or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › McCain campaign ON HOLD!

McCain campaign ON HOLD!

post #1 of 169
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/...rap/index.html

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced Wednesday that he is suspending his campaign to return to Washington and focus on the "historic" crisis facing the U.S. economy.

McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.

The Arizona senator called on his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, to do the same.

What can MCCain do in DC that he can't do from the road?

post #2 of 169
He can try to look more presidential and say that Obama doesn't look presidential.

It's a stunt.
post #3 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It's a stunt.

Yup, 'tis.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #4 of 169
Don't you think it'll make the minds up of millions that will hear that and either stay home on Nov 4th or decide to vote for Obama because he's now the only (perceived) choice?
post #5 of 169
McCain folds, like a scrotum hitting the icy waters of reality.

Edit:

Obama contacted McCain at 8:30AM this morning to issue a joint statement against Bush's plan. Now McCain responds to that gesture by parading around and acting he was the one who reached out to Obama.
post #6 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

What can MCCain do in DC that he can't do from the road?

He can avoid debating Obama.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #7 of 169
First thing I thought of was, "I'm not ready for this debate, the economy will make a good excuse to postpone it." But that's just my opinion...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #8 of 169
His entire campaign feels like a stunt. POW. Maverick. Georgia. Hurricane Ike. Palin. Suspend the campaign.

Lurching around like this surely can't be good for the electorate's perception of your leadership qualities, can it? There's no theme, just "I'm John McCain and I'll charge at the next target like a maddened bull, unless I lose interest and wander off, and that's change you can believe in."

Combine that with the now widespread impression that his campaign doens't, um, value the truth, much, and I think we may be looking at his final collapse. Economic meltdowns have a way of focusing the attention, and Flighty McCrazy doesn't exactly come off as the steady hand. Too bad he doesn't have a running mate that might serve as ballast.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #9 of 169
To some Obama's campaign sounds like a string of meanings platitudes and unachievable pronouncements.
post #10 of 169
What I'm really waiting for is the VP debate, just to see Palin get utterly destroyed by Biden.

Quote:
Vice presidential debate:
Thursday, October 2
Washington University in St. Louis, MO

Countdown to a statement requesting delay of the VP debate by the McCain camp in 3...2...1...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #11 of 169
Quote:

To some Obama's campaign sounds like a string of meanings platitudes and unachievable pronouncements.

That "some" is probably right here. Nowhere else but here.

Love this one:

Quote:
Why not just suspend the elections until this is sorted out? When Paulson and Bernanke tell us it is safe to come out, we can get back to that silly partsian game of Presidential Elections.

Its not like the newly elected President is going to get to do anything once all this power is handed to Paulson. Since the Secretary of the Treasury will be in charge for the next two years anyway - according to the Bush proposal - lets just postpone them until 2010.

By then, McCain may be dead and we can just elect Palin.

post #12 of 169
They finally vetted Palin and found something so bad, so evil, so mind numbingly obscene that they have to put a hold on campaigning to replace Palin with someone else.

My guess: She and Todd ate their first 3 children during a blizzard.
post #13 of 169
... although, if you take into account that the Prez nominees are the de-facto party leaders, maybe Obama and McCain should be in DC for at least a week or so until there is a deal worked out on this mess. I have not yet seen a plan that makes sense and is fair to all parties involved. Maybe some on-site leadership would help from McCain and Obama.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #14 of 169
John, baby, calm down man, your head looks ready to explode.
This could make a mess.
We have enough messes of yours already!

Love,
The GOP
post #15 of 169
Quote:

My guess: She and Todd ate their first 3 children during a blizzard.

OMG... Oregon Trail. I love that game.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #16 of 169
Quote:

And to some dogs hold the secrets to the ages.

However, it's pretty clear that Obama's positions are reasonably consistent with an actual philosophy of governance, and thus with one another. You can disagree with that philosophy and seek to critique it, but that's a different order of challenge from demonstrating how McCain's various enthusiasms add up to anything much more than ADD backed with a habit of belligerence.
post #17 of 169
Wow. I can understand the theory here - stay on the offensive, make bold moves, keep the other side responding to you. It was the theory behind canceling the first part of the Repub convention, it was the theory behind picking Palin. But at some point it just looks like desperate flailing around, and McCain is way past that point.
post #18 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Wow. I can understand the theory here - stay on the offensive, make bold moves, keep the other side responding to you. It was the theory behind canceling the first part of the Repub convention, it was the theory behind picking Palin. But at some point it just looks like desperate flailing around, and McCain is way past that point.

Add to that, this: I don't think McCain hasn't voted on anything since April.

Nevertheless, WE HAVE TO GIVE THE TREASURY $700 BILLION RIGHT NOW OR THE ECONOMY COULD COLLAPSE BY MONDAY!!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #19 of 169
According to CNN he wants to reschedule the debate for Oct. 2

That is, have the debate in the slot that the VP debate would have filled.

Delay the VP debate.
post #20 of 169
Obama will be there.

Where will McCain be?

Hail Mary pass.

Waffle?

Flipper?

Palin takes McCain's place?
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #21 of 169
If McCain bails then maybe Barr, Paul, Nader and/or McKinney can show up.
post #22 of 169
McCain has proven he is incapable of being POTUS. Testing under fire and he can't handle it.

Of course, it could just be a stunt, but a low-level one at that.

Either way, he has once again proven that he does not belong in the WH.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #23 of 169
Wow, that was clever. Try to postpone the debate and push it to the VP debate slot. Then "try" and re-schedule the VP debate. Which there is no time for. These things don't come together in an instant. Venues have to be arranged and paid for. Networks need a ton of time to set up, lay cable, setup their cameras, lighting, etc.

So what they're really trying to do is prevent Pallin from debating. Ultimately. No press conferences. Wage war with the press. Obfuscate, obfuscate, obfuscate.

I personally believe that the McCain campaign staff has come to the conclusion that Pallin is a major liability for them. They honestly cannot afford for Pallin to open her mouth much. This late in the game they won't be able to recover from a major Pallin gaffe.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #24 of 169
Good lord. I mean, I know other people here have said this, some seriously, some in jest, but I really think McCain's campaign has jumped the shark.

I mean, how transparent can you possibly get and still keep a straight face?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #25 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Good lord. I mean, I know other people here have said this, some seriously, some in jest, but I really think McCain's campaign has jumped the shark.

I mean, how transparent can you possibly get and still keep a straight face?

Well, it's all predicated on the notion that Obama will behave similarly to Kerry, or Gore, or any other weak kneed Democrat of the last decade. So they set him up for the "bitch slap". Unfortunately for Team McCain, Obama flipped them the bird.

So I want to see Obama standing at the podium Friday night with McCain mysteriously missing.

Of course, I'm sure McCain's prepared two press releases. One for how much of hero is because he convinced Obama to be his bitch. And another one for how much of a villain Obama is for not following the hero, McCain.

It's all a stunt, of course. The only thing that's changed between Monday and today is McCain's poll numbers. And let's not even talk about McCain's vapid VP. Oy. Yeah, I'm sure their big concern is doing whatever they can to torpedo the VP debate.
post #26 of 169
Mark Ambinder just now...

A senior campaign official says that McCain will NOT debate -- no matter what -- if Congress hasn't reached an agreement on a bailout package.

And to make matters even more hilarious...

The aide did not know whether Gov. Palin would attend Oct. 2's vice presidential debate if Congress, by that point, still hasn't reached a deal.

Last I checked Palin was a governor, not a senator or congresswoman. Why would Palin not be able to attend her one and only debate?

Yet another glimpse into a McCain presidency. Do what I say or I'll hold my breath!
post #27 of 169
An interesting theory I heard was that their campaign may be running out of money. By suspending it now they can have more to spend in the final weeks before the election.
post #28 of 169
This may work. Where are all the TeeVee cameras? The Hill. Where's McCain? Head to The Hill. Where's Obama? BFE Middletown America.

If McCain can get some face time on TeeVee looking like the man on the scene to solve the problem. It might work.
post #29 of 169
Quote:

An interesting theory I heard was that their campaign may be running out of money. By suspending it now they can have more to spend in the final weeks before the election.

That thought occurred to me too.
post #30 of 169
Quote:

This may work. Where are all the TeeVee cameras? The Hill. Where's McCain? Head to The Hill. Where's Obama? BFE Middletown America.

If McCain can get some face time on TeeVee looking like the man on the scene to solve the problem. It might work.

Great. We get to see McCain on camera doing....well....something.
post #31 of 169
Quote:

Naw. Palin uncorked the donors. McCain's got enough cash.
post #32 of 169
So, what's stopping McCain from just not showing up?

Is there a debate contract? If there's a contract, does it provide remedies if McCain or Obama breaches one of the terms?
post #33 of 169
Obama would look foolish debating himself.
post #34 of 169
Clearly.

It wouldn't get to that point anyway if they knew he wasn't going to show up. But I mean is there anything actually stopping him from pulling out of the debates?
post #35 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

And let's not even talk about McCain's vapid VP. Oy. Yeah, I'm sure their big concern is doing whatever they can to torpedo the VP debate.

CNN is reporting that is exactly what is happening...

Quote:
(CNN) McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday.

Graham says the McCain camp is well aware of the position of the Obama campaign and the debate commission that the debate should go on as planned but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the Republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there's no deal on the bailout.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #36 of 169
Quote:
but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the Republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there's no deal on the bailout.

Pathetic whichever way you look at it.

Guys, whoever is writing this script....it's not funny anymore!!
post #37 of 169
Holy fucking shit, does McCain have a hard-on for his own, personal 9/11 or what?

Hey! Hey! Ruskies are invading Georgia! It's WWIII, maybe! Everything must stop while everybody watches me do something! No, wait, Ike is totally an awesome disaster! Maybe worse than Katrina! Everything must stop while everybody watches me do something!

Wait a minute, if everybody doesn't stop and watch me do something about the economy, we could be in a depression by Monday!

Isn't it amazing that after many a year of just sort of affably hanging out, his presidential run finds John McCain confronted by a succession of super important crises that he totally is up for tackling? Maybe there's a hostage crisis somewhere so he can demand we all stop what we're doing and give him our undivided attention while he sneaks in the back and single-handedly karate chops the bad guys into submission.
post #38 of 169
I'm seriously starting to wonder if he didn't take a long look at The Meltdown and say to himself, "Screw it - I don't want to take over this mess for the next 4 years".
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #39 of 169
Letterman says McCain cancelled tonight.

Posits someone put something in his Metamucil.
post #40 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Letterman says McCain cancelled tonight.

Posits someone put something in his Metamucil.

Man, I just watched that clip. Letterman just totally reams the guy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › McCain campaign ON HOLD!