or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › If McCain Wins Will You Leave the Country?

If McCain Wins Will You Leave the Country? - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Obviously I am not an American, and there are aspects of America that I admire but not the extreme and mostly ill informed jingoistic patriotism that mostly goes into denigrating or abusing other countries and cultures. Particularly when it is clueless and based on a far too typical and blatant "never been there, don't care" wilful ignorance.

I'm Australian and yes Australia, small as it is, has done a great deal for many, many other countries including your own, which you probably wouldn't even know about. For a start we gave you the only part of your democracy that probably actually works, the Secret Ballot. If you'd only listen perhaps you might get more.

We are not the most generous aid giver, that title goes to many of the European countries, although we do our best, which is considerably more generous than the Queen of Mean, which is the USA. Typically this is part of the lies that Americans feed themselves, that as a nation they are generous and caring.

Even when America does give aid (when it isn't military) it is tailored to the needs of itself and not the recipients. For years you dumped your surplus maize on 3rd world countries, whether that was good or not, now you don't even bother with that sham as you pour it into your cars' fuel tanks.

We would love to love you and find the friend we used to know, but America has taken selfishness, meanness, and sheer bloody minded obsession with the idea that you are the only ones that count to astronomic heights.

If you find yourselves unloved, try not to perpetually claim the credit for everything and anything, get informed about more than your idle local gossip and contribute instead of just take.

The reason the world is far more excited by the prospect of Obama as President is that he is more worldly as well as intelligent and informed. We see it as a dawn of a new America that we can once again admire and support whole heartedly.

We are not deluded that he won't be an American President working in America's interests, however his respect for others will earn him respect right back.

You always talk like you speak for the whole world when really all you can offer is one persons opinion. And you always talk like all of us Americans are guilty of everything you accuse us of. That is insulting to a lot of people on this board. If we are all rude,selfish,hateful people, you are the kind of people that make us that way. I guess all Australians are judgmental, and egotistical.

I respect your opinion but thats what it is. I wont be trashing your country although it's not perfect either. But I like Australia. And your military people thought Iraq was enough of a threat to send in troops for which I am grateful. At least some of your people have enough of a spine to help others ruled by a murdering dictator even if it would cost their life.
post #82 of 92
Leave the US? "Cut and run"?

No chance. We have to fight the enemy from here, because we sure as hell can't do much from overseas.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertopod View Post

You always talk like you speak for the whole world when really all you can offer is one persons opinion. And you always talk like all of us Americans are guilty of everything you accuse us of. That is insulting to a lot of people on this board. If we are all rude,selfish,hateful people, you are the kind of people that make us that way. I guess all Australians are judgmental, and egotistical.

As is obvious from the range of opinions here, not all Americans are either "guilty of" or think the same. There are a significant number though who do, otherwise you would not have the government you do nor would still be making excuses for it.

One thing I do note is an unquestioned acceptance of some of the things I have raised, because you are told them over and over again. The fervent hand on heart nationalism in particular smacks of something very close to fascism to those outside the USA.

Quote:
I respect your opinion but thats what it is. I wont be trashing your country although it's not perfect either. But I like Australia. And your military people thought Iraq was enough of a threat to send in troops for which I am grateful. At least some of your people have enough of a spine to help others ruled by a murdering dictator even if it would cost their life.

No Australia is not perfect and you won't find me or many Australians making the claim that it is the greatest country in the world, even though we are proud to be Australians. 25% of Australians are born overseas and most travel widely so we get to compare, something we recommend to Americans.

The vast majority of Australians were against the war in Iraq for the very obvious reason that Bush lied about why he invaded and repeatedly couldn't even get the story straight. I don't know which part of the story you choose to remember, or why.

Our Prime Minister also lied to us, which was obvious to us if not most Americans, and our military went as instructed but privately expressed the same opinion as the general population. It was a cynical play by our PM to be a Bush buddy, and he ultimately paid for it by being only the 2nd PM to lose his seat at an election and having his party thrown out of office in a landslide.

I don't miss Saddam and wouldn't miss any of the many evil dictators in the world, but it was a very large number of Iraqis who paid the price to get rid of him, very few foreigners. That exercise in stupidity has damaged Iraq, and the Western World's reputation and economies. It has also put Afghanistan back on the path to failure.

We shall see, but unfortunately it is very likely the whole adventure will have been very damaging and ultimately produce no good results.

It is a shame that it has taken events to get so bad before the US public is moved to do something about it at the polls. Yet going on what is said here and elsewhere, there still is a failure to understand the underlying reasons for the state that America has got itself into, dragging the world with it. I also see a tiny minded and vindictive Republican mindset that will continue to white ant American democracy, particularly as it is likely to be under a liberal and non-white Presidency.
post #84 of 92
Ok it seems McCane wont win so I won't need to leave the country.
post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Now I can rest easy knowing that.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #86 of 92
Quote:

Of course, everyone believed you would leave if McCain DID win...
(Personally, I'd STILL like to hear the reasoning behind that... now that you're back in the thread.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #87 of 92
You guys are fucking losers and idiots. You sound like the Hollywood Elite when they said they would leave the country when Bush was elected. They're still here. I guess it's too much of a pain in the ass to buy all new plugs for your electronics to live in overseas.
Follow me on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter.
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Of course, everyone believed you would leave if McCain DID win...
(Personally, I'd STILL like to hear the reasoning behind that... now that you're back in the thread.)

I was hoping that McCane supporters would leave the country so the quality of living in the USA would go up.
post #89 of 92
Quote:

I was hoping that McCane supporters would leave the country so the quality of living in the USA would go up.

Who else would want them?
post #90 of 92
You guys are assholes... without differing points of views, we would be a dictatorship. At least we can spell McCain.
post #91 of 92
All I wanted was to hear the reasons WHY Tauron was considering LEAVING (if McCain had won.) ... I never questioned his politics, just wanted to know if he actually had any reason for making the statement other than to be inflamatory.
Still waiting to hear those reasons...
post #92 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertopod View Post

What summarises America succinctly - look at the campaign rallies in America - its almost as scary as the Nuremberg rallies. Think that is bad, couple it with the blind patriotism which Americans seem to hold onto, and the flat out refusal to learn about other countries let alone travel outside the US.

I suggest you travel around the world a little - give Australia and New Zealand a first visit. In New Zealand you can see how a functioning democracy operates; where the fringes of society are given a voice without fear of political retribution, where anti-war protesters are protected by the police, where social reform like civil unions are passed and only 0.7% of the population actually turn it into an issue.

In Aussie you can see a culture which is laid back, open, friendly and actually genuine in their hospitality versus the saccharine crap which visitors are subjected to when they go to the US - you don't need to bounce around all happy - its artificial and irritating. Here is a perfect example of the type of crap I was subjected to when I went to the US:

http://www.fridays.com/home/welcome.aspx

Yes, it is actually that bad in the US.

Maybe if US citizens travelled outside of the United State as part of their process of growing up, then maybe we wouldn't see idiot are idiot after idiot being voted in.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › If McCain Wins Will You Leave the Country?