or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook - Page 9

post #321 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is the kind of ham-fisted nonsense that Apple could have easily prevented.

If Firewire is done as a mass consumer interface, just say so.
If the interface was left off until the new 3200 standard is ready, just say so.
If it will remain on all desktops and just high end laptops, just say so.
If a USB version of Target Disk mode is in development, just say so.

The guessing game is going to hurt more than anything.
Apple just basically killed the consumer Firewire peripherals market.

I can agree Apples silence in such cases can be counterproductive and frustrating.

Quote:
If they had replaced Firewire's usefulness with USB3, then that would be one thing.
But to switch the most useful interface with a lesser quality one - and then ask for a premium price - is ridiculous.

The expensive CPU and chipset is what accounts for most of the price of the MacBook.
post #322 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Don't know about noticeable difference, but the fact that the price difference between the 2 processors to a company buying in Apple's volume is only $20, and the fact the backlit keyboard can't be more than $15 extra, HD difference not more than $10, should be enough to anyone not drinking the koolaid to deter them from not falling into this trap.

Sure Apple should be making money, but $300 on $45 worth of upgrades? C'mon $150 would have been fine, Apple could have made a 200+% profit on these 3 little bumps, but $300 is pretty much asinine.

Apple charged more for the black Macbook simply because it was black and people bought them.
post #323 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The guessing game is going to hurt more than anything.
Apple just basically killed the consumer Firewire peripherals market.

I don't think it's a guess anymore. Apple has removed Firewire from their just released computer. The Macbook was their top selling computer. Firewire was their technology. Firewire has been dumped by Apple.
post #324 of 518
I want to know how many of you use Macbook as the only Mac in the household?

Apple's action is very logical - Macbook's market is totally different from MBP. MBP is likely to be the primary (or only) Mac in the house, so it gets all the goodies and more expensive. On the other hand, MB is a secondary laptop. Most likely you have another Mac in the house, which you can use to do the heavy duty work (like editing movies), or at least use that to get the DV tape to your mac.

So, my question is very simple - to all the existing Macbook owners, do you have another Mac in the household?
post #325 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I don't think it's a guess anymore. Apple has removed Firewire from their just released computer. The Macbook was their top selling computer. Firewire was their technology. Firewire has been dumped by Apple.

Yes. It would have helped though, if some media genius had asked if this was the case during yesterday's Q&A session.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #326 of 518
By the way, the different between Firewire vs USB is almost the same as SCSI vs IDE.

Firewire has intelligence on the device, thus faster but more expensive than USB2. SCSI has intelligence on the device, thus faster but more expensive.

When SCSI was eliminated, there was also an outcry. One of the reason people love SCSI was exactly the same - ability to boot from external drive, and ability to run Powerbook as an external SCSI drive (remember Powerbook 100? the first of this kind). When Apple switched to IDE, it wasn't possible to boot from external USB drive. Firewire was the answer to that.

But as I can remember, the outcry against eliminating SCSI was as loud as (if not louder) today.

Well, life goes on. Apple moves on. technologies move on. Not all superior technologies survive.

And by the way, I still prefer SCSI. Much much much faster.... but 99% of the population don't care.

Personally, I would rather complain about the lack of USB ports (only 2?) than the lack of 1394.
post #327 of 518
They should have kept at least 4 pin firewire on the macbooks. If anything needed to go it was ethernet, they've been selling a dongle for over year because "notebook users use wireless", that's what they did with the macbook air. They could have kept firewire and just chucked their usb to ethernet dongle in the box.

I've got 4 non-professional firewire devices on my desk right now and wanted the new macbook. Instead it looks like I might cave and buy the white one, which more than pisses me off.

Maybe they'll do like they did with the second revision macbook pro and add it back if everyone complains enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #328 of 518
Anyone who compares Firewire to SCSI has no real experience with SCSI.

SCSI was so frustrating I think I've repressed most of my memories of ever using that standard.
Having to put peripherals in a certain order, huge connectors that wouldn't connect...etc.

Firewire has been a dream by comparison.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #329 of 518
Also there are lots of Firewire camcorders out there, not just hard drives.
post #330 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I don't think it's a guess anymore. Apple has removed Firewire from their just released computer. The Macbook was their top selling computer. Firewire was their technology. Firewire has been dumped by Apple.

