or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?

VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?

Poll Results: Will Palin Be Coherent/Answer the Question in the VP Debate?

• 20% (4)
    somewhat coherent
  • 45% (9)
    she will not answer a single direct question
  • 5% (1)
    she will sound like she smoked crack
  • 30% (6)
    complete gibberish
20 Total Votes  
post #1 of 151
discuss.
post #2 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

discuss.

As long as she gives a coherent non answer instead of trying to actually answer the question, she'll be fine.
post #3 of 151
Beer!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #4 of 151
I just remembered I only have a half a bottle of wine for tonight. Maybe 2/3 bottle.
post #5 of 151
Of course she'll be coherent.

Firstly, she's not a terrible debater.

Secondly, she'll have a radio in the small of her back and an earpiece, I imagine concealed by her hair.
post #6 of 151
I won't be able to sit and watch for 90 minutes.
I think I'll rent Runaway Train and catch the high/low lights.

post #7 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Beer!

Excellent idea.

I propose a drinking game.
post #8 of 151
(Sorry... this election's turning me into sammi jo. I'm losing my shit.)

(But it wouldn't surprise me if she was.)
post #9 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I just remembered I only have a half a bottle of wine for tonight. Maybe 2/3 bottle.

Oh you'll need a lot more than that to get through tonight. Republicans will need to be totally shit-faced before the first question gets asked.
post #10 of 151
It's this kind of stuff that always damages Democrats. Of course she'll be coherent. She's not going to walk into the debate and fall on the floor speaking gibberish. She'll do extremely well. She'll answer a lot of questions evasively, she'll give a few bad/dumb answers, and she'll have a few good one-liners. But she's an experienced politician, she's very charismatic, she's been in lots of debates and given lots of speeches.
post #11 of 151
Are people watching tonight? I might just play some late-night tennis and catch the highlights on youtube.
post #12 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Are people watching tonight? I might just play some late-night tennis and catch the highlights on youtube.

Can't find anyone in the flesh to drink with?
post #13 of 151
I may just have to predicate tonight's viewing with smoking a very large spliff so I can giggle through the whole show.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #14 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I may just have to predicate tonight's viewing with smoking a very large spliff so I can giggle through the whole show.

Spliff?
WTF is a spliff?
post #15 of 151
hehe
It's like an Arnold Palmer but it's 50/50 weed/tobacco rolled joint.
post #16 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

hehe
It's like an Arnold Palmer but it's 50/50 weed/tobacco rolled joint.

Yeah, I remember those, usually when we were running low.

Back in the days when I partook, weed wasn't anywhere near as strong as now, I understand from those that still partake.

Gave it up because I lost to many friends, got violent.
Shudder to think what the more potent stuff would do.
post #17 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Spliff?
WTF is a spliff?

Joint, hooter, blunt...
post #18 of 151
Quote:

Yeah, I remember those, usually when we were running low.

Back in the days when I partook, weed wasn't anywhere near as strong as now, I understand from those that still partake.

Gave it up because I lost to many friends, got violent.
Shudder to think what the more potent stuff would do.

Weed made you violent? Wow. That's unfortunate. Today's stuff is definitely more potent and powerful. I just inhale less.
post #19 of 151
Quote:

Weed made you violent? Wow. That's unfortunate. Today's stuff is definitely more potent and powerful. I just inhale less.

Unfortunate? yeah, maybe, but I like beer and it makes me mellow, mostly.

Wouldn't have been much of an issue if I was a violent pussie, but I wasn't.

So, is a spliff what Outsider said or what, just so's I'll know in case someone decides I'm a moron for not knowing and things escalate.
post #20 of 151
Quote:

Can't find anyone in the flesh to drink with?

Drinking is 11-2 on Thursdays.

After tennis.
post #21 of 151
Quote:

Drinking is 11-2 on Thursdays.

After tennis.

Post # 7
Quote:
I propose a drinking game.

I believe the game will be mostly over.
post #22 of 151
Northgate
Quote:

So, is a spliff what Outsider said or what, just so's I'll know in case someone decides I'm a moron for not knowing and things escalate.

C'mon, is it a west coast thing?, Us saying? What?
I've never heard that term before, so what is it, half tobacco half weed, or what.

It couldn't have been the term pussie could it?

That was meant as an adjective describing a weakling getting violent and no one worrying about it because, well, what could he/she do that a smacking upside the head wouldn't fix.
post #23 of 151
Quickly now, before things kick-off:

Run on over here, and check out the Wilhelm scream theory of Republican debate-bots.

The idea is that once you become conscious of the Gingrich GOPAC system, you start seeing it everywhere (like the now semi-famous sound effect scream used so extensively).

Palin will answer some questions by repeating the words in the question in different order, answer some by spraying buzzwords in no particular order, ignore some and tell stories that "connect" to "average voters" and use a few stock phrases ("Well, Gwen, I think the American people....") to segue from others into some set speeches.

She will do it more awkwardly, and more obviously, than more seasoned pros, because it's unusual for someone with so little experience at it to be thrust onto the national stage. As the linked article points out, usually Republican politicians do what Palin is doing now at the local level, where it doesn't get much scrutiny. By the time they're on national TV, it's seamless and all but invisible.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #24 of 151
Look into the camera and start, My Friends....
post #25 of 151
I'm Tivo delayed but she's doin' okay so far.
post #26 of 151
Quote:

I'm Tivo delayed but she's doin' okay so far.

Yeah. Which means John McCain loses, as opposed to merely losing.
post #27 of 151
She's starting to stumble. Even in energy... She is doing ok in general though.

Not really connecting the way she thinks she should...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #28 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's this kind of stuff that always damages Democrats. Of course she'll be coherent. She's not going to walk into the debate and fall on the floor speaking gibberish. She'll do extremely well. She'll answer a lot of questions evasively, she'll give a few bad/dumb answers, and she'll have a few good one-liners. But she's an experienced politician, she's very charismatic, she's been in lots of debates and given lots of speeches.

She's not doing as badly as I thought she would, but it sounds like she's reading right off of the Republican party mission and vision statement.

I also noticed that her accent gets stronger when she's trying hard to present herself as 'one of the gosh-darned regular people'.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #29 of 151
"Um..... um..... barack obama's plan is a white flag of surrender!"

Palin FTW.

...not.

post #30 of 151
"nuke-u-lar!"

yes!
post #31 of 151
Has Palin answered a question yet?
post #32 of 151
She keeps knocking it out of the park. Hope runs.
post #33 of 151
Scare those Jews Sarah!
post #34 of 151
Palin: I said "Thanks, but no thanks," to that second holocaust.
post #35 of 151
Quote:

She keeps knocking it out of the park. Hope runs.

Her answers are for the most part conservative boilerplate.

"Out of the park!"

post #36 of 151
I hear her speaking a lot of words. But is she actually saying anything. She sure has the snark down though.
post #37 of 151
She's thinking on her feet, good for her.

I mean she's talking about divestment of Sudan funds...

I guess that is on her feet.
post #38 of 151
Quote:

I hear her speaking a lot of words. But is she actually saying anything. She sure has the snark down though.

She's floating above water, basically.

So in other words "losing" since she's not changing the dynamics of the race at all.
post #39 of 151
Answer the goddamn question.
post #40 of 151
Quote:

Her answers are for the most part conservative boilerplate.

"Out of the park!"

Like Obama/Biden aren't
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?