or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook - Page 12

post #441 of 518
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8040.html


Many laptops now have a USB/eSATA port. Apple could have been progressive and utilized this features.

Jobs is fond of saying "we make the best computers available" but honestly I haven't been impressed with Mac in quite some time. I mean they look good but if you look at the overall picture and from the perspective of "computing". Apple still up to the same "style over substance" shenanigans.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #442 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

People just need to get an extra $500 together and buy a $1999 MacBook Pro. It's really that simple. If it's so important that people refuse to give up their FireWire devices, then they need to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Show me a 13" macbook pro from 1999 and I will buy it. I do not want or need a larger screen or heavier computer. Plenty of people have said this, firewire is not a $500 upgrade, that is a separate computer with many other things I don't want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #443 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

If someone who likes the new macbook and intends to get it could explain to me how their computer has been strengthened by the lack of firewire, I am all ears.

Well, I like very much the new design and the seemingly more solid construction but as I explained in previous posts I am not going to buy one. However, seeing the internals in the AI pictures, it seems that the package is very tight and probably FW was just impossible with the new internal design.

Hopefully, by next year we will see USB3 (where is this actually?) on the MB...
post #444 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Many laptops now have a USB/eSATA port. Apple could have been progressive and utilized this features.

Yeah I wonder what Apple thinks of eSATA. Apple has never really been a company to put every port option on its notebooks. I can imagine from a design perspective they want to consolidate it down to a minimum. Which likely why the MacBook now only has USB.

Perhaps they believe USB 3 and FireWire 3200 are the most viable interfaces to support.

Quote:
Jobs is fond of saying "we make the best computers available" but honestly I haven't been impressed with Mac in quite some time. I mean they look good but if you look at the overall picture and from the perspective of "computing". Apple still up to the same "style over substance" shenanigans.

Apple being able to get Intel and Nvidia to design special chips for them that add great performance is pretty impressive. Especially in light of the Macs small marketshare.
post #445 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Hopefully, by next year we will see USB3 (where is this actually?) on the MB...

From what I've read late 2009 to early 2010.
post #446 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

I agree. Developing B-R software that runs and burns the media is not as easy as some people think. It's not like Apple can just sell the drives and "bang, there it is!"

I guess toast 9 is a master piece then. Blu-ray support and software that read and burn bdr for like what? 70 bucks? I've used blu-ray drives on the mac pro as well as the lacie one on a mbp. It isn't complicated. I'm not saying that apple needed to include it this time around but you and the guy you quote are trying to make it sound like a mystical art, it's not. It's already here, toast can do it (and gives you the plugin) and adobe's encore can do it.

They probably just didn't offer it because like steve said licensing and because none of the slot load drives for br are that thin yet. I imagine it'll be a bto on the next mac pro.

People don't have to wait though, you can get one for a mac pro for less than 250 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #447 of 518
The Apple fanbois around here really need to take their tongues outta Stevo's ass and step back from the glory that is Jobs. Some of you people would swallow just about anything Steve threw at you and believe it was for your own good.

Omitting FireWire was not a forward thinking move, It was a cost cutting, penny pinching, upselling exercise plain and simple. Some of you will not remember a time when Apple removed audio ports from their laptops. Others will remember the uproar over that move and the subsequent back pedalling by Apple. Any of you care to live without audio I/O now? Didn't think so.

The MacBook is certainly not a 'consumer' machine, not at this price. It is, if anything a PROsumer device with a price tag to match and that is why the lack of FireWire is really pissing people off. There are plenty of 'consumer' machines out there with reasonable price tags and specs to match which do not cost anything like the MacBook. The reason the MacBook is priced the way it is is because of its enormously expensive production costs and practices. The thing is way overcooked. As for USB being 'as good as' or a worthy alternative to FireWire... USB is craptastic for audio work and even worse for video. There is not one single digital video camera available that can be operated through USB as can be through FireWire. USB video importing is far from reliable also.

Oh, and before you say that some of us are being too emotional and not thinking logically about this whole debacle, well I apologize for being a human being and not operating just like that pretty MacBook. You can go recharge your Li-ion brains now.
post #448 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From what I've read late 2009 to early 2010.

Last year there was talk about 2008. What happened in the meantime?
post #449 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

SSD fits into the MB the way it is. For Blu-ray Apple would have to license more DRM for OS X and could not have made the MB as thin as it is now.

Panasonic released a 9mm Bluray drive at CES nine months ago! You can order one and put it in your Macbook today. Unless Apple has moved to 7mm this argument that there are no Bluray drives that can fit in the chassis is a canard by Apple apologists. Furthermore, why was making the MB thinner such a priority? I didn't see a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy the MB because by gosh it is a few mm too thick!

I realize that MacOS currently doesn't support Bluray playback, but Apple can pad the price of the drive to cover the licensing for the playback software. There are companies that are selling bluray playback software for Windows less than $100 so add $100 plus the cost of the drive plus a 20-30% profit margin and finally round up to the near $50 and offer it as a CTO option. A BD-ROM option would probably be cheaper than an SSD option! While it wouldn't be a popular option, I have a feeling neither is the 128GB SSD either, but Apple is including that option.
post #450 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

The Apple fanbois around here really need to take their tongues outta Stevo's ass and step back from the glory that is Jobs. Some of you people would swallow just about anything Steve threw at you and believe it was for your own good.

Omitting FireWire was not a forward thinking move, It was a cost cutting, penny pinching, upselling exercise plain and simple. Some of you will not remember a time when Apple removed audio ports from their laptops. Others will remember the uproar over that move and the subsequent back pedalling by Apple. Any of you care to live without audio I/O now? Didn't think so.

The MacBook is certainly not a 'consumer' machine, not at this price. It is, if anything a PROsumer device with a price tag to match and that is why the lack of FireWire is really pissing people off. There are plenty of 'consumer' machines out there with reasonable price tags and specs to match which do not cost anything like the MacBook. The reason the MacBook is priced the way it is is because of its enormously expensive production costs and practices. The thing is way overcooked. As for USB being 'as good as' or a worthy alternative to FireWire... USB is craptastic for audio work and even worse for video. There is not one single digital video camera available that can be operated through USB as can be through FireWire. USB video importing is far from reliable also.

Oh, and before you say that some of us are being too emotional and not thinking logically about this whole debacle, well I apologize for being a human being and not operating just like that pretty MacBook. You can go recharge your Li-ion brains now.

I completely agree. well put.
post #451 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Equating the need for FireWire to the need of a screen is more rational?

I was using an extreme example to illustrate how far some will go to justify anything Apple does as correct and good for the market. You're ostensibly an intelligent person who should have picked that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


You guys are taking a George Bush "with us or against us" stance on this, without taking into account the reality of the computer market.

I could say that you are taking a George Bush "nothing we (Apple) do is wrong" stance on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ultimately this strengthens Apple because it forces anyone who wants to use FireWire will have to buy the more expensive machine.

Except that Apple only provides FW on a 15" notebook. If they had a model that was 13" with FW that was also more expensive, you'd have a point.
post #452 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

The Apple fanbois around here really need to take their tongues outta Stevo's ass and step back from the glory that is Jobs. Some of you people would swallow just about anything Steve threw at you and believe it was for your own good.

Not really sure why a civilized conversation has to degrade into personal insults. Outside of the point that you have no evidence or facts to back up your position.

Quote:
The MacBook is certainly not a 'consumer' machine, not at this price. It is, if anything a PROsumer device with a price tag to match and that is why the lack of FireWire is really pissing people off. There are plenty of 'consumer' machines out there with reasonable price tags and specs to match which do not cost anything like the MacBook. The reason the MacBook is priced the way it is is because of its enormously expensive production costs and practices. The thing is way overcooked. As for USB being 'as good as' or a worthy alternative to FireWire... USB is craptastic for audio work and even worse for video. There is not one single digital video camera available that can be operated through USB as can be through FireWire. USB video importing is far from reliable also.

People have been giving this PC with better specs and lower price cliche for years now. It looks like a tired worn out excuse in the face of the fact that Mac sales are growing faster than the sales of these supposedly better and cheaper PCs.

Ultimately we will have to see if MacBook sales suffer from the lack of FireWire, even though most of the market does not use FireWire.

You lay fanboy insults all you want. But in the end that is what it comes down to.
post #453 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I was using an extreme example to illustrate how far some will go to justify anything Apple does as correct and good for the market. You're ostensibly an intelligent person who should have picked that up.

That extreme example is so ridiculous its not a good example.


Quote:
I could say that you are taking a George Bush "nothing we (Apple) do is wrong" stance on this.

I never said Apple can do no wrong. I've said several times I would prefer they keep FireWire until a suitable replacement comes. At the same time looking at the reality of the computer market I can understand this choice.

Will most people stop buying MacBooks because it has no FireWire?


Quote:
Except that Apple only provides FW on a 15" notebook. If they had a model that was 13" with FW that was also more expensive, you'd have a point.

My point is that the 15" is the more expensive machine.
post #454 of 518
I don't know where the data is coming from that postulates that
people aren't using firewire.

Did my Western Digital drive purchase get counted as a USB drive for a Firewire drive? I
use it with my FW connection but my phone has never wrang with someone asking me
just how I hooked up my drive.

My Canon ZR950 has USB but I cannot transfer video data over this connection.


Apple still makes computers ..we still need to see functionality even if that functionality is only used every now and then (Target Disk Mode).

Premium computers should come with premium performance. USB only laptops at @ $1300 are the antithesis of good price/performance.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #455 of 518
Quote:
Not really sure why a civilized conversation has to degrade into personal insults. Outside of the point that you have no evidence or facts to back up your position.

Certainly not a personal insult... unless you consider yourself a fanboy?
Evidence? Facts? What are you looking for? I'm giving you my personal experience just like many others here who share my concerns.

Quote:
people have been giving this PC with better specs and lower price cliche for years now. It looks like a tired worn out excuse in the face of the fact that Mac sales are growing faster than the sales of these supposedly better and cheaper PCs.

I did not mention anything about a PC with better specs. I was alluding to any consumer PC with decent specs and a price tag to match.
The MacBook may be slightly better specced than most but it also has a much higher price tag. Mac sales may be growing fast but PCs still outsell Macs by at least 15 to 1. You may not like it, I really don't either but Apple still have a hell of a long climb.

LOOK HERE

Quote:
we will have to see if MacBook sales suffer from the lack of FireWire, even though most of the market does not use FireWire.

Where is the evidence to show that most of the 'market' do not use FireWire? How do you know for sure what the majority do or do not use? Maybe if they knew what they were missing then the 'majority' would want FireWire on their fancy prosumer notebook with large price tag to match.
Sales have already suffered. I'm not buying and neither are dozens of others who have said so publicly on these and other boards, never mind those who have quietly read and decided not to buy because FireWire looks 'pretty darn useful now that you mention it.'
post #456 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

Where is the evidence to show that most of the 'market' do not use FireWire? How do you know for sure what the majority do or do not use? Maybe if they knew what they were missing then the 'majority' would want FireWire on their fancy prosumer notebook with large price tag to match.
Sales have already suffered. I'm not buying and neither are dozens of others who have said so publicly on these and other boards, never mind those who have quietly read and decided not to buy because FireWire looks 'pretty darn useful now that you mention it.'

Apple is the only OEM that so widely supports FireWire. Intel doesn't support FireWire at all. Its possible to opt for FW most PC users don't see the need and do not opt for it. This is all commonly known.

Looking at the current state of peripheral market most people can get along fine without ever using a FW device. Its impossible to only use FW and never use USB.

Here again is my own list of peripherals and their interfaces. I actually hadn't paid much attention before to the fact that so much is USB. Outside of the hard drive or DVD burner, most other peripherals don't offer a FW option at all.


- Hard Drive (FireWire 400/800, High Speed USB, eSATA)
- DVD Burner (FireWire, USB)
- TV Tuner (USB)
- Digital Camera (USB)
- USB Flash Drive (USB)
- Printer (High Speed USB)
- iPod Video (USB)
- iPhone 3G (USB)
post #457 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA View Post

The "HD" iTunes movies are only 720p as opposed to 1080p...

The MacBook's screen resolution is 1280x800. Why exactly would you want to watch scaled-down (and much larger, in terms of file size) 1080p content instead of native 720p content on that display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Show me a 13" macbook pro from 1999 and I will buy it. I do not want or need a larger screen or heavier computer. Plenty of people have said this, firewire is not a $500 upgrade, that is a separate computer with many other things I don't want.

Correct, FireWire is not a $500 upgrade. It is not even a $1 upgrade. It is a near-dead standard.

Buy USB peripherals like the rest of the market, or keep your current computer.
post #458 of 518
Actually, if you had taken time to read and think about my post before going off on your rant about your personal experience, I was not refuting the fact that aluminum will likely be worse for wi-fi reception than plastic; my only point was that the poster was dead wrong when he said that aluminum "killed it." This is absurd. What does "killed it" mean to you? To English speaking people, this sounds like he is saying that it is so bad that no reasonable person would ever use it.

Thanks for proving my point about the pure ignorance of posters like you, who bring up TWELVE inch laptops (with inferior screens, build quality, graphics, no backlit keyboards, etc.) and try to compare it to the new MB.

Instead of trying to answer a European XPS, I can only look at a North American one because we all know that Euro pricing can vary so widely in different European countries.

As of today at dell.ca:

PROCESSOR\tIntel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache), English\tedit
OPERATING SYSTEM\tGenuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition SP1\tedit
SYSTEM COLOUR\tTuxedo Black\tedit
LCD AND CAMERA\tSlim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam\tedit
MEMORY\t3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (1GB x 2GB)\tedit
HARD DRIVE\t320G 5400RPM SATA HDD\tedit
OPTICAL DRIVE\t8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability\tedit
WIRELESS CARD\tDell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card\tedit
BATTERY OPTIONS\t6 Cell Battery\tedit
SOUND OPTIONS\tIntegrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition\tedit
GRAPHICS CARD\t128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS

$1349 CAD, which is, shocking, wait for it....wait....THE SAME PRICE AS THE ENTRY MACBOOK (educational)!!!! WOW!!!

You do get more RAM and a bigger HDD but an older graphics card and an older CPU. BTW, the HDD and RAM are easy and cheap to replace; you cannot replace the GPU and the CPU. The XPS also lacks a backlit keyboard and is still mostly plastic, with some aluminum accents.

I'm not an Apple "apologist." Stop making sweeping generalizations about other people when you so ardently condemn such an act. In other words, stop being a hypocrite.

I have no intention of buying a new MacBook.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #459 of 518
As far as BD goes, a company called AMEX just released a tiny portable slot loading BD burner (the size of the Air Superdrive) that is USB bus powered, like the Air superdrive, for $300. That would solve that issue for me entirely until Apple gets around to putting them inside.


http://gizmodo.com/5064634/amex-port...ay-fashionable
post #460 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I guess toast 9 is a master piece then. Blu-ray support and software that read and burn bdr for like what? 70 bucks? I've used blu-ray drives on the mac pro as well as the lacie one on a mbp. It isn't complicated. I'm not saying that apple needed to include it this time around but you and the guy you quote are trying to make it sound like a mystical art, it's not. It's already here, toast can do it (and gives you the plugin) and adobe's encore can do it.

They probably just didn't offer it because like steve said licensing and because none of the slot load drives for br are that thin yet. I imagine it'll be a bto on the next mac pro.

People don't have to wait though, you can get one for a mac pro for less than 250 now.

It's funny that you should mention Toast because I do consider it to be somewhat of a "masterpiece." I certainly wouldn't use anything else to burn stuff.

However, the fact remains that Apple itself doesn't have the software to RUN blu-ray smoothly. By run, I mean play the films, not just read data.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #461 of 518
I think it's very funny that if you see the lack of Firewire from a different perspective and you rationally try to explain why you are not up in arms about it, then you are a fanboy.
post #462 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

That's not true pretty much any 599 and up consumer laptop has 4-pin firewire 400 on it. Unless you're talking about netbooks you must not have looked at other manufacturers.

Just to prove you wrong, here are a few random PC laptops without FW, all listed on Futureshop's front page:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...E25BADB50ADADA

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0111628&catid=



Here is a Sony with one, but is is $1K
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

A 13" laptop without FW:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0101467&catid=


As you can see, not "pretty much every every 599 and up consumer laptop has 4-pin firewire 400 on it."
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #463 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

The MacBook's screen resolution is 1280x800. Why exactly would you want to watch scaled-down (and much larger, in terms of file size) 1080p content instead of native 720p content on that display?



Correct, FireWire is not a $500 upgrade. It is not even a $1 upgrade. It is a near-dead standard.

Buy USB peripherals like the rest of the market, or keep your current computer.

Define "near dead"

If no one cared ..there wouldn't be the anger being displayed out here. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that plenty of others don't.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #464 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

I think it's very funny that if you see the lack of Firewire from a different perspective and you rationally try to explain why you are not up in arms about it, then you are a fanboy.

Yes moron is a much better title.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #465 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Define "near dead"

If no one cared ..there wouldn't be the anger being displayed out here. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that plenty of others don't.

I think that "near dead" means that almost no consumer electronic uses FW exclusively anymore, and he is correct.

The outrage on this board reflects several things:

1. Ignorance by some
2. Genuine complains by those who really do need it

For those in the 2nd group, I understand their disappointment, but their group is still very small compared to the the large consumer market that doesn't even use FW.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #466 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

I think that "near dead" means that almost no consumer electronic uses FW exclusively anymore, and he is correct.

The outrage on this board reflects several things:

1. Ignorance by some
2. Genuine complains by those who really do need it

For those in the 2nd group, I understand their disappointment, but their group is still very small compared to the the large consumer market that doesn't even use FW.

I disagree the anger to me reflects


1. An understanding that Apple is a premium computer manufacturer and that means that we understand that they don't scrape bottom barrell but we also understand that we expect them to go the extra mile in a few areas to deliver premium performance.

2. The assumption that the consumer market is what should dictate Apple's featureset is quite absurd. The consumer market doesn't dicatate aluminum chassis but Apple has delivered that. In fact most consumer laptops have more connectivity options (card reader, expresscard, eSATA ports) yet Apple remains ignorant of those features.


Apple has long been the company that gave "more" perhaps the RAM and HDD storage didn't match but dammit we could point to the Superdrive or the built in SCSI or Gigabit Ethernet and say "we're cutting edge" .

The Macbooks are sadly missing cutting edge save for the gorgeous case.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #467 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


The Macbooks are sadly missing cutting edge save for the gorgeous case.

The aluminum manufacturing process and 65nm Nvidia chipset on one die are both cutting edge. The disappointment of firewire cannot take away from that fact.
post #468 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The aluminum manufacturing process and 65nm Nvidia chipset on one die are both cutting edge. The disappointment of firewire cannot take away from that fact.

eSATA ..can't add it
Future wireless technology like Wimax can't add it
Card Reader ...not there use a USB port

They have no expansion and have jettisoned the only other viable connection they had yet they are %10. That is not value.

Apple's legacy of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is legendary. If companies had afflictions like ADHD ...Apple would be the poster child.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #469 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Moving and moved are two entirely different things. You must not work in video because you dont' understand how important this is. Panasonic is currently the only manufacturer with a prosumer camera that doesn't have firewire, and it's limted to model you posted. Sony for example just announced 3 new firewire based prosumer units. What will happen in 5 years should not reflect the state of computers now.

I am a filmmaker. Yes I do understand how important Firewire is. Most of the people I work with are using MacBook Pro, Power Mac, and Mac Pro. I cannot think of anyone around me who is using MacBook for professional video work.

You need to look more closely at Sony's consumer line of cameras USB across the board. Panasonic, JVC, and Canon are using USB across the board prosumer and consumer.
post #470 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes moron is a much better title.

If I don't agree with you, I'm a moron? Good to know that I should automatically discount your thoughts on this for irrationality.
post #471 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

If I don't agree with you, I'm a moron? Good to know that I should automatically discount your thoughts on this for irrationality.

Yes but if a person is moronic ...would I really need them to "count" my thoughts? The minute I begin to agree with morons means I am in fact a moron. I don't want to be a moron.



TenoBell- I can definitely see the video market moving away from any kind of wire connection save for say SDI or HD-SDI. You have Panny and the P2 and Sony and their SxS Expresscard based memory sticks. It makes sense to capture and then remove the card ..ingest and and edit.

Firewire for audio tends to be a bit different. It's more bi-directional. You have high end FW effects boxes like

Duende
TC Electronic Powercore

and a plethora of audio interfaces where firewire does indeed make a difference over USB.

I've seen a bunch of dumbed down responses that center around "well I don't have any firewire devices so it must not be necessary"

Because of Apple's narrow product line the removal of some features affect users in other areas. I know I've been a bit obtuse about glossy vs matte screens. But then I got to thinking. Apple has a BTO program...there's no reason to have customers upset because they've been forced into buying one type of LCD. Macbooks should come in what the majority favors but Macbook Pros should be offered in a choice.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #472 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Just to prove you wrong, here are a few random PC laptops without FW, all listed on Futureshop's front page:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...E25BADB50ADADA

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0111628&catid=



Here is a Sony with one, but is is $1K
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52F1826CE417BD

A 13" laptop without FW:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0101467&catid=


As you can see, not "pretty much every every 599 and up consumer laptop has 4-pin firewire 400 on it."

However, three of those five laptops without built-in FireWire still can be outfitted with the capability by simply buying a FireWire ExpressCard.
post #473 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Define "near dead"

"Relatively uncommon on electronics devices, and if present is in the company of at least one other connection port." External hard drives are almost never found without USB, and consumer video cameras have switched over to USB; at this point, the only equipment that truly needs FireWire is external audio equipment for professionals, which is a pretty niche market segment. Or at the very least, they fall outside of the market Apple wishes to serve with the MacBook.

Quote:
If no one cared ..there wouldn't be the anger being displayed out here. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that plenty of others don't.

The anger is over older equipment without USB slots. Again, the options are to retain your current equipment, buy a Pro, or buy a white MacBook.
post #474 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

"Relatively uncommon on electronics devices, and if present is in the company of at least one other connection port." External hard drives are almost never found without USB, and consumer video cameras have switched over to USB; at this point, the only equipment that truly needs FireWire is external audio equipment for professionals, which is a pretty niche market segment. Or at the very least, they fall outside of the market Apple wishes to serve with the MacBook.



The anger is over older equipment without USB slots. Again, the options are to retain your current equipment, buy a Pro, or buy a white MacBook.

I didn't think you had a sufficient reason for your "near dead" comment. Firewire does things that USB cannot do and that's why it's popular in some areas. Because the masses only do mundane things like hook up printers or extra hard drives doesn't mean there isn't a need for "smarter" technology.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #475 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I didn't think you had a sufficient reason for your "near dead" comment. Firewire does things that USB cannot do and that's why it's popular in some areas. Because the masses only do mundane things like hook up printers or extra hard drives doesn't mean there isn't a need for "smarter" technology.

SCSI does somethings that IDE/SATA do not do.

Even ADB does something USB doesn't do (power key on the keyboard).

Newton does something(handwriting recognition) no other PDA/cell phone could do even today.
post #476 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Firewire does things that USB cannot do and that's why it's popular in some areas. Because the masses only do mundane things like hook up printers or extra hard drives doesn't mean there isn't a need for "smarter" technology.

Trouble is, the MacBook is a consumer level product. Or to borrow your derisive terminology, it's a notebook for the "masses." USB has been the dominant connection standard in the market for years because it's everything most people need, and because it's universally supported. The same cannot be said of FireWire.

I'm sorry that you don't like it, but reality is reality. Again: buy a MacBook Pro, buy a white MacBook, or continue to use your current computer.
post #477 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

Trouble is, the MacBook is a consumer level product. Or to borrow your derisive terminology, it's a notebook for the "masses." USB has been the dominant connection standard in the market for years because it's everything most people need, and because it's universally supported. The same cannot be said of FireWire.

I'm sorry that you don't like it, but reality is reality. Again: buy a MacBook Pro, buy a white MacBook, or continue to use your current computer.

I don't like it and neither does a lot of people. But you're right ..reality is reality...though I think that the legions of disgruntled will continue to voice their opinion.

EVERY Macbook until Oct 14 has had FW. There's really no excuse for Apple not offering FW given their history and the partnerships they've done with Apogee and other vendors.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #478 of 518
I'm not convinced that the new models are as over-priced as people are making them out to be.

In New Zealand, the new high-end aluminium Macbook costs NZ$2899, compared to the old high-end black Macbook, which cost NZ$2399.

So that's five hundred more, and what do you get for it?

A bigger FSB on the core (800Mhz -> 1066Mhz)
Higher speed RAM (DDR2 667Mhz -> DDR3 1066Mhz)
Backlit keyboard.
Apparently far superior graphics chip.
An enlarged glass trackpad with superior multi-touch gestures.

And of course the new manufacturing process, making for a lighter, thinner, stronger, prettier laptop.

Oh and don't forget that thumbscoop!

What do you lose? Firewire and a matte-screen option (I think).

Sure, it's not exactly 'aggressive' pricing. And I don't know whether the upgrades are quantifiably 'worth' an extra NZ$500. But it isn't a rip-off.

On a side-note, one awesome thing is that Apple have given NZers a really good deal! The price is much lower than what you get if you convert the American price to NZ dollars and add our taxes! Awesome!
post #479 of 518
The fact remains that most consumer PC laptops do not have firewire.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #480 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

The fact remains that most consumer PC laptops do not have firewire.

Yes but %60 of them add Firewire. I don't mind if Apple takes the feature away and I just have to pay for it but they've taken a feature away that cannot be added. Fact.

Apple thwarts internal expansion so we must be more strict about missing features.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook