or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1 - Page 3

post #81 of 315
My sync now takes about 12-15 seconds.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #82 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

my caps lock hasn't worked since i got the 2nd gen iphone...

You have to turn it on in Settings » General » Keyboard.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #83 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

my caps lock hasn't worked since i got the 2nd gen iphone...

You do know that it's an option that has to be enabled by you? (Default is "off", out of the box.)

Settings | General | Keyboard | Enable Caps Lock

If enabled, a double-tap on the "Shift" arrow turns the button blue, meaning caps lock is on.
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #84 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

A bit of clarification for others reading this...

Apps are just files as well. They never become "part of the operating system". In fact, the operating system is in a completely separate directory structure that doesn't intermix with app data at all. There is certainly more going on than file copying. But that other stuff isn't accurately described as becoming part of the OS.

Some of the sluggishness is from apps being made up of many files, sometimes thousands of files per app. These are all contained in the application bundle. Copying a thousand files totallying 10MB will take much longer than copying a single 10MB file.

The rest of the sluggishness... I'm unsure about. Perhaps the apps are busy finding links to the appropriate versions of installed frameworks.

Thank you for clarifying for me, I obviously misunderstood how the process worked. Your explanation does make more sense when I actually sit down to think about it.
post #85 of 315
Is it just me or are the ringtones louder? Maybe a fluke, but they seem significantly louder!


post #86 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to turn it on in Settings » General » Keyboard.

Great minds . . .
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #87 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Battery life? Battery life? Battery life?

Maury

After this morning's update, my battery lasted until next Tuesday on
a single charge!

But seriously, folks, where's my cut, copy, and paste????
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #88 of 315
I have just noticed that the iPhone 2.1 software now lets me switch the 24 hour clock off and revert back to good old AM/PM. The 12 hour clock has not been available if the time zone was set to London.
post #89 of 315
2.1 iTunes makes some of my album artwork (Sublime - Santeria) only appear on horizontal cover flow and blank in the vertical position. \
post #90 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonypg View Post

I have just noticed that the iPhone 2.1 software now lets me switch the 24 hour clock off and revert back to good old AM/PM. The 12 hour clock has not been available if the time zone was set to London.

I prefer the 24-hour clock myself.
And I like my dates like this: Friday, 12 September 2008
And I like my phone numbers like this: 888.555.1212

I wonder why we can't set those formats individually?
None of the delivered profiles fits me exactly.

I'm not officially complaining, though. I love my iPhone and could
not live without it!
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #91 of 315
The number format can be set up in preference in Address Book.
post #92 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Can I pile on? Remember when the only word used to describe decent software was robust? And PLEASE - can we stop saying that Application B is like Application A on steroids? The first time I heard that it was in reference to Scandisk, in 1995. ARRRGGGH !!

I started working with "PCs" in 1981 (Atari 400) and started hearing that by 1984.

No reference meant pertaining to George Orwell or to Apple's Superbowl ad.
post #93 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I would count that as a blessing.
Do you really need something to "recommend" music to you and make up bogus playlists? -take all your information and "know" your likes and dislikes?
Isn't shuffle good enough?
Do you like when Amazon or Ebay "recommends" crap to you because you bought something vaguely like it? Do you need someone to "recommend" a pair of socks or a shirt to go with your pants you're buying when you shop?

I personally like the Genius feature, at least for selecting songs (rather than the iTunes store). It's more guided than the shuffle function. If I'm in a certain mood, or I'm digging a particular song, it's really neat for the iPhone/iPod to be able to create an on-the-fly playlist of similar songs and artists.

I've only had it on my iTunes for a day or two, and it's helped me rediscover a handful of songs I haven't listened to in quite some time It's especially helpful for those tracks for which I haven't given a star rating.
post #94 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I would count that as a blessing.
Do you really need something to "recommend" music to you and make up bogus playlists? -take all your information and "know" your likes and dislikes?
Isn't shuffle good enough?
Do you like when Amazon or Ebay "recommends" crap to you because you bought something vaguely like it? Do you need someone to "recommend" a pair of socks or a shirt to go with your pants you're buying when you shop?

I tend to be an optimist with Genius.

Genius asks: "Maybe you'll like some of these?"

rather than telling me: "Listen to these."

The glass is half full.
post #95 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Duh- that's why we create playlists and shuffle within the playlist.
DO you also own a mood ring?
Do you have your Biorhythms checked regularly?

Well, for one thing the playlist doesn't start up where you left off. So you ALWAYS here the first x number of songs every time you play that play list but not the ones at the end of the play list. That's why.
post #96 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I would count that as a blessing.
Do you really need something to "recommend" music to you and make up bogus playlists? -take all your information and "know" your likes and dislikes?
Isn't shuffle good enough?
Do you like when Amazon or Ebay "recommends" crap to you because you bought something vaguely like it? Do you need someone to "recommend" a pair of socks or a shirt to go with your pants you're buying when you shop?

PS - It's also great for quickly creating CDs of a certain genre/mood.
post #97 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

You do know that it's an option that has to be enabled by you? (Default is "off", out of the box.)

Settings | General | Keyboard | Enable Caps Lock

If enabled, a double-tap on the "Shift" arrow turns the button blue, meaning caps lock is on.

I had no idea it had become an option... thanks much!!
post #98 of 315
Enjoy reading the forums and decided to sign up..

My update is downloading now and hopefuly it will sort out some of the iPod probems I have!

When you use Genius, how important is the genre? I'm going to guess it's pretty important! I ask because at the moment I don't pay ANY attention to the genre and think it may stop me getting good results.

Cheers
post #99 of 315
I hope it's OK to ask this question:

Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.

I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away?

Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.

Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).

I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.

Sincerest thanks,

Keith
post #100 of 315
Some people are really misunderstanding what Genius is. There is the Genius playlist maker, which only makes a playlist of your own music; no recommendations from the iTunes Store.

There is also the Genius Sidebar, which makes recommendations based on what other users have. If you don't want this, close the sidebar and it is gone; no annoying recommendations.

They are seperate from eachother, so don't say that Genius is just another "Buy me! Buy me!" add-on, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Duh- that's why we create playlists and shuffle within the playlist.
DO you also own a mood ring?
Do you have your Biorhythms checked regularly?

Some of us don't like to predict what our mood is and have to make 30 playlists ahead of time. I guess we all aren't as talented as you...

Also, why not make it easier on myself and let Genius do it? It seems to be pretty accurate for me.
post #101 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Interesting ... but what is the .ipa ... it looks like one file going out. Is that unpackaged somehow when it hits the iphone. I really want to understand because maybe I will hate apple less if i do

I dread hooking an iphone to itunes now because of the time it takes and I have never been patient enough to wait over an hour for a sync.

.ipa files are similar to .app files. Actually, neither are files at all. They are completely normal directories in the file system. The finder simply pretends that they aren't in order to make life simpler on the user. When you double click on a directory ending in .app, the finder launches an executable file contained in the .app directory.

.ipa and .app files (directories) are used to indicate that the contents of that directory follow an apple standard. The directory must contain certain files and those files must be named properly in order for the OS to find them in a standardized location. .ipa refers to iphone app.

Hopefully I haven't butchered the explanation too much. I'm a developer but not an OS X or iPhone developer.
post #102 of 315
1) Sync fast
2) Sync of updated apps downloaded through iTunes8 much much faster.
3) Apps not crashing
4) More 2G and 3G bars than before.
5) UI seems faster, scrolling from screen to screen
6) Contacts faster
7) Camera tiny bit faster to load, but still slow.
8) Backup much faster, although during the backup my iMac's HD made a lot more noise during the backup then I have ever noticed before.

Am I happy. Very much so. I use it for entertainment and phone calls mainly, and not as a business tool. One of the best products I have ever puchased in my 25 years as a computer geek.
post #103 of 315
Quote:
I hope it's OK to ask this question:

Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.

I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away?

Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.

Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).

I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.

Sincerest thanks,

Keith


This probably wont be much help as I don't know much about Apple's product cycles, however I will say that there is an iPod Touch with 32gb as you will know and this gives me the impression that a 32gb iPhone can't be to far off, since (and I think I'm right in saying this) the 16gb iPhone was announced not long after the iPod Touch got this memory option. They may well wait until the next generation iPhone is released to offer 32gb however.
post #104 of 315
Previous to 2.1 when a call came in the entire screen was dominated by the photo of the incoming caller from your contacts.

Now it just shows a small photo and caller details at the top overlaid over your background image.

I'm probably just being resistant to change here, but my initial thought is I like the old way better.
post #105 of 315
Downloading in installing as I type this. Download finished quite fast. Disappointed to see that there is no turn-by-turn. Any news on cut/copy/paste ?
post #106 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

This probably wont be much help as I don't know much about Apple's product cycles, however I will say that there is an iPod Touch with 32gb as you will know and this gives me the impression that a 32gb iPhone can't be to far off, since (and I think I'm right in saying this) the 16gb iPhone was announced not long after the iPod Touch got this memory option. They may well wait until the next generation iPhone is released to offer 32gb however.

Thanks! As I understand it, though, the reason is that iPod uses two chips, but the iPhone uses one. In the recent past, a 32GB chip was expensive, but hopefully is coming down in price every day. When it's low enough that Apple can use it, we'll see two 32GB chips in iPods for 64GB, and a 32GB chip in the iPhone.

Fingers crossed!!

Keith
post #107 of 315
When downloading updates to apps and the attempting to sync and install them, I'm still getting the 0xE800002E error. I hope they fix this soon. It's pretty annoying having to uninstall apps and then reinstall them.
post #108 of 315
Working without problem for me so far. They have definitely made the signal strength meter less sensitive - it hasn't left 5 for me, even when I put the phone near the floor.

It takes a while to install - there will be some people who start to panic and hit escape and pull out cables etc.
post #109 of 315
Would be nice if Apple had an actual progress bar during the firmware upgrade to the phone. It did take a long time to do the upgrade and a little more info besides the message "updating iPhone" would have been nice. Very scary not know if it is going OK or if it is hung up, or just taking forever.

Other than that, the process went well with no hitches.
post #110 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Still there on my updated iPhone.

Ahh yes, but have they fixed it in the SMS App? I picked up an iPhone 3G earlier this week and one of the most annoying things I've notied is that the Caps Lock doesn't work when typing an SMS message.

OK ok...and my other beef is that you can't turn the unit sideways (landscape) in the Mail App. That is very irritating...especially when there is a lot of text to read.

Anyone able to confirm if they have fixed these two things? I will be updating to the 2.1 software when I get home from work this afternoon.

Cheers.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
post #111 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Just press the Home button ....... and 'Snap!' it takes .....

LOL!
post #112 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram100 View Post

Just installed 2.1 but cant find the genius function. Any clues?

Same here. Where is genius?
post #113 of 315
After iPhone 2.1 install, I have not noticed a significant increase of speed on the Sync. No big deal, I am not in that much of a hurry when I do it anyhow.

HOWEVER, my mail would not work. I'd hit the mail icon, get a white screen, then it would just go back to the home screen.

I had to delete the mail accounts, reboot the phone, re-add the mail accounts, then all was okay after that.

One note, I use IMAP instead of POP.
post #114 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafe View Post


But seriously, folks, where's my cut, copy, and paste????

Couldn't agree more. Some of us have been asking since June 30, 2007. It is getting to be tiresome...
\
post #115 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvaticus View Post

Thanks! As I understand it, though, the reason is that iPod uses two chips, but the iPhone uses one. In the recent past, a 32GB chip was expensive, but hopefully is coming down in price every day. When it's low enough that Apple can use it, we'll see two 32GB chips in iPods for 64GB, and a 32GB chip in the iPhone.

Fingers crossed!!

Keith

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. Can't imagine it's a long way off though!
post #116 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

Ahh yes, but have they fixed it in the SMS App? I picked up an iPhone 3G earlier this week and one of the most annoying things I've notied is that the Caps Lock doesn't work when typing an SMS message.

Ok ok, so I just read the messages noting that Caps Lock is turned off by default. Having just gone into Preferences / General / Keyboard, I was able to fix the caps lock issue in SMS.

However, someone please explain why Caps Lock would work for me in email messages, websites, etc...but not the SMS...while my Caps setting was turned OFF. That just seems strange that it would work in some Apps, but not others (while disabled in the pref pane).

Cheers.
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
-----------------
Aluminum MacBook; Black MacBook; Mac mini; 2 x iPhone 3G; Time Capsule, iPod Touch and a few other iPods kicking around.
Reply
post #117 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by denislemire View Post

Previous to 2.1 when a call came in the entire screen was dominated by the photo of the incoming caller from your contacts.

Now it just shows a small photo and caller details at the top overlaid over your background image.

I'm probably just being resistant to change here, but my initial thought is I like the old way better.

The previous version would treat the visual effects of calls differently based on the photo assigned to the contact calling you. If you only have a small picture of them synced from your computer then it will show the small picture as you described. If you had a larger image assigned on your phone it would use that photo. Are you sure it's not that?
post #118 of 315
has anyone noticed interference when using their iphone with 2.1 as a phone? i'm getting loud interference which seems to be occurring when the unit is receiving email while i'm on the iphone...

does anyone else use their iphone as a phone?
post #119 of 315
I'm happy for everyone for which this update made their device snappier, but my iPhone 3G is responding in the opposite way. I just updated, and everything is extremely slow now. Every app I open (and with app I mean, e-mail, contacts, SMS) takes 3 seconds or more before the display fully populates and becomes responsive. Going up/down folders in e-mail takes a couple seconds for each step. Opening an e-mail takes seconds... what's going on?!?!?!?!
post #120 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by xitzjustalex View Post

Did anyone notice that their Bluetooth switched Off after the iPhone 2.1 update?

Yes! Mine doesn't seem to be working. I had it off all the time before 2.1. I tuned it back on to test Remote and although I get the BT icon at the top it does appear to be lit up. It wont connect to my computer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1