or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?

VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent? - Page 3

Poll Results: Will Palin Be Coherent/Answer the Question in the VP Debate?

• 20% (4)
    somewhat coherent
  • 45% (9)
    she will not answer a single direct question
  • 5% (1)
    she will sound like she smoked crack
  • 30% (6)
    complete gibberish
20 Total Votes  
post #81 of 151
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palin

Now, Barack Obama, of course, he's pretty much only voted along his party lines. In fact, 96 percent of his votes have been solely along party line, not having that proof for the American people to know that his commitment, too, is, you know, put the partisanship, put the special interests aside, and get down to getting business done for the people of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palin

An increased tax formula that Barack Obama is proposing in addition to nearly a trillion dollars in new spending that he's proposing is the backwards way of trying to grow our economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palin

It's a nonsensical position that we are in when we have domestic supplies of energy all over this great land. And East Coast politicians who don't allow energy-producing states like Alaska to produce these, to tap into them, and instead we're relying on foreign countries to produce for us.

This one's awesome:

Quote:
IFILL: You both have sons who are in Iraq or on their way to Iraq. You, Gov. Palin, have said that you would like to see a real clear plan for an exit strategy. What should that be, Governor?

PALIN: I am very thankful that we do have a good plan and the surge and the counterinsurgency strategy in Iraq that has proven to work, I am thankful that that is part of the plan implemented under a great American hero, Gen. Petraeus, and pushed hard by another great American, Sen. John McCain.

I know that the other ticket opposed this surge, in fact, even opposed funding for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Barack Obama voted against funding troops there after promising that he would not do so.

PALIN: And Sen. Biden, I respected you when you called him out on that. You said that his vote was political and you said it would cost lives. And Barack Obama at first said he would not do that. He turned around under political pressure and he voted against funding the troops. We do have a plan for withdrawal. We don't need early withdrawal out of Iraq. We cannot afford to lose there or we're going to be no better off in the war in Afghanistan either. We have got to win in Iraq.

And with the surge that has worked we're now down to pre-surge numbers in Iraq. That's where we can be. We can start putting more troops in Afghanistan as we also work with our NATO allies who are there strengthening us and we need to grow our military. We cannot afford to lose against al Qaeda and the Shia extremists who are still there, still fighting us, but we're getting closer and closer to victory. And it would be a travesty if we quit now in Iraq.

Quote:
PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

Quote:
I want to assure you that John McCain and I, we're going to fight for America. We're going to fight for the middle-class, average, everyday American family like mine.

I've been there. I know what the hurts are. I know what the challenges are. And, thank God, I know what the joys are, too, of living in America. We are so blessed. And I've always been proud to be an American. And so has John McCain.

I love that last one.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #82 of 151
You know, I just realized what really grates about Palin. It's not exactly that she can be so incoherent, although that's wearisome, of course.

It's that she's so fucking perky and confident about being incoherent. She just launches into a sentence, clearly with no idea where she's going or what she's talking about, but, man, she doesn't slow down for an instant or appear ruminative or in any way thoughtful, does she?

She's like one of those motormouth morons for whom talking is a substitute for an inner life, or sense, or the faintest hint of contemplation.

It's like she's saying "Oh, hey, this thought process crap is so overrated, y'know, I don't know why they make such a big deal out of it, I can talk my way through pretty much anything and it's not that hard, thank you very much Mr. Egghead, you know, and also I think it's important to remember that Joe Sixpack maybe didn't get to go to college so maybe you think he doesn't have anything to say well surprise he does and he should say it because that's what makes America great that anybody can say what they want and some east coast professor doesn't get to say "hey, pipe down over there."

She's too stupid to realize she's stupid, and thinks the fact that she can work her jaw makes her an orator. Because she has no idea what gracious, elegant speech sounds like, and probably doesn't believe it matters.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #83 of 151
So here's what I learned.

The McCain camp said they were going to let Palin be Palin. That her usual, normal, "real", behavior is what people like.

Well. I learned that Sarah Palin is a shallow, opportunistic, condescending, teeth-sucking, guttersnipe who wants her vice-presidential powers to be expanded if elected. And that doesn't include what I've learned about her bigotry, anti-choice and tendencies towards abuse of power.

Somewhere, hidden inside the country, Wiccan's tremble in fear.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #84 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I love that last one.

I just read a response in Slate that suggests that Palin is a George Saunders character. You know, fractured corporate uplift syntax mixed with this sort of alarming feral edge.

I think that nails it. He wrote a parody of her speech patterns for the New Yorker, couched as a letter from one of her supporters. It's not that different from one of his short stories.
post #85 of 151
The worst part about this whole thing, and it litterally is driving me nuts:

I listened to the debates before my wife got home then we watched them on TV

When I listened: Biden wiped the floor with her; non-stop, every question, she was proven a liar an exagerator and an empty jingoist hypist while he had experience authority and intelligence

When I watched the same debate it came accross differently . . . meaning?

She is ALL about image, nothing but.

THEN (and here is the worst part) ALL the local news could say was, "wow, Sarah Palin did better than we expected"
Not that she lost absolutely and actually made a fool of herself, which she did if you LISTENED to the content and verbal delivery, but that she did OK by not stuttering to a stand-still.

Meaning that since they focus on the fact that a complete rookie could stand up there and smile and prattle about this and that trite feel-good sound-byte without stalling, since she could remember the script then she somehow won the debate . . . and that is all that matters, the fact that the media focuses on the fact that a clearly mediocre, middle-brow, inexperienced dud of a goof could NOT vomit on herself-!!. . . this is how a catastrophe of historical proportions is made: people are surprised that the person that they actually know is no competent to the task could look good on camera . . . "golly, maybe she should be president?"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #86 of 151
Upon watching the debate "highlights" it struck me how much Palin overdid the folksy bit. Hilarious. Next thing she'll have a southern accent.
post #87 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Upon watching the debate "highlights" it struck me how much Palin overdid the folksy bit. Hilarious. Next thing she'll have a southern accent.

She even winked at us. Too cute! "Nice to meet you. Hey, can I call you Joe?"

Now the media borking will have to center on her being a McCain puppet or something and being too folksy.
post #88 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

She even winked at us. Too cute! "Nice to meet you. Hey, can I call you Joe?"

Now the media borking will have to center on her being a McCain puppet or something and being too folksy.

She said "Can I call you Joe?" so that she could safely use her "Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again" line when Biden landed some heavy blows. I think it was supposed to be 'a zinger' and capture the news the next day in lieu of real substance and thought, of which she has absolutely fuck all.
post #89 of 151
I was very happy that the moderator wasn't biased like some of the fear mongers had tried to lead many to believe in the 24 hours leading up to the debate. She was very good.

Ya'll notice the final greetings at the moderator's desk?

Palin was overly casual, I thought, for the event. If she became VP, she would have a hard time meeting foreign heads of state. Didn't she wear a short skirt when she met a Muslim last week? He got blasted in the local press... even got a fatwa. She needs to consider the occasion more; now, she looks pathetically out of place.

Then there was the hand gesture to her family, urging them to get up on stage.

Thought Biden out-did her "common man" manners big time when he walked over to her at the end of the debate, then also went over to speak with her parents, especially her father. He showed real class. She was just thinking about the cameras.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #90 of 151
They'll issue fatwas for anything these days. They're the MBS of religious politics these days.
post #91 of 151
Well here's the way the polls show :

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...oll/index.html

Quote:
Debate poll says Biden won, Palin beat expectations Story Highlights
51 percent say Democratic Sen. Joe Biden wins vice presidential debate

Republican Gov. Sarah Palin exceeds expectations, 84 percent say

Palin beats Biden on likability, 54-36

87 percent say Biden is qualified for job, 42 percent say Palin is

She might have been cute but not a knock out.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #92 of 151
The expectations were pretty low, so if she had not beaten them, then there would be tears around the country today; "what has come of our great nation?" That thought is still wide-spread, but not quite as feverish as it would have been had she flopped.

2:1 they think Biden is ready for the job; 84% means plenty of conservatives thought so, too. Sorry, Sara. Time to go home. Likeability isn't that big of a problem.

post #93 of 151
Palin mentioned McCain's suspension of his campaign as if it were a great thing. What exactly did he accomplish?

Didn't he say he would restart it until the bill had passed, but then went on and debated Obama?

There were many lines that they need to drop because they are insane.

post #94 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I hear her speaking a lot of words. But is she actually saying anything. She sure has the snark down though.

Sarah Palin was weak in so many ways. She was not nearly on the attack as I thought she would be. She kept returning to issues that she wanted to talk about and did not jump all over Biden nearly as much as I expected that she would. She was running her mouth the whole time but as Northgate correctly states above is not saying a whole lot of ANYTHING. She was like a children's toy that the parent winds up for their child. The John McCain handlers wound her up with canned talking points, diversions and sound bites and let her have a spin for all the conservatives out there to watch, listen to and be bedazzled.

bedazzled I was simply not.....

Biden:

He not only performed well, he mastered the stage. His mastery of foreign policy is what will get me to the polls this fall for the Obama - Biden ticket. I think his debating skills were some of the best I have seen from politicians in recent years. He did Barack proud last night. I truly expected the talk post debate to be all about Palin before the debate began. But,,,,

But,

Palin was nervous, timid, and relied on folksy "gosh darn it" types of comfort food phases and quite frankly she did not appear to master any subject matter be it related to economic, foreign policy, education, health care etc.

and,

Biden displayed knowledge and mastery of matters which Americans find especially important in this election cycle.

Game Over

Obama - Biden

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #95 of 151
You're voting for Obama, now?
post #96 of 151
We can't be a nation of one issue voters. Sometimes you have to put some singular issue aside and vote for the best of 2 choices.
post #97 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Palin mentioned McCain's suspension of his campaign as if it were a great thing. What exactly did he accomplish?

Plus the inconvenient fact that besides saying he was suspending he campaign, virtually nothing was suspended. All offices were open, Campaign aides and McCain were all over TV, and a handful of ads were pulled for maybe half a day.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #98 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Plus the inconvenient fact that besides saying he was suspending his campaign, virtually nothing was suspended. All offices were open, Campaign aides and McCain were all over TV, and a handful of ads were pulled for maybe half a day.
post #99 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Left to their own devices, TV pundits resort to their puerile criteria for "winning", and do their usual grotesque channelling of "normal people."

I was trying to say something similar, but you said what I was going for much better. I especially love "their usual grotesque channelling of 'normal people'" -- pure gold!
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #100 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

We can't be a nation of one issue voters. Sometimes you have to put some singular issue aside and vote for the best of 2 choices.

We're not even a nation of single-issue voters, anymore.
post #101 of 151
I think that's it for the McCain campaign. Sarah Palin rose all the way to "mediocre", and she doesn't have any more opportunities to improve on that. It was kind of the last hurdle for anyone who hadn't made up their mind, with the off chance that we would see a compelling but heretofore misunderstood figure.

No more stunts. No more drama. Just kind of a sour taste in the mouth and a sense the McCain campaign is unprofessional, erratic and negative.

All that happens now is that the attacks get much harsher, as team McCain decides it has nothing to lose. But they don't control the narrative, and massive ad buys with scary TV spots about how Obama just loves him some terrorists and is practically a mob boss just play into the idea that McCain is angry and divisive.

Current economic turmoil makes the steady-as-she-goes Obama team seem comforting instead of scary. McCain has shown himself to be a prima donna with a short fuse, and his running mate is now fully understood to be a nice lady with a folksy manner and a limited grasp of the issues, particularly compared to Biden. The end.
post #102 of 151
This was good for a few chuckles.

post #103 of 151
Quote:

You know, I just realized what really grates about Palin. It's not exactly that she can be so incoherent, although that's wearisome, of course.

It's that she's so fucking perky and confident about being incoherent. She just launches into a sentence, clearly with no idea where she's going or what she's talking about, but, man, she doesn't slow down for an instant or appear ruminative or in any way thoughtful, does she?

She's like one of those motormouth morons for whom talking is a substitute for an inner life, or sense, or the faintest hint of contemplation.

It's like she's saying "Oh, hey, this thought process crap is so overrated, y'know, I don't know why they make such a big deal out of it, I can talk my way through pretty much anything and it's not that hard, thank you very much Mr. Egghead, you know, and also I think it's important to remember that Joe Sixpack maybe didn't get to go to college so maybe you think he doesn't have anything to say well surprise he does and he should say it because that's what makes America great that anybody can say what they want and some east coast professor doesn't get to say "hey, pipe down over there."

She's too stupid to realize she's stupid, and thinks the fact that she can work her jaw makes her an orator. Because she has no idea what gracious, elegant speech sounds like, and probably doesn't believe it matters.

I couldn't have said that better myself. Exactly.
post #104 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by brussell View Post

this was good for a few chuckles.

roflmao!
post #105 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

She said "Can I call you Joe?" so that she could safely use her "Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again" line when Biden landed some heavy blows. I think it was supposed to be 'a zinger' and capture the news the next day in lieu of real substance and thought, of which she has absolutely fuck all.

Bingo. Upon second view, all the "pre-fab" bullshit easily stands out. She wouldn't answer questions and she actually fucked up a couple of times about McCain being for things he's actually against.

Not pretty. PLenty of SNL material there.
post #106 of 151
42% think she is qualified - I think that is game over for McCain, nobody will vote in an unqualified VP that has a 20% chance of becoming president in the first term.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #107 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Bingo. Upon second view, all the "pre-fab" bullshit easily stands out. She wouldn't answer questions and she actually fucked up a couple of times about McCain being for things he's actually against.

Not pretty. PLenty of SNL material there.

A clear example of a gaff on her part but not mentioned, nor really worth mentioning: saying that Main Street's mess is effecting Wall Street.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #108 of 151
Does anyone else get the impression that Palin can barely contain her eagerness to crawl right over McCain's desiccated husk to get at the presidency?

There's already been some instances of her talking about the "Palin/McCain" ticket, on the campaign trail.

Here she is responding to the news (which she apparently got from reading one of every newspaper she reads every morning, what a tight-knit ticket they're running over there) that McCain is pulling out of Michigan.

I think she thinks McCain is the drag on her campaign. I wonder if McCain is having second thoughts about inviting a barracuda into his house?
post #109 of 151
Quote:

Does anyone else get the impression that Palin can barely contain her eagerness to crawl right over McCain's desiccated husk to get at the presidency?

There's already been some instances of her talking about the "Palin/McCain" ticket, on the campaign trail.

Here she is responding to the news (which she apparently got from reading one of every newspaper she reads every morning, what a tight-knit ticket they're running over there) that McCain is pulling out of Michigan.

I think she thinks McCain is the drag on her campaign. I wonder if McCain is having second thoughts about inviting a barracuda into his house?

Totally. If you really think about it, McCain IS a drag on her campaign. Palin isn't running for VP.
Heh. Nice one Fox: "Sarah Palin the Democratic vice presidential nominee"....didn't take them very long to pull the good ol' party affiliation switcharoo they do so well.
post #110 of 151
I'm surprised he even said "Democratic nominee" instead of just "Democrat nominee". That's an improvement already even if it's intentionally misleading (their M.O. for a while now).

Remember how they'd always put a (D) next to Larry Craig's name on the chyron or lower third?
post #111 of 151
I don't have to time to hunt up a link, right at the moment, but I seem to recall reading an interview with the Republican that brought Palin into politics and groomed her.

As I recall, he basically said that once she had some power, she stabbed him in the back.

Heh. I guess I do have time, all I had to do was google "Palin mentor backstab."

Better watch your back, John.
post #112 of 151
During a discussion about the debate in my chemistry lab yesterday, the professor said that she thought the VP choices in this election were more important than McCain/Obama. Her reasoning was that McCain is so old its likely that he could die in office, while (according to her) Obama unfortunately stands good odds of an assassination attempt or two.

So that was her logic in choosing Bidden over Palin, in her words Palin would be "like a deer in the headlights" if she had to be sworn in as President.

Morbid thinking, but she does have a point I guess.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #113 of 151
Edit: double post.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #114 of 151
Quote:

I don't have to time to hunt up a link, right at the moment, but I seem to recall reading an interview with the Republican that brought Palin into politics and groomed her.

As I recall, he basically said that once she had some power, she stabbed him in the back.

Heh. I guess I do have time, all I had to do was google "Palin mentor backstab."

Yup. Like I said earlier, Guttersnipe. "Let Palin be Palin." A shallow callous beyach!
post #115 of 151
Quote:

Good find Adda. Why am I not surprised? This bitch is without a doubt running for President.
post #116 of 151
This is how Rome fell.
post #117 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This is how Rome fell.

No no no. Rome fell because it overextended itself and then -- aw fuck. We're doomed.
post #118 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This is how Rome fell.

And I'm sure Republicans will figure out a way to blame it on Democrats.
post #119 of 151
Don't laugh-- when they're not figuring him for the anti-Christ or Hitler, I've seen conservative blogs wax on about the eerie similarities between Obama and Caligula.

One that jumped out at me that I remember is "loves to watch torture."

Not a terribly reflective group, your conservative blog commentariat.
post #120 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

No no no. Rome fell because it overextended itself and then -- aw fuck. We're doomed.

Rome fell because it failed to give women enough power, so they turned to nighttime Christian rituals where they had a lot of power (and Christianity was the cancer that ate the Roman empire).

Other causes - too many slaves, disgruntled soldiers who had their land stolen while off on campaign, a horrible plague brought back by the soldiers, and the lack of tribute money coming in after they stopped expanding.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › VP Debate: Will Palin Be Coherent?