or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course - Page 3

post #81 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

And so, what's your point?

Palm *had* more than 70% of the market. Actually, once upon a time, there was no PDA but the Palm. This didn't prevent Palm from dying from lack of innovation and being stuck in its niche concept. I don't see how the iPod is any different in the long term?

Bad analogy.
Palm did have >70% market share but... they did it with inferior technology.
Palm was not the first or only PDA at the time.
Apple introduced the Newton in 1993!
Palm was founded by an ex-Apple employee in 1996.

Palm had +70% marketshare and patented technology that was years behind the competition.
Apple has +70% marketshare and patented technology that was years ahead of the competition.

In the same way that Apple is out-innovating Windows, Apple out-innovated Palm in the PDA space.
Microsoft and Palm pushed their inferior software on customers for years, but that formula won't work forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

As for car, that's also a bad example. There used to be a time when the automobile giants in the USA were really that, giants. Nowadays, they're just leftovers from the past century. And the car concept is dying slowly itself. As more and more people live in cities, where cars are just useless, and as they become more and more expansive to maintain and park, they will slowly fade into oblivion. Just as the horse-drawn carriage or the steam engine.

The car is a horse-drawn carriage with a different engine(both measured in horsepower).

carriage = calculator
car = computer
bus = mainframe
hybrid = laptop
mass transit = iphone

transportation is evolving and so is the computer.
A 4-function calculator and an iPhone are both computers.
The bullet train is an evolution of the horse-drawn carriage.

The iPod/iPhone will continue to evolve into whatever you need it to be.
The need for computers isn't going away.
The need for a handheld devices to interface with computers isn't going away any time soon.
Until we can just think to control computers accurately we will carry a device and the brand name will be "iPod".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

This is the very nature of technology to become obsolete. And it goes much farther than a concept merely evolving through the ages. For instance, even if we still call it "computer", there is so little in common between the ENIAC and a laptop that it isn't even the same concept. Same with the "phone" - nowadays, phones are barely used to phone other people.
If in 50 years we are still surfing the web, no matter on what "cool" device, if we are still listening to music on a zPod or whatever and if we're still talking about computers and mobile phone, no matter how evolved, it will be a sad day for humanity. Because it will mean we have gotten stuck into the tools and evolving them rather than coming up with new concepts.

So, it is without doubt that the iPod line will become obsolete - pretty soon actually, to be replaced by the iPhone and the Touch.

There is no Apple product called the Touch... it is an iPod Touch
This is my point exactly the iPod is not a MP3 player stuck in 2001.
It is a brand!
iPod Touch is an iPod.
In five years we may have large tablet iPods and desk sized iPods.
The point is they are iPods.
iPods will become whatever Apple wants it to become.
The brand is not going away anytime soon even though the form factor and the function will change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

Because the concept of carrying music around on a limited capacity device is becoming obsolete. Why limit yourself to a tiny 120Gb when there is Tb of content to experiment?
But in the long run, even the iPhone will fade away, as a concept. Even if it manages to grab 100% market shares - it will only go faster then.

I don't get your point. What does it matter as long as Apple continues to innovate and stay years ahead of the competition. As long as people want them, they will still by iPods and iPhones
post #82 of 146
1) I pity his child.

2) How many people still care what Woz has to say?

3) iPod will not die until it is replaced. The only product actively replacing it is being produced by Apple, so I'm not sure any point relative to this is even worth bothering with. Music products are evolving and Apple is leading the charge.

4) He underestimates Jobs' godlike future powers.

5) I pity his child.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #83 of 146
Woz wears this on his wrist.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #84 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The Nova never had >70% market share and patented technology significantly more advanced than its competitors.

Palm is dying. true and self-evident..
Symbian is dying. moderately true.
Windows Mobile is going nowhere quickly. true in that statement, false in scope
Linux is going nowhere slowly. false on countless fronts.

Linux and OS X are the platforms that Windows will mimick, moving forward. OpenSolaris and the rest of the BSDs will all see innovations that the 3 consumer desktops will absorb and choose to leverage in various ways, from the desktop to the enterprise.
post #85 of 146
As much as I respect Woz for who he Was! I think it's clear why he's retired from the daily grind at Apple. Yes the iPod is mature, but it can and will evolve into what ever the market requires. It's certainly not a 'fad'. How many fads last almost a decade? I have 3 iPods and 2 iPhones between myself and my better half and I'm still tempted by the new Nano. I've had several in the past which I pass on to friends and family as I upgrade and I'll continue to do so.

As for Wozniak's comment about Jobs not knowing what Apple are working on next I think that's a bit harsh. Sour grapes?
post #86 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What bridges, specifically?

Why do you think Jobs declined to write the forward to Woz's last book?
He is still technically an Apple employee and yet he criticizes it's management regularly in the press.
post #87 of 146
Woz is at heart, a geek to the core. Which is why he's an Android type of guy. Mainstream folks don't need to tinker and hence why the iPhone is a success.

With respect to the iPod dying. He's simply suggesting the slow down and saturation point. Nothing people don't already know. Nothing to get riled up about really.
post #88 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

That is definitely an established BS technique, but just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you. The fact is that the world has justifiably established a stereotype for mac users as fanatics. Mac fanatics are real, and in the decades between 1984 and now, they made up the most visible, and certainly the noisiest, segment of the user base. That perception will only change as more average, boring people start using macs in average, boring ways. Only when it is observed that people who don't really care ALSO use macs, will the stereotype die. He may be wrong on some or all of the points he was quoted on, but he was definitely right that the vitriol would flow from the fanatics. We see proof in this thread that it has.

I don't disagree that there are zealots out there.

I just disagree with the notion of preemptively trying to paint anyone who disagrees with him as a zealot.

The guy gave an opinion, and people disagree with that opinion. Nothing more.

Is it really impossible for anyone to say something positive about apple, or something negative about those who compete with or disagree with apple?

Really, there's no way an opinion that is on Apple's side can be valid, well reasoned, and unbiased? Smells like that BS technique to me.

And you seem overly paranoid saying the response here is "VITRIOL". With only a couple exceptions, the responses don't seem angry at all - when someone just says "I think he's wrong" and explains why, that's perfectly reasonable.
post #89 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

I have a slide rule AND an abacus. The abacus is on my iPod. What's your point?

I'd guess then that you have a sun dial on your iPod too?
post #90 of 146
that would rock.

C
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #91 of 146
I think the Woz was being mischievously humourous for the most part, interspersed with some serious comments.

I love the idea of the next big thing just arriving on Steve's desk without him having been aware of it being developed!
post #92 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I don't disagree that there are zealots out there.

I just disagree with the notion of preemptively trying to paint anyone who disagrees with him as a zealot.

The guy gave an opinion, and people disagree with that opinion. Nothing more.

Is it really impossible for anyone to say something positive about apple, or something negative about those who compete with or disagree with apple?

Really, there's no way an opinion that is on Apple's side can be valid, well reasoned, and unbiased? Smells like that BS technique to me.

And you seem overly paranoid saying the response here is "VITRIOL". With only a couple exceptions, the responses don't seem angry at all - when someone just says "I think he's wrong" and explains why, that's perfectly reasonable.

Perhaps vitriol was a poor choice of wording. Rude dismissal might have been a better phrase. The ad hominem attacks are what I'm thinking of. Most of those have been without any support at all. And just to keep things straight, Apple rocks.

Just because we feel justified in whatever opinion we have doesn't mean we aren't biased.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #93 of 146
Woz is eating a bunch of sour grapes, especially regarding his comments concerning a Web 2.0 meltdown.
He backed away twenty years ago and essentially rendered himself irrelevant.
post #94 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

1) I pity his child.

2) How many people still care what Woz has to say?

3) iPod will not die until it is replaced. The only product actively replacing it is being produced by Apple, so I'm not sure any point relative to this is even worth bothering with. Music products are evolving and Apple is leading the charge.

4) He underestimates Jobs' godlike future powers.

5) I pity his child.

On the contrary, I think Woz would be a great Dad. And Woz Jr. would get to love his/her silly name.

It's always worth listening to him even where he is so clearly off-beam. Woz is an incurable gadget geek with great talent (runs on the board &c.)... he's the other side - the Feature Creature side - of the Apple equation from aesthetics, design and simple-to-use functionality.

The rest of your post is self-evidently correct.
post #95 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Perhaps vitriol was a poor choice of wording. Rude dismissal might have been a better phrase. The ad hominem attacks are what I'm thinking of.

I don't agree with rude or ad hominem for the most part either. Generally the posts here have been simple disagreement with his statement, with reasons given.
post #96 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

You insulted my editor's credentials and suggested he made a poor interpretation of Woz's quotes, which "is why journalists go to school and bloggers are not journalists."

Before this you said/I said gets more unpleasant than Woz's comments, the TRUTH squad is gonna step in (I appointed myself)

ITEM #1:
It's worth noting that Wozniak actually says nothing of the sort in the article.
THE RULING: Yeah, really he did say something "of the sort," if not precisely. "Nothing of the sort is not accurate. Decision: to K.

ITEM #2:
This is why journalists go to school and bloggers are not journalists.
THE RULING: Note these statements need not be mutually exclusive. But yes, journalists go to school because that's where they're taught how to stick to the facts, to write clearly and accurately, how to attribute quotes, to distinguish fact from opinion, and so on, (sometimes) ad nauseum. Bloggers need not be journalists. Usually aren't. But the best of them can practice the same skill set. Decision: First half of statement: TRUE; second half: split decision.

ITEM #3:
K says poster said K's editor made a "poor interpretation". Poster DID argue interpretation was wrong, which could be interpreted (uh-oh!) as saying it was poorly done. THE RULING: poster's misuse of "imply" undermines his credentials for making such a judgement. Decision: True, but inocuous.

It occurs to me that the same obsessiveness that has K pursuing the defense of his editor is also an asset when applied to getting facts right. So that's a good thing.

Can we now all shake keyboards and just get along?
post #97 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Why do you think Jobs declined to write the forward to Woz's last book?

I figured a lot of it was that it discussed parts of the past that he didn't want repeated. Like when Jobs duped Woz out of his share of the profits for a program by lying about how much they were getting paid.

Quote:
He is still technically an Apple employee and yet he criticizes it's management regularly in the press.

If he's still taking money, then maybe that's not a good idea. But I just don't see that kind of tone that you suggest is there. I do see an honest difference of opinion, but nothing that I hear or read in the tone of what he says suggests that he wants to hurt Apple or its management.
post #98 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiethemacguy View Post

While I thank Steve Wozniak for helping to start Apple, I really wish he would shut up. I don't think that he says anything really useful these days.

I thought this exact thing before even reading this story. He seems to just spout random obvious things every once in a while. Who the hell is even asking for his opinion anyway? Does he have a friend of his "interview" him occasionally, then forward it to various news sites?
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
Reply
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
Reply
post #99 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is why journalists go to school and bloggers are not journalists.

Journalists of today are not journalists! I would love to see the grades of these "journalists" this school is producing?!

Especially when you hear about news like the AP reporter that took a story from a blogger on a leftist website and ran with it - mistake and all!

Most of todays journalists don't report, but rather gather what information they need that allows them to skew what they know to their advantage and apply to their agenda by "reporting" a story with the facts the journalist only wants you to know.

That is why I do not trust the main stream media of today on stories of a political and national security nature without also reviewing a similar write up from the other side to get the other half of the story that todays reporters conveniently leave out. Can anyone say New York Times?!

Let's not forget how photos have been "Photoshopped" for effect to aid a reporters story.
http://www.zombietime.com/reuters_photo_fraud/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #100 of 146
I think that Woz should address his critics and post ten creative ideas right here. But nothing we've heard before, like the old open platform comment. He wants Apple to be challenged - let's see what he's got. Isn't there a saying "put up or shut up"?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #101 of 146
I really do not follow the analogy comparing Woz to Bill Clinton. Clearly, Bill Clinton 1) had to be nice to Obama (a fellow democrat), and 2) still had to talk bad about Obama because he was trying to get his wife elected. Who knows what motivates Woz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Woz was a world class hardware engineer. And maybe that's as broad as his talents reach. He needs to stop commenting on all-things Apple as they make me cringe.

Woz is to Apple what Bill Clinton is to Obama. The good news is he's goofy enough and nice enough that we all give him a pass. We can all just chuckle about it and remind ourselves that he rides a segway.

I don't see a lot of Model Ts driving around and Ford really saturated that market good. Turns out people buy new technology. So Apple's goal is to keep innovating. I will buy thousands of computers and iPods and gadgets in my lifetime. Just for the fun of it.
post #102 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I really do not follow the analogy comparing Woz to Bill Clinton. Clearly, Bill Clinton 1) had to be nice to Obama (a fellow democrat), and 2) still had to talk bad about Obama because he was trying to get his wife elected. Who knows what motivates Woz.

More like Roger Clinton to Bill Clinton. Or Billy Carter to Jimmy Carter.
post #103 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What's stop the man from writing for the Desktop World?

I'll tell you what? He lacks the software skills for such high level develop to pull it off. He never had them and its clear ever since the days he designed computer hardware. He's not a software engineer. He was a hardware engineer.

Well, he wrote Apple Integer BASIC on paper without a working machine or assembler... counts for something...
post #104 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Well, he wrote Apple Integer BASIC on paper without a working machine or assembler... counts for something...

It's great that he could do that. But that's incredibly low level programming, completely the opposite of the high level, abstracted software coding that goes into creating apps today.
post #105 of 146
iPod can't be dead yet, they just introduced shaking! (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4CgfZUd2o)
post #106 of 146
hey, Woz is cool, like an arthritic Carebear.

The difference with the iPod compared to the 'Walkman' for example is that the walkman had no where near the change that the iPod has gone through and for this simple reason his analogy is flawed. He is very much out of touch.

Why even mention Android either? It is more a competitor to Winmo than the iPhone.

Woz is bitter and pissed that he dropped off of the Apple tree 20 years before Apple hit the big time. Poor bitter old man.
post #107 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The difference with the iPod compared to the 'Walkman' for example is that the walkman had no where near the change that the iPod has gone through and for this simple reason his analogy is flawed. He is very much out of touch.

The Sony did try to push the Walkman on the CD and then to digital PMP, but the formats were too different in the way you have to use the media and the sizes probably too extreme for a natural transition. Woz seems to be forgetting that the iPod has already made the transition from HDD to Flash. Everything else stated the same expect the device got smaller and lasted longer. And for the Mini to Nano the capacity was able to grow past a 6GB HDD.

The only thing that looks to be a threat to the standard iPod model is natural fusion with a cellphone, but I don't his comment was referring to that natural transition.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #108 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Sony did try to push the Walkman on the CD and then to digital PMP, but the formats were too different in the way you have to use the media and the sizes probably too extreme for a natural transition. Woz seems to be forgetting that the iPod has already made the transition from HDD to Flash. Everything else stated the same expect the device got smaller and lasted longer. And for the Mini to Nano the capacity was able to grow past a 6GB HDD.

The only thing that looks to be a threat to the standard iPod model is natural fusion with a cellphone, but I don't his comment was referring to that natural transition.

The iPod has not changed the format or tried to push a change of format.

The format is DIGITALLY STORED MUSIC. There has been NO change to the format.

The iPod and other digital playback devices will, at least for a long time to come, be relevant as cellphones incur additional costs and also general battery life issues compared to dedicated devices.

PLUS, Apple have made inroads to converged media / cellphone devices already. Maybe you have head of the iPhone??
post #109 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The format is DIGITALLY STORED MUSIC. There has been NO change to the format.

I'm referring to a physical URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_format"]media format[/URL], which should have been obvious to the reader since I clearly mentioned Tape, CD, HDD, and Flash. This change in PHYSICAL MEDIA FORMATS has allowed Apple to advance their platform without having to buy new music because the RECORDING FORMATS haven't changed, and if they do a simple codec addition is all that is needed. The point is that this makes the current PMPs much more future-forward than PMPs of the past.

Quote:
PLUS, Apple have made inroads to converged media / cellphone devices already. Maybe you have head of the iPhone??

I just mentioned the natural fusion of the iPod into a cellphone is the only way the iPod model will dwindle so why would you think that I am not aware of the iPhone. This is/will happen across the board as other cellphone vendors go the same route, so i specifically didn't mention the iPhone as this is an industry wide transition, not one that only Apple is privy to.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #110 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Sure, as a music player, many many people do have a flavor of iPod. But the market is wide open again for the Touch/iPhone platform. Getting a Touch in everyone's hands will send a lot more business Apple's way than music ever did.

Exactly!

Woz is a has-been. I don't mean that disrespectfully either. He's just isn't with a hip, happening, or cutting edge company to make these kinds of comments. I respect someone from Microsoft making these statements more than I do Woz. Sony or Dell even.

Tell me what consumer hot-selling product Woz has brought to the world in the last 2 decades? Name one.
post #111 of 146
The iPod will be just fine in the foreseeable future, as it moves completely to solid-state memory. However, once Apple reaches its limit on how small it can be, and once memory capacities are high enough for most users, the iPod will need to change dramatically because every consumer on the planet will already own several of them.

Apple needs to give people reason to "upgrade" their iPods every few years. People can't drive the same cars forever and eventually have to get new ones, but the way that Apple is churning out 4 new iPods every year, the market just cannot bear them all.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #112 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Exactly!

Woz is a has-been. I don't mean that disrespectfully either. He's just isn't with a hip, happening, or cutting edge company to make these kinds of comments. I respect someone from Microsoft making these statements more than I do Woz. Sony or Dell even.

Tell me what consumer hot-selling product Woz has brought to the world in the last 2 decades? Name one.

Doesn't that kind of talk really make all of us here a bunch of never-were? He was probably on an unrealistic pedastal years ago, but still, he's probably accomplished more in his life than all or most of us combined, even if the most notable of that work was three decades ago.

I'm getting the feeling that all we are doing here boils down to something akin to a "my hero is better than your hero" or "my daddy is better than your daddy" kind of argument when probably none of us really will ever live up to that standard.
post #113 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

However, once Apple reaches its limit on how small it can be, and once memory capacities are high enough for most users, the iPod will need to change dramatically because every consumer on the planet will already own several of them.

How much space is enough? I bought my first 1TB drive in 2008. Now I have 4x1TB drives, not including storage in my computers... and that is 75% full. I think we'll start to store larger files on your devices. The iPod Touch and iPhone can play DVD resolution movies with the CPU intensive H.264 video format. How long before we'll want to store and play 720p video on these handheld devices?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #114 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're all debating a guy who dates Kathy Griffin?

That ended long ago, she dumped him.
post #115 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... but still, he's probably accomplished more in his life than all or most of us combined, even if the most notable of that work was three decades ago.

Can't argue with that. I'd have thought that goes without saying though. Still, he subjects himself to this kind of scrutiny when he makes semi-provocative comments.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Based on the number of people in this thread who seem annoyed by Woz I think it's fair to say he might be a provocateur.

That's my word of the day.
post #116 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Next, Woz equates Apple with a religion that does not allow it's followers to challenge it. This is why Woz is Woz and Jobs is Jobs. Woz was a great inventor...Jobs is a great businessman. Woz doesn't understand business(ever hear of CL 9 or Wheels of Zeus?). Apple is not a religion it is a corporation in the business of making money. The only business Woz is good at is being curmudgeon and that ain't paying to well.

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter. Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

That's just one example. Just take a look at any article that disparages Apple in any way. What I like to call the "Apple Defense Force" quickly comes to the rescue for Apple and Jobs, attacking anyone who dares speak ill of Apple. Then there's the Roughly Drafted website; if the "Apple Defense Force" had a home page, this would be it. I can't say anything kind about that site because it's either (a) an Apple sponsored propaganda site or (b) the author is so blinded by loyalty to Apple that he refuses to see anything negative about Apple. Of course, I say this knowing full well that a lot of his crap has spilled over onto this site over the last year.
post #117 of 146
I'm sorry, but fuck Woz. I'm sick of hearing this fatass' bullshit.
post #118 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter.

To be a religion I think there has to be a superhuman controlling power. Does anyone see Jobs as a Messiah? Is Cupertino a holy place? Who would Woz represent? How about Gates?

Quote:
Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

There were plenty of sites that were presenting it as an anti-Apple campaign by the EU, so teh defense is partially warranted, even though the iPhone's battery is easily changed by the removal of two screws. Beyond that, i am not sure that the plan will help the environment. From my perspective, people take the easiest route and throwing away a small battery in the trash will not change because it's easier to access, but we'll have to see how this proposal shapes up before we can really be sure it will work, but it looks like better education and disposal bins for electronics would be the best move at this point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #119 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter. Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

That's just one example. Just take a look at any article that disparages Apple in any way. What I like to call the "Apple Defense Force" quickly comes to the rescue for Apple and Jobs, attacking anyone who dares speak ill of Apple. Then there's the Roughly Drafted website; if the "Apple Defense Force" had a home page, this would be it. I can't say anything kind about that site because it's either (a) an Apple sponsored propaganda site or (b) the author is so blinded by loyalty to Apple that he refuses to see anything negative about Apple. Of course, I say this knowing full well that a lot of his crap has spilled over onto this site over the last year.

Not all of us are making statements here just to defend Apple. Is just that Woz, well, what has he really done lately? He's more of a PR hack for himself nowadays. A lot of us are sick of his nonsense. He's a waste of space, physical, blog-wise, news-wise or otherwise.
post #120 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm sorry, but fuck Woz. I'm sick of hearing this fatass' bullshit.

Wilco, stop using Nivida'a username!

That is a pretty strong stance. I can't deny his grand contributions in starting the personal computer revolution, but he hasn't done himself any favours by making these small world comments about the future of technology.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course