or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook - Page 4

post #121 of 518
I'm still having trouble understanding how Apple could remove target disk mode and, in doing so, cripple their migration manager.

Buying a new Mac was always a joy because it was so easy to get back up and running with all your applications and files in the correct place. Now what are we supposed to do?

I was going to buy my wife a new MacBook for Christmas. You just lost a sale.
post #122 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No FireWire, no sale. What a mistake. When you go on vacation, you take your laptop. You also take your MiniDV camera too. Now with the new MacBook, you cannot import video while on vacation. Why waste money on two USB ports? There should have been one USB, one FireWire. If you want more devices, buy a damn hub!

They always find ways to cut features that people still use! They learned their mistake when they cut the Audio In years ago, and that returned in a later model. So maybe Apple will realize their mistake once again.

Panasonic HD cameras with USB port

JVC HD cameras with USB port
post #123 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I really can't see the point in making the MB and MBP look identical. Why not just introduce a 13" MBP instead and adopt a different styling for the MB - preferably with some colour options.

I couldn't agree more. Apple should have just called the 13" MB a MBP because its price is darn high.

Apple should have then kept the plastic MB and left it alone, except boosted its specs and lowered its prices from 899-1049 for different models.

Also, I fully disagree that this is the "new 12" PowerBook." The size of this thing is still wider and deeper than the 12" PowerBook.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #124 of 518
[QUOTE=Zauner;1323107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

So it's true, the $1299 and $1599 MacBooks don't have any FireWire. That is a complete rip-off at that price-point. Many older Mac users who want to trade in their Apple notebook and who have FireWire peripherals won't be able to buy a cheap Mac notebook newer style.

Exacly...what am I gonna do with my 2,5" firewire external harddisks? Block both USB ports with an Y-cable???

The price and design show the new macbooks as Mac Book Pros - just with left out ports. Where's the Macbook for the masses, the world's most wanted cook Macbook?

Ah, just buy the 999 plastic book?? At least it's got firewire...and..I'm sure a combo drive...

Actually, Steve forgot to cock that one up somehow... the $999 MB comes with a SuperDrive now.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #125 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Apple is pedaling the MacBook as just like the Pro, but smaller and $700 cheaper. But it doesn't have Firewire, or the option for a 7200RPM drive, so even with that extra graphics power the machine still isn't suitable for multimedia work. Not to mention they actually downgraded the processor. And the $999 plastic MacBook should sell for $799.

Based on the syntax of your composition, you ar saying that Apple "downgraded" the CPU on the new MB, and this is simply untrue.
post #126 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm still having trouble understanding how Apple could remove target disk mode and, in doing so, cripple their migration manager.

Supposedly with the AIR it works over ethernet. I assume with other machines with no FW it would work the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Based on the syntax of your composition, you ar saying that Apple "downgraded" the CPU on the new MB, and this is simply untrue.

It is a lower clock speed, isn't it? There's no question some people will consider that a downgrade.

Is it a different chip architecture or does it have some other way of the CPU being faster at a lower clock?
post #127 of 518
The backlit keyboard does show as an option to choose in the dropdown for purchasing the unit for the 1300 version of the macbook.

that's all.
post #128 of 518
well, if you don't want to call it downgrade...well....status quo? Cause it's definately no upgrade. The small macbook got a downgrade at 2.0 Ghz.

And...status quo...IS a downgrade in IT industry, by the way...
post #129 of 518
Quote:

The low-end new macbook (or the middle range macbook now) has a 2.0ghz processor for $1350 or so. The OLD mid-range macbook had a 2.4ghz processor for $1250. His statement is therefore completely correct. What exactly are YOU referring to?
post #130 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Confirmed!!! (Always wanted to do that)

According to Apple, it only comes on the $1600 model.

The store shows that both aluminum Macbook models ($1299 and $1599) get the backlit keyboard. (It's at odds with the tech specs page.)
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #131 of 518
it's kind of the same C2D processor. So it's a downgrade. No matter if it got a faster graphics chip.

First processor downgrade in history
post #132 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

The more I look at this the more angry I get.

I am really, really disgusted with Apple. I rue the day that I bought Apple stock, and if there were a shareholder vote on whether to fire Jobs, I would not hesitate to fire him. This is all screwed up. It should have been about the reduction of the manufacturing cost so that MacBooks could be cost competitive with other notebook computers, and instead what they did was to substantially increase the manufacturing cost by requireing the chassis to be cut out on ultra expensive CNC machinery. It is utterly asinine.

I don't understand why BMW doesn't just use Kia components to become more cost competitive. BMW would be way cheaper if they used flimsy, outdated parts and ugly designs. Why don't we also fire BMW's management. Who cares if they are profitable, you and I know better. We can easily outsmart the management of BMW and Apple. Shall we start tomorrow?
post #133 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickd View Post

Does anyone know if you can buy a 320 GB HD from toshiba for $75.00 and just install it yourself instead of spending $200.00 for it through the apple store?

Yes you can, I just bought a 320 Gb drive for my Black MacBook (with Firewire ;-p ). It works great.

What happened to all the Mac Fanboys? Apple can do no wrong, right?!

That nice new Lenovo IdeaPad S10 at $399 looks better and better everyday. I have a nice powerful Mac desktop at home, don't need an overpriced laptop for traveling...

Anyone want to buy my MacBook? $1300 firm
post #134 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I did check the chart - at most AAPL was only down about 3% more than the dow, as I said a couple of points. I guess we just don't agree whether three percent is "quite a bit more".

Sigh... don't know why you keep on minimizing this... incorrectly too.

AAPL closed down 5.60% today. The market as a whole closed down 0.82%. The difference was close to 5%... not "3%"... and not a "couple of points". Another way to look at it is that AAPL dropped almost seven times more than the market as a whole, percentage-wise.

So, let's just face it, the market did not like what they heard.

Quote:
People always try to insist that the stock price somehow "proves" that the market hates apple's new announcements, and today sure looks like one of the times there's no real evidence for it - apple generally went up when the market went up and down when the market went down.

Except that AAPL went down quite a bit more than the market did, post-announcement. And 'people' are often right.

Don't get me wrong, minder... I really wanted to love the new announcements, I really did. But Steve cocked it up. No FW, and only a token toe-dipping into the sub-$1K market via the old model. Kinda sad.

At least they finally put SuperDrives in across the lineup.

post #135 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

The store shows that both aluminum Macbook models ($1299 and $1599) get the backlit keyboard.

There is conflicting info on different parts of Apple's website. I'll bet only the pricier model has backlit keys.
post #136 of 518
Quote:

The store shows that both aluminum Macbook models ($1299 and $1599) get the backlit keyboard.

According to the online spec sheets, there are separate keyboard descriptions for the 2.0ghz and 2.4ghz versions. One includes the word "illuminated" and one does not. There must be some truth to that.
post #137 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

it's kind of the same C2D processor. So it's a downgrade. No matter if it got a faster graphics chip.

First processor downgrade in history

Nah, apple has done similar things before.
post #138 of 518
when is rev b supposed to come out? these are not that enticing as of now. I'm not so sure what to do anymore\
post #139 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Sigh... don't know why you keep on minimizing this... incorrectly too.

AAPL closed down 5.60% today. The market as a whole closed down 0.82%. The difference was close to 5%... not "3%"... and not a "couple of points".

Just face it, the market did not like what they heard.

You must have been born yesterday.

For the last 20 product introductions (often of industry-leading, immensely profitable new produts) the AAPL stock price usually went down.

AAPL still made money. Will they keep making large buckets of profits on the Macbook franchise, yes dear, they will.
post #140 of 518
Quote:

The store shows that both aluminum Macbook models ($1299 and $1599) get the backlit keyboard. (It's at odds with the tech specs page.)

That's probably just a mistake. Depending on your country it's fixed by now and the cheaper model comes without(even the option to upgrade) backlit keyboard.
post #141 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

According to the online spec sheets, there are separate keyboard descriptions for the 2.0ghz and 2.4ghz versions. One includes the word "illuminated" and one does not. There must be some truth to that.

My post was amended to show that the store, and specs page are not in agreement.
post #142 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

NO Firewire on MacBook, NO PURCHASE!

Totally agree. I was excited to hear about the new enclosure, but without Firewire, this is a downgrade from my existing MacBook. So, thanks Apple, but no-thanks.
post #143 of 518
This is a disaster. I could get used to the "shiny" screen, which is unsuitable for portables and using it in the "open air", and which i dislike because of its reflections,
but no FireWire!? i have LaCie FireWire Speakers, and although my external hard drive supports USB, i always like to use it as FireWire(400/800), beacuse USB is used anyway for other things like usb stick, keyboard/mouse and so on. But Apple makes this great and fast machine, and instead of upgrading FW400 through adding FW800, it totally drops it-its own invention!?
i really like the specs and graphics of the laptop, but as much as this i miss FW800.
post #144 of 518
People,

I'm new, long time mac user, but have been reading for awhile. If you really want to see your complaints go to good use, and want do see change, then go here (someone else already suggested, but nothing really was done):

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Make an official complaint, and I can promise you that if enough of us do it, apple will listen - and HOPEFULLY change prices and problems!

Please please please do it! Complain about whatever you want - just make sure you include the crappy prices!

Thanks!
post #145 of 518
I'm more pissed off that I have to buy an adapter to connect the computer up to my LCD. I really don't use firewire on a regular basis anyways, but the higher price-point is a huge let down nonetheless.

The education discount is basically nothing too, they give me $50 off, wow.
post #146 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-iNC View Post

That's probably just a mistake. Depending on your country it's fixed by now and the cheaper model comes without(even the option to upgrade) backlit keyboard.

Indeed, and I'm quite pleased about this. One OPTION that we still have. I'd rather have the laptop's F-keys freed up for Exposé than, in my usage, the gimmicky backlit keyboard.
post #147 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Totally agree. I was excited to hear about the new enclosure, but without Firewire, this is a downgrade from my existing MacBook. So, thanks Apple, but no-thanks.

Apple is just ignoring thousands of MacBook(and other Mac-) users who have lots of FireWire equipment around. New buyers may not miss the FireWire, but what about the current Mac-users? To buy a MacBook Pro just because of FW-interface is not a solution. I dont want to spend so much money, i i want a small notebook, and i dont need 15" screen because my main screen is 24" Cinema -which btw. supports FW400.
post #148 of 518
Quote:

AAPL closed down 5.60% today.

To be clear, my original post was hours ago and at that point Apple was moving the same direction as the markets and only a couple points lower. And the NASDAQ, which is more tech centric, was down 3.5%, which is within about two points of apple's drop.

I thought the announcements today were pretty lousy. But I just think people often take the stock price out of context to try and prove their point.
post #149 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

You must have been born yesterday.

For the last 20 product introductions (often of industry-leading, immensely profitable new produts) the AAPL stock price usually went down.

You mean like after the iPhone was announced at MW '07? Stock shot up quite a lot, actually.

Stop being a fanboy.

post #150 of 518
I have no idea how Apple describe in their US online store since it's always "We will be back soon", but in the Norwegian store, it is stated that only the $1599 has illuminated keyboard.

There are also someone wondering why the price of the white MacBook has increased in the UK store, but it's not the case in Norway. It is not $200 cheaper though. It's just $14 cheaper than before, but at least not any more expensive. I used to reckon the price is the same across Europe, but it seems not to be that case.

I didn't put my money on them lowering the price, but not raising the price either. If I did not receive something extra that will cover this raised cost, I will most likely have ordered the white MacBook. I am still a bit let down by the price raise though.

As for the missing Firewire in the new MacBook, I don't think the vast majority will miss it, even though it is a deal-breaker for the prosumers.
post #151 of 518
Quote:

I thought the announcements today were pretty lousy. But I just think people often take the stock price out of context to try and prove their point.

My main point was that the announcements today were, as you said, pretty lousy, and that investors in general viewed them as pretty lousy too.

So basically, all of us are in agreement.

post #152 of 518
WOOPS!

just send negative feedback here please!

together we can make a difference! all fanboy/rumor sites need to encourage users to send feedback here... change will happen!!!
post #153 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchleeh View Post

People,

I'm new, long time mac user, but have been reading for awhile. If you really want to see your complaints go to good use, and want do see change, then go here (someone else already suggested, but nothing really was done):

Make an official complaint, and I can promise you that if enough of us do it, apple will listen - and HOPEFULLY change prices and problems!

Please please please do it! Complain about whatever you want - just make sure you include the crappy prices!

EXCELLENT idea!

I'd ALSO recommend sending a few emails to sjobs@apple.com

post #154 of 518
Quote:

Also, I fully disagree that this is the "new 12" PowerBook." The size of this thing is still wider and deeper than the 12" PowerBook.

Of course it is wider, It's using a 13" screen. I said that this is the most complete successor to the 12" Powerbook Apple has made so far. The old MacBooks were larger and heavier with no real graphics card and the Air is positioned for a different market. This is aluminum with a discreet graphics card (albeit with shared memory) and it weighs well under 5lbs. It doesn't have an expresscard slot, but neither did the 12" Powerbook. Until today, I was prepared to go out and buy a Sony 13" notebook because nothing Apple made appealed to me. This does virtually everything I want (well, I wanted BluRay, but I can wait for that) at over a grand less.
post #155 of 518
Quote:

My main point was that the announcements today were, as you said, pretty lousy, and that investors in general viewed them as pretty lousy too.

So basically, all of us are in agreement.

The first half I agree with, the second half not really.
post #156 of 518
thank you thank you... it will work if we can just get momentum.

mr steve will listen to us... this is an outrage.

or alternatively, just don't buy. that would work too.

who is with me?
post #157 of 518
Quote:

The first half I agree with, the second half not really.

I would've thought that it would've been obvious given how AAPL started its dive at the same time as the announcement, and went down significantly more than the market as a whole, but ppl see what they want to see I guess.

post #158 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchleeh View Post

thank you thank you... it will work if we can just get momentum.

mr steve will listen to us... this is an outrage.

or alternatively, just don't buy. that would work too.

who is with me?

post #159 of 518
Quote:

I would've thought that it would've been obvious given how AAPL started its dive at the same time as the announcement, and went down significantly more than the market as a whole, but ppl see what they want to see I guess.

And I would have thought it would have been obvious that the averages started their dive at the same time as AAPL's dive. And I don't think most people would consider a 2-4 point difference significantly more.

But whatever, as you said, people see what they want to see.
post #160 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

You should never take rumors as fact. The economic crisis that we're in now did not exist a year ago when these models were being designed. Bad timing? Maybe. Crazy? No. The next time around, the $999 Macbook will be of the new design and the price points will end up being lower anyway.

I am a bit saddened about the lack of firewire (casualty of putting all the ports on the left), but not enough to refuse to buy it. A 15 inch macbook model would make more sense than the 13 inch $1599 model though. Something needs to bridge the huge gap between the consumer and pro laptop lines. Oh, and Apple could have inexpensively bumped the RAM in the entry Macbook model to 2GB.

Yup, I was waiting for a slightly larger macbook. Apple is the only computer maker without a 15 inch consumer model laptop. I want to use it as a main computer and 13 inches is just too small and $2000 for a macbook Pro is just too much.
I keep looking for ways to spend money on a new computer but Apple just refuses to take my money.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook