or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook - Page 10

post #361 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ryan

We're going to see. I'm just not a fan of USB nor am I an fan of computers with premium pricing without the commensurate premium hardware. The video market isn't going to be that bad but audio market is going to be affected a bit more.

Yes, we certainly will. However, what you just described, the video market and audio market, typically buy Pro level macs, which as you know, still have a firewire port.
post #362 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From Apple's perspective their aren't nearly as many audio engineers as their are PC switchers who have not and will not use FireWire.

Perhaps but the audio pros also buy software like logic and that stuff isn't cheap. I'm sure they've done the math and still feel like they'll come out ahead but it's a shitty way to treat the pro users.

These were the people that kept Apple alive in the dark days.
post #363 of 518
Quote:
The best selling HP Pavillion has Firewire, card reader and Expresscard 34 slots. What's Apple's excuse for removing a feature that is on most PC consumer laptops?

As if apple should copy everything on PC laptops. Terrible argument.

I very much doubt that for the majority of people FW is an issue. Sure, lots of people are complaining, but many of them on behalf of a small minority. USB works well, and for that one unique FW-only device, the vast majority of users will allready have a mac in their household that still has FW.
The slight reduction in CPU speed is more than offset by the faster bus and GPU. Likely, you can get better hardware specs for this money from a cheap PC, but what does that buy you on a machine that doesn't run mac OS? The hardware specs are hardly relevant in the comparison. For the past months, all I've seen on this forum are people complaining about the GPU. You've got what you asked for, stop whining.
Personally, I've always disliked the cheap plastic MB enclosure, but can't justify getting a MBP just for that reason.
post #364 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

I understand your points about the old MacBook, but I think you failed to understand my points about the new MacBook. Steve Jobs is not an idiot. He single handedly leads the computer industry. If he made a choice to drop a certain type of port from his best selling line of computers of all time, he must have had good evidence to support his decision. If firewire is the only means of rescuing harddrives and transferring data, then clearly this would have been a bad decision. Apple is not that stupid, however. I am not a computer EXPERT, so I can't rattle of different means of doing what you described off the top of my head, but i guarantee you there are ways to solve those issues without a firewire port. The times are changing in the computer industry and Apple clearly feels as though its time to phase out firewire.

first of all: if you don't have any peripherals that use firewire you don't know what the issue is about and shouldn't even be in this discussion.

secondly: it looks like you didn't read through the whole thread, just jumped in at the end. because there are numerous posts that explain the use for firewire in different areas than just rescuing harddrives.

thirdly: some pro editing software have security built in so the user can't blame the software manufacturer for not functioning at full capacity: the software will just ignore certain peripherals when not plugged into a proper firewire port, converter plug or not.

and last: yes: the industry might be moving away from firewire in the end, but since the life-cycle of most hardware is longer than those of laptops, it would have been logical to wait until all of those have switched to a new platform and most old peripherals had died before stopping support on those. it will cost me and others like me thousands of dollars to replace those for similar USB driven ones.

and please don't anybody post another link to a camera or interface that has USB. yes there are some that do, but that doesn't help if you don't have the money to replace all of the old hardware. I'm also not going to post links here to hardware that will run on USB1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't understand the "audio has to have FireWire" argument. Video needs more bandwidth than audio. The video signal is larger and has at least one sometimes two audio tracks.

the audio tracks that come with film are usually at lower bitrate than pro-audio.
a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out. it is also very common to daisy chain two or more audio interfaces together (with firewire) to be able to record more than 8 tracks at the same time (a drum kit typically already uses 10 channels alone), making sure that even more data is going through. and unlike the video transfer with a couple of glitches, you cannot try to transfer it again with audio because it was a live recording session. you will have lost the moment.
I seriously cannot see any current option other than firewire to have a smooth recording session.
and I need the laptop to be as small as possible (while having enough screen space for the software), because I already am carrying interfaces and microphones with me too. (I have a really neat suitcase that perfectly fits my macBook, an external drive and one audio interface. a 15" macBook pro would fit in). at home or in the studio I will hook it up to a larger screen.
post #365 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

f
and please don't anybody post another link to a camera or interface that has USB. yes there are some that do, but that doesn't help if you don't have the money to replace all of the old hardware. I'm also not going to post links here to hardware that will run on USB1.0

I keep posting links to cameras that use USB to show that video is moving away from FireWire. The only reason you wouldn't want to see the links is to not face the truth.

