or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing

First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing

post #1 of 76
The first mobile handset running Google's Android software will showcase the search giant's brand and be priced in line with Apple's iPhone 3G, according to the Wall Street Journal.

In an article on its website Thursday, the financial paper said the HTC-manufacturered device, known amongst Internet circles as the Dream, will be priced at $199 and required a two-year service contract with T-Mobile when it's announced September 23rd.

In addition, the handset will feature co-branding from Google, which has reportedly helped T-Mobile finance some of the development efforts. Together, the pair plan to announce separate but "aggressively priced" data services packages for the device because Google "wants to see the phone sell at high volumes."

Among the Dream's features -- seen in the video below -- will be a large touch-screen, a track-ball for navigation and a swivel-out full keyboard, the Journal said. It will also run several Google applications, such as Maps, and feature an online market place akin to Apple's App Store.

post #2 of 76
Looks like a glorified Palm pilot.
post #3 of 76
I thought the iPhone was wildly overpriced? Guess not........
post #4 of 76
Sorry HTC, the only cellphone manufacturer out there is Apple. Nobody will buy your stupid shitty phone with its stupid features.

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #5 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Sorry HTC, the only cellphone manufacturer out there is Apple. Nobody will buy your stupid shitty phone with its stupid features.

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

I'm confused? How much total marketshare does Apple have in the VAST cellphone market? And not everyone needs a multimedia phone. I'd bet that most phones sold in the U.S. are flip or bar phones with small screens and just a numberpad -- you know, the ones that are likely free after rebate or $20 after rebate with a two-year contract.

For those people that simply need to make phone calls and take a few crappy pictures every once in a while, what more do you need?

Now if we're talking "smartphones", the iPhone has a sizeable portion of the market, but it is hardly the only cell phone manufacturer out there.
post #6 of 76
It looks like it solves some of my major iPhone complaints:

1. The iPhone is just too thin and portable. I forget it's in my pocket. Come on, give me some bulk!

2. The iPhone has no complex hinges or sliding parts to jam up or break over time. Where's the fun in that? Operating my phone should be like playing with a Transformers toy--and it should require two hands to do so. I get lazy pulling my iPhone out and typing without ever needing my other hand.

The iPhone's big multi-touchscreen lets the phone do away with those other parts. Glad to see not everyone feels the need to take advantage of that philosophy. Two different ways to point--finger directly, or indirectly via trackball. Too cool Well worth extra space in my pocket!
post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm confused? How much total marketshare does Apple have in the VAST cellphone market? And not everyone needs a multimedia phone. I'd bet that most phones sold in the U.S. are flip or bar phones with small screens and just a numberpad -- you know, the ones that are likely free after rebate or $20 after rebate with a two-year contract.

For those people that simply need to make phone calls and take a few crappy pictures every once in a while, what more do you need?

Now if we're talking "smartphones", the iPhone has a sizeable portion of the market, but it is hardly the only cell phone manufacturer out there.

If Apple built a phone that was just a phone, no iPod functionality and no internet, I would have still bought it as it's a hell of a lot better than my previous phone (a RAZR).
post #8 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... will be priced at $199 and required a two-year service contract with T-Mobile ...

It should say "and requires a two-year service contract".
post #9 of 76
Quote:

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

I prefer not to go down the bashing route. I see this on WIRED's forums too much and I don't understand why. I think competition is a good thing. Plus, what might be right for me may be craptasticly wrong for others. I dig Apple and I'm most comfortable with Apple because of the field I'm in. I do think they have fantastic product design/integration that other are scrambling to mimic. But like I said, competition is a good thing.
post #10 of 76
Could that video have been any worse? I suspect the final product may be a little better than the impression given here. It'd better. From HW pov it looks bad, like nagromme points out. I think most people will buy this phone because of Android, however. Can't wait for the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It looks like it solves some of my major iPhone complaints:
1. The iPhone is just too thin and portable. I forget it's in my pocket. Come on, give me some bulk!

