or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899

Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899

post #1 of 145
The stars are aligning for Apple to transition its 13-inch MacBook family into more of a premium product while simultaneously slashing prices on new models by as much as 18 percent, according to investment bank Piper Jaffray.

Reacting to Apple's announcement that it plans to hold a special notebook event on its campus next Tuesday, analyst Gene Munster told clients he believes the big news will surround a revamp of the company's entry-level MacBook line with prices starting at $899 or $999.

"We expect the new MacBooks to be cheaper. However, it is likely that the new MacBooks will be a more premium product (with new aluminum casing and gesture-based touchpad)," he wrote. "In other words, we expect the new MacBooks to be a meaningful upgrade with an average selling price 9 percent to 18 percent lower [than today's models]."

Similarly, Munster is also expecting a complete redesign of the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros, which are likely to carry an $1899 entry-level price tag. Among the new models' selling points will be a thinner design and more sophisticated gesture-based touchpad, he said.

While the analyst isn't expecting Apple to add a new product to its MacBook family, he believes the company will also use the event to update the specs of its ultra-thin MacBook Air. Expectations for a Mac with touchscreen technology should be sidelined for a later date, however.

"While we are confident that Apple will eventually bring its touchscreen technology from the iPhone to the Mac, we do not expect to see a touchscreen Mac this year," he told clients.

Munster maintained his Buy rating and $250 price target on shares of Apple, saying next week's event should serve as a catalyst for the company's stock price.
post #2 of 145
$250 price target.
post #3 of 145
Man, am I glad I sold my Core Duo MacBook for $800 a few months ago.
post #4 of 145
Seeing how Apple operates thus far, for $899 you're gonna get 512mb or Ram, a CD-Rom, and and a 20gig hard drive. I personally think the specs for for their low end models, their "entry MacBooks", are completely ridiculous compared to what everyone else is selling at the same price point. But that's Mac. I am very curious to see what this release has to offer.
13" MacBook 2.4ghz, 4g RAM, 500g Scorpio HD, 22" Samsung SyncMaster
post #5 of 145
I was skeptical it'd make it that high even when it was over 150. It may make it to $250...but I can't see it happening in the next 12-18 months.
post #6 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

Seeing how Apple operates thus far, for $899 you're gonna get 512mb or Ram, a CD-Rom, and and a 20gig hard drive. I personally think the specs for for their low end models, their "entry MacBooks", are completely ridiculous compared to what everyone else is selling at the same price point. But that's Mac. I am very curious to see what this release has to offer.

That has to be the most asinine and uncorroborated statement I have ever seen.

Best you troll elsewhere. We really couldn't give a rat's ass what you think
post #7 of 145
Quote:

I think they'll finally come around. Macs often have competitve prices when first introduced but then tend to languish as component prices plummet. The current pricing of Macbooks is a return to their former days of half the power, twice the price (compared to PC makers). But I expect things will on Tuesday. I don't even think the lower prices will have an effect on their margins considering how substantially prices of RAM, CPUs, hard drives, LEDs, etc have fallen. Looking forward to owning my first Mac.
post #8 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Dude, compared to what others post on here this you chose this as the most asinine. Very professional there buddy.
post #9 of 145
For $899 you'll get a single panel or a two panel MacBook touch... and you will like it!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

I think they'll finally come around. Macs often have competitve prices when first introduced but then tend to languish as component prices plummet. The current pricing of Macbooks is a return to their former days of half the power, twice the price (compared to PC makers).

A bit of an over statement. While it being true that the MB has not yet had the current Intel updates. Montevina is not twice the speed of Santa Rosa. It is only a slight bump in performance. Including Vista the overall performance isn't much different.
post #11 of 145
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Over the last two years everytime Intel has launched a major new architecture Apple was the first to use its best mobile chipsets. PC OEM often use slower chips with less L2 cache.
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...he believes the company will also use the event to update the specs of its ultra-thin MacBook Air.

I'm crossing my fingers for a 1.8" 120GB HDD and/or 128GB SSD option. That'll make it far more compelling as I'm currently about 10GB away from filling up my 15" PowerBook G4's 80GB (74.53GB formatted) HDD.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #13 of 145
A touchscreen? More likely a touchpad as with the laptops. Imagine holding your arms out all day long to work on a monitor screen in front of you.
post #14 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I'm crossing my fingers for a 1.8" 120GB HDD and/or 128GB SSD option. That'll make it far more compelling as I'm currently about 10GB away from filling up my 15" PowerBook G4's 80GB (74.53GB formatted) HDD.

