or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
A photo of a mysterious notebook leaked on the Internet Wednesday is indeed one taken of Apple's next-generation MacBook Pro casing, AppleInsider can confirm. Meanwhile, some additional photos of a similar, but still unauthenticated 13-inch notebook have since surfaced.

The new MacBook Pro

According to people familiar with Apple's upcoming notebook offerings, the photo (below) is that of a partial prototype of the company's new 15-inch MacBook Pro, revealing the left side of the unit as well as its keyboard and palm rest areas.

The verification adds yet another piece to the puzzle, with AppleInsider having previously authenticated an earlier photo showing the base of the unit as well as its top shell. When combined, the two photos offer a significant window into what consumers can expect Apple's new professional notebooks to look like when they're released to market in the coming weeks.

The latest photo also reveals a new port layout for the MacBook Pro, which appears to include a FireWire 800 port, two side-by-side USB ports, an Ethernet port, audio in and out, and what may be a mini-DVI port. Again, these findings are consistent with a report published late last month.

Meanwhile, some publications have jumped to the conclusion that the latest photo provides evidence that Apple is using some completely new and revolutionary manufacturing process to stamp out its new MacBook Pro design from a single block of aluminum, which does not appear to be the case.

The two authenticated photographs (below, and below) clearly combine to show at least two separate components that will be joined to form the base of the unit, similar to the way the company constructs its existing MacBook Pro. The only difference appears to be in the layout of those pieces and the way they fit together.

An authentic photo of Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro top panel and left-side port makeup.

Another authentic photo showing the MacBook Pros base panel and top shell .

The existing MacBook Pro is constructed from a base container molded from a single piece of aluminum (that includes the unit's sides), which is then capped with a separate palm rest/keyboard area. The two are then secured by screws on the left- and right-side of the unit. With the new MacBook Pro, Apple is molding the palm rest/keyboard area and sides from one piece of aluminum, then securing a separate base through screws that will be visible at the base of the unit, not the sides.

Also of interest is the MacBook Pro's keyboard component, where individual key containers are carved out of the aluminum sheet that forms the top of the unit's base component. Again, this is nothing new. Apple has been employing this same technique in MacBook Air manufacturing for nearly a year, and on the plastic 13-inch MacBooks for several years (photos below).

The new MacBook Pro shares the same keyboard cutout as the MacBook Air.

The new MacBook Pro shares the same keyboard cutout as the 2.5-year old MacBook.

Potentially the new MacBook

Separately, Apple.pro, the website responsible for leaking the first authentic images of the MacBook Pro casing back in July, has since published a trio of images that may turn out to be authentic representations of Apple's upcoming aluminum 13-inch MacBooks.

New photos which may reveal part of Apple's next-gen 13-inch MacBook design.

AppleInsider reported last month that both the new MacBook and MacBook Pro were spotted in matching outfits, building on reports from April that originally tagged both to obtain new aluminum enclosures that borrowed design cues from the aluminum iMacs and MacBook Air.
post #2 of 106
Looking sweet. A def upmarket move in the look of the macbook, predict they will see tonnes of them!

How does this link in with the 800 buck notebook rumour?

And I'm glad the brick probably wasn't the solid block of Aluminium idea, that's cool, but I am hoping for something a bit more whiz-bang (like the mythical tablet).

Any chance of a macmini update as well? I really need one for my HDTV, it would be perfect. C'mon Apple!
post #3 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...], and what may be a mini-DVI port.

I don't believe it is, it's too small.

Also, what do we think of a possibility of a black plastic underside, in line with the iMac? Just throwing ideas out there.

/Adrian
post #4 of 106
I'd like a black frame as it gives the image a bit more definition (I'm not talking in a resolution sense). I've got an iMac and it does make the screen pop. Don't know if they will do it though, some people like the black frames, some people don't, matter of taste I guess.
post #5 of 106
I also can't find any possible display connector that fits into this hole: VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Micro-DVI are all wider and some are higher, mini-DVI is higher. Only mini-VGA could fit, but where's the point in an analog-only port ?

DisplayPort would be the perfect future-safe port, but it is about the size of a USB-A connector...
post #6 of 106
I'm not to happy about the keyboard change...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #7 of 106
If this half:

and this half:

Are fixed on top of each other, the chassis of the MBP (minus the screen) will be the width of what we can see in the top image, and the curved base we can see in the second image, combined. Wouldn't this mean that the new MacBook Pros are going to be a fair bit thicker, at least in parts, than the current models?

I FREAKING HOPE SO.
post #8 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfrank View Post

I also can't find any possible display connector that fits into this hole: VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Micro-DVI are all wider and some are higher, mini-DVI is higher. Only mini-VGA could fit, but where's the point in an analog-only port ?

DisplayPort would be the perfect future-safe port, but it is about the size of a USB-A connector...

i'm sure it'll be an apple specific adapter and you can plug in your DVI/VGA...and maybe even displayport/hdmi.... that might be pushing it a little though.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #9 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

I hope they add HDMI at least to make it easier to plug into a plasma/lcd tv.

Without a blu-ray drive- why bother?
post #10 of 106
The only way Apple uses mini-DVI on that casing is if they introduce a 15" MacBook. But when has Apple put the video out so close to the front of the machine? Do we know that the hole is the correct size in relation to the USB ports next to it? Why are some of the pics taken from some bacholer's flat that is clearly not China or Cupertino?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

I'd like a black frame as it gives the image a bit more definition (I'm not talking in a resolution sense). I've got an iMac and it does make the screen pop. Don't know if they will do it though, some people like the black frames, some people don't, matter of taste I guess.

Unless it's painted around an eyeball, black liners are ugly.
post #12 of 106
I thought Apple would do something "revolutionary" in terms of design for the MacBook Pro, while keeping an "evolutionary" approach to the MacBook.

It is good that they now build the MacBook in alluminium, much as the Air, but on the other hand Apple should have taken steps to truly differentiate the "Pro" line from the others.

My MacBook Pro won't look too old in comparison to the new one (and I am pleased with that).

I think, however, that keeping the "Pro" line different than the other line is something consumers would like. Maybe a different material for the chassis, or a different colour?

Apple has built it's strength on the "status" value of their products, besides the wonderful OS and exceptional built quality. People spending for the "Pro" line, that is my personal feeling (not only as a "Pro" owner, but also as a person with a master in communication), love to be recognized,

That, I think, will be missed. Apple only produces three lines of notebooks. If they all look the same, then they defenitely loose something in terms of percieved status value. That, of course besides the tech specs.

Now... IF (underline IF) the MacBook receives a discrete GPU (which I look forward to) then the distinction with the MacBook Pro gets thinner and thinner. So I defenitely was looking forward to a "design" added value to push "Pro" sales.

I am happy with my MacBook Pro, and will keep it for a while, but I also would like Apple to be a really healthy company with revolutionary products that sell well. So that in some years I will still be purchasing these tech products "designed in Cupertino" :-)
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Are fixed on top of each other, the chassis of the MBP (minus the screen) will be the width of what we can see in the top image, and the curved base we can see in the second image, combined. Wouldn't this mean that the new MacBook Pros are going to be a fair bit thicker, at least in parts, than the current models?

I FREAKING HOPE SO.

I don't know where you people are getting that it'll be thicker. Looks to me like it will be exactly the same thickness as the current one, just with a little more rounding on the edges (and not much more, either).
post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Without a blu-ray drive- why bother?

I know this one... because Blu-ray is not the only way to get HD content, AND an internal Blu-ray drive costing $1000* extra is not the only option for BRDs.

* These $1000 drives are for 12.7mm drives, not the 9.5mm drives that Apple uses in its most popular machines.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 106
I think it is Apple messing with us!
post #16 of 106
I am as Apple crazy as the next guy but is it just me or does this all seem trivial in the light of the what's going on in the World at the moment?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am as Apple crazy as the next guy but is it just me or does this all seem trivial in the light of the what's going on in the World at the moment?

There is always something going on in the world that trivializes any new product from Apple, but I know that a short reprieve from the constant bombardment of the economy and election is nice. At least it's not about the iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know this one... because Blu-ray is not the only way to get HD content, AND an internal Blu-ray drive costing $1000* extra is not the only option for BRDs.

* These $1000 drives are for 12.7mm drives, not the 9.5mm drives that Apple uses in its most popular machines.

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much?
PC's with blu-ray are simply not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.
AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.
post #19 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfrank View Post

I also can't find any possible display connector that fits into this hole: VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Micro-DVI are all wider and some are higher, mini-DVI is higher. Only mini-VGA could fit, but where's the point in an analog-only port ?

DisplayPort would be the perfect future-safe port, but it is about the size of a USB-A connector...

That's a 4 pin FireWire port. Having looked at both the MBP and the MB images, it seems like Apple is replacing the 6 pin IEEE1394a ports with 4 pin IEEE1394a ports.
(The current MBP line features a 9 pin 1394b and a 6 pin 1394a port, and the MB has only a 6 pin 1394a port.)
The difference between the 6 pin and the 4 pin 1394a ports are the different connector shape and the lack of power connections in the 4 pin version.
It is a pretty sad change for those like me who used the MB with FireWire cameras powered from the FireWire port. For us the only workaround is to buy an external FireWire power adapter (about 10 bucks). Additional hassle...
For those who used their FireWire ports only to connect their camcorders, the change will have no such consequences because camcorders have their own power supplies. They will only need to replace the cable.
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am as Apple crazy as the next guy but is it just me or does this all seem trivial in the light of the what's going on in the World at the moment?

Let me get this right- you're on an Apple fetish website and pondering why we don't refrain from the fetish?
post #21 of 106
If Apple no longer makes a portable with a common sense, ergonomic keyboard, then I'm simply not using Apple portables anymore.
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let me get this right- you're on an Apple fetish website and pondering why we don't refrain from the fetish?

Hey, I'm trying to give up drinking to!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much? PC's with blu-ray are not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.

How many times do we have to go over this. Other vendors use the much thicker and cheaper tray-loading notebook drives, while the MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro and 20" iMac use 9.5mm slot-loading drives (which no evidence of a BRD of that size actually exists beyond Panasonic saying they are working on it); while the 17" MacBook Pro and 24" iMac use a 12.5mm slot-loading drive, which retails for $1000.

Yes, only a reader would be cheaper, but that is non-starter. Yes, Apple could move to a thicker case and use a tray-loading drive, but that ruins Apple's premium PC market for an overly expensive and unpopular option.

Quote:
AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.

There you go altering what you meant to suit your argument. The OP stated they wanted HDMI to make connecting to a larger screen easier. This has nothing to do with Blu-ray as there are many application in which this would be a benefit, even if you weren't playing back HD content, but now it's about 7.1 audio.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.

No it isn't. It might be the only way HD video with multichannel sound is commercially distributed right now (and that's not even technically true - you can still buy HD-DVDs), but that means nothing. There's no reason (besides bandwidth) that Apple couldn't put high-bitrate MPEG-4/TrueHD movies in the iTunes Store. Or they could use 8 channels of Apple Lossless audio.

Still, I'd rather they don't tease us with an HDMI output unless the system can actually deliver multichannel lossless audio over it. And I don't think there's much chance of that happening until Snow Leopard arrives, since supposedly QuickTime is getting some overhauls then.
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many times do we have to go over this. Other vendors use the much thicker and cheaper tray-loading notebook drives, while the MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro and 20" iMac use 9.5mm slot-loading drives (which no evidence of a BRD of that size actually exists beyond Panasonic saying they are working on it); while the 17" MacBook Pro and 24" iMac use a 12.5mm slot-loading drive, which retails for $1000.

Yes, only a reader would be cheaper, but that is non-starter. Yes, Apple could move to a thicker case and use a tray-loading drive, but that ruins Apple's premium PC market for an overly expensive and unpopular option.


There you go altering what you meant to suit your argument. The OP stated they wanted HDMI to make connecting to a larger screen easier. This has nothing to do with Blu-ray as there are many application in which this would be a benefit, even if you weren't playing back HD content, but now it's about 7.1 audio.

Blah , blah , blah , blah- I knew the hot air was about to be released .
1.) Dvd readers were added to Macs before writers. Who mentioned writers?- only you.
2.) SOUND has everything to do with blu-ray- so little do you know. IT NOT JUST VIDEO.

Your $1,000 add-on argument is once again- bogus.
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only way Apple uses mini-DVI on that casing is if they introduce a 15" MacBook. But when has Apple put the video out so close to the front of the machine? Do we know that the hole is the correct size in relation to the USB ports next to it? Why are some of the pics taken from some bacholer's flat that is clearly not China or Cupertino?

It will have ports on the opposite side, almost for sure on the MBP. We cant's see the express card port either so some ports should be added on the other side. The optical drive will stay on the front, i guess, as usual.
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post

That's a 4 pin FireWire port. Having looked at both the MBP and the MB images, it seems like Apple is replacing the 6 pin IEEE1394a ports with 4 pin IEEE1394a ports.
(The current MBP line features a 9 pin 1394b and a 6 pin 1394a port, and the MB has only a 6 pin 1394a port.)
The difference between the 6 pin and the 4 pin 1394a ports are the different connector shape and the lack of power connections in the 4 pin version.
It is a pretty sad change for those like me who used the MB with FireWire cameras powered from the FireWire port. For us the only workaround is to buy an external FireWire power adapter (about 10 bucks). Additional hassle...
For those who used their FireWire ports only to connect their camcorders, the change will have no such consequences because camcorders have their own power supplies. They will only need to replace the cable.

That is the best answer I've read for that port. I can't imagine Apple putting the video-out so close to the front, now it makes sense. They have removed the charging capabilities of the FW from their iDevices, so it does make some sense. I guess the other side (even though the images don't show it*) would have to have at least, a video-out.

edit: Apple has put Mini-DVI between the mic and USB on the PowerBooks, but the rumoured pci isn't showing a Mini-DVI port..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...i-mini-dvi.jpg
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 106
Sheesh, everybody seems to get pissed of with the new keyboard layout? Have you guys actually used it? as in really try to use it for at least a week, of course some of you will miss the old keyboard layout but the new one is not that bad either. Surprisingly I get less typos on the new keyboard layout compared to the current MBP keyboard.

I do hope the MBP will come in Matte.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavenYak View Post

No it isn't. It might be the only way HD video with multichannel sound is commercially distributed right now (and that's not even technically true - you can still buy HD-DVDs), but that means nothing. There's no reason (besides bandwidth) that Apple couldn't put high-bitrate MPEG-4/TrueHD movies in the iTunes Store. Or they could use 8 channels of Apple Lossless audio.

Still, I'd rather they don't tease us with an HDMI output unless the system can actually deliver multichannel lossless audio over it. And I don't think there's much chance of that happening until Snow Leopard arrives, since supposedly QuickTime is getting some overhauls then.

I agree with your points and that's why I stated without blu-ray why bother HDMI because it's currently up and ready with the sound specs as is.
post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am as Apple crazy as the next guy but is it just me or does this all seem trivial in the light of the what's going on in the World at the moment?

The first iPod event - 1 month after 9/11. Look how far the iPod has gone since. Hollywood boomed during the Great Depression.

A little diversion can be good. I think it's unhealthy if one obsesses over only the bad news. There's always bad things going on, the trick is to not let it get you so hard that it's damaging.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Without a blu-ray drive- why bother?

Show photos, slide shows or other forms of videos?


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much?
PC's with blu-ray are simply not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.

No one else is using slot loading writers in their notebooks that I'm aware. All the writers I've seen in notebooks are tray loaders. The cheapest notebooks with Blu-Ray are reader-only. The ones with writers are a lot more expensive.
post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

If one has media on their laptop and wanted to watch on a big tv then its useful. Right now I plug in my 12'' Powerbook into my plasma using the vga adaptor. It works fine but I'd like a neater solution without adaptors. I haven't got anything blu-ray at the moment.

Sure an ATV would be good for me but its not flexible enough.

It may be useful to you but it's not useful if it compromises the design. The HDMI port is not tiny nor particularly thin.
post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Blah , blah , blah , blah- I knew the hot air was about to be released .
1.) Dvd readers were added to Macs before writers. Who mentioned writers?- only you.
2.) SOUND has everything to do with blu-ray- so little do you know. IT NOT JUST VIDEO.

Your $1,000 add-on argument is once again- bogus.

Th OP ddn't mention playing HD video. You did. Then when cornered with facts you mention 7.1 channel audio. The OP only mentioned connecting to an LCD/Plasma TV. If youc can't concieve of uses beyond playing Blu-ray movies I feel sorry for you.

Even when spelling it for you and linking to sites you still can't see the simplest of facts. If you are so convinced that it's possible to have a 9.5mm BRD for the same price as as others are selling then I implore you to back up your statements with some facts. Or at least make an argument that shows that Apple cares about BR playback, but won't confuse buyers by not offering burning, and will somehow change their design to accommodate the $150 large form factor, tray-loading BRD that other PC vendors are using.

(I figure this is where you would change your argument to say you've been talking about the Mac Pro the whole time.)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Sheesh, everybody seems to get pissed of with the new keyboard layout? Have you guys actually used it?

I understand some people prefer the current MBP keyboard, but I wonder how many would not by a new Mac because of the keyboard change.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 106
Please let the 15in have 3 USB ports be available in BLACK!
post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is the best answer I've read for that port. I can't imagine Apple putting the video-out so close to the front, now it makes sense. They have removed the charging capabilities of the FW from their iDevices, so it does make some sense. I guess the other side (even though the images don't show it*) would have to have at least, a video-out.

edit: Apple has put Mini-DVI between the mic and USB on the PowerBooks, but the rumoured pci isn't showing a Mini-DVI port..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...i-mini-dvi.jpg

Furthermore, the FireWire ports are currently powered only when the laptops are running from the power adapter. When running from battery, even the existing 6 and 9 pin ports have their power lines turned off. It means that using an external FireWire power adapter will not be a big issue because a power outlet is/was needed anyways.

Btw, just on the side note: having a full featured, powered 6 pin FireWire port is an exceptional feature on the current MacBook. In this price category this is the only laptop on the market having such a port.
Other manufacturers put only a 4 pin port even on their high-end offerings.
Considering all this, I can totally understand Apple that they will provide powered FireWire port (1394b 9 pin) only on the MB Pro line in the future.
post #36 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Th OP ddn't mention playing HD video. You did. Then when cornered with facts you mention 7.1 channel audio. The OP only mentioned connecting to an LCD/Plasma TV. If youc can't concieve of uses beyond playing Blu-ray movies I feel sorry for you.

Even when spelling it for you and linking to sites you still can't see the simplest of facts. If you are so convinced that it's possible to have a 9.5mm BRD for the same price as as others are selling then I implore you to back up your statements with some facts. Or at least make an argument that shows that Apple cares about BR playback, but won't confuse buyers by not offering burning, and will somehow change their design to accommodate the $150 large form factor, tray-loading BRD that other PC vendors are using.

(I figure this is where you would change your argument to say you've been talking about the Mac Pro the whole time.)

And on and on he goes.
Somewhere I missed where you showed me an example of the $1,000 plus differential cost of the blu-ray PC vs its non blu-ray counterpart?
post #37 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post

Btw, just on the side note: having a full featured, powered 6 pin FireWire port is an exceptional feature on the current MacBook. In this price category this is the only laptop on the market having such a port.
Other manufacturers put only a 4 pin port even on their high-end offerings.
Considering all this, I can totally understand Apple that they will provide powered FireWire port (1394b 9 pin) only on the MB Pro line in the future.

That is one option that I rarely see compared when mentioning how a MacBook compares to other PCs, but once it's gone I'm sure we'll see a lot of complaining about it. I wonder if it's not used or if was just taken for granted.

PS: I have moved my external drives to USB because FW offered too issues which required resetting the plug or restarting the Mac.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

I think, however, that keeping the "Pro" line different than the other line is something consumers would like. Maybe a different material for the chassis, or a different colour?

Apple has built it's strength on the "status" value of their products, besides the wonderful OS and exceptional built quality. People spending for the "Pro" line, that is my personal feeling (not only as a "Pro" owner, but also as a person with a master in communication), love to be recognized

from the rumours i've heard, the pro and the air will have black backlit keys and the standard macbook will have plain white ones like the imac keyboard. its not a huge distinction, but as long as it looks good to me (which seems promising from these spy shots) i'll be happy.

I think if you play the status game with something as rapidly evolving as electronics, you're always going to end up frustrated... the folks who got the iphone when it first came out in all its uber expensive glory now have to deal with every third person seeming to have one (and having gotten it for way cheaper).

now from a slightly different angle, it is sorta a shame they aren't going the nano-chromatic route for colour options. on the one hand it'd probably look gaudy, but if apple's vision is for a sea of identical looking notebooks populating college campuses and workplaces, thats pretty bleak too.

we'll see what happens i guess!
post #39 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And on and on he goes.
Somewhere I missed where you showed me an example of the $1,000 plus differential cost in the blu-ray PC vs its non blu-ray counterpart?

I never said plus or differential. I said it cost $1000 for a 12.7mm slot-loading BRD, and that no 9.5mm BRD was yet on the market. I also linked to it in my original mention of it becauseI knew you would not take the 10 seconds to look it up. I am still waiting for you rationale as to how Apple will achieve this momentous feat of comparably priced BRD in 9.5mm form factor.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Th OP ddn't mention playing HD video. You did. Then when cornered with facts you mention 7.1 channel audio. The OP only mentioned connecting to an LCD/Plasma TV. If youc can't concieve of uses beyond playing Blu-ray movies I feel sorry for you.

----


(I figure this is where you would change your argument to say you've been talking about the Mac Pro the whole time.)

It's been interesting reading the opinions, but I put him on ignore LONG ago.

--

I don't understand the fretting some people are doing about it being too BIG a change (the keyboard) or not enough of a change (the chassis/overall device shape) because any of the current laptops look great, why change much more, they are close to perfection for the components they need to house.

Alu might be cool on the complete range, and hopefully lead to multiple colours, while I'm not sure about that idea working, it would be nice and would be another differentiator between Apple and everyone else.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal