or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA allegedly showing new MacBooks to staff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NVIDIA allegedly showing new MacBooks to staff

post #1 of 131
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims that Apple's long-rumored new MacBooks are making the rounds among NVIDIA's workers as evidence of its hardware prowess, and adds that the public itself might not have to wait much longer for its own turn.

Earlier this year, AppleInsider heard from sources that claimed at least some of Apple's next Mac refreshes would feature non-reference internals which, except for the main processor, would shed much of Intel's factory-standard platform for a more unique foundation supplied by either Apple or an outside party.

A technology journalist, later cited by AppleInsider, suggested that any possible switch on Apple's part would likely be to a new NVIDIA chipset for Intel-based notebooks that would give Apple all the features of Intel's mainboards but much faster video acceleration and more advanced power management.

This weekend, TUAW is reviving the rumor and speculation by citing "various sources" who say that NVIDIA is not only involved in the making of new MacBooks but is actively showcasing models to its staff as an example of the company's technical achievements held inside.

The site also lends minor support to rumors of an expected release date by suggesting that the new portables could be released "as soon as" October 14th. Those who first broke word of a more specialized platform to AppleInsider in late July estimated that it would take at least six to eight more weeks from that time to the eventual release of the updated MacBooks, leading to an October introduction. Daring Fireball's John Gruber has also echoed these assertions by claiming to have sources who also point to October 14th as a prime candidate for the long-awaited introductions.

As is often the case in such circumstances, however, TUAW immediately hedges its bets by warning that it's entirely possible its sources are flawed and that Apple may release either a different update or else miss the 14th altogether.

No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.
post #2 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims that Apple's long-rumored new MacBooks are making the rounds among NVIDIA's workers as evidence of its hardware prowess, and adds that the public itself might not have to wait much longer for its own turn.

....

No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.

Great Post!
post #3 of 131
I think Apple should sell the 13" in 9 colors, just like the new nanos. And allow the 15" and 17" models to be configured from basic to superpower. The 13" would also be aluminum, just like the nanos, and would have a white keyboard, unlike the 15" and 17" models, with their black backlit-keyboards.

For the record; if the 15" and 17" models do not have the Air-style keyboards and magnetic latches I'll be highly disappointed!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 131
Sweet, Nvidia powered chipsets, this could me a proper dedicated GPU in future MacBooks , not like I care of considering im already running MBP, but still, a very good upgrade, I wonder how about the future MBPs?
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #5 of 131
I cannot believe that if this thing is really getting passed around why someone didn't sneak some pic's, via their iphone, & post them somewhere.. Someone is missing their 15 mins. of fame..
post #6 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I cannot believe that if this thing is really getting passed around why someone didn't sneak some pic's, via their iphone, & post them somewhere.. Someone is missing their 15 mins. of fame..

This is either untrue or an orchestrated leak.

Personally I think it's untrue, and we won't see any new MacBooks until Macworld.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Personally I think it's untrue, and we won't see any new MacBooks until Macworld.

iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.
post #8 of 131
I just hope there's a sub-$1000 MacBook in the mix. HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc are worried that Apple may move into the upper reaches of that space, and I think Apple should give them reason to worry.

Also, the economy is going in the dumpster in many different ways simultaneously right now, so having a lower-priced product out there would be smart.

Before anyone says it, no, I'm not advocating Apple get into the low-end. But something like an $799-999 MacBook would absolutely kill right now.

...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #9 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Sweet, Nvidia powered chipsets, this could me a proper dedicated GPU in future MacBooks , not like I care of considering im already running MBP, but still, a very good upgrade, I wonder how about the future MBPs?

Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.
post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For the record; if the 15" and 17" models do not have the Air-style keyboards and magnetic latches I'll be highly disappointed!

