Originally Posted by john_howells
My understanding is that from a Mac, setting ringtones is easy with Garage Band but those of us still using a PC (I'm gonna make the switch when the new Macbooks/Macbook Pros come) it seems to be a pain in the ass that I can't work out from looking round and only seems possible with jail breaking?!?!?! If Im wrong, please tell me how!
You can make them easy enough on the PC. Below is how. Garage band doesn't actually take and shorten MP3's so unless your writing your own song.. it would be useless to you.
1. Choose the song you want to make a ringtone. (it will need to be DRM free).
2. Now you need to shorten this song to less that 40 seconds. It will recognize it in iTunes if not, but will not allow you to sync it to your phone. Trust me i just tried. You can find all sorts of bits of software out there for the PC that can do this.
3. Save it it.
4. It needs to be in apples .acc format (also known as .m4a). If its an MP3 you can convert this in iTunes. In iTunes 8 its easier, just select the file, go the the advanced menu and click create ACC version.
5. Locate that file in your music folder.
6. Change the extension that it has (either .acc or m4a) to m4r
M4A = Audio
M4V = Video
M4R = RIngtone
7. Drag it into itunes and it'll suck it up