or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?

VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent? - Page 2

Poll Results: Will Palin Be Coherent/Answer the Question in the VP Debate?

• 20% (4)
    somewhat coherent
  • 45% (9)
    she will not answer a single direct question
  • 5% (1)
    she will sound like she smoked crack
  • 30% (6)
    complete gibberish
20 Total Votes  
post #41 of 151
Do all people from Alaska sound like they're from the movie Fargo?
post #42 of 151
Does anyone else notice that she keeps calling Biden, OBiden?

And screener, a spliff
post #43 of 151
I think Joe likes her. If they weren't married they might go have a drink tonight.
post #44 of 151
Did Biden almost start crying?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #45 of 151
Palin's performance has been a bit smoother than I expected, but she still sounds like she's reciting a bunch of recently memorized talking points, with an emphasis on largely distortion-based attacks. Biden's certainly relying on talking points too, but he's showing more depth and breadth of information than Palin, and a few cheap shots here and there.

I find Palin's little bits of folksiness grating, but there's probably an audience out there that eats that stuff up.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #46 of 151
what is she talking about?
post #47 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I think Joe likes her. If they weren't married they might go have a drink tonight.

He can do better.
post #48 of 151
whoa.
post #49 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

He can do better.

Palin is a cougar.
post #50 of 151
butterface.
post #51 of 151
She seems very scripted.

Why is she only looking at the camera.

She is happy to finally meet and debate with Biden, but she hasn't looked at him in a long time.
The filter of the main-stream media!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #52 of 151
Oh, gosh. Darn it. Shucks, I was just joshin'.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #53 of 151
She did good.
He did good.

Wish the movie I wanted was available in the crappy corner store.
post #54 of 151
Well, surprise surprise, Tom Brokaw is showering Sarah Palin with praise. Shock.

Tankity tank tank.
post #55 of 151
They both actually did OK.
post #56 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Does anyone else notice that she keeps calling Biden, OBiden?

And screener, a spliff

Quote:
This morning i woke up and my spliff was nowhere to be found. so you already kno my day was fucced up.
post #57 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Well, surprise surprise, Tom Brokaw is showering Sarah Palin with praise. Shock.

Tankity tank tank.

I know. We all knew she would be praised for not being a total failure. It's like getting presents for Cs on your report card.
post #58 of 151
Biden did better for sure but as we all agreed this was Palin's to blunder. She didn't.
post #59 of 151
Quote:

Biden did better for sure but as we all agreed this was Palin's to blunder. She didn't.

Agreed.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #60 of 151
I think she did fine insofar as she wasn't the disaster that she has been with Couric. At least, I thought that until about the 1:00 mark, and then she seemed to sound coherent but was really just tossing up a bunch of talking point gibberish and pivoting back to safe ground. When the transcript comes out, I'll hunt down what I'm talking about.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #61 of 151
The interesting thing will be if she now goes out for another TV interview: will she flub like she did with Couric? If she does, it's game over.

post #62 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I think she did fine insofar as she wasn't the disaster that she has been with Couric. At least, I thought that until about the 1:00 mark, and then she seemed to sound coherent but was really just tossing up a bunch of talking point gibberish and pivoting back to safe ground. When the transcript comes out, I'll hunt down what I'm talking about.

I know what you're talking about. She pivots back to safe ground. A common technique is to get a quick answer out and then use the rest of the time to answer the question that they wanted to be asked.
post #63 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Tankity tank tank.

What a douchebag.
post #64 of 151
Quote:

Egad, I don't want to even try to decipher the transcript of her responses. Her performance was just a mishmash of smiles and winks and random words thrown out there, dontchaknow. I kept thinking: Wernicke's aphasia.
post #65 of 151
Quote:

I know what you're talking about. She pivots back to safe ground. A common technique is to get a quick answer out and then use the rest of the time to answer the question that they wanted to be asked.

Right. I guess what I was detecting was the roughness of the transition. It makes sense, I suppose. Biden and McCain do that in their sleep. Obama seems to have been born with an ability to do it. She just doesn't have the professional political experience at it that McCain and Biden do, and so it seems a little more jarring than it would, otherwise.

I say again, she did a very good job of sounding coherent. I don't think she actually was half the time, but if you were just kind of halfway paying attention, she sounded fine.

Until that bit about being proud of being an American, which just came out of nowhere.

Did anyone else watch on CNN? They had dials from undecided OH voters as a chyron. Palin seemed pretty flat throughout and the women seemed to really, really like Biden.
post #66 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Egad, I don't want to even try to decipher the transcript of her responses. Her performance was just a mishmash of smiles and winks and random words thrown out there, dontchaknow. I kept thinking: Wernicke's aphasia.

Oh heck, BRussell, she just was gonna, ya know, straight talk and, um, maverick, and I'm very proud to be an American. Up there.
post #67 of 151
Quote:

She fairly obviously was just talking straight out of her ass on the question about what branch of government the vice president belongs to under the constitution, and Biden hammered that pretty hard.

Plus, the constant hammering of the "we're mavericks" thing. Did they focus-group this or something and decided it was a good idea? The constant hammering away on that phrase is, IMO, extremely grating, and I think it comes off as highly superficial.

I also thought Biden did a nice job of turning that one around too.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #68 of 151
Take a break you'all, switch to the Daily Show and watch Stewart tear Clint Eastwood a new one.
post #69 of 151
Here's what I'm talking about. The question is something like "What's the trigger to use nukes?"

link
post #70 of 151
I think she did fine. I thought she would do fine.

She didn't win and I think that that is important. The standard for Palin cannot be language competency (since as midwinter pointed out, she didn't really show). Importantly, none of the claims she made about Obama stuck. Biden was however quite astutely able to tie the McCain proposals to Bush from top down -- even going so far as to tie Palin's ideologies about the vice presidency to Cheney (brilliant on the heels thinking).

He didn't come off as a jerk. He made virtually no verbal gaffes. The fact checking I have seen so far shows she stretched the truth far more than he did.

Finally, Joe was more warm despite his diving into details than she was with all of her linguistic peculiarities. His one point of choking up about his son in the hospital was worth ten times the amount that her i understand mainstreet...

Still, I suspect this will do nothing to change the momentum of this race. Something a win for Palin would have done.
post #71 of 151
My favorite part was when she was describing the two campaigns, I thought she offered up Obama's campaign and a caricature of Obama's campaign as the choice.

It was really striking that her description of McCain's campaign is categorically identical in every way to Obama's.
post #72 of 151
Quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...ipt/index.html
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #73 of 151
She doesn't have the credibility needed to justify her lecturing and accusatory style.

I thought it was hilarious that she flat-out admitted she wasn't going to answer the questions.

She hit the talking points like an angry robot. This is an extremely hot-headed ticket.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #74 of 151
Judging by my own personal criteria for what *I* want to hear in a debate from the debaters, and not judging by how my (not very kind) mental model of a "typical American" tells me viewers would react, Biden was WAY ahead of Palin.

I was ready to give Palin more points, however, based on my guess of how (as Palin put it) "Joe Sixpack" would react, and how I guessed the TV pundits would react, whose analyses generally amplifies the stupid games of political rhetoric rather than trying to raise the level of discourse.

Surprisingly it seems that CNN, ABC, and CBS are all giving Biden the nod as the winner. Most of the (yes, terribly unscientific) online polls I've seen have Biden as the winner by a comfortable margin.

Perhaps there's hope that more people are seeing through Palin's heavily-scripted, disingenuous, faux-folksy crap than I'd given the masses and the pundits credit for.
post #75 of 151
I predicted she would win and I am very glad I was wrong. Palin reminded me of one of those dolls that talk. You pull the string and off it/she goes. Yadda yadda machine gun speed.

Who the f**k is the McClellan she kept referring to as being the commander in Afghanistan? Nice.

Joe Biden surprised me tonight. Very good debate for him tonight. Very pleasantly surprised.
post #76 of 151
One thing we're not talking about: I think Biden outperformed expectations.

There was so much talk of what a mine-field the whole thing was going to be-- that he couldn't afford to be aggressive, that he would come off as bullying or patronizing, that he would commit some heinous "gaffe" (I'm coming to hate that word).

But it was a steady, confident performance. A little wonkish, at times, but also at times rising to real eloquence. I, for one, was pleasantly surprised, since I've found Biden to be a bit smug, in the past.

A lot of people will be talking about his response to "not understanding what it is to raise a family", but he had great responses to idea that McCain is any kind of "maverick" and Cheney's theories of the vice-presidency. He steered clear of confronting Palin directly and hammered away at McCain. He seemed composed, humble, statesmanlike, and in charge of the facts.

Snap-polls bear this out-- folks are giving similar numbers to the presidential debate, choosing Biden as the winner, finding Biden more qualified, even perceiving Biden as being "more in touch" with regular people (!)

Palin didn't burst into flame or tears, but a lot of her answers were pretty obviously robotic talking points, not delivered all that well. At times she drifted into gibberish territory.

And it turns out the folksy thing gets grating after awhile-- probably because that, too, comes off as contrived.

At best, this might slow or stop McCain's slide in the polls-- or, it could be the catalyst for some fence sitters to make up their minds, concluding that Palin isn't as bad as she's been made out to be, but that she ain't that great, either.

That seems like a real possibility, come to think of it. That there was maybe a sense that "the real Sarah" was going to blow us all away. Instead, we got a slightly more polished version of the one we know-- and that may be the final straw, for some folks.

EDIT: OK, so Glisch was talking about Biden doing good, seconds before I posted this.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #77 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Judging by my own personal criteria for what *I* want to hear in a debate from the debaters, and not judging by how my (not very kind) mental model of a "typical American" tells me viewers would react, Biden was WAY ahead of Palin.

I was ready to give Palin more points, however, based on my guess of how (as Palin put it) "Joe Sixpack" would react, and how I guessed the TV pundits would react, whose analyses generally amplifies the stupid games of political rhetoric rather than trying to raise the level of discourse.

Surprisingly it seems that CNN, ABC, and CBS are all giving Biden the nod as the winner. Most of the (yes, terribly unscientific) online polls I've seen have Biden as the winner by a comfortable margin.

Perhaps there's hope that more people are seeing through Palin's heavily-scripted, disingenuous, faux-folksy crap than I'd given the masses and the pundits credit for.

Biden came across as a good grandfatherly figure. People may know hockey moms, but they love warm grandfathers more. Simple as that.

It didn't hurt that he could speak in coherent disciplined sentences and she could not.

At no point do I remember him attacking her. But I remember her tossing his words into his face. This was key. Every hard lob she made, he would simply criticize the top of the ticket. It was like a slow dance. Joe clearly likes Sarah, Sarah has no emotions.
post #78 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Them insta-polls are a godsend. Left to their own devices, TV pundits resort to their puerile criteria for "winning", and do their usual grotesque channelling of "normal people."

When the response of normal people is being registered right under their heads, it makes it much harder for them to start to drone on about how "people really like Palin" or "Biden seems too cool."
post #79 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Biden came across as a good grandfatherly figure. People may know hockey moms, but they love warm grandfathers more. Simple as that.

It didn't hurt that he could speak in coherent disciplined sentences and she could not.

At no point do I remember him attacking her. But I remember her tossing his words into his face. This was key. Every hard lob she made, he would simply criticize the top of the ticket. It was like a slow dance. Joe clearly likes Sarah, Sarah has no emotions.

Is it funny that all three of us started talking about how awesome he did at about the same time?
post #80 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Is it funny that all three of us started talking about how awesome he did at about the same time?

Yeah, it's like the whole thing was supposed to be about Palin, so it took a little while to realize, "Hey! Joe did us proud!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?