If any of the new 'Books have a two-tone black keyboard and silver finish (like the MacBook Air), I'll be highly disappointed.
It's bad enough doing away with that sweet MBP's scalloped keyboard, but mixed colour schemes look so cheap IMHO. It's like a low end car with plastic door handles and mirrors.
post #11 of 131
Yes, they have been upgraded, so we will see a small refresh which will include LED Backlit and Lit Up Keaboard. The Pros may get Blu-ray. As well as upgraded processors and HDD. (Especially needed for the Air)

I still think no huge updates until Macworld.

Thats why i confidently just got my MacBook... watch and see its just processor upgrades. Well that and I need a new computer now Not 2 weeks from now...

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #12 of 131
It sounds like the new Mac Books are really going to rock!

One thing tough people have implied that this will be a dedicated GPU but frankly I don't see that as the case. This will still be an integrated GPU just a far better performer. Honestly I wonder if the GPU will have dedicated memory.

Of course we also have to hope that the chip doesn't have any of NVIDIAs current issues.

The thing is for my usage the video platform doesn't mean much. I'm really hoping Apple leads the way in much higher capacity storage. I'd like to see both. SSD and a conventional disk. Ideally a half terabyte of data storage.

Dave
post #13 of 131
I've been waiting a long time for this, because I desparately want to replace my Sony tower PC, now eight years old, with a new Macbook.

However, if they do not come out with a new version of the OS that addresses the very real problem with the size of the system fonts, I will not buy one until they fix that.

A present, the size of the system fonts, i.e., the fonts used for everything that is not readily controllable by the individual application, is fixed by the physical resolution of the display. Unless you are willing to set the effective resolution to something other than the native resolution, which has numerous undesirable consequences, then system fonts become smaller as the physical resolution of the display becomes greater. This is a ludicrous situation, that Apple should have fixed at the time that they switched to the Unix-based operating system. Until they fix this, one consequence of choosing a higher quality display with greater quantity of pixels and finer resolution, is that system fonts become correspondingly smaller. This is ludicrous, and Apple absolutely must fix this in the next major release of the OS, which hopefully will be concurrent with the new Macbooks.
post #14 of 131
Sounds like good news.

Graphics aren't too important in a laptop, and I don't really understand people who want fantastical GFX cards in a MacBook, but something a bit more capable than the GMA would be welcome. Hopefully then by this story they will incorporate some NVIDIA chip at least.

I guess the reality is that Apple has hit the nail on the head with the MacBook; it's a fantastic laptop -- a true workhorse. And they haven't really needed to update them as they have been selling well as is; but hopefully we will get aluminium cases in this next refresh.

But other than that, my MacBook is nearly 2 years old and still runs as good, if not better, than modern laptops being released today, so with the next refresh it just looks like more of the same...only better!
post #15 of 131
You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.
post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

A present, the size of the system fonts, i.e., the fonts used for everything that is not readily controllable by the individual application, is fixed by the physical resolution of the display.

Perhaps you should try zooming. Option command 8 turns on the feature. Option command = zooms in what's on screen. Option command - zooms it back out.

Personally, my eyesight isn't so great but I have no trouble reading text on my MacBook. Resolution independence would be a nice feature though.
post #17 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.

I was under the impression that PA Semi would be focusing on the iPod/iPhone, not the macs.
post #18 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Yes, they have been upgraded, so we will see a small refresh which will include LED Backlit and Lit Up Keaboard. The Pros may get Blu-ray. As well as upgraded processors and HDD. (Especially needed for the Air)

I still think no huge updates until Macworld.

Thats why i confidently just got my MacBook... watch and see its just processor upgrades. Well that and I need a new computer now Not 2 weeks from now...

I disagree.
A new form factor is absolutely the next upgrade. Whether it happens in October or in January 09, is unknown. But it would be sales suicide to have another round of simply processor upgrades without a new design.
post #19 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.

+1
I'm highly dubious about the Nvidia rumor and believe the chipset will be a PA modded Intel. I expect new models and case designs this month with an announcement at Macworld of a Nelaham refresh in Q2 2009.
post #20 of 131
Apple, MacBook Air with Firewire. Please. No Firewire, no purchase. Thanks.
post #21 of 131
What I do hope is that nVidia starts getting their crappy graphics drivers fixed :-/
post #22 of 131
They'd be stupid to release a computer in the current economic climate, even for Apple. People are not going to shell out their money when they all think the world is coming to an end.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #23 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.

Maybe you are right that it is false, but I don't think your reasoning flies so well. nVidia has proven Intel chipset experience, PA Semi does not have any Intel chipset experience as a company. Apple only owned PA Semi for about half a year.
post #24 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They'd be stupid to release a computer in the current economic climate, even for Apple. People are not going to shell out their money when they all think the world is coming to an end.

Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.

The thing is, the development work on the new computer is most likely already done and paid for. Why not just kick it out the door rather than let that investment go unused? Apple will probably use the style for three years anyway.
post #25 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.

The thing is, the development work on the new computer is most likely already done and paid for. Why not just kick it out the door rather than let that investment go unused? Apple will probably use the style for three years anyway.

By and large, Apple's core purchasers are less concerned with prices especially if they see something drool worthy. Heck, we pay a premium as it is and if reports are true of a lower price points, Apple will do fine.
post #26 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

By and large, Apple's core purchasers are less concerned with prices especially if they see something drool worthy. Heck, we pay a premium as it is and if reports are true of a lower price points, Apple will do fine.

I agree.

Maybe Apple might only grow 20% instead of 30% next quarter, but Apple isn't anywhere near trouble yet. If a lower price boosts sales, that might negate the effect of whatever economic weakness there is.
post #27 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you are right that it is false, but I don't think your reasoning flies so well. nVidia has proven Intel chipset experience, PA Semi does not have any Intel chipset experience as a company. Apple only owned PA Semi for about half a year.

Apple may have only owned PA Semi for half a year but I had a feeling they have been working with Apple for quite some time on a secret project. Once the major break through happened on the secret project Apple purchased the company outright to lock up the technology.

That being said, I believe the PA Semi expertise is to do with SOC integration to give iTouch/iPhone unbeatable graphics and processing power while extending the standby and talk-time, not work on the mac at this time. Possibly though the PA Semi work could be in the area of ultra-power efficient GPU cores which could scale all thr way from the Macbook line down to the iPhone/iTouch platform. By using a single customized GPU in both MacBook and iPhone/iTouch the unit cost of the components could be kept to a minimum.
MacPro Dual 3GHz Quad-Core
MacBook Air
MacBook Pro 17"
iMac 24"
iPhone v1 / iTouch v1
AppleTV
Apple IIe (Go Castle Wolfenstein! - Halt! - Kommen Sie!)
Reply
MacPro Dual 3GHz Quad-Core
MacBook Air
MacBook Pro 17"
iMac 24"
iPhone v1 / iTouch v1
AppleTV
Apple IIe (Go Castle Wolfenstein! - Halt! - Kommen Sie!)
Reply
post #28 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post

...Graphics aren't too important in a laptop, and I don't really understand people who want fantastical GFX cards in a MacBook, but something a bit more capable than the GMA would be welcome..

there are a lot of photographers and filmmakers who do on location editing for things like photoshoots, news items, music festivals etc.
the portability of a laptop is very important but also the graphics card.
as it is now I can edit a movie on my macBook, but have to find a macpro to bounce to tape for exporting the video.
if there are better graphics involved, I'll be very tempted to sell the blackBook and buy a new one.

I just hope it won't be the horrible, horrible aluminium shell with a black keyboard.
I really don't like that look..
post #29 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.

That's correct, but it took more than 6 weeks to plan and design the iPod. By that time, the tooling was probably completed and manufacturing was already churning, they were to far ahead to stop.

As for the MacBooks it would be a mistake for Apple not to modify its current product line to suit the upcoming economy. Pricey MacPros are especially vulnerable to bad economies, and this won't be anymore obvious now than before, so a mid tower should be a no brainer.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #30 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That's correct, but it took more than 6 weeks to plan and design the iPod. By that time, the tooling was probably completed and manufacturing was already churning, they were to far ahead to stop.

As for the MacBooks it would be a mistake for Apple not to modify its current product line to suit the upcoming economy. Pricey MacPros are especially vulnerable to bad economies, and this won't be anymore obvious now than before, so a mid tower should be a no brainer.

Are you suggesting that it takes less time and work to develop MacBooks than iPods? Why doesn't your argument on iPods apply to MacBooks? And you're suggesting that Apple can punch out a brand new product between now and whenever this upcoming economy takes place? I am not convinced you put anymore than fleeting thought to what you wrote.
post #31 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you suggesting that it takes less time and work to develop MacBooks than iPods? Why doesn't your argument on iPods apply to MacBooks? And you're suggesting that Apple can punch out a brand new product between now and whenever this upcoming economy takes place? I am not convinced you put anymore than fleeting thought to what you wrote.

Apple has access to professional financial advisors, and unlike 9-11 the concern of a slower economy is not new and quite predictable.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #32 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.

And this is a major screw-up every time. The Higher Education buying cycle, for both faculty and staff, and incomming students, is around June and July for schools when budgets are set, and August when students get ready to get back to school. If you have a new (therefore more competitive) product like the MacBook you want to sell to students, and you release it in September or October, you've totally missed the boat. There are two big buying events for PCs/Laptops - Christmas and Back-to-School. And the latter is eariler than Apple has figured out.
_____________________________________
Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster
Reply
_____________________________________
Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster
Reply
post #33 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.

"Everything must, and always does change my friend."
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #34 of 131
Quote:
Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.

I see
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #35 of 131
Hoping the iMac gets updated also.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
post #36 of 131
I'm glad to see this rumor. The possible chipsets and chips they will be using will fully support CUDA across the lineup, which is a great grounding for OpenCL improvements in 10.6. If the Macbook gets this, then I can also see the Mini getting the same treatment and the overall lineup will start to look very appealling.

The metallic shells will help for cooling and the designs will be unified across all the models so no mish-mash between plastic and metal.
post #37 of 131
Quote:
No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.

Does anyone else think the MacBook Air is going to be updated as well? I went to the new Apple Retail Store today here in Canada @ Fairview Mall and saw the MacBook Air and fell in love. If it had 4GB RAM, a bigger HD and a Firewire 400 port, it would be my idea computer.
post #38 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm glad to see this rumor. The possible chipsets and chips they will be using will fully support CUDA across the lineup, which is a great grounding for OpenCL improvements in 10.6. If the Macbook gets this, then I can also see the Mini getting the same treatment and the overall lineup will start to look very appealling.

The metallic shells will help for cooling and the designs will be unified across all the models so no mish-mash between plastic and metal.

Apple isn't using CUDA. They are using OpenCL. Nvidia is working towards making CUDA OpenCL compliant.
post #39 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirob View Post

Apple may have only owned PA Semi for half a year but I had a feeling they have been working with Apple for quite some time on a secret project. Once the major break through happened on the secret project Apple purchased the company outright to lock up the technology.

That being said, I believe the PA Semi expertise is to do with SOC integration to give iTouch/iPhone unbeatable graphics and processing power while extending the standby and talk-time, not work on the mac at this time. Possibly though the PA Semi work could be in the area of ultra-power efficient GPU cores which could scale all thr way from the Macbook line down to the iPhone/iTouch platform. By using a single customized GPU in both MacBook and iPhone/iTouch the unit cost of the components could be kept to a minimum.

Worked together > 4 years.
post #40 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post

Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.

Gen 1 anybody? Oh boy this will be fun!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA allegedly showing new MacBooks to staff