or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Security Update 2008-007 for Mac OS X
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Security Update 2008-007 for Mac OS X

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Apple on Thursday afternoon released its seventh distinct security fix of the year for Mac OS X to tackle a number flaws, including one introduced with its 10.5.5 update.

Available for both Mac OS X Leopard (Client, Server) and Tiger (Intel Client, PowerPC Client, PowerPC Server), Security Update 2008-007 addresses a mixture of UNIX foundation and Mac-specific flaws.

Among the fixes is one for the launchd daemon that only affects Mac OS X 10.5.5. The particular implementation may sometimes fail to sandbox apps that want to be isolated from the system, potentially exposing them to attacks.

Other Mac-related problems mended in the were first discovered by outside security teams, including a remote CUPS printing exploit found by TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative as well as holes in ColorSync, Finder, general Mac OS X networking, PSNormalizer, QuickLook, root certificates, Script Editor and Weblog.

A pair of additional, special patches close vulnerabilities in the third-party ClamAV utility and allow a single sign-on with a password in a file, allowing scripts to use the sign-on feature without dropping security.

Solutions for UNIX flaws include updated versions of Apache, libxslt, MySQL Server, PHP, Postfix, rlogin, Tomcat and vim.
post #2 of 33
All of it looks good and important, but wow, it'd be super nice if they'd fix Time Machine.
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

All of it looks good and important, but wow, it'd be super nice if they'd fix Time Machine.

What a crock of nonsense.
post #4 of 33
I'd like them to fix the amount of time it takes to run "repair permissions" in 10.5.5. Maybe they did -- I haven't tried to run it yet. Between Tiger and Leopard (on my G5 iMac with max ram), it went from 5 minutes or so to 30 or more!
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

All of it looks good and important, but wow, it'd be super nice if they'd fix Time Machine.

What's wrong with Time Machine? It works beautifully for me. I used it just yesterday to restore a file that had been accidentally deleted. I love Time Machine and have had no problems with using it, in fact I think it's one of the best software applications ever!
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead View Post

What's wrong with Time Machine? It works beautifully for me. I used it just yesterday to restore a file that had been accidentally deleted. I love Time Machine and have had no problems with using it, in fact I think it's one of the best software applications ever!

I've had some issues with it when using FW and restarting the newest iMac. It prevents the iMac from starting up to the login screen. It could be the drivers of the external 2.5" HDD used, but I'd think that OS X could work its way around an external drive.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 33
TM is great conceptually, and if/when it works, but the program has serious known issues I won't hijack this thread with.

If you're interested, however, a search of Apple's Discussions site will show that the company is aware of the issues but is for whatever reason keeping them on the back burner. I'm not saying it ought to take precedence over security issues; I am just saying it would be nice to have TM fixed (because I like the program, too.) There are a lot of people who are unable, for all practical purposes, to rely on TM for backup.
post #8 of 33
Exactly. Searching Apple's forums would be a much more sensible reaction than the first response your post got.

There are plenty of bugs that I would like fixed with Leopard, that have already survived almost a year since release, some 3.5 years or more since the release of Tiger, which is not bad for bugs!

Assuming it is working for everyone because it is working for you is not a good reaction.

Good luck with TM. I use it sometimes but, while I haven't had problems thus far (have only gone back in time once or twice), I am much more comfortable relying on a solid directory structure that I have created on an external drive, and so that sits alongside TM's work.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had some issues with it when using FW and restarting the newest iMac. It prevents the iMac from starting up to the login screen. It could be the drivers of the external 2.5" HDD used, but I'd think that OS X could work its way around an external drive.

No problems here with Time Machine, 1TB MyBook/fw800 and the latest iMac 24" (Penryn). I just installed this security update and restarted without issues. The 1TB MyBook and Time Machine came up just peachy keen.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No problems here with Time Machine, 1TB MyBook/fw800 and the latest iMac 24" (Penryn). I just installed this security update and restarted without issues. The 1TB MyBook and Time Machine came up just peachy keen.

I never did troubleshoot the issue thotoughly, which is something I usually would have done had it been my Mac and not the one that I bought for my parents while visiting. Switching to USB worked so I took the lazy route.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

All of it looks good and important, but wow, it'd be super nice if they'd fix Time Machine.

Yes, I'm with you on that one. There's nothing major wrong with it (I hope), but every so often I get a message saying that the TM backup failed. No reason, no log, no clues, it just "failed". If I immediately set it going again manually, it works fine. The warning started showing up in 10.5.4 and is still there in 10.5.5.

I've recovered some files successfully - it's the ones I haven't tried to recover yet which concerns me.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

TM is great conceptually, and if/when it works, but the program has serious known issues I won't hijack this thread with.

If you're interested, however, a search of Apple's Discussions site will show that the company is aware of the issues but is for whatever reason keeping them on the back burner. I'm not saying it ought to take precedence over security issues; I am just saying it would be nice to have TM fixed (because I like the program, too.) There are a lot of people who are unable, for all practical purposes, to rely on TM for backup.

Well why should i be interested when I'm not experiencing any "serious known issues". Wouldn't you think that "serious known issues" would be affecting me too? And the standard "well, you're just one of the lucky ones" response doesn't cut it.

Just a crock of nonsense by people who can't figure out how to use their machine OR the whining of someone obsessed with the lack of some feature of little importance OR how some feature works that are blown into "serious known issues".

And to get back on topic I'm betting there are already posts on various forums that state...

"This security update killed my Mac!"

"Does Apple even test this stuff?!"

"We need a fix NOW Apple! This update is defective!"

"I have posted a ten page copy-paste of my frozen Mac's kernel panic and I want someone to analyze it for me."

"How do I remove this security update? It broke my Mac!"

"When we can expect a fix for this defective update? Way to go Apple!"

Of course these posts are out in force after every single update ever released by Apple, Inc. Every time an update is released I swear I will ignore the ignorant rants of the terminally clueless but I just can't. I need professional help. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi!

All your kernel panics are belong to us

Oh and these too..."I'm not seeing this update in Software Update. What's up Apple?" "I can't download this update" WTF?" "Can someone give the link to this update? I can't find it on Apple's website" and finally "What's a backup?"
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well why should i be interested when I'm not experiencing any "serious known issues". Wouldn't you think that "serious known issues" would be affecting me too? And the standard "well, you're just one of the lucky ones" response doesn't cut it.

Just a crock of nonsense by people who can't figure out how to use their machine OR the whining of someone obsessed with the lack of some feature of little importance OR how some feature works that are blown into "serious known issues".

I not-so-humbly suggest you at least invest a minute to figure out who you're attacking before you launch into your dismissive bullshit. I started four technology companies, was CEO of one of them, served as CTO of a state, created millions of dollars in shareholder, client, and employee wealth, and co-authored four technology patents.

I don't share this to be immodest; I share it in rebuke of your dismissal of my comments as a "crock of nonsense" by "people who can't figure out how to use their machine." In this context, your drivel rings completely hollow, illustrates the fact that you are probably struggling with a serious inferiority complex, and adds zero to the discussion here.

I suspect my post won't help what is likely your permanent disposition, but I simply couldn't let your bitterness go unchecked.

So anyway - yeah, the TM issues are probably just because I'm stupid. Eff yourself.
post #14 of 33
anybody actually do this security update and can tell me if there are any issues and/or improvements?
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

anybody actually do this security update and can tell me if there are any issues and/or improvements?

Yeah, me and a few million other users by now.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

I not-so-humbly suggest you at least invest a minute to figure out who you're attacking before you launch into your dismissive bullshit. I started four technology companies, was CEO of one of them, served as CTO of a state, created millions of dollars in shareholder, client, and employee wealth, and co-authored four technology patents.

And now you're a fashion photographer. Wow!
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

So anyway - yeah, the TM issues are probably just because I'm stupid.

If the shoe fits ...
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just a crock of nonsense by people who can't figure out how to use their machine OR the whining of someone obsessed with the lack of some feature of little importance OR how some feature works that are blown into "serious known issues".

How do you fit that ego of yours inside your head?

Odds are very high that when YOU have a problem with Leopard, it's very important. But everyone else's problems are "nonsense".

For example, we could not deploy Leopard until 10.5.5 because of bugs in all previous versions THAT APPLE ADMITTED that prevented them from being bound to large Active Directory implementations of mixed Microsoft Windows versions. I'm sure you call this "nonsense" or somehow "of little importance" but it kept 125 users in my company from getting their new Macs for months.

Please pipe down and stop telling others that their problems are insignificant because they're not your problems.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And now you're a fashion photographer. Wow!

Yes, that's right. Among many other things. And your point??

I'm sorry I took your bait. Onward.

[And to everyone else: sorry you had to deal with my outburst.]
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

I not-so-humbly suggest you at least invest a minute to figure out who you're attacking before you launch into your dismissive bullshit. I started four technology companies, was CEO of one of them, served as CTO of a state, created millions of dollars in shareholder, client, and employee wealth, and co-authored four technology patents.

I don't share this to be immodest; I share it in rebuke of your dismissal of my comments as a "crock of nonsense" by "people who can't figure out how to use their machine." In this context, your drivel rings completely hollow, illustrates the fact that you are probably struggling with a serious inferiority complex, and adds zero to the discussion here.

I suspect my post won't help what is likely your permanent disposition, but I simply couldn't let your bitterness go unchecked.

So anyway - yeah, the TM issues are probably just because I'm stupid. Eff yourself.

I vote it wasn't the stupidity, but the arrogance.

Oh and don't just say ... problems, or fix ... If you have a beef be specific or it appears to the world you are just a whiner. But I would have thought someone with your supposed tech chops would know that already.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had some issues with it when using FW and restarting the newest iMac. It prevents the iMac from starting up to the login screen. It could be the drivers of the external 2.5" HDD used, but I'd think that OS X could work its way around an external drive.

After a few issues with externals I bit the bullet and popped a 1 TB internal in my Mac Pro and dedicated it to TM using it for backing up the 500 MB boot drive. I have to say it has been great and the speed increase over an external is significant, no more sensing the slow down.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #22 of 33
Wow, Apple releases a security update and the best we can do is talk about TM, a non-security issue. Sorry it's not working out for everybody but there are plenty of threads already dedicated to this like Apple's forums and Macrumors.com

Anyway the security update worked just fine on my Intel MacBook running Leopard. I'm just glad Apple is hard at work keeping it's Mac users safe.
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Reply
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Reply
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday afternoon released its seventh distinct security fix of the year for Mac OS X to tackle a number flaws, including one introduced with its 10.5.5 update.

Security updates tend to be boring . . . that's why we post about Time Machine!

Mine works fine, by the way. If I do get a random backup failure, I chalk it up
to alien transmissions interfering with the WiFi signal to/from my Time Capsule, and
sure enough, when the transmissions calm down, the next backup works fine.

Of course, I firmly believe in keeping eggs in multiple baskets, so there's a USB
drive in the safe that gets a complete, bootable, SuperDuper! backup from time to
time.

Wait a second, what was this thread about . . . ?
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Security updates tend to be boring . . . that's why we post about Time Machine!

Mine works fine, by the way. If I do get a random backup failure, I chalk it up
to alien transmissions interfering with the WiFi signal to/from my Time Capsule, and
sure enough, when the transmissions calm down, the next backup works fine.

Of course, I firmly believe in keeping eggs in multiple baskets, so there's a USB
drive in the safe that gets a complete, bootable, SuperDuper! backup from time to
time.

Wait a second, what was this thread about . . . ?

I thought it was TM lol

I am with you on TM + another, although I prefer CCC to Super Duper but that's just personal.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #25 of 33
Good job by Apple for actually explaining what the updates fix! I've been getting annoyed with them for just saying "it fixes stuff" for the previous two years I've owned Macs. Nice to see them finally explain some defects.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

After a few issues with externals I bit the bullet and popped a 1 TB internal in my Mac Pro and dedicated it to TM using it for backing up the 500 MB boot drive. I have to say it has been great and the speed increase over an external is significant, no more sensing the slow down.

I'd love to have a Mac Pro, but I'm way too peripatetic to warrant the purchase, so I'm stuck with external drives. Having a secondary HDD in a MBP would be ideal for me, but I am sure the market is too small or that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 33
Did this update effect printers?
post #28 of 33
Hi to all Amazing Mac Users.

Is anyone experiencing problems after this security update?

I have a MB Pro Dec 07 running Leopard - never had a glitch, since this update this morning however, Spaces and Expose behaves strangely and not quite right...

I wonder if anyone got this problem? How can I report it to Apple?

Thanks

Principe
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well why should i be interested when I'm not experiencing any "serious known issues". Wouldn't you think that "serious known issues" would be affecting me too? And the standard "well, you're just one of the lucky ones" response doesn't cut it.

I wish that I could killfile fools like you.
post #30 of 33
since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.

Repair the disc.
Reinstall the update.
Revert from earlier TM backup.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.

Hey mate, stop installing crapware and hackware - and you won't have that problem.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Hey mate, stop installing crapware and hackware - and you won't have that problem.

why would you call Apple's update crapware? Anyway, my system is pretty close to pristine and there is very little crapware or hackware for OS X. It just boots like crapware after Apple's update.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Security Update 2008-007 for Mac OS X