or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899

Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899 - Page 2

post #41 of 145
$899 seems feasible for the same spec MB at $1099 now in a new case.

MBA at $1499. +$100 for 120gb pata.
MBP at $1799 - $2499 with BTO blu ray adding $300.

i'd also shave aboot $200 off of the estimate for apple stock. the world is in sell-off panic mode.
all stocks are being affected, no matter how solid the company is. i said i'd buy more aapl at $80 but i might wait for $66.
post #42 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And I suppose you haven't read or perhaps understand that the sales for the MBA are stagnant? I haven't read Sony sales reports for the TT or TZ. Have you?

Where did you hear that?

Quote:

So add it to the MacBookPro then. My point is -it's almost 2009 and no Mac has a blu-ray drive. Many of us want one. Just because you may not doesn't make it an undersirable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree with Teckstud here. And if the MBP needs a thicker enclosure to accommodate a tray drive then so be it.
Apple's most expensive and technologically advanced laptop should have the most advanced optical drive available as well.

Its not so much about the people on this list. The majority of the consumer market doesn't care about BD. Netflix has announced that BD adds nearly nothing to its revenue. Has begun charging customers who want BD a dollar to cover the higher cost of he disk.

No Apple should not make the case thicker for a feature most people don't want.

BD drives are not that advanced. They are slower and more expensive than DVD drives.

Quote:

BTW--The market you speak of has tanked. Not even Apple could have predicted that- sorry to say.

We've been in severe recessions before. Life doesn't stop because of it.
post #43 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Exaggerated? Sure. Troll? No way.

He does have a point, right now the $1100 macbook doesn't have a DVD burner. PCs have that at half the price and less.

It seems obvious that what he means is that the base Apple models tend to lag way behind in ram, HD size, and optical drive specs. Unless the machine is insanely cheap, it seems criminal not to include DVD burning. And I have to agree that it's pretty unbelievable that Apple hasn't shipped a single machine at this late date that even includes BD as an OPTION.

I can see that point. I never buy the cheapest machine. What also gets missed out on still even with the DVD burner and RAM issue. The cheaper PC is generally using a less costly chipset and slower CPU. It becomes easier to bump the RAM and drives. They cost less than the chips.
post #44 of 145
Quote:

I was in a hurry - so perhaps stagnant was not the best wording but here goes:

We continue to believe that MacBook Pro and MacBook are due for refreshes with more radical redesigns, likely at a special event later this fall. In addition, we are picking up that MacBook Air could see a minor refresh and potential price cut to increase its value proposition as build plans have slowed from earlier robust levels as customers have opted for MacBook or MacBook Pro instead. Shaw Wu

The MBA is a niche product and was never really speculated to sell as well as the MacBook.

I will agree it badly needs a storage increase.
post #45 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think they should make an entry level "netbook" version of the macbook air in a plastic case

11" MacBook nano
1.6 Ghz Core2Duo
2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 4200-rpm PATA HD
available in 1 configuration, 9 different colors (plastic case)
available for $899

I've been hoping for something similar but with enough room for a SATA drive and a replaceable battery. No DVD drive, either - offer an external.

Don't care what size HDD they market with it, as long as they don't go to parallel, I'll be ok. I'd put a 300GB SATA drive in mine anyway. Already have 126GB of specs and component drawings and PPT presentations on the drive. When you're 10,000 miles from the office, you better have everything you might need with you! :-)

I moved from owning a long series of metal Apple laptops over the course of 7 years to a black MacBook about a year ago, and I'm grooving on the superior WiFi reception that plastic provides. When I brought that puppy home, for the first time ever, I could cruise the net from my backyard deck! Could never do that with the aluminum models. My wife's brand new aluminum Intel 15" cannot find a signal on our deck... but my BlackBook can!

An 11 or 12" LCD would be dynamite - 13" is just marginally too high for the seat back tray on an aircraft. If the guy in front of you decides to tip his seat back, that's it, no more work for you!

I really dig the looks of the MBA but it's just doesn't have the three features I really need in a traveling machine: storage space, battery swap and IO. Everything else about it is very cool.

My sinking feeling is that they'll turn the MacBooks into smaller aluminum versions of the Pro line, and once again, my WiFi signal strength will be trimmed by a very attractive but effective metal shield.
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #46 of 145
What's with Gene Munster with this target price of $250. Is this the target price five years from now? We're practically staring at an Apple share price of $25 regardless of what it's real value is.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to be buying Apple notebooks, but it doesn't matter what Apple sells or how many buyers, the share price is going lower. Apple will have that much larger a cash reserve but Apple investors won't get anything out of it.
post #47 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Man, am I glad I sold my Core Duo MacBook for $800 a few months ago.

Man, am I glad I sold my PowerBook G4 for $800 a few months ago.
post #48 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I am not sure anyone should consult him for 401k advice. Apple's one year high is just about 200.00 not sure how he expect 250.00 when the market drops about 7% daily.

I expect AAPL to hit in the low 80's before the pain ends.

So you think the bottom is about 10% away? That qualifies you as a pretty solid bull, you realize?
post #49 of 145
Quote:

Of course this is just my opinion like everyone else but Apple stands no chance of seeing 170 anytime soon. Apple could come out with the best products on earth and the simple fact is people are not spending. This is expected to be the worst holiday buying season in the past two decades.

Apple has never seen 250.00 I certainly don't expect it to see 250.00 with the world economy this bad.

Consumers simply are not thinking about buying ipods and macbooks.

well apple is still selling products although less. go visit the apple store and see. it is busy. i think apple will still be able to grow their earnings and most likely beat analyst projections. $250 is possible in 2009. Given the volatility of the market, stocks could shoot up instantly once investor confidence return.

the economy is not in depression yet.

first time positing here. HI
post #50 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

.... The majority of the consumer market doesn't care about BD....

MBPs are supposedly machines made for pros, not consumers.

It ought to have a BD optical drive, IMO.
post #51 of 145
As I predicted yesterday Apple is releasing the new Macbook/Pros in October.
Now believe me when I reiterate it will have an Intel chipset!
Nvidia is out of the chipset business.
Macbook Pros may or may not have a dedicated Nvidia GPU.
It may have an ATI GPU.
post #52 of 145
OK. I really want to Know.

the whole new "entry level" macbook is gonna be significantly cheaper in price right...

does that mean they 1gb of ram, etc. I low end model... That would really get me mad.

i wanna buy whatever the middle macbook is, then upgrade everything on it.

EX: i was gonna but the Middle macbook, 1299 model, upgrade it to 4gbs of ram and 250 gb hard drive and it would have inly been 1600. that is Incredibly good.

are the specs gonna get dumbed down in any way due to economics???
post #53 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by iijuanii View Post

are the specs gonna get dumbed down in any way due to economics???

No, the $899 MB will be high end, and the $1099 one will just be a different color. For $1299 you get an extra Apple sticker. Add another $200 to $1499 and it comes with a free copy of Firefox. The $1699 model is the real high end, you get a free $25 iTunes Store gift card, plus all the other stuff.

Duh.

The low end model will be LOW END, meaning most of the important specs will feature smaller numbers to hit a lower price point.

Duh.
post #54 of 145
Quote:

MBPs are supposedly machines made for pros, not consumers.

It ought to have a BD optical drive, IMO.

What would help this opinion is if their were evidence that sales of notebooks with BD drives is growing faster than notebooks without. Then I would agree. So far sales indicate that most people don't give a rats.....about BD.
post #55 of 145
Apple will finally admit that the MacBook Air was an overpriced product that failed miserably, just like the G4 Cube. At least the Cube was the same speed as the Power Mac G4 towers, and not some crippled computer that was $300-$500 more expensive than its closest sibling, the MacBook.
post #56 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.

No one has any interest in spending money for a Pro-level laptop and then expect to pay extra for an external optical drive. You are out of touch with reality. The majority of users use the internal optical drive and don't want to lug around another device.
post #57 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No, the $899 MB will be high end, and the $1099 one will just be a different color. For $1299 you get an extra Apple sticker. Add another $200 to $1499 and it comes with a free copy of Firefox. The $1699 model is the real high end, you get a free $25 iTunes Store gift card, plus all the other stuff.

Duh.

The low end model will be LOW END, meaning most of the important specs will feature smaller numbers to hit a lower price point.

Duh.

there is no such thing as a $1699.
duh.

get your numbers straight if you're gonna post a sarcastic reply.

i'm gonna stay off this and wait to watch the keynote
post #58 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

As long as it's available only as an external option, then I agree with you.

Quote:

What would help this opinion is if their were evidence that sales of notebooks with BD drives is growing faster than notebooks without. Then I would agree. So far sales indicate that most people don't give a rats.....about BD.

I believe you are correct. Most people don't care about a Blu-Ray drive, especially when the software doesn't exist for playing movies. Most people back up data to an external hard drive, not an optical drive. And you are not going to be dumb enough to burn some files to a BR disc to give to your friend when they don't have a drive that can read the disc! Get a clue! Blu-Ray has barely penetrated the home market for movies, and DVD's far outsell BluRay. Plus, a slot-load Blu-Ray disc burner would be pretty damn slow, so enjoy waiting HOURS to burn GB's of data to a disc.
post #59 of 145
BTW Y'all in the US... Have you seen how strong your dollar is? You should take a break and go to UK, Europe, Australia. Outside of the US we're getting slammed both in our stock markets and our currencies are dropping like a rock against the US dollar.

But yeah, not fun times for everyone in or out of the US...
post #60 of 145
Quote:

The MBP isn't designed for 'most people'. While I'm sure Apple upsell a lot of these machines to consumers, it is a pro machine.

Why do MBPs come with firewire ports? 'Most people' prefer and purchase devices with USB connectivity instead of firewire yet my MBP has a FW 400 and 800 ports.

I do not think the MacBook should have BD yet, don't misunderstand me. The argument against BD is appropriate for the MB but not for the MBP
post #61 of 145
Quote:

The MBP isn't designed for 'most people'. While I'm sure Apple upsell a lot of these machines to consumers, it is a pro machine.

Why do MBPs come with firewire ports? 'Most people' prefer and purchase devices with USB connectivity instead of firewire yet my MBP has a FW 400 and 800 ports.

The numbers aren't broken down between the MB and MBP models, but we do have a median price of Mac notebook sales of around $1,500 and we know that Mac notebooks account for 66% of all consumer notebooks over $1000, so perhaps they are buying these notebooks because of the FW is an included feature.

There are plenty of professional cameras that use FW and many external drives that also use it (though I'd personally like to see that move to eSATA).

Q: If Apple dominates over 2/3rds of the >$1,000 market and I've only been able to find Blu-ray as a costly option for machines costing ~$1,000 or more, how many of these of the Blu-ray drives are actually being sold?

PS: I've my TimeMachine FW to USB on two machines now because of two different issues that don't occur when using USB. The new MB case pics seem to show a 4-pin 1394a(FireWire) port, not a Mini-DVI port, so perhaps even Apple is phasing FW-400 out of its lower-end Mac notebooks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #62 of 145
Quote:

So you think the bottom is about 10% away? That qualifies you as a pretty solid bull, you realize?

AAPL has been demonstrating good strength relative to the NASDAQ index in recent days, the reverse of its relationship during its steep decline in recent months. At this moment the NASDAQ is down 4.33% but AAPL is up 2.42% (at about 91). As soon as the selling pressure on the market as a whole eases it will likely bounce to 100 (it reached 97 earlier today), and will bounce again after the Macbook event Oct 14, and still further after the earnings report Oct. 21. It could be up to 115 but the end of the month.
post #63 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW Y'all in the US... Have you seen how strong your dollar is? You should take a break and go to UK, Europe, Australia. Outside of the US we're getting slammed both in our stock markets and our currencies are dropping like a rock against the US dollar.

That is the result of having such a high GDP in relation to most of the world. Disclaimer: Im not say or imply in any way shape that America is better country, it's just an unfortunate ripple effect. I hope the recovery is much faster than people are predicting and I somewhat wished I would have listened to Cramer and pulled out my money on Monday. For once, i wish I reacted to the typical market fear. \
post #64 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Canada's doing fine
post #65 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The new MB case pics seem to show a 4-pin 1394a(FireWire) port, not a Mini-DVI port, so perhaps even Apple is phasing FW-400 out of its lower-end Mac notebooks.

Ouch, that would be a bummer. No power over the 1394 port, arghhh! As worthless as Sony's stupid iLink! That means we'd all have to start toting power adapters for our different external hard drives and camcorders.

If this new design were true, a new MacBook would add almost 4 extra pounds to my backpack and luggage.

Why don't manufacturers look at total solution portability instead of simply where they can trim cost?
post #66 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Ouch, that would be a bummer. No power over the 1394 port, arghhh! As worthless as Sony's stupid iLink! That means we'd all have to start toting power adapters for our different external hard drives and camcorders.

If this new design were true, a new MacBook would add almost 4 extra pounds to my backpack and luggage.

Why don't manufacturers look at total solution portability instead of simply where they can trim cost?

Mine and others assumption could be false, but the port size fits better with 4-pin FW, it doesn't have the bottom bevel of Mini-DVI, and there is no FW-400 shown on that side of the case. It does seem like a poor choice for Apple when 6-pin FW doesn't seem like a big deal to maintain over 4-pin FW.

However, this does look like it would be for a 15" MacBook, and consumer-grade products with FW-400 usually can powered over USB. Even it some device require an extra USB cable to supply enough power the only extra weight would be an extra cable or two. But that also limits your port availability.
post #67 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

AAPL has been demonstrating good strength relative to the NASDAQ index in recent days, the reverse of its relationship during its steep decline in recent months. At this moment the NASDAQ is down 4.33% but AAPL is up 2.42% (at about 91). As soon as the selling pressure on the market as a whole eases it will likely bounce to 100 (it reached 97 earlier today), and will bounce again after the Macbook event Oct 14, and still further after the earnings report Oct. 21. It could be up to 115 but the end of the month.

I'm expecting that the laptop event will give a boost, and I'm praying that earnings on the 21st will do the same. If Apple can come out and say "the sky is not falling" the stock could easily jump 20%. It could jump even more, but I think anything equal to or better than expectations will result in about 20% upside to the stock.
post #68 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The numbers aren't broken down between the MB and MBP models, but we do have a median price of Mac notebook sales of around $1,500 and we know that Mac notebooks account for 66% of all consumer notebooks over $1000, so perhaps they are buying these notebooks because of the FW is an included feature.

There are plenty of professional cameras that use FW and many external drives that also use it (though I'd personally like to see that move to eSATA).

Q: If Apple dominates over 2/3rds of the >$1,000 market and I've only been able to find Blu-ray as a costly option for machines costing ~$1,000 or more, how many of these of the Blu-ray drives are actually being sold?

PS: I've my TimeMachine FW to USB on two machines now because of two different issues that don't occur when using USB. The new MB case pics seem to show a 4-pin 1394a(FireWire) port, not a Mini-DVI port, so perhaps even Apple is phasing FW-400 out of its lower-end Mac notebooks.

I think my point was missed.

Teno suggests that the features of the MBP should be determined by the needs of 'most people', or the average consumer.

I disagree.

The features of the MBP should be determined by the pros whom the MBP is designed for. That's arguably why MBPs have FW 800 ports in the first place. Go to Best Buy or any consumer electronics store and count the number of devices that have FW 800 connections. You can do it on one hand. Yet it is a desirable connection for pros who use devices that aren't typically bought at Best and hence its inclusion on the MBP.

Its irrelevant to me if the average Joe on the street is or isn't buying BD when discussing the feature set of the MBP.
post #69 of 145
Quote:

Of course this is just my opinion like everyone else but Apple stands no chance of seeing 170 anytime soon. Apple could come out with the best products on earth and the simple fact is people are not spending. This is expected to be the worst holiday buying season in the past two decades.

Apple has never seen 250.00 I certainly don't expect it to see 250.00 with the world economy this bad.

Consumers simply are not thinking about buying ipods and macbooks.

Sadly, I'm in agreement. I'd say we'll be very lucky to see AAPL hit 170-180 in another 3 or 4 years.

The stock will remain in the doldrums for a long time, and if Jobs decides to hand over the reins to someone else, expect another long, long climb up.

I'd be the first to eat my hat if this market turns around quickly.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 145
Quote:

Also thanks for pointing that model put out to me- only $500 to add a blu-ray drive to it. Interesting not $1,000 as some self-annoited expert on here has claimed.

Assuming it's the pricier slot loading drive like Apple uses, it's not like Sony doesn't have a vested interest in pimping out BR possibly at a loss
post #71 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sadly, I'm in agreement. I'd say we'll be very lucky to see AAPL hit 170-180 in another 3 or 4 years.

The stock will remain in the doldrums for a long time, and if Jobs decides to hand over the reins to someone else, expect another long, long climb up.

I'd be the first to eat my hat if this market turns around quickly.

+++

Apple is trading around $93 as I write this. That's a PE of 18.

Hewlet Packard is trading around $37 with a PE of 11.

The downside risk for AAPL is probably 30-40 points.

Where's the upside?

I like Apple products but the stock...
post #72 of 145
Quote:

I agree with Teckstud here. And if the MBP needs a thicker enclosure to accommodate a tray drive then so be it.

That's not going to happen...

Quote:
Apple's most expensive and technologically advanced laptop should have the most advanced optical drive available as well.

Perhaps. Remember how long it took Apple to integrate CD-R into the iMac? Apple usually waits for technology - esp. non-critical technology like optical drive formats - to come down in price and become more ubiquitous.

Heck, with external USB hard drives as cheap as they are, the data storage arguments for BR are strained. Why would I want to pay a premium for an optical drive that holds a paltry amount of data (compared to a $42 extternal 60GB drive) and is orders of magnitude slower? Heck, for the price difference in that BR drive and the media costs for dual layer media I can easily have a handful of external USB drives and just rotate through them. As for a movie format, all five of you will just have to wait until the drives are more reasonable.

I'd wager more people are interested in an affordable mini-tower then give a rats patootie about BR
post #73 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Heck, with external USB hard drives as cheap as they are, the data storage arguments for BR are strained. Why would I want to pay a premium for an optical drive that holds a paltry amount of data (compared to a $42 extternal 60GB drive) and is orders of magnitude slower? Heck, for the price difference in that BR drive and the media costs for dual layer media I can easily have a handful of external USB drives and just rotate through them. As for a movie format, all five of you will just have to wait until the drives are more reasonable.

I'd wager more people are interested in an affordable mini-tower then give a rats patootie about BR

Pros don't use computers like you and I.

What about professional photographers who want to archive photos for a shoot in the field. Sure they can use DVDs but what if they need greater capacity? Remember they shoot lots of photos each day in a shoot and often use full frame cameras with 20+ megapixel resolutions.

What about video editors who shoot video in high def? How do they archive stuff in the filed quickly and cheaply? With multiple copies for more than one person?
post #74 of 145
Quote:

+++

Apple is trading around $93 as I write this. That's a PE of 18.

Hewlet Packard is trading around $37 with a PE of 11.

The downside risk for AAPL is probably 30-40 points.

Where's the upside?

I like Apple products but the stock...

Stocks are given PE's by the market for a reason - the multiple reflects the growth potential of profits. If a company is not growing profits, the PE will be low, as investors can only hope that steady profits produce dividends. Higher growth companies get higher PE ratios, because the "E" will be higher the next year. A PE of 18 for a company growing profits over 30% a year, and with continued prospects for higher growth is VERY conservative, and shows you just how bad the market is.

A PE of 11? While anything's possible, suggesting that the downside is to a PE of 11 and that there is no upside in sight is crazy. Even in a terrible market, some stocks do very well. Companies that can still grow in spite of bad economic conditions benefit from their stature and can rise very quickly. Whether Apple is one of those companies... we'll begin to see on Oct 31. But yes, there is plenty of upside to Apple, right here in this crappy market.
post #75 of 145
Quote:

What about professional photographers who want to archive photos for a shoot in the field. Sure they can use DVDs but what if they need greater capacity? Remember they shoot lots of photos each day in a shoot and often use full frame cameras with 20+ megapixel resolutions.

What about video editors who shoot video in high def? How do they archive stuff in the filed quickly and cheaply? With multiple copies for more than one person?

Typically pros are using external hard drives to store raw pictures and HD video. No one is looking to wait to burn GB's of data to a slow optical disc in the field. The next best solution for data storage in the field is solid state storage.

You are grasping at problems that no one is looking for BD to solve. Raw photos and video footage are not typically delt with this way in the field. Photos and video footage are edited down to the best pictures or best takes before copies are made and given out.
post #76 of 145
Quote:

I dunno - I generated 50GB+ of photo's when I was on a two week trip recently - I have a DSLR and shoot RAW+JPEG for maximum flexibility.

Quote:

That was me - I had copies on my laptop, a bus-powered USB hard drive and my iPod. Three copies. No need for optical media. Towards the end of my trip I stopped erasing my flash cards unless I really needed to - a fourth backup for some photos.

Quote:

Hard drives. Even with BR, HD video chews through space. Leo Laporte even admits that he records his show to a hard drive, and then just archives the hard drive and buys more as he need's 'em.

Heck, I picked up one of these for my church and three WD 1TB green hard drives. Rotate them out every week - I have two weeks off site and one week on site for backups. Blazing fast, hands off and dead simple to use. No worrying about data under runs when burning nor fragile writable optical disks getting scratches in storage.

Optical just isn't that compelling any more. A five pack of two layer BR disks averages $300 - that's about $60 a disk - hard drives already stomp all over that and flash is about double, but falling. In less then a year flash will more then likely pass BR on the price/capacity and it's speed compared to BR will really finish BR off.

BR is a flash in the pan.

And if you are serious about archiving, your doing magneto-optical anyway. It's proven archival quality technology - I have yet to see any validation for long term storage of BR (if you have something, that would be great!).
post #77 of 145
At about 2:50 ET, AAPL is up 6% to 94 while the Nasdaq is down 4.7%. AAPL's relative strength is superlative and suggestive of a jump to 100 once the overall market stabilizes, perhaps by Monday.
post #78 of 145
Quote:

Stocks are given PE's by the market for a reason - the multiple reflects the growth potential of profits. If a company is not growing profits, the PE will be low, as investors can only hope that steady profits produce dividends. Higher growth companies get higher PE ratios, because the "E" will be higher the next year. A PE of 18 for a company growing profits over 30% a year, and with continued prospects for higher growth is VERY conservative, and shows you just how bad the market is.

A PE of 11? While anything's possible, suggesting that the downside is to a PE of 11 and that there is no upside in sight is crazy. Even in a terrible market, some stocks do very well. Companies that can still grow in spite of bad economic conditions benefit from their stature and can rise very quickly. Whether Apple is one of those companies... we'll begin to see on Oct 31. But yes, there is plenty of upside to Apple, right here in this crappy market.

You know what, that's what makes markets. Different opinions. Perhaps you'll be right.

However HP is/was growing earnings 15-20% per year as well. I point this out to show that almost all other growth stocks have seen their grow rates discounted. Perhaps Apple will be able to sustain or grow its revenue during these challenging times. I doubt they will.

If they don't, look out below.
post #79 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I dunno - I generated 50GB+ of photo's when I was on a two week trip recently - I have a DSLR and shoot RAW+JPEG for maximum flexibility.

That was me - I had copies on my laptop, a bus-powered USB hard drive and my iPod. Three copies. No need for optical media. Towards the end of my trip I stopped erasing my flash cards unless I really needed to - a fourth backup for some photos.

Hard drives. Even with BR, HD video chews through space. Leo Laporte even admits that he records his show to a hard drive, and then just archives the hard drive and buys more as he need's 'em.

Heck, I picked up one of these for my church and three WD 1TB green hard drives. Rotate them out every week - I have two weeks off site and one week on site for backups. Blazing fast, hands off and dead simple to use. No worrying about data under runs when burning nor fragile writable optical disks getting scratches in storage.

Optical just isn't that compelling any more. A five pack of two layer BR disks averages $300 - that's about $60 a disk - hard drives already stomp all over that and flash is about double, but falling. In less then a year flash will more then likely pass BR on the price/capacity and it's speed compared to BR will really finish BR off.

BR is a flash in the pan.

And if you are serious about archiving, your doing magneto-optical anyway. It's proven archival quality technology - I have yet to see any validation for long term storage of BR (if you have something, that would be great!).

Many pros don't want to lug around all the extra HW you do when they are in the field. Opitcal is smaller than a HDD and cheaper. What if you want to make a copy to give to someone?
post #80 of 145
Quote:
Many pros don't want to lug around all the extra HW you do when they are in the field.

Huh? Your going to have to lug around something. Then again, with fast wireless data networks, you can just push your critical files into the cloud and skip local media altogether. I'd call this point a tie, at best.

Quote:
Opitcal is smaller than a HDD and cheaper.

I've linked to usb hard drives that are cheaper price per gigabyte then BR media (never mind the cost of the BR drive). A bus powered hard drive is the same size as a BR disk/case - and if you get into real data storage, a hard drive is far smaller then a stack of BR disks and the case to keep them from scratching and becoming worthless. I'd call this point a tie, at best.

Quote:
What if you want to make a copy to give to someone?

That's probably the only advantage of BR - but again it's rather moot - I shared copies of my trip pictures via my web site to fellow passengers on my cruise. For those that wanted large quantities, the handed me their flash drive and I copied the files over.

BR is a solution for a problem that is fast disappearing. It's days of usefulness are fast numbered and I think this is what Apple is watching/waiting for.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Piper Jaffray says new MacBooks could be priced from $899