The 120GB single platter 1.8" HDD is the obvious transition for the MBA. I've read that it's a much better drive, and I think the price difference is negligible. As for the 128GB SSD option, It's hard to find info on what Apple will use and what they will cost as they aren't all made the same. Are Intel's SSD options available yet? Will Intel use Apple to showcase their new drives?

PS: The MBA upgrade to Montevina will still offer the same 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz CPU, which I think will upset many potential buyers. The power usage will be reduced slightly, but I hope they do something more drastic to make the battery last considerably longer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #15 of 145
Quote:

No way.

A more realistic prediction:

2.4 GHz processors
2 Gigs of RAM
200 Gig HDD

Options for:
2.6 GHz processors
4 to 8 Gigs of RAM
250 to 300 Gig HDD or 128 Gig SSD

We're looking at incremental improvements to the specs in addition to the sweet new cases and lower price point.
post #16 of 145
Slash the pr$ce of the MBA- forget the spec updates. The MacorexicBookAir will die a slooow and painful death if it's not priced lower.
post #17 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The stars are aligning for Apple to transition its 13-inch MacBook family into more of a premium product while simultaneously slashing prices on new models by as much as 18 percent, according to investment bank Piper Jaffray.

The moons of Vega too
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzkat View Post

4 to 8 Gigs of RAM

I can only find 4GB SODIMMS in 667MHz speeds, nothing for the newer 800MHz+ speeds.
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Slash the pr$ce of the MBA- forget the spec updates. The MacorexicBookAir will die a slooow and painful death if it's not priced lower.

Will it die faster than Sony's new $4,450 Vaio TT?
post #20 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't know- did the Lusitania sink faster than the Titanic?
post #21 of 145
Quote:

I don't know- did the Lusitania sink faster than the Titanic?

Is it possible you don't understand the market as well as Sony-Apple and others who sell similar notebooks.
post #22 of 145
Quote:

Also thanks for pointing that model put out to me- only $500 to add a blu-ray drive to it. Interesting not $1,000 as some self-annoited expert on here has claimed.

BTW- did you compare the specs between that which you mention and the MBA- it's embarrasing.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...g_vinb_gglsrch
post #23 of 145
Quote:

Also thanks for pointing that model put out to me- only $500 to add a blu-ray drive to it. Interesting not $1,000 as some self-annoited expert on here has claimed.

BTW- did you compare the specs between that which you mention and the MBA- it's embarrasing.

The Vaio uses a tray loading BD drive. Solpism said a slot loading drive like the Mac's use cost $1000.

The Vaio uses a slower processor. Apple could add more RAM and 256 SSD. That would raise the price of the MBA by $2000.
post #24 of 145
Quote:

I think they should make an entry level "netbook" version of the macbook air in a plastic case

11" MacBook nano
1.6 Ghz Core2Duo
2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 4200-rpm PATA HD
available in 1 configuration, 9 different colors (plastic case)
available for $899

13" MacBook Air
1.8 Ghz Core2Duo
2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 4200-rpm PATA HD
available for $1399

13" MacBook Air
2.0 Ghz Core2Duo
4GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
128GB SSD
available for $1999
post #25 of 145
T9600 (6M L2 Cache 2.80Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $530
P9500 (6M L2 Cache 2.53Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $348
T9400 (6M L2 Cache 2.53Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $316
P8600 (3M L2 Cache 2.40Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $241
P8400 (3M L2 Cache 2.26Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $209

what are these?

SP9400 (6M L2 Cache 2.40Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $316
SP9300 (6M L2 Cache 2.26Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $284

which CPU goes to macbook & Pro (or iMac) what is the difference between P & SP (i know current ones use T models)

and of course for high end BTOs are
Quad Cores

QX9300 (12M L2 Cache 2.53Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $1038
Q9100 (12M L2 Cache 2.26Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $851

Dual cores

X9100 (6M L2 Cache 3.06Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $851
X9000 (6M L2 Cache 2.80Ghz 1066 Mhz FSB 45nM) $851

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #26 of 145
Quote:

Is it possible you don't understand the market as well as Sony-Apple and others who sell similar notebooks.

And I suppose you haven't read or perhaps understand that the sales for the MBA are stagnant? I haven't read Sony sales reports for the TT or TZ. Have you?
post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For $899 you'll get a single panel or a two panel MacBook touch... and you will like it!

You are joking right?
Addicted to a Mac since the Mac Plus
Addicted to a Mac since the Mac Plus
post #28 of 145
Quote:

The Vaio uses a tray loading BD drive. Solpism said a slot loading drive like the Mac's use cost $1000.

The Vaio uses a slower processor. Apple could add more RAM and 256 SSD. That would raise the price of the MBA by $2000.

So add it to the MacBookPro then. My point is -it's almost 2009 and no Mac has a blu-ray drive. Many of us want one. Just because you may not doesn't make it an undersirable option.
post #29 of 145
Quote:

So add it to the MacBookPro then. My point is -it's almost 2009 and no Mac has a blu-ray drive. Many of us want one. Just because you may not doesn't make it an undersirable option.

I agree with Teckstud here. And if the MBP needs a thicker enclosure to accommodate a tray drive then so be it.

Apple's most expensive and technologically advanced laptop should have the most advanced optical drive available as well.
post #30 of 145
Quote:

After FuturePastNow pointed out that the drive uses a Panasonic UJ-225, I was able to find listings on Google Shopping for as low as $550. But how much would Apple charge if that is lowest end of the retail price range when we know that Apple sells their upgrades for considerably m7ore? And, of course, this still doesn't address the issue that this drive is a 12.7mm drive, not a 9.5mm drive in either a reader or burner.

PS: Imagine the uproar is Apple does release a BLu-ray option that is only a reader.
post #31 of 145
Quote:

And I suppose you haven't read or perhaps understand that the sales for the MBA are stagnant? I haven't read Sony sales reports for the TT or TZ. Have you?

There's only one reason for that, they're at the end of their update cycle, and everyone is waiting for the update to them. It's normal. At the start of the update cycle, they sell like hotcakes and then a couple months later sales start slowing down.
post #32 of 145
Seriously, anyone else laughing at the $250 target?

Munster is on drugs!
post #33 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Imagine the uproar is Apple does release a BLu-ray option that is only a reader.

Why would that be? Was there an uproar when Apple only released DVD readers long before writers were available? or CD readers before CD writers?
post #34 of 145
Quote:

BTW--The market you speak of has tanked. Not even Apple could have predicted that- sorry to say.
post #35 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with Teckstud here. And if the MBP needs a thicker enclosure to accommodate a tray drive then so be it.

Apple's most expensive and technologically advanced laptop should have the most advanced optical drive available as well.

Thank god- at last!
That sentence is brilliant- you've summed it up.
post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

Munster is on drugs!

Must be related to Herman and Lily.
post #37 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

I am betting my savings (buying AAPL tomorrow) that he's actually quite right (for once).

Prediction:
The coming weeks* Apple will recover (slowly) from the massive hit their shares have taken lately.
By December AAPL will reach $170, fall to $150 in January and then start up again, reaching above $200 (if no split is issued) before summer. $250 within a year seems quite reasonable.

*given that the financial crisis doesn't get much deeper than today.

The above is based upon the massive growth potential Apple computers/iPhones has worldwide.
Despite their current success in the states, Apple is still a smallish player on the international market.
If Apple would reach anywhere near the market shares they have in the US in other countries their sales/earnings/stock price could easily triple.
post #38 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Exaggerated? Sure. Troll? No way.

He does have a point, right now the $1100 macbook doesn't have a DVD burner. PCs have that at half the price and less.

There's no question that Apple is very very often uncompetitive on specs on the low end models. Especially since Apple only bumps specs every few months - when the configuration is new it's usually not too bad, but after months of competitors lowering prices and raising specs almost continuously, the macs can get WAY out of date pretty fast.

Hopefully this new batch of releases will turn over a new leaf.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Over the last two years everytime Intel has launched a major new architecture Apple was the first to use its best mobile chipsets. PC OEM often use slower chips with less L2 cache.

It seems obvious that what he means is that the base Apple models tend to lag way behind in ram, HD size, and optical drive specs. Unless the machine is insanely cheap, it seems criminal not to include DVD burning. And I have to agree that it's pretty unbelievable that Apple hasn't shipped a single machine at this late date that even includes BD as an OPTION.

Quote:

And I suppose you haven't read or perhaps understand that the sales for the MBA are stagnant?

Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.

What a horrible suggestion.
post #40 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Link?

I was in a hurry - so perhaps stagnant was not the best wording but here goes:

We continue to believe that MacBook Pro and MacBook are due for refreshes with more radical redesigns, likely at a special event later this fall. In addition, we are picking up that MacBook Air could see a minor refresh and potential price cut to increase its value proposition as build plans have slowed from earlier robust levels as customers have opted for MacBook or MacBook Pro instead. Shaw Wu
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899