Whether or not you have the money to replace hardware is a different issue. You people act as though the new MacBook is your only option. If you need FireWire right now. You should just simply stay with the set up you currently have now. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.

Quote:
the audio tracks that come with film are usually at lower bitrate than pro-audio.
a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out.

Yes I know the audio is at a lower bit-rate. But Pro Audio doesn't ever have to carry both video and audio.
post #366 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.
.

I predict refurbed blackbooks will be highly sought after and will sell out quickly at the Apple store.
post #367 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

first of all: if you don't have any peripherals that use firewire you don't know what the issue is about and shouldn't even be in this discussion.

secondly: it looks like you didn't read through the whole thread, just jumped in at the end. because there are numerous posts that explain the use for firewire in different areas than just rescuing harddrives.

thirdly: some pro editing software have security built in so the user can't blame the software manufacturer for not functioning at full capacity: the software will just ignore certain peripherals when not plugged into a proper firewire port, converter plug or not.

and last: yes: the industry might be moving away from firewire in the end, but since the life-cycle of most hardware is longer than those of laptops, it would have been logical to wait until all of those have switched to a new platform and most old peripherals had died before stopping support on those. it will cost me and others like me thousands of dollars to replace those for similar USB driven ones.

and please don't anybody post another link to a camera or interface that has USB. yes there are some that do, but that doesn't help if you don't have the money to replace all of the old hardware. I'm also not going to post links here to hardware that will run on USB1.0



the audio tracks that come with film are usually at lower bitrate than pro-audio.
a typical audio interface has 8 channels of audio coming in, some midi data, and 2 to 8 channels of audio going out. it is also very common to daisy chain two or more audio interfaces together (with firewire) to be able to record more than 8 tracks at the same time (a drum kit typically already uses 10 channels alone), making sure that even more data is going through. and unlike the video transfer with a couple of glitches, you cannot try to transfer it again with audio because it was a live recording session. you will have lost the moment.
I seriously cannot see any current option other than firewire to have a smooth recording session.
and I need the laptop to be as small as possible (while having enough screen space for the software), because I already am carrying interfaces and microphones with me too. (I have a really neat suitcase that perfectly fits my macBook, an external drive and one audio interface. a 15" macBook pro would fit in). at home or in the studio I will hook it up to a larger screen.


My point about peripherals: I consider myself an average consumer, being an average consumer, I have a limited amount of peripherals. I would be very surprised if the average mac consumer had more peripherals than me (camera, hard drive, printer, things like that). Guess what, the MacBook is targeted at the average consumer, not the Pro consumer.

In your "last" point, peripherals are moving over to USB more and more. Cameras, hard drives, things that the average consumer uses. If Apple is going to phase out the firewire, it makes sense to phase it out first with consumers who use firewire the least.

And then finally, in your "third" point, pro-editing software.... what percentage of the average MacBook consumer uses such programs? My guess? Less than 2%.

And in case you are interested, I read the whole thread, so don't call me out.
post #368 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

Here are my 2 Cents on the new MacBook.

The MacBook is a consumer product. It always has been and it always will be. It won't have all of the features of a Pro model. We should all be thankful that the new Macbooks were even given such great graphics among MANY other very very nice upgrades.

For me, and I would only assume many other people, the lack of a firewire is a NON ISSUE. I am a college student. I have an external hard drive and a digital camera, both of which have USB cords. Along with my printer, those are the only peripherals I use. To the average consumer, I would assume that is about all of the types of peripherals one might use. I have never once in my life needed a firewire cord other than when using old school iPods.

I don't think Steve would go out on a whim and delete a firewire port from his BEST SELLING PRODUCT EVER without extensive market research. Clearly, his research must have shown than on the whole, not a great deal of his consumers use firewire. People who are heart broken over the firewire issue are either a minority of computer users or are expecting too much out of a compact consumer apple product.

I bought the first Macbook sold at my local Apple store around noon today. It wasn't even on display in the store as the shipment was just delivered. Bought the 2.4GHz, 250G HD model for $1499. with the education discount. It is Absolutely Spectacular! All positive, nothing negative. What a machine!
post #369 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Whether or not you have the money to replace hardware is a different issue. You people act as though the new MacBook is your only option. If you need FireWire right now. You should just simply stay with the set up you currently have now. Or purchase an earlier MacBook. They worked perfectly fine before the new announcement. They will work perfectly fine after the new announcement.

no they didn't.
after editing film, we have to go to a pro studio to "bounce to tape" because the previous graphics card couldn't handle that.
I was planning on selling my macBook when the new ones came out to buy that one, so I wouldn't have to hire a profession studio just to do that. now I can't, because I need firewire for it too.
giving better graphics but no firewire is like building a waterwell for a village but only supply them with a colander to get to it..
post #370 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

And then finally, in your "third" point, pro-editing software.... what percentage of the average MacBook consumer uses such programs? My guess? Less than 2%.

less than 2% is still 73.000 "portable mac" sales per year.
post #371 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

and last: yes: the industry might be moving away from firewire in the end, but since the life-cycle of most hardware is longer than those of laptops, it would have been logical to wait until all of those have switched to a new platform and most old peripherals had died before stopping support on those. it will cost me and others like me thousands of dollars to replace those for similar USB driven ones.

You don't know Apple's history.

10 years ago Apple did not slowly transition from P2 ports and floppy disks. They just stopped using them. One day they had a new computer with USB, FireWire, and CD player when their were few peripherals that could use them.

This was a much bigger deal because P2 ports and floppy disks were industry standard used by everyone. Apple just abandoned them cold. FireWire has never been as ubiquitous.
post #372 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

no they didn't.
after editing film, we have to go to a pro studio to "bounce to tape" because the previous graphics card couldn't handle that.
I was planning on selling my macBook when the new ones came out to buy that one, so I wouldn't have to hire a profession studio just to do that. now I can't, because I need firewire for it too.
giving better graphics but no firewire is like building a waterwell for a village but only supply them with a colander to get to it..

Sounds like you expect a consumer machine to do a professional job. Is the problem with the MacBook or your expectation.
post #373 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

no they didn't.
after editing film, we have to go to a pro studio to "bounce to tape" because the previous graphics card couldn't handle that.
I was planning on selling my macBook when the new ones came out to buy that one, so I wouldn't have to hire a profession studio just to do that. now I can't, because I need firewire for it too.
giving better graphics but no firewire is like building a waterwell for a village but only supply them with a colander to get to it..

I feel like it would be cheaper for you to spend an extra $400 on a computer than hire a professional studio to help with your work all the time. Your demands require a pro level mac, not a consumer level mac.
post #374 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You don't know Apple's history.

10 years ago Apple did not slowly transition from P2 ports and floppy disks. They just stopped using them. One day they had a new computer with USB, FireWire, and CD player when their were few peripherals that could use them.

This was a much bigger deal because P2 ports and floppy disks were industry standard used by everyone. Apple just abandoned them cold. FireWire has never been as ubiquitous.

but there was still a way to plug the floppy drive into a USB port so it wasn't rendered useless.
this is not the case with firewire peripherals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330 View Post

I feel like it would be cheaper for you to spend an extra $400 on a computer than hire a professional studio to help with your work all the time. Your demands require a pro level mac, not a consumer level mac.

the studio is owned by a friend of mine, so I can use it for free.
and even though my use might pro, my income is still very amateur..
plus I really don't have room or use for a 15" laptop, and nevertheless I shouldn't be forced to lay down another 700 euro for the use of a firewire port that is already there on the 300 euro cheaper version. that comes down to a 1000 euro ($1400) price increase just for the use of a better graphics card..
post #375 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

but there was still a way to plug the floppy drive into a USB port so it wasn't rendered useless.
this is not the case with firewire peripherals..

90% of peripherals that have FireWire ports also have USB ports. Most computer devices are not rendered useless. Firewire only is an extremely extremely small percentage.
post #376 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

90% of peripherals that have FireWire ports also have USB ports. Most computer devices are not rendered useless. Firewire only is an extremely extremely small percentage.

firewire and USB are not just backwards compatible with a converter plug, floppy and USB were.
plus it seems like you are talking about external hard drives.
firewire cameras or audio interfaces usually don't also have USB. (I believe)
post #377 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

firewire and USB are not just backwards compatible with a converter plug, floppy and USB were.
plus it seems like you are talking about external hard drives.
firewire cameras or audio interfaces usually don't also have USB. (I believe)

It doesn't matter that USB and Firewire are not backward compatible if most peripherals come with both. Really many more peripherals are USB only.


For video that's not true anymore, which why I keep linking to the growing number of USB video cameras.
post #378 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Since Apple Support is now deleting threads on the topic, it's clear that a huge proportion of Mac users are expressing displeasure at the removal of Firewire and there will be implications of this in the sales numbers of the new laptops....


So now they are censoring the discussion of their latest macbook offering? LAME!!! Apple is blowing it big time. I won't bother going to their sterile forum anymore.
post #379 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

90% of peripherals that have FireWire ports also have USB ports. Most computer devices are not rendered useless. Firewire only is an extremely extremely small percentage.

Oh please stop defending this bs decision. USB is slower than a slug.
post #380 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Oh please stop defending this bs decision. USB is slower than a slug.

I think Apple should not do away with FireWire until USB 3 is ready to replace it.

Be that as it may, the reality right now their are extremely few peripherals that have FireWire and don't have USB. While their is a growing list of peripherals that are USB only with no FireWire.

Because of this I don't see Apples choice to be as outrageous as many of you feel. To not see this truth is only looking at the situation emotionally and not logically.
post #381 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

Is the new 2.0 MacBook noticeably faster than the previous white?

No, only for gaming, and the 9400 is no powerhouse for demanding 3D games either. For some things, you will not notice any difference between the 2.1 White and the 2.0 MB.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #382 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

No Firewire in a consumer laptop?

That's a joke right?

My five year old iBook just became a better video editing option than the latest Macbook.

Actually, most "consumer" notebooks do not come with FW.

Your iBook runs FCP better than the MacBook? Wow, you must have one special edition model there.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #383 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Don't know about noticeable difference, but the fact that the price difference between the 2 processors to a company buying in Apple's volume is only $20, and the fact the backlit keyboard can't be more than $15 extra, HD difference not more than $10, should be enough to anyone not drinking the koolaid to deter them from not falling into this trap.

Sure Apple should be making money, but $300 on $45 worth of upgrades? C'mon $150 would have been fine, Apple could have made a 200+% profit on these 3 little bumps, but $300 is pretty much asinine.

You clearly do not understand the computing world. The fact remains that there are no sub $1000 laptops out there with LED displays and backlit keyboards. This is a fact. You don't need koolaid to believe in a fact.

The quality difference between the white MB's LCD and the new one is staggering. This alone makes the new one way, way better.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #384 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What Pavillion did you get. I noticed this one is pretty popular and it absolutely embarasses the wackbook in comparison.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....de=23-750059-2

Less than $1300 gets you

15.4" screen
2Ghz C2D processor
4GB of RAM
320GB drive
Blu-ray playback
Digital Media Reader
256MB Dedicated video memory
Modem
HDMI and eSATA/USB combo port
Expresscard 34
Firewire

Are you seriously comparing a 15" plastic, el cheapo to a 13" premium product?

>> the 15" is, well, 15 inches and low-res and not LED. High-end 15" laptops come with LED and high-res.
>> The 256Mb video card is the inferior 9200M compared to the 9400 in the MacBook.

Try harder next time.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #385 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

The only 15" notebook I ever bought was a mid-grade Dell back in 2003/2004 and that had 1920 x 1200. And that was 4-5 years ago!!!

What makes you think that most consumers want 1920x1200 on a 15" screen? That sort of resolution on a 17" screen is even ridiculous to me and to many buyers.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #386 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think Apple should not do away with FireWire until USB 3 is ready to replace it.

Be that as it may, the reality right now their are extremely few peripherals that have FireWire and don't have USB. While their is a growing list of peripherals that are USB only with no FireWire.

Because of this I don't see Apples choice to be as outrageous as many of you feel. To not see this truth is only looking at the situation emotionally and not logically.

I assume you don't own any firewire only peripherals?
you can turn a blind eye and pretend that it is not going to affect you, but that is exactly what is turning the world into a freakin' police state with anti terrorist laws, sentences without proper trials, fingerprinting at the borders and "guilty until proven innocent" mentality: because there was nobody to protest when they took those rights away bit by bit, because it didn't directly concern them.
and now it's too late and you just have to take it lying down while they implant the tracking chip into your arm. (sorry for being off topic slightly).
but without comparing apple to a police state: we should stick together to demand fairness in progress. it is only fair to ask for a replacement that will not set us back hundreds of dollars worth of previous investments. a replacement that is progress in itself, not regress (like USB is compared to firewire).
(so with that I agree with your first sentence, which makes your follow up so contrasting)
post #387 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

No, only for gaming, and the 9400 is no powerhouse for demanding 3D games either. For some things, you will not notice any difference between the 2.1 White and the 2.0 MB.

how about the old black?
post #388 of 518
So easy to dismiss it when you are not the one sitting there with orphaned gear. I understand, I have been the same way in the past. This is not the same thing.

1. There is no path to backward compatibility.
2. There are plenty of FW only devices in use. In fact, this trend to add other types of connectivity to such devices is relatively new.
3. Apple created the consumer FW market. They actively encouraged it with iLife and FW perifs they sold in their stores.
4. Apple has positioned FW as a consumer connection, not pro. They have put it on every mac they have made in recent memory. You may think of it as a pro only connector, but Apple hasn't.

Apple actively encouraged consumers to purchase these devices and gave the impression that those devices would be supported by Apple. They encouraged consumers to kit out their home studios with multi-channel gear for GB. They encouraged dads to buy those FW cameras and edit those home movies in iMovie. They encouraged people to back up their data with external drives, the best of which at the time were FW. Now that millions of people have gone off and did what Apple suggested, all Apple has to say is "SUCKERS!"

Well, we have now heard that message loud and clear from Apple. We do not much appreciate hearing it from some of you wet-behind-the-ears switchers and other Mac users who are not invested in the FW culture that Apple fostered. If you just bought an Apogee Duet or FW only HD in anticipation of doing some of those cool things that Apple has been encouraging you to do, you feel pretty betrayed right about now. They could have easily abandoned FW without abandoning us. They handled this badly. We have a right to be pissed... And we are.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #389 of 518
Do you need special drivers to use USB based video output from camcorders? FW was pretty much model independent in video editing / at least it was transparent to me and it worked well. I wasn't thrilled with quality of video via USB.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #390 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooped View Post

I assume you don't own any firewire only peripherals?

Its interesting you ask. When I had an iMac in 1999, my peripherals were...

- Jazz Drive (FireWire)
- Zip Drive (FireWire)
- Epson Printer (USB)
- Palm Pilot (USB)
- Video Camera (FireWire)


Now in 2008, my peripherals are...

- Hard Drive (FireWire 400/800, High Speed USB, eSATA, )
- DVD Burner (FireWire, USB)
- TV Tuner (USB)
- Digital Camera (USB)
- USB Flash Drive (USB)
- Printer (High Speed USB)
- iPod Video (USB)
- iPhone 3G (USB)

Quote:
you can turn a blind eye and pretend that it is not going to affect you, but that is exactly what is turning the world into a freakin' police state with anti terrorist laws, sentences without proper trials, fingerprinting at the borders and "guilty until proven innocent" mentality: because there was nobody to protest when they took those rights away bit by bit, because it didn't directly concern them.


Uuuhhh.......I wouldn't go quite that far to equate FireWire to constitutional rights and social justice issues. Its not that serious.
post #391 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Apple actively encouraged consumers to purchase these devices and gave the impression that those devices would be supported by Apple. They encouraged consumers to kit out their home studios with multi-channel gear for GB. They encouraged dads to buy those FW cameras and edit those home movies in iMovie. They encouraged people to back up their data with external drives, the best of which at the time were FW. Now that millions of people have gone off and did what Apple suggested, all Apple has to say is "SUCKERS!"

All hope isn't lost. 4 of Apple's 6 computers have FireWire.
post #392 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Do you need special drivers to use USB based video output from camcorders? FW was pretty much model independent in video editing / at least it was transparent to me and it worked well. I wasn't thrilled with quality of video via USB.

No you don't need special drivers to transfer video over USB.

The problem I've found with transferring video over USB comes from USB only having one way communication. I think the camera and computer aren't able to confirm that all of the data has been delivered and its possible to end up with a corrupted file because all data didn't transfer.
post #393 of 518
Ok, just got done setting up and having some time with my gf's new Macbook. First, the screen is beautiful. I used to hate the glossy screen, even complained about it yesterday but after time with it today... Wow, does it look amazing and the gloss isn't even an issue really. It has a lot less gloss than similar screens i've seen and it doesn't seem to distract me at all. Second, the new trackpad without the click is brilliant, what a fantastic change that was. Third, this has to be the most beautiful solidly built laptop I've ever seen.

So, besides the not having firewire (really stupid for me but she doesn't use firewire though) i think this is an overall great new generation of laptops.
post #394 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

So now they are censoring the discussion of their latest macbook offering? LAME!!! Apple is blowing it big time. I won't bother going to their sterile forum anymore.

They're not censoring anything: by definition, only the government can engage in censorship.

Apple owns the boards. They're allowed to operate them in any way they want. I would imagine they're deleting complaining posts because the point of the Apple Support forum is to provide technical support. "I hate your new products" is not a technical support issue. Right now, it's an anger management issue.

Apple has an official feedback form you can fill out and submit. It's more likely to get noticed than an inappropriate post in their tech support forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Uuuhhh.......I wouldn't go quite that far to equate FireWire to constitutional rights and social justice issues. Its not that serious.

You're correct, but it doesn't look like anyone's listening. Too many people are angry that Apple gave them almost everything on their wishlists, without realizing that their wishlists weren't economical for the price points Apple wants to sell at.

People just need to get an extra $500 together and buy a $1999 MacBook Pro. It's really that simple. If it's so important that people refuse to give up their FireWire devices, then they need to bite the bullet and upgrade.
post #395 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think Apple should not do away with FireWire until USB 3 is ready to replace it.

Be that as it may, the reality right now their are extremely few peripherals that have FireWire and don't have USB. While their is a growing list of peripherals that are USB only with no FireWire.

Because of this I don't see Apples choice to be as outrageous as many of you feel. To not see this truth is only looking at the situation emotionally and not logically.


No. It IS outrageous because they are taking a step backwards rather than forwards with the macbook's port options. No way to defend this "dumbing down" or handicapping. They removed a superior option that was already part of the macbook. That is backwards plain and simple.
post #396 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

All hope isn't lost. 4 of Apple's 6 computers have FireWire.

The Macbook is the #1 selling Mac of all time. What do you want to bet that Macworld brings us FW-less iMacs and Mac minis. Let's see what happens in the next revision of the pro lineup. At this point, anyone buying a FW perif, even FW 800 has been warned.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #397 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post



You're correct, but it doesn't look like anyone's listening. Too many people are angry that Apple gave them almost everything on their wishlists, without realizing that their wishlists weren't economical for the price points Apple wants to sell at.

People just need to get an extra $500 together and buy a $1999 MacBook Pro. It's really that simple. If it's so important that people refuse to give up their FireWire devices, then they need to bite the bullet and upgrade.


I wasn't on a wishlist. It was already on the device, then removed like the said device was downgraded.

Don't see many people justifying upgrading to a more expensive device just for a firewire port that existed on old macbooks. Not in these economic times. Apple made a dumb decision.
post #398 of 518
When I brought up the firewire issue to the mac sales person she replied with "the previous macbooks only had firewire 400, and USB 2.0 is similar in speed"

Obviously, it's not similar in speed but still. Most people I know getting a Macbook do not use firewire, and I cringe when I say most becasue I know there are people out there that really need it. Also, the keyboard for the entry level (new) Macbook does not come with a backlight keyboard... really dumb, considering the keyboard is black.

They did take a step back in some departments and probably because of the profit margins of these new computers.
post #399 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I wasn't on a wishlist. It was already on the device, then removed like the said device was downgraded.

You misread my post. For months, AI posters have publicly pined for aluminum construction, a multi-touch trackpad, Montevina, and better graphics chips on the MacBook level. Apple delivered exactly that. However, that drove up costs. Something had to be cut somewhere. The reality is that FireWire has never enjoyed success on the scale of USB and remains to this day a niche standard. For end user computing, you absolutely do not need FireWire: the Windows ecosystem gets by just fine with USB.

The applications listed in this thread--namely, video camera transfer and professional audio devices--are not in the domain of consumer computing. Thus, FireWire was removed from the MacBook. I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's the reality of the market.

Quote:
Don't see many people justifying upgrading to a more expensive device just for a firewire port that existed on old macbooks. Not in these economic times. Apple made a dumb decision.

If FireWire is nearly as important as is being claimed, then the extra $400 to upgrade from the $1599 MacBook to the $1999 MacBook Pro is well worth the cost.

And, I'm frankly tired of hearing the "poor economy" canard. If the economy is so bad, why exactly are you in the market for an upper-tier computer? Your current machine clearly works fine, as you can post on AI using it. "The economy is poor" is not a justification for complaining that Apple no longer supports a niche standard in its consumer notebook line.
post #400 of 518
My Sis got it for me too. Woah it's orgasmic..

Anyway, my current company is in need of a qualitified Apple technician and Apple system administrator. If you guys are interested can pm me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook