make it possible for me to actually send or receive pictures from friends today. For that, MMS is required.
post #138 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since the update my EDGE is fine, but when I switch to 3G I got NO SERVICE. I did a restart and all is fine.

Man, I just must be a lucky guy.

I started the update, then went about my business. I came back to the iPhone about 20 minutes later and the update and sync were complete. I had a "floating" message on the iPhone that said "iPhone is activated" (or words to that effect) with an acknowledgement button. I clicked the
button and all is well.

No runs, no drips, no errors. And immediate 3G access.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #139 of 315
I updated to 2.1 early this morning. Everything seems a bit faster.

Oddly I can now make calls when the phone says "no service" and was unable to make a call when the phone had 3 bars. I think that 2.1 makes the number of bars shown or not shown meaningless.
post #140 of 315
The 2.1 firmware now supports a triple click to skip to the previous track when playing music.

This makes me sooooooo happy!

How Gay am I?
post #141 of 315
Maybe I'm just weird but does anyone else really miss the old 3G/EDGE icons?
post #142 of 315
It's hard for me it miss the 3G icon but I don't miss the edge one.
post #143 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandean1980 View Post

the 2.1 firmware now supports a triple click to skip to the previous track when playing music.

sweet! I've been wanting this feature since day one.
post #144 of 315
Also, snappier.
post #145 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It's hard for me it miss the 3G icon but I don't miss the edge one.

I'd be happy never to see that E again.

Of course, where I live, AT&T will take another century to put in 3G,
so I'll have to enjoy it only while travelling, and keep seeing the E in
my home area.

Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #146 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

While MMS is a dirty hack, it is a dirty hack that is widely supported and simple to use. There isn't yet a suitable replacement.

Email or IM is superior from a technical design standpoint. But for actual usage, MMS is more desirable in the here and now. Apple's refusal to implement it may be good in the long run if they succeed in replacing it with something superior. But as of yet, we're stuck without the ability to exchange pictures with the vast majority of people.

Sure, email and IM on a phone is great... but that doesn't make it possible for me to actually send or receive pictures from friends today. For that, MMS is required.

No, it's not. Check my post on the previous page.

To email (iPhone) -> SMS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gat...o_SMS_gateways
http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/
http://www.accutracking.com/sms-email.html

To SMS -> email (iPhone):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gat...Email_Gateways

Together, we can kill SMS dead.

I mean good lord, my current POS phone doesn't have MMS... so what does Verizon do? Set up an email forwarding. Which I turned off. The point is, every major carrier has these gateways - we just need to *USE* them.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #147 of 315
Well, so far so good indeed

from Google News, search for iPhone 2.1:

post #148 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

a) a phone-only, picture-only system that lets your carrier charge you outrageous fees?
b) somethat that connects for free to every source of information in the world and works on computers, consoles and other systems too?

I'm not saying don't have email on phones. I love my push email from MobileMe.

However, nearly every phone sold in the UK supports MMS. I'm a university student, and I would wager 95% of students have MMS capable phones.

Quote:
Tie phone numbers to e-mail accounts. That is, allow me to send an e-mail to a "phone number". This is essentially how MMS works.

If this happened, it'd be great.

The solutions that some companies have suggested (like email <phonenumber>@<carrier>.com) is useless, because that requires knowing which network they are on.

Quote:
As opposed to "Can you see this web page" and your phone can't do that?

Which do you want to do more often? I don't know about you, but I've used MMS about five times in the last five years, three of which failed. I've sent hundreds of pictures from my iPhone. Why? Because they go directly in e-mail, FaceBook, Flicker, etc. This is where I keep all of my pictures in the first place.

I want to see webpages most often. Which is why I have an iPhone.

My point is that it should do both. Obviously if I had to choose one I'd choose web browsing, but there's no reason why the two functions are mutually exclusive.
post #149 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Apple View Post

Well, so far so good indeed

from Google News, search for iPhone 2.1:

So, is this what Steve meant by a "killer app"?
post #150 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So, is this what Steve meant by a "killer app"?

post #151 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

There was nothing natural about the development of MMS, its strictly about money. The only reason for MMS convenience is because the software was install on millions of feature phones and email was not.

Email is clearly a better and more ubiquitous system. As smartphone and data usage grow MMS will die.
post #152 of 315
Quote:

I'm not saying don't have email on phones. I love my push email from MobileMe.

However, nearly every phone sold in the UK supports MMS. I'm a university student, and I would wager 95% of students have MMS capable phones..

I totally agree.... MMS is big in the UK and has been for a long time. So to have the latest all singing, all dancing phone but that cant do MMS is a shock to the system. Most people assume they can MMS you and it is an embarrassment to tell them your beautiful iPhone youve boasted over for so long cannot do something so simple. I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to add it to the phone. This is a phone catering for a worldwide market and just because MMS isnt as popular in the US doesnt mean it shouldnt be on the iPhone.

On the subject of Genius - its a great feature and by far superior to plain old shuffle. With a huge library of songs, it has helped me rediscover music I hadnt heard in a long time. Im not sure why people are so negative about it.
post #153 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by saveasnail View Post

I totally agree.... MMS is big in the UK and has been for a long time. So to have the latest all singing, all dancing phone but that cant do MMS is a shock to the system. Most people assume they can MMS you and it is an embarrassment to tell them your beautiful iPhone youve boasted over for so long cannot do something so simple. I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to add it to the phone. This is a phone catering for a worldwide market and just because MMS isnt as popular in the US doesnt mean it shouldnt be on the iPhone.

This isn't new, Apple has not supported technologies before that were popular but Apple viewed as inferior to better technology. Everytime Apple does this people think they are crazy, but more often than not proves to be the correct choice.

In the larger picture MMS isn't as good or as ubiquitous as email, its use will fade as data usage grows.
post #154 of 315
I am also a little confused by the "alledged" ability to be able to "...Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages..."

Having downloaded the updated user manual and looked for a while I have not managed to find any reference to it!

Any ideas anyone???
post #155 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This isn't new, Apple has not supported technologies before that were popular but Apple viewed as inferior to better technology. Everytime Apple does this people think they are crazy, but more often than not proves to be the correct choice.

In the larger picture MMS isn't as good or as ubiquitous as email, its use will fade as data usage grows.

Yup it may not be as good but its still popular and in huge usage in the UK. The majority of people still dont have iPhones here and will be using a standard mobile phone which does have MMS , but not readily or easily accessible email. Im just confused why the iPhone cant to both.
post #156 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think on the whole yes your right BUT I for one would like the ability to choose whether I use an Email or MMS.

Whilst every service provider may have the ability to email number@carrier.net in the UK this is used very very very little. I guess it's horses for courses and country by country it's going to differ but its one thing I do miss being able to send them!

I also miss Bluetooth transfer of images/data, copy and paste and being able to set my own ringtone but it's not going to make me like the iPhone any less!
post #157 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

I am also a little confused by the "alledged" ability to be able to "...Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages..."

Having downloaded the updated user manual and looked for a while I have not managed to find any reference to it!

Any ideas anyone???

From what ive read, this isnt a feature you can switch on or off, this is automatic. If you havent read a text message, it will repreat the sound again after an interval.
post #158 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_howells View Post

Whilst every service provider may have the ability to email number@carrier.net in the UK this is used very very very little.

Exactly. I dont know anyone with a phone other than an iPhone, who knows how to email from their mobile, or even wants to.
post #159 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by saveasnail View Post

On the subject of Genius - its a great feature and by far superior to plain old shuffle. With a huge library of songs, it has helped me rediscover music I hadnt heard in a long time. Im not sure why people are so negative about it.

Some developers released MMS applications for Jailbroken iPhones. They also did release some video recording and VOIP applications (for jailbroken iPhones too). We just need someone to do them for the App Store now. As far as I know, there is nothing in SDK agreement that forbid such apps.
post #160 of 315
updated my iPhone and much much faster in all areas so far.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1