2. The iPhone has no complex hinges or sliding parts to jam up or break over time. Where's the fun in that? Operating my phone should be like playing with a Transformers toy--and it should require two hands to do so. I get lazy pulling my iPhone out and typing without ever needing my other hand.
post #11 of 76
Sweet! I look forward to seeing what fresh ideas Android can bring to the table. As for the price, $199 is a little steep for a device that is EDGE only, unless the data package is only $20. How much on-board flash does it have for $199?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post

But like I said, competition is a good thing.

Agreed--and from open source, not Microsoft. All the better!
post #13 of 76
Gruber said it best at the launch of the original iPhone, when he said the market was now divided between those who want a free handset, and those who want an iPhone.

There's little reason now to pay for a handset that isn't an iPhone, and I'm just not seeing the appeal of Android. Competition is a good thing, but to anyone whose main objections to the iPhone were pricing and being "locked in" to a carrier for 18 months, how is Android attractive?

Let's leave aside the fact that, like the MacOSX and Vista development timelines, by the time Android actually hits the streets, iPhone will already be at Version 2.1, possibly 2.5 or higher, while Android will still be working out the 1.0 kinks.

I'm all for cutting edge technology, but until I see some compelling features, the iPhone seems like a much safer, more stable bet! Ultimately, I must concur with the above poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

\
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas7 View Post

Let's leave aside the fact that, like the MacOSX and Vista development timelines, by the time Android actually hits the streets, iPhone will already be at Version 2.1, possibly 2.5 or higher, while Android will still be working out the 1.0 kinks.

I won't tell you how I got a copy of iPhone 2.1 software (you can Google it) but I did And I can say it fixes a few kinks of its own. And leaves me looking forward to the features Apple didn't finish for 2.0 because they were focused on the SDK and App Store.

Anyway... I agree about the lack of appeal, but still, there are people for whom AT&T coverage is poor, and if their T-Mobile coverage is good, this might be worth a look. (Better yet, avoid Android 1.0 hardware and OS just like I avoided iPhone 1.0, and see where it goes in a year.)
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet! I look forward to seeing what fresh ideas Android can bring to the table. As for the price, $199 is a little steep for a device that is EDGE only, unless the data package is only $20. How much on-board flash does it have for $199?

Edge only?

Same price.... half the speed.
Can't wait for the ads to come out.

I thought the iPhone price was too high and Edge was too slow?

Are these people really coming out with something to compete with the iPhone 1.0?
post #16 of 76
Quote:

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

You know what, youre wrong.
I am very excited for this phone. I want to buy it on day one. Why?
There is no way on god's green earth I am switch to ATT wireless. The iPhone is a problem though. I wouldnt mind an iPhone, but its just not gonna happen. Also, If I had an iPhone, id look like a pretentious asswipe, which I dont want either. Seriously though, It is what I think, and I know many others who see the iPhone in someone's hand and thinks the same thing. I think the same about my friends with an iPhone... sorry to anyone Im offending, you just have to deal with it.
I also want a phone that actually renders html. Looks like the G1 is my phone.
post #17 of 76
LOL, you suck for even being dumb enough to buy a Razr...those phones suck. HTC phone are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

If Apple built a phone that was just a phone, no iPod functionality and no internet, I would have still bought it as it's a hell of a lot better than my previous phone (a RAZR).
post #18 of 76
Can you explain why it's good from open source but not from MS.
Quote:

Agreed--and from open source, not Microsoft. All the better!
post #19 of 76
I don't think too many people find an iPhone pretentious. What are people pretending, if there's no alternative product they could choose? Mobile Internet has gone mainstream. Too late to put that genie back in the bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Because Microsoft is known for its monopolistic and anti-consumer business practices and its sluggish pace of innovation. I'd rather see mobile platforms take off without a tie-in to the existing personal computer monopoly.
post #20 of 76
And Apple isn't?
Quote:
=nagromme;1310493
Because Microsoft is known for its monopolistic and anti-consumer business practices and its sluggish pace of innovation.
post #21 of 76
Quote:

And Apple isn't?

No, it isn't.
post #22 of 76
Quote:

And Apple isn't?

Correct.

People misuse the term "monopoly" a lot, and they like to say that if they can find some vague similarities between two situations then the two cases must be identical. But Apple's OS X -> iPhone is really, truly, NOT the same situation as Microsoft and desktop Windows and Windows mobile.

Besides which, even if Apple and Microsoft were somehow producing the same quality/usability based on the same decades-long pervasive "monopolies," that still wouldn't be a reason to NOT be glad for open-source innovation.
post #23 of 76
I beg to differ, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Quote:

Correct.

People misuse the term "monopoly" a lot, and they like to say that if they can find some vague similarities between two situations then the two cases must be identical. But Apple's OS X -> iPhone is really, truly, NOT the same situation as Microsoft and desktop Windows and Windows mobile.
post #24 of 76
It's going on the brand new T-Mobile 3G network. That should be interesting. I doubt they'll have as much press with 3G problems as Apple did.
post #25 of 76
I think Apple/ATT should be very worried, since what may appeal is the monthly pricing plans: T-Mobile has been extremely aggressive lately, and ATT's rates and plans rankle.

People may be willing to settle for a handset that does less than the iPhone, but offers a total cost of ownership that is substantially lower.
post #26 of 76
Quote:

I beg to differ, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You can't think of any differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It's going on the brand new T-Mobile 3G network. That should be interesting. I doubt they'll have as much press with 3G problems as Apple did.

If it's 3G and not EDGE, and has 8GB of storage (which I don't know) then the price is right at least!
post #27 of 76
Oh there are some differences, to a certain degree, but I think both MS and Apple pretty much one in the same. I just prefer Apple computers...and WM Phones. Strange I know.
Quote:

You can't think of any differences?
post #28 of 76
Quote:

Let me take this one.... it's too easy.

There would be no need to even HAVE an open source initiative if it weren't for the draconian practices of of MS. Any doubt, ask the people that work for Stacker how well THEY liked dealing with the evil empire.

It's good to support the open source community just to feed the other side of the evil empire.
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I doubt they'll have nearly as many users and that's going to make it a LOT easier.
post #30 of 76
I don't give a shit about Stacker, ask Psystar how they like dealing with Apple. You say you support the open source community, but yet you support Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Let me take this one.... it's too easy.

There would be no need to even HAVE an open source initiative if it weren't for the draconian practices of of MS. Any doubt, ask the people that work for Stacker how well THEY liked dealing with the evil empire.

It's good to support the open source community just to feed the other side of the evil empire.

I always support the bad guys.

***I'm also a Yankee Fan**
post #31 of 76
Quote:

You say you support the open source community, but yet you support Apple.

Google is going after MS, not Apple.
Apple is busy doing it's own thing and taking advantage of the havoc created by MS.
Open source is a creation out of the same angst created by the evil in Redmond.
I support all in the battle against evil..........
post #32 of 76
You think Google is only going after MS? Really?
Quote:

Google is going after MS, not Apple.
Apple is busy doing it's own thing and taking advantage of the havoc created by MS.
Open source is a creation out of the same angst created by the evil in Redmond.
I support all in the battle against evil..........
post #33 of 76
When are people going to learn to focus?
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Can't wait for the other shoe to drop.
I believe it is only a matter of time before we see an entry level iPhone.
It will be a hybrid of the nano and iPhone.
It will be primarily a iPod and Phone without all the web and apps.
post #35 of 76
Quote:

You think Google is only going after MS? Really?

Are you kidding?

The entire battle is Google against MS.
What are you thinking?
What do you think MS was doing trying to buy Yahoo?
What is all the web based tools Google is coming up with but an attempt to move the shift from MS desktop applications to web based ad based models.
Keep your eye on the ball.
If Google was really after Apple, they'd be making the hardware for this instead of relying on a four way partnernership.
This is all about Android taking share away from WM.
Only on an Apple message board are people really thinking it's all about attacking the iPhone.
This is another way to block off MS from owning the next marketplace (internet) the way they owned and controlled the last marketplace. (desktop)

Now, T-Mobile is trying to get an answer to the iPhone for countries where they can't sell it so they can compete with AT&T or whoever DOES have t in a particular country.

And the "handset" makers, in this case one in particular, are trying to compete with the iPhone.

But Google itself, is not making hardware to compete with the iPhone.... is not holding frequencies from the acution to compete with AT&T and verizon, and is mostly worried about MS and their evil attempts to rally in response of the internet growth.
Everything these two are doing (MS and Google) is focused on strategic moves to block each other.

Goggle vs the iPhone? Not so much.
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Could that video have been any worse? I suspect the final product may be a little better than the impression given here. It'd better. From HW pov it looks bad, like nagromme points out. I think most people will buy this phone because of Android, however. Can't wait for the reviews.

The dead silence with the heavy breathing was intense.
You could have cut the excitement in the room with a knife.
The only thing that would have made it better is a chirping cricket.
post #37 of 76
Are you fricking KIDDIN!
You think Google is entering the mobile market and sign with TMobile, to not take customers away from AT&T and kill some of the iPhone hype!
WoW, just WoW.
Quote:

Are you kidding?

The entire battle is Google against MS.
What are you thinking?
What do you think MS was doing trying to buy Yahoo?
What is all the web based tools Google is coming up with but an attempt to move the shift from MS desktop applications to web based ad based models.
Keep your eye on the ball.
If Google was really after Apple, they'd be making the hardware for this instead of relying on a four way partnernership.
This is all about Android taking share away from WM.
Only on an Apple message board are people really thinking it's all about attacking the iPhone.
This is another way to block off MS from owning the next marketplace (internet) the way they owned and controlled the last marketplace. (desktop)

Now, T-Mobile is trying to get an answer to the iPhone for countries where they can't sell it so they can compete with AT&T.

And the handset maker, in this case one in particular, are trying to compete with the iPhone.

But Google itself, is not making hardware to compete with the iPhone.... is not holding frequencies from the acution to compete with AT&T and verizon, and is only worried about MS and their evil attempts to rally in response of the internet growth.
Everything these two are doing (MS and Google) is focused on strategic moves to block each other.

Goggle vs the iPhone? Not so much.

Blah, I never said they were attacking Apple. They do want all the business they can get, and if that means taking iPhone users away from AT&T, so be it.
post #38 of 76
Quote:

Are you fricking KIDDIN!
You think Google is entering the mobile market and sign with TMobile, to not take customers away from AT&T and kill some of the iPhone hype!
WoW, just WoW.

Blah, I never said they were attacking Apple. They do want all the business they can get, and if that means taking iPhone users away from AT&T, so be it.

Agreed. This Android phone is a blatant iPhone clone. One of the closest ones yet. It scrolls with a finger just like the iPhone. It even uses Apple's webkit as the base for the browser.

They are clearly targeting the iPhone. Similar phone, software trying to imitate it as well, and same price.

We'll see how well it works out in practice. How can a company beat another company if all they do is copy? Someone has to lead with new innovations, and today that is Apple and only Apple.

Tmobile is a relatively small player in the US market, they're trying to break in. They just started a 3G rollout so they have almost no 3G coverage. Phone is likely to be bulkier because of the keyboard. Their app store clone will be interesting. T-mobile will likely restrict apps at least as much as Apple has. If not, thats better for all of us. T-mobile's store said they're taking 50% revenue from developers. Its not clear to me that they'll attract many developers. I don't see the advantage of yet another platform vs. the iPhone, at least without they stating some benefits above and beyond what the iPhone ecosystem can provide.

So in summary, its the most serious competition the iPhone may have in the near future. It may grow to be a serious competitor, but at this point its time to sit back and watch the show.
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Agreed. It certainly lacks the elegance and polish that Apple brings to the table.
post #40 of 76
Quote:

I thought the iPhone was wildly overpriced? Guess not........

Bump

The iPhone is apparently underpriced.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing