or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp' - Page 8

post #281 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo4 View Post

Can anyone update the rumours/educated guesses on when the new macbooks will hit the stores? The waiting after 4 months is becoming unbearable!

thnks!

If you need one, go buy it, Apple has plenty of them.
post #282 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just to be clear, Montevina is a chipset and Nehelam is a CPU. So, Apple is currently using Santa Rosa chipsets with Penryn CPUs. The next machines will use Montevina chipsets with Penryn CPUs. After that, it will Montevina chipsets with Nehelam CPUs.

As for the arrival of Nehalam, it should occur later this year of early next year, but that will be for server and workstation-grade CPUs. Notebook-grade won't happen for about a year.

The Montevina chipset and Nehalem CPU do not go together. When mobile Nehalem (Clarksfield) arrives in about a year, it will have its own chipset (a mobile version of Ibexpeak).
post #283 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Montevina chipset and Nehalem CPU do not go together. When mobile Nehalem (Clarksfield) arrives in about a year, it will have its own chipset (a mobile version of Ibexpeak).

You're right. I thought that it would be the same socket that wouldn't change until Westmere. I wish Intel would use easier to remember names; it's confusing enough when you do follow this stuff.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3326&p=3
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #284 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by palple View Post

It's not sure that Apple will use the Montevina chipset at all: there rumors about switching to an nvidia chipset with much more powerful integrated graphic. That would be great for MacBooks.

I really don't see much weight to that rumour. There are just too many issues with not going with Intel in this regard and I don't believe NVIDIA's Tegra will go into production for nearly a year from now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #285 of 288
OpenCL anyone?
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #286 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're right. I thought that it would be the same socket that wouldn't change until Westmere. I wish Intel would use easier to remember names; it's confusing enough when you do follow this stuff.

I'm with you on the code names, but they are just that, internal code names. They don't make them up with the expectation that people will actually use them. And apart from computer enthusiast forums, no one does.

Also, there's no way a Nehalem processor could use the same socket and chipset as an existing Intel CPU, they're just too radically different. Lacking a frontside bus and all.
post #287 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really don't see much weight to that rumour. There are just too many issues with not going with Intel in this regard and I don't believe NVIDIA's Tegra will go into production for nearly a year from now.

The nvidia chipset rumoured to be in the new MacBooks will be officially introduced on October 15th, and it is already in production!
will be what it's going to be
Reply
will be what it's going to be
Reply
post #288 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by palple View Post

The nvidia chipset rumoured to be in the new MacBooks will be officially introduced on October 15th, and it is already in production!

The MCP7A-U chipset, that some rumor sites are talking about and that will be introduced on oct. 15 is a DESKTOP chipset, it's not designed to be used on an notebook.

Quote:
MCP7A-U is the top class chipset in the MCP7A family. Though it could be named as GeForce 9XXX, it will be come the first mainstream uATX mobo with DDR3-1333 support. Sources inform us the MCP7A-U will be the fastest mGPU, but who knows.

The only chipset from nvidia that COULD be used on a future notebook is the rumored MCP79 (single chip chipset) for which very few information is available, let alone the release date...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'