or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple install guide slips out new MacBook, MacBook Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple install guide slips out new MacBook, MacBook Pro

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
An Apple support file unearthed on the weekend confirms that at least two portables will get an update in short order.

The repair guide (PDF), which instructs technicians how to replace an AirPort Extreme card, is described as applying equally to "Late 2008" MacBook and MacBook Pro systems.

The premature posting found by readers doesn't reveal much of the hardware design. However, it does confirm that both the mainstream and pro notebooks will share the same core platform and that the MacBook Air's design requires a different approach.

It also indicates that Apple will continue to use a discrete AirPort card rather than building it into the mainboard.

Apple is poised to introduce the new systems next week at its notebook event and should bring with them a new NVIDIA-based platform; the similarity in maintenance lends support to beliefs that the change will not only apply to the 13-inch MacBook but to MacBook Pros as well.

post #2 of 35
Deliberate leak.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 35
They go through all this trouble shrinking things. They switch to the nvidia chipset, because it needs only one chip. And then they don't integrate airport onto the logicboard? How odd.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also indicates that Apple will continue to use a discrete AirPort card rather than building it into the mainboard.

I thought the Airport Extreme card has always been on a separate daughter card in the MBP so I don't see how the lack of change is noteworthy. It makes more sense to keep it separate anyways so that a defect Airport Extreme card can be swapped out without having to replace the whole motherboard. It probably reduces electrical interference and propagation too.
post #5 of 35
I wish that the author of these articles, Aiden Malley, would stop referring to the new Macbooks as an "Nvidia-based platform". As long as these computers continue to use Intel main processors, it is simply misleading, to the point of asinine absurdity, to refer to the platform as "Nvidia-based", and this observation is true notwithstanding the de facto meaning of the word "chipset". This style of writing, whereby the author displays a gross lack of basic communicative sense, is commonplace among people who write these sorts of articles for Web sites such as this one. But just because it is commonplace does not make it okay. It simply does not make a whit of sense to refer to these computers, which use Intel processors, as "Nvidia-based platforms". Anyone whose communicative skills are as poor as this has no business even writing a personal blog.
post #6 of 35
I hope we see some native (hardware) support for disk encryption. This feature could be used to great advantage to differentiate the MB from MBP.

Re: "nVIDIA-based platform", I would add that creating public animosity towards Intel or any other hardware manufacturer or rubbing their noses in a lost market opportunity is not helpful or important.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I wish that the author of these articles, Aiden Malley, would stop referring to the new Macbooks as an "Nvidia-based platform". As long as these computers continue to use Intel main processors, it is simply misleading, to the point of asinine absurdity, to refer to the platform as "Nvidia-based", and this observation is true notwithstanding the de facto meaning of the word "chipset". This style of writing, whereby the author displays a gross lack of basic communicative sense, is commonplace among people who write these sorts of articles for Web sites such as this one. But just because it is commonplace does not make it okay. It simply does not make a whit of sense to refer to these computers, which use Intel processors, as "Nvidia-based platforms". Anyone whose communicative skills are as poor as this has no business even writing a personal blog.

I agree. Apple Insider in particular has a general issue with making every article over pretentious. E.g. insisting on using "The Cupertino-based company" repeatedly and making mistakes (like the one here) for the sake of sounding clever. The result is hard to read and overly verbose.
post #8 of 35
Adding to the other rubbish in this article the linked repair guide is on how to replace a display and a reminder to add the AirPort antenna.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I thought the Airport Extreme card has always been on a separate daughter card in the MBP so I don't see how the lack of change is noteworthy.

If I recall correctly, Apple has never used Intel's Centrino option. But I wonder if this removable WiFi card could mean that you'll have an option to use a proprietary 802.11n with the option to buy a '3G' HSUPA or '3G' CDMA2000 card (and/or perhaps WiMAX) for your next Mac notebook.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I wish that the author of these articles, Aiden Malley, would stop referring to the new Macbooks as an "Nvidia-based platform". As long as these computers continue to use Intel main processors, it is simply misleading, to the point of asinine absurdity, to refer to the platform as "Nvidia-based", and this observation is true notwithstanding the de facto meaning of the word "chipset". This style of writing, whereby the author displays a gross lack of basic communicative sense, is commonplace among people who write these sorts of articles for Web sites such as this one. But just because it is commonplace does not make it okay. It simply does not make a whit of sense to refer to these computers, which use Intel processors, as "Nvidia-based platforms". Anyone whose communicative skills are as poor as this has no business even writing a personal blog.

It is not misleading at all, but quite proper and the common industry term. What rock did you crawl our from under. The chipset is the platform. You can put an AMD processor in an Intel based chipset or a Via Based chipset, etc. It certainly doesn't make it an AMD based platform.

You can crawl back under your rock now...
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

They go through all this trouble shrinking things. They switch to the nvidia chipset, because it needs only one chip. And then they don't integrate airport onto the logicboard? How odd.

It makes upgrading easier though doesn't it.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I wish that the author of these articles, Aiden Malley, would stop referring to the new Macbooks as an "Nvidia-based platform". As long as these computers continue to use Intel main processors, it is simply misleading, to the point of asinine absurdity, to refer to the platform as "Nvidia-based", and this observation is true notwithstanding the de facto meaning of the word "chipset". This style of writing, whereby the author displays a gross lack of basic communicative sense, is commonplace among people who write these sorts of articles for Web sites such as this one. But just because it is commonplace does not make it okay. It simply does not make a whit of sense to refer to these computers, which use Intel processors, as "Nvidia-based platforms". Anyone whose communicative skills are as poor as this has no business even writing a personal blog.

I didn't realize this was a "computers for dummies" site.

If the Macbooks use an Nvidia chipset, it IS an Nvidia based platform. The most important parts of the computer are supplied by Nvidia. Compared to the chipset, the processor plays only a small part in total reliability and performance of the computer.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

They go through all this trouble shrinking things. They switch to the nvidia chipset, because it needs only one chip. And then they don't integrate airport onto the logicboard? How odd.

Better Airport performance, perhaps? Particularly if the LCD unit winds up being plastic encased.
post #14 of 35
does no one care that the link is dead to the repair manual? is there a mirror please? thanks.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

does no one care that the link is dead to the repair manual? is there a mirror please? thanks.

No one cares probably because this is not really news at this point. Yes there are new Macbooks coming this year, which is all the news suggests. It says nothing about what might happen this week anyway.
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

Adding to the other rubbish in this article the linked repair guide is on how to replace a display and a reminder to add the AirPort antenna.

Not quite. It says to "...install the AirPort card on the display assembly," which is odd. Current AirPort cards are in the lower case. If accurate, this seems to say that the card itself is in the display, perhaps to improve antenna performance.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

does no one care that the link is dead to the repair manual? is there a mirror please? thanks.

Tell me about it.

Herein lies the fundamental difference between a PC tweaker, OSX86 Mac builder, over clocker versus your my mac nots working what's the difference between memory and hard drive memory (seriously, I worked for Apple once and you would be surprised at how educated the user is (college) yet very computer illiterate as a PC user would have saved this instantly and it would be mirrored everywhere.

I once had a woman when I was doing Creative work when it used to be PRO USERS (now it's all iLife) and had to show her more than 4 times how to attach a document, others didn't know the difference between a mail client (Mac Mail) or checking online let alone they if they had Charter, Earthlink ISP that they could have 10+ emails.

Not sure why, but Mac users tend to be very non technical whereas your average 12 year old PC user can probably run circles around a Mac Genius as they, for the most part, send out the products do get fixed anyway.
LOL.

Just ribbing, but seriously, know one looked at it and saved it, cached it, FTP it somewhere? Geesh.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Not quite. It says to "...install the AirPort card on the display assembly," which is odd. Current AirPort cards are in the lower case. If accurate, this seems to say that the card itself is in the display, perhaps to improve antenna performance.

Laptop wireless cards have an antenna that runs from the card itself all the way around the rim of the monitor, so putting the card into the screen would not improve antenna performance. I don't think that's what this is suggesting anyway, though.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No one cares probably because this is not really news at this point. Yes there are new Macbooks coming this year, which is all the news suggests. It says nothing about what might happen this week anyway.

If Apple misses the boat again and there is no dedicated GPU on at least mid range, or current macbooks, Apple just doesn't get it and will be hurt in the long run.

Think about this.

Apple had the on-board go from 70% OPEN GL test to 171% with LEOPARD then they crippled it and now its 70% again!

Why?


Why?


Why?

Becuase 1% of the market, the PRO, were buying it and using it for motion.

HELLO! If you release a GPU dedicated you get gamers and therefore more sales that will far out weigh the PRO USER (1%) by 100 FOLD.

Again, Apple's Marketing department needs to grow some and tell Steve like it is and tell him, "look Steve, we know you're paranoid about the Pro using the low end model but we've discovered the Pro will always buy the high end quad/eight core machines and if they buy a low end, so what, the gamer and high school, college crowd will far out sell any Pro user that uses the low end, so the numbers speak for themselves and you have to get over it, okay Steve, Steve, you okay, Steve?"

Really.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I once had a woman when I was doing Creative work when it used to be PRO USERS (now it's all iLife) and had to show her more than 4 times how to attach a document, others didn't know the difference between a mail client (Mac Mail) or checking online let alone they if they had Charter, Earthlink ISP that they could have 10+ emails.

Not sure why, but Mac users tend to be very non technical whereas your average 12 year old PC user can probably run circles around a Mac Genius as they, for the most part, send out the products do get fixed anyway.

Nope, I support these people (Mac and PC) and they're all equally bad. Most don't know what a web browser is, I have to tell them to click the big blue E.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Deliberate leak.

I had the same first impression. Disinformation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by artse View Post

It is not misleading at all, but quite proper and the common industry term. What rock did you crawl our from under. The chipset is the platform. You can put an AMD processor in an Intel based chipset or a Via Based chipset, etc. It certainly doesn't make it an AMD based platform.

You can crawl back under your rock now...

Personal attack much?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personal attack much?

You wouldn't call kaiser_soze post an attack on the author!
post #24 of 35
Well the file's gone, anyone got a mirror?
post #25 of 35
the image looks like it was drawn by a preschooler. what part of the computer is that supposed to look like?
post #26 of 35
Damn... Apple took the file down... can anyone mirror it, please?
We'd be very grateful if someone could please take the time to upload it to a file sharing sever, perhaps?

Thanks!
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Tell me about it.

Herein lies the fundamental difference between a PC tweaker, OSX86 Mac builder, over clocker versus your my mac nots working what's the difference between memory and hard drive memory (seriously, I worked for Apple once and you would be surprised at how educated the user is (college) yet very computer illiterate as a PC user would have saved this instantly and it would be mirrored everywhere.

I once had a woman when I was doing Creative work when it used to be PRO USERS (now it's all iLife) and had to show her more than 4 times how to attach a document, others didn't know the difference between a mail client (Mac Mail) or checking online let alone they if they had Charter, Earthlink ISP that they could have 10+ emails.

Not sure why, but Mac users tend to be very non technical whereas your average 12 year old PC user can probably run circles around a Mac Genius as they, for the most part, send out the products do get fixed anyway.
LOL.

Just ribbing, but seriously, know one looked at it and saved it, cached it, FTP it somewhere? Geesh.

totally agree with you there...
PC users are more computer smart because windows is harder to work with so the user will learn how to use a computer.

apple makes it to easy for everyone else so they don't learn and think it's smart to take their computer to a so call "Genius" that just tells them your computer needs to get fixed, pay this amount.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiller View Post

Damn... Apple took the file down... can anyone mirror it, please?
We'd be very grateful if someone could please take the time to upload it to a file sharing sever, perhaps?

Thanks!

Macrumors has a screenshot.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Well the file's gone, anyone got a mirror?

http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawar...073-1223-A.pdf
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Macrumors has a screenshot.

If this is true, then there are some ideas that need to be discussed.

Why would Apple move back to a removable WiFi card when WiFi has become a necessary staple of all notebook computers?

Could this mean that Apple will be supporting UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) for T-Mobile/AT&T or CDMA2000 for Sprint/Verizon but the purchase and installation of mobile cellular data based on individual needs?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...Could this mean that Apple will be supporting UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA) for T-Mobile/AT&T or CDMA2000 for Sprint/Verizon but the purchase and installation of mobile cellular data based on individual needs?

Nice catch. You just blew my mind. ... Even in a still-developing country like Malaysia, I can get HSDPA 2.0Mbit/sec when I tether through my iPhone 3G. A built in 3G thingy into the MacBook, just whack in a 3G card, will be big GLOBALLY. Not saying it's going to be there straight away, but if the architecture is geared for better cellular/GSM/3G/4G/whatever integration, going into 2009, might be interesting...
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I didn't realize this was a "computers for dummies" site.

If the Macbooks use an Nvidia chipset, it IS an Nvidia based platform. The most important parts of the computer are supplied by Nvidia. Compared to the chipset, the processor plays only a small part in total reliability and performance of the computer.

At the end of the day, it's a huge marketing win for Nvidia. General terminology practice means that most people will refer to it as "Nvidia-platform" Macs. Intel must not be impressed with Apple right now. There should be an AppleInsider article: "Where did Intel go wrong?" or something suitably sensationalist touting Nvidia will soon make their own CPUs or something.
post #33 of 35
Apple comes out with new machines every 12 to 18 months, what's the big deal here? I just don't get it.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Apple comes out with new machines every 12 to 18 months, what's the big deal here? I just don't get it.

Apple's histrory shwos that they come out with new machines almost twice a year.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Laptop wireless cards have an antenna that runs from the card itself all the way around the rim of the monitor, so putting the card into the screen would not improve antenna performance.

I'm aware of that. However the card's location imposes practical limits on antenna routing.

Quote:
I don't think that's what this is suggesting anyway, though.

The instruction isn't suggesting anything, it's clearly telling the tech to install the card in the display. This is reconfirmed when it says that "The display assembly does not come with the AirPort card installed."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple install guide slips out new MacBook, MacBook Pro