Well, it's not Apple that is killing Firewire. All the wire protocols are going to fade away quickly. Wire will be replaced by waves. The Time capsule is the real future. In two years, everybody will have to switch to IPv6. Your desktop computer, your laptop, your camcorder, your iPod and your time capsule will have their own IP address. You will have a wireless connexion available almost everywhere: no need for flash memories anymore, no need for Blueray disks or mobile storage devices like Firewire-HD : your camcorder will be in direct connexion to your personal Timecapsule via IPv6 and a wireless 3/4G connexion. You will be able to upload/download data in real-time from/to home, even if you are 10 000 miles away.

Back at home, you'll maybe plug your Timecapsule to a Gb Ethernet router, if the WiFi 802.11n+++ throughput does not meet your needs...
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
Reply
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
Reply
post #331 of 518
Hi -

I writing this on my Gateway 14.1 inch wide-screen that I bought, new, at BB in March 2007 for $399. I wanted a MacBook, but couldn't justify the $1499 price. It's been a good unit, does everything that it is required to do for my personal and business applications and use, plus my middle school child uses it for all school related assignments. It cost $399.

So, when news of a sub-$900 MacBook began to circulate, I thought, "okay, I'll buy one". Yes, I was disappointed to read the released pricing schedule, $1,000 for the old Mac, $1,300 to $1,600 for the newest unit. Can't blame Apple, as the "rumored prices" were from others, and the new units may indeed be worth the asking prices. I cannot technically evaluate the units, but as a consumer, this $399 laptop doesn't need to be replaced as I was inclined to do just 48 hours ago. Will the prices drop as with the iPhone??

Regards,
post #332 of 518
I ordered one of the new 13" Macbooks last night only to cancel a few minutes later: no firewire? Seriously? I'm on my second 12" g4 powerbook, and due to a coffee mishap this week, will be looking for my 3rd. The rep at a local Apple Store told me to hold out; something better might be on the way. I was disappointed with the Air and now this...

Why not build a 13" Macbook Pro? Space? Heat? Scrap the internal optical drive and make it work!

j
post #333 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Well, it's not Apple that is killing Firewire. All the wire protocols are going to fade away quickly. Wire will be replaced by waves. The Time capsule is the real future. In two years, everybody will have to switch to IPv6. Your desktop computer, your laptop, your camcorder, your iPod and your time capsule will have their own IP address. You will have a wireless connexion available almost everywhere: no need for flash memories anymore, no need for Blueray disks or mobile storage devices like Firewire-HD : your camcorder will be in direct connexion to your personal Timecapsule via IPv6 and a wireless 3/4G connexion. You will be able to upload/download data in real-time from/to home, even if you are 10 000 miles away.

Back at home, you'll maybe plug your Timecapsule to a Gb Ethernet router, if the WiFi 802.11n+++ throughput does not meet your needs...

So why not remove Ethernet?
post #334 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Well, it's not Apple that is killing Firewire. All the wire protocols are going to fade away quickly. Wire will be replaced by waves.

True, but that's 5 to 10 years away. If firewire 800 is good enough for the Macbook Pro line it's good enough for the Macbook line. Either include Firewire in both lines, or make a 13" Macbook Pro.

j
post #335 of 518
We can now buy the best selling macbook ever, the white, with Firewire and Superdrive for less $$$.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #336 of 518
People all over the intraweb are going nuts about lack of FireWire, and rightly so.
Best form of protest (besides contacting Apple directly) is NOT TO BUY ONE.

Leave 'em on the shelf until such times as Apple see the light and 'revise' with FireWire.

Such a farce.
post #337 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

So why not remove Ethernet?

For a very simple reason : because not everybody is WiFi-equipped these days. The building of the U I'm teaching at (that's why I've got an educational rebate) has no WiFi. So I have to use a good old Ethernet cable instead. WiFi is installed, but it does not work, for unknown reasons. I'm sure it'll be fixed some day, but when?
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
Reply
Predictions are perilous, especially about future. Niels Bohr
Reply
post #338 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

People all over the intraweb are going nuts about lack of FireWire, and rightly so.
Best form of protest (besides contacting Apple directly) is NOT TO BUY ONE.

Leave 'em on the shelf until such times as Apple see the light and 'revise' with FireWire.

Such a farce.

Ditto the glossy-only screen options.

What a massive shame. Fantastic products with fatal, and completely avoidable, flaws.
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
post #339 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Since Apple Support is now deleting threads on the topic, it's clear that a huge proportion of Mac users are expressing displeasure at the removal of Firewire and there will be implications of this in the sales numbers of the new laptops.

This is the kind of ham-fisted nonsense that Apple could have easily prevented.

• If Firewire is done as a mass consumer interface, just say so.
• If the interface was left off until the new 3200 standard is ready, just say so.
• If it will remain on all desktops and just high end laptops, just say so.
• If a USB version of Target Disk mode is in development, just say so.

The guessing game is going to hurt more than anything.
Apple just basically killed the consumer Firewire peripherals market.

If they had replaced Firewire's usefulness with USB3, then that would be one thing.
But to switch the most useful interface with a lesser quality one - and then ask for a premium price - is ridiculous.


Agreed. And it's sad that Apple Support is trying to suppress ppl expressing their viewpoints on this. It'll just make customers madder, and it won't really fix the prob. \

Also, read my sig.

...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #340 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I can agree Apples silence in such cases can be counterproductive and frustrating.

Whoa, I actually agree with you for once.


Quote:
If they had replaced Firewire's usefulness with USB3, then that would be one thing.
But to switch the most useful interface with a lesser quality one - and then ask for a premium price - is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

The expensive CPU and chipset is what accounts for most of the price of the MacBook.

Wow... what're we trying to say here? That the two most expensive things on the MacBook are the Core2Duo CPU and FireWire, and that the cost of having FW is comparable to the cost of the Intel CPU?

Seems very unlikely. Didn't they use to have FW on iPods?

...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #341 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Ditto the glossy-only screen options.

What a massive shame. Fantastic products with fatal, and completely avoidable, flaws.


+100000000. And I've seen it come down like this a number of times.

You know what I think it is, this time? Steve thinks he's 'seen the future' and it's the MacBook Air.

So, the future of the MacBook is now

- remove any port that Steve deems 'unnecessary'. Absolute minimalism here.
- remove the optical drive
- sacrifice all else for 'thin, thin, thin'. Fashion statement uber alles.


Thing is, not everyone wants that, necessarily. Maybe even most don't want that. The MB Air is a niche product, more or less. It may become mainstream eventually, but it isn't there yet. So it's suitability as a template for the consumer line is questionable at this point in time.

But Steve, as per usual, is dragging everyone into HIS future, quite a bit earlier than they'd like. He's done it before. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it doesn't.

-
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #342 of 518
You know I have to admit ...amidst the Steve Jobs' health scare a part of me
hoped that he'd retire.

Steve is Jekyll and Hyde. As a visionary he can take your breath away with some of his deft decision making but the luddite in him causes the most boneheaded decision.

The Macbook Pro has to stand on its own. You cannot continue to hobble other products in deferrence to the MBP.

if people want a 15"+ screen - MBP
If people want a discrete GPU- MBP
if people want ExpressCard- MBP

That and other MBP features are more than enough to create a line of demarcation betwen
Macbook and Macbook Pro.

Steve Jobs reality is one of those parable stories in which a person asks for something wonderful and gets it ...albeit in a most twisted and uncouth way.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #343 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I've seen it come down like this a number of times.

You know what I think it is, this time? Steve thinks he's 'seen the future' and it's the MacBook Air.

So, the future of the MacBook is now

- remove any port that Steve deems 'unnecessary'. Absolute minimalism here.
- remove the optical drive
- sacrifice all else for 'thin, thin, thin'. Fashion statement uber alles.


Thing is, not everyone wants that, necessarily. Maybe even most don't want that. The MB Air is a niche product, more or less. It may become mainstream eventually, but it isn't there yet. So it's suitability as a template for the consumer line is questionable at this point in time.

But Steve, as per usual, is dragging everyone into HIS future, quite a bit earlier than they'd like. He's done it before. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it doesn't.

-

I think you're probably right and I don't think this is gonna work out great.

I've been using Macs for almost 20 years now and in every previous clanger of a gear change, the reasoning behind it has involved technological and ease-of-use improvements.

If Apple had taken away Firewire and given us USB 3, that would have made sense. If Apple had taken away the matte option as standard and made pros pay for it, that would have been annoying but, again, it would have made sense.

To strip away basic, vital functions from professional and standard consumer machines makes no sense at all. Many people - pros or not - simply will not buy laptops with glossy screens because they're harder to look at, harder to work with and are great for triggering tension headaches.

Complaints are all over the web about the firewire and screen issues now - everyone from self-proclaimed fanboys at MacWorld to Jason O'Grady, not to mention the scores of mac users on forums.

I'm sitting here with £3000 in my pocket and wondering what the hell to do with it now. I'd imagine enough other people are in the same boat to make this, at the very least, a slightly disappointing launch day for Apple. Judging by the post deletions on their own forum, I'd say it might even have been a very disappointing day.

There's a big difference between inspired leadership and vainglorious leadership.
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
post #344 of 518
The MacBook Air is such a niche product that it may very well die in a years time.

Its a funny thing, I've been an avid supporter of Apple products over the years and have bought many pieces of Apple kit as well as recommending Macs to friends and family alike.
Now here's the thing. Just recently I have been asked for an honest opinion and purchasing advice as regards a home computer for a school child. While I really wanted to be able to recommend an Apple purchase I really could not due to three main factors.

1: The market domination of Windows PC's in schools.
2: The increasingly frustrating trend of Macs becoming more form over function (you get a better deal on a PC tech wise) , which brings me to...
3: Price. That is the real deal breaker. Never mind running Windows on a Mac via BootCamp et al. Money talks.

So the purchase of a new HP Pavillion with dual core etc. etc. was made and you know what... the thing is, it's a beautiful piece of kit and half the price of a Mac! Damn I hate myself.

The current debacle over the 'new' MacBook less FireWire has done nothing to shore up any faith that I may have had left in Apple. It looks like they are heading down the wrong path with Steve blindly leading the way, It's a one way street. HIS way. Pissing off your loyal user base is certainly not the way to go, neither is overpriced, under specced machines. "But its sooo pretty!" Who cares! Maybe it's time for Steve to go.
post #345 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

So the purchase of a new HP Pavillion with dual core etc. etc. was made and you know what... the thing is, it's a beautiful piece of kit and half the price of a Mac! Damn I hate myself.

The current debacle over the 'new' MacBook less FireWire has done nothing to shore up any faith that I may have had left in Apple. It looks like they are heading down the wrong path with Steve blindly leading the way, It's a one way street. HIS way. Pissing off your loyal user base is certainly not the way to go, neither is overpriced, under specced machines. "But its sooo pretty!" Who cares! Maybe it's time for Steve to go.

What Pavillion did you get. I noticed this one is pretty popular and it absolutely embarasses the wackbook in comparison.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....de=23-750059-2

Less than $1300 gets you

15.4" screen
2Ghz C2D processor
4GB of RAM
320GB drive
Blu-ray playback
Digital Media Reader
256MB Dedicated video memory
Modem
HDMI and eSATA/USB combo port
Expresscard 34
Firewire
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #346 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

I want to know how many of you use Macbook as the only Mac in the household?

Apple's action is very logical - Macbook's market is totally different from MBP. MBP is likely to be the primary (or only) Mac in the house, so it gets all the goodies and more expensive. On the other hand, MB is a secondary laptop. Most likely you have another Mac in the house, which you can use to do the heavy duty work (like editing movies), or at least use that to get the DV tape to your mac.

So, my question is very simple - to all the existing Macbook owners, do you have another Mac in the household?

I still have an iBook, which is my only Mac, and when my iBook dies I will replace it with a Macbook. I have no problem whatsoever with the lack of Firewire, and I like the glossy screen. I have other computers, though, but no other Macs.
post #347 of 518
Man I would kill if the higher end Macbook would have a 1440 by 900 resolution option. I'd be willing to even pay a few extra hundred for that. Also Firewire, I hardly knew thee....

You know, for those with the last generation Macbooks and Macbook PRos? I say wait for REV B. Maybe Apple could pleasantly surprise us!
post #348 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiten View Post

Man I would kill if the higher end Macbook would have a 1440 by 900 resolution option. I'd be willing to even pay a few extra hundred for that. Also Firewire, I hardly knew thee....

You know, for those with the last generation Macbooks and Macbook PRos? I say wait for REV B. Maybe Apple could pleasantly surprise us!

Yes these def should have been bumped upto 1440 x 900.

EDIT: WOW, I've never really paid attention or looked at the macbook pro's as I would never even think of buying something that big or heavy, but I guess I assumed since they are always touted so highly that they would be rocking 1920 x 1200. I just looked on Apple's site and it says they are 1440 x 900. WTF??? The only 15" notebook I ever bought was a mid-grade Dell back in 2003/2004 and that had 1920 x 1200. And that was 4-5 years ago!!!
post #349 of 518
I'm typing this on an iBook G4 that has a cracked screen so it is hooked up to an old HP monitor, and I couldn't be happier. Does that convince anyway that these new laptops are nothing special?
post #350 of 518
Here are my 2 Cents on the new MacBook.

The MacBook is a consumer product. It always has been and it always will be. It won't have all of the features of a Pro model. We should all be thankful that the new Macbooks were even given such great graphics among MANY other very very nice upgrades.

For me, and I would only assume many other people, the lack of a firewire is a NON ISSUE. I am a college student. I have an external hard drive and a digital camera, both of which have USB cords. Along with my printer, those are the only peripherals I use. To the average consumer, I would assume that is about all of the types of peripherals one might use. I have never once in my life needed a firewire cord other than when using old school iPods.

I don't think Steve would go out on a whim and delete a firewire port from his BEST SELLING PRODUCT EVER without extensive market research. Clearly, his research must have shown than on the whole, not a great deal of his consumers use firewire. People who are heart broken over the firewire issue are either a minority of computer users or are expecting too much out of a compact consumer apple product.
post #351 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Wow... what're we trying to say here? That the two most expensive things on the MacBook are the Core2Duo CPU and FireWire, and that the cost of having FW is comparable to the cost of the Intel CPU?

Seems very unlikely. Didn't they use to have FW on iPods?

...

I have no idea what you are talking about.
post #352 of 518
Panasonic AG-HMC150

Panasonic's new AVCHD prosumer camera that records 1080i. Uses HDMI and USB ports, NO FIREWIRE.
post #353 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post


So the purchase of a new HP Pavillion with dual core etc. etc. was made and you know what... the thing is, it's a beautiful piece of kit and half the price of a Mac! Damn I hate myself.

Its always telling when someone talks about some great PC. How often people don't tell which PC it is.
post #354 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

Here are my 2 Cents on the new MacBook.

The MacBook is a consumer product. It always has been and it always will be. It won't have all of the features of a Pro model. We should all be thankful that the new Macbooks were even given such great graphics among MANY other very very nice upgrades.

For me, and I would only assume many other people, the lack of a firewire is a NON ISSUE. I am a college student. I have an external hard drive and a digital camera, both of which have USB cords. Along with my printer, those are the only peripherals I use. To the average consumer, I would assume that is about all of the types of peripherals one might use. I have never once in my life needed a firewire cord other than when using old school iPods.

I don't think Steve would go out on a whim and delete a firewire port from his BEST SELLING PRODUCT EVER without extensive market research. Clearly, his research must have shown than on the whole, not a great deal of his consumers use firewire. People who are heart broken over the firewire issue are either a minority of computer users or are expecting too much out of a compact consumer apple product.

"The Macbook is a consumer product" nonsensical statement. Every Macbook until October 14th has had Firewire thus any correlation you attempt to make between Firewire being a Pro only feature will be easily repudiated.

Assuming anything is foolhardy. Technicians use Firewire often to rescue hard drives or transfer files easily using Target Disk Mode. TDM is one of those features that you might not realize the power until it saves your bacon or makes transferring files much easier. It's not gone.

All the market research in the world doesn't ameliorate the simple facts. Preceding Macbooks have always had Firewire. The relative cost of the technology must be low as Apple created the format and purchased Zyante

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._5/ai_84450485

The best selling HP Pavillion has Firewire, card reader and Expresscard 34 slots. What's Apple's excuse for removing a feature that is on most PC consumer laptops?

I think it's very telling that the excuses given for the removal of a feature that was replaced with nothing center around silly anecdotes or banal logic and correlations.

With connectivity ..more is almost always preferrable to less.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #355 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

"The Macbook is a consumer product" nonsensical statement. Every Macbook until October 14th has had Firewire thus any correlation you attempt to make between Firewire being a Pro only feature will be easily repudiated.

Assuming anything is foolhardy. Technicians use Firewire often to rescue hard drives or transfer files easily using Target Disk Mode. TDM is one of those features that you might not realize the power until it saves your bacon or makes transferring files much easier. It's not gone.

All the market research in the world doesn't ameliorate the simple facts. Preceding Macbooks have always had Firewire. The relative cost of the technology must be low as Apple created the format and purchased Zyante

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._5/ai_84450485

The best selling HP Pavillion has Firewire, card reader and Expresscard 34 slots. What's Apple's excuse for removing a feature that is on most PC consumer laptops?

I think it's very telling that the excuses given for the removal of a feature that was replaced with nothing center around silly anecdotes or banal logic and correlations.

With connectivity ..more is almost always preferrable to less.


I understand your points about the old MacBook, but I think you failed to understand my points about the new MacBook. Steve Jobs is not an idiot. He single handedly leads the computer industry. If he made a choice to drop a certain type of port from his best selling line of computers of all time, he must have had good evidence to support his decision. If firewire is the only means of rescuing harddrives and transferring data, then clearly this would have been a bad decision. Apple is not that stupid, however. I am not a computer EXPERT, so I can't rattle of different means of doing what you described off the top of my head, but i guarantee you there are ways to solve those issues without a firewire port. The times are changing in the computer industry and Apple clearly feels as though its time to phase out firewire.
post #356 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


The best selling HP Pavillion has Firewire, card reader and Expresscard 34 slots. What's Apple's excuse for removing a feature that is on most PC consumer laptops?

While I agree with you in spirit. In reality is highly likely the MacBook is outselling that HP Pavilian with higher profit margins.

Do most consumers really want or care about firewire, card readers, express card slots, or HDMI ports?
post #357 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

I understand your points about the old MacBook, but I think you failed to understand my points about the new MacBook. Steve Jobs is not an idiot. He single handedly leads the computer industry. If he made a choice to drop a certain type of port from his best selling line of computers of all time, he must have had good evidence to support his decision. If firewire is the only means of rescuing harddrives and transferring data, then clearly this would have been a bad decision. Apple is not that stupid, however. I am not a computer EXPERT, so I can't rattle of different means of doing what you described off the top of my head, but i guarantee you there are ways to solve those issues without a firewire port. The times are changing in the computer industry and Apple clearly feels as though its time to phase out firewire.

Ryan

We're going to see. I'm just not a fan of USB nor am I an fan of computers with premium pricing without the commensurate premium hardware. The video market isn't going to be that bad but audio market is going to be affected a bit more.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #358 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ryan

We're going to see. I'm just not a fan of USB nor am I an fan of computers with premium pricing without the commensurate premium hardware. The video market isn't going to be that bad but audio market is going to be affected a bit more.

I don't understand the "audio has to have FireWire" argument. Video needs more bandwidth than audio. The video signal is larger and has at least one sometimes two audio tracks.
post #359 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't understand the "audio has to have FireWire" argument. Video needs more bandwidth than audio. The video signal is larger and has at least one sometimes two audio tracks.

USB is fine when you simply need to take bunch of data and send it over the pipe but where it doesn't match up to Firewire is the ability for some streams to be protected. Multitrack audio is different than video in that you can have 60 tracks and effects going off one moment and then barely anything.

I know that in audio ..many engineers just don't trust USB. Many will fork out the extra money for a MBP but at the same time they'll know they've been handled by Apple.

Firewire was the basis for Yamaha's failed mLAN technology that had audio and midi and control signals all on the same cable. USB most likely would have been a poor replacement.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #360 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

USB is fine when you simply need to take bunch of data and send it over the pipe but where it doesn't match up to Firewire is the ability for some streams to be protected. Multitrack audio is different than video in that you can have 60 tracks and effects going off one moment and then barely anything.

I know that in audio ..many engineers just don't trust USB. Many will fork out the extra money for a MBP but at the same time they'll know they've been handled by Apple.

Ok I gotcha. I imagine Apple would rather these people bought MBP.

From Apple's perspective their aren't nearly as many audio engineers as their are PC switchers who have not and will not use FireWire.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook