or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible - Page 4

post #121 of 160
Ok, I got the date of the Mac touch wrong (though 2008 isn't over yet ) but what do you reckon of this prediction over a year ago for the new MacBooks in 2008?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #122 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

My objections still apply if the trackpad is clickable like an iPod wheel. I do not l like to drag with the clicker.

Get to liking it. This won't be the same experience, you can use one finger for the move this time, unlike before. You press down and slide with the same finger. How do you drag and drop now? Tap on the trackpad and drag, cause you'll still have that same option.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #123 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

My objections still apply if the trackpad is clickable like an iPod wheel. I do not l like to drag with the clicker.

I don't see the objection if you still get the same tactile response from a spring-backed trackpad on the bottom edge.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #124 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What websites?

Engadget, John Grubber and now AppleInsider are saying the combination of the 9400M and 9600M GT will somehow result in better graphics performance than just a 9600M GT.
post #125 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Engadget, John Grubber and now AppleInsider are saying the combination of the 9400M and 9600M GT will somehow result in better graphics performance than just a 9600M GT.

Usually when you add two chips together, somehow, things are better. Especially when you consider the one of the chips of that two is the only chip in your comparison setup, i.e. and "extra" chip. Seems like common sense to me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #126 of 160
1. thank god this is here.

2. Is boot camp going to be changed at all? It was the feature that first caused me to take the plunge from my pc laptop to the mbp and it was perfect, I assume they wouldn't change this?
post #127 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Somehow, usually when you add two chips together, somehow, things are better.

I wish that were true. This introduces many new issues and we'll have to see how well they have programmed to take advantage or multiple GPUs working in tandem. The last I read on AnandTech a month or so ago, Intel still wasn't able to get their GM45 to correctly switch between integrated and discrete GPUs. Does anyone have any evidence that NVIDIA Hybrid Power is without any major issues?

PS: I don't think there will be two discrete GPUs plus an IGP, but having NVIDIA Hybrid Power does make sense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #128 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremont View Post

1. thank god this is here.

2. Is boot camp going to be changed at all? It was the feature that first caused me to take the plunge from my pc laptop to the mbp and it was perfect, I assume they wouldn't change this?


bootcamp is part of the operating system, it has nothing to do with the hardware (aside from the fact that it only works for Intel macs... duh)

so no, it won't change.
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
post #129 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does any of that seem likely in way to you?

what?
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
post #130 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremont View Post

Is boot camp going to be changed at all? It was the feature that first caused me to take the plunge from my pc laptop to the mbp and it was perfect, I assume they wouldn't change this?

They'll have to add new drivers to support the new HW, but there is no reason to think that they would remove BootCamp from Leopard. There is also no reason to think that Snow Leopard or other future versions of OS X will not support Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #131 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

what?

Sorry, I corrected what I was trying to say in my previous post. My Mac's trackpad isn't working properly these days. It's registering accidental inputs while typing. The option is turned off in Sys Pref and I've tried reinstalling the OS. I think it's a HW issue, but it's quite annoying as I am making way too many typing mistakes these days. \

To restate more thoroughly, I don't see how Apple could possibly not offer FW400, FW800 and a matte option for their Pro machines. If they didn't, they would kill a highly profitable segment of their market.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #132 of 160
There's a bit of confusion with 'glossy' displays here. Let's nip that in the bud.

The MacBook, MacBook Air and glossy MacBook Pro varieties use a glossy plastic screen. It's basically a matte display without the matte coating. The theory is that (given the correct lighting conditions) the glossy display allows you to see the true nature of the information without the 'softness' of the matte coating.

The iMac uses a separate polished, polarised sheet of glass that sits in front of the screen itself. The iMac display is designed to 'enhance' the information. It's this enhancement that makes the iMac's glossy screen such a no-go for pros, because what you see on screen isn't actually what's truely there.

That's the crux, right there. The iMac is the equivalent of a pro sound engineer having to make crucial decisions whilst using Super-Duper Twin-Turbo Bass-Boost headphones, rather than his usual neutral studio monitors.

This MacBook Pro snapshot looks like Apple has gone down the iMac's sheet of glass route which is an absolute disaster. I would agree that the sheet of glass in the iMac is part of the product design (you can't just simply create a matte version by swapping out the panel), which might suggest that the new MacBook Pro is glassy-glossy only...

...I hope not.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #133 of 160
For dragging, I prefer to use two fingers. Left index for the button and right index for moving.

You are right about the single hand (thumb + index) dragging with a click pad though. I wonder if the clickpad will work with both hands?
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #134 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As such, Apple will also be touting some "sick" battery claims on these new notebooks, our sources claim.

I assume "slick" was meant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, a couple of sources believe Apple is reading new displays that also sport a DisplayPort connector and MageSafe adapter.

"reading" should be "readying."
post #135 of 160
IIRC, some of the newer x86 motherboards have similar power saving modes. They incorporate a low-end GPU and then give the option of a more powerful GPU via the PCI-E slot.

Under normal desktop conditions, the system uses the on-board GPU. When gaming, the system switches over to the dedicated graphics card.

A very sensible solution to the power consumption, noise and heat problems of modern high-end graphics cards. No wonder nVidia is now using it in laptops.
post #136 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

There's a bit of confusion with 'glossy' displays here. Let's nip that in the bud.

The MacBook, MacBook Air and glossy MacBook Pro varieties use a glossy plastic screen. It's basically a matte display without the matte coating. The theory is that (given the correct lighting conditions) the glossy display allows you to see the true nature of the information without the 'softness' of the matte coating.

The iMac uses a separate polished, polarised sheet of glass that sits in front of the screen itself. The iMac display is designed to 'enhance' the information. It's this enhancement that makes the iMac's glossy screen such a no-go for pros, because what you see on screen isn't actually what's truely there.

That's the crux, right there. The iMac is the equivalent of a pro sound engineer having to make crucial decisions whilst using Super-Duper Twin-Turbo Bass-Boost headphones, rather than his usual neutral studio monitors.

This MacBook Pro snapshot looks like Apple has gone down the iMac's sheet of glass route which is an absolute disaster. I would agree that the sheet of glass in the iMac is part of the product design (you can't just simply create a matte version by swapping out the panel), which might suggest that the new MacBook Pro is glassy-glossy only...

...I hope not.

A sheet of glass of that surface would easily add a few hundred grams to the weight of the MBP, I can't imagine Apple would make such a choice. It'd also seem stupid to me if these new machines strat at 1300 dollars. In the current economic situation, that would mean Apple's market share going back down to 5% or so.
post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

I assume "slick" was meant.

I'd say "sick" was meant.

15"MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 24" iMac 3.02 dual, 4GB Ram, Logic Studio, Apple TV (3rd Gen), 16GB iPod Touch (4thGen), Airport Express.

Reply

15"MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 24" iMac 3.02 dual, 4GB Ram, Logic Studio, Apple TV (3rd Gen), 16GB iPod Touch (4thGen), Airport Express.

Reply
post #138 of 160
Speaking as a developer, if it really has two GPUs it would be great if they announced a new beta of Snow Leopard to try on it.
post #139 of 160
As a few others have alluded, I don't think the leaked Apple model and price list tells the whole story as I can't imagine Apple is making it $200 more expensive to buy the lowest-priced laptop they make. I wouldn't trust what has been revealed so far but we'll obviously know for sure soon enough.
post #140 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

I assume "slick" was meant.

"reading" should be "readying."

Or MageSafe, for that matter. A magnetic latch certainly isn't a magician, though I can see how it could be deemed magical if this were the 13th century.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #141 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

This MacBook Pro snapshot looks like Apple has gone down the iMac's sheet of glass route – which is an absolute disaster. I would agree that the sheet of glass in the iMac is part of the product design (you can't just simply create a matte version by swapping out the panel), which might suggest that the new MacBook Pro is glassy-glossy only...

...I hope not.

You make an interesting point about the glass, but from my experience—as best I recall, though it's rather outdated—with glass, CR-39 (plastic) and polycarbonate is that premium glass offers the best option for accurate colour rendering and refractive indexing.

PS: I recall reading about carbon fiber/glass combinations for high-end telescopes that are lightweight while offering excellent accuracy.


(note: My knowledge of optics is pretty dated, so please correct me if I've grossly missed something here)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #142 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As a few others have alluded, I don't think the leaked Apple model and price list tells the whole story as I can't imagine Apple is making it $200 more expensive to buy the lowest-priced laptop they make.

Why not? If the MBs too have the new MBP button-less trackpad and other improvements as well, you can expect this from Apple.

Besides it is supposed there will be a model at $900.
post #143 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Thats probably the ugliest laptop Apple ever made.....

Agreed.

Though maybe it is a sign we have dipped into some sort of technological "uncanny valley" and in a few years time Apple will stumble, almost accidentally, upon the perfect laptop design.

One can always dream.
post #144 of 160
That new MacBook Pro looks tits!!!
post #145 of 160
May I just say, I don't think there will be anything else other than a 1 hour talk on the sexy new laptops and sexy new Nvidianess... No display.
post #146 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think [the power button is] just hard to see in the image. The case previews showed it's at the back on the right, no longer inside the speaker grill. There looks like there's something there. They can't remove this because you need to use it for a force-reboot and for resetting your PMU/SMC.

All the more likelihood for the monitor dock...with an exposed right side, it only fits that Apple would put the power button there. However, I think that would be a bad place for it for some people. If it is put on a cluttered desk/table, things are bound to bump into it. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausse View Post

Is that a SONY laptop? Don't like it all sorry Ive....


Still happy with my Timeless MBP design

Same here...the black is going to make it look more like a PC, less like a classy Mac. I absolutely love how my nice aluminum Mac stands out from all these black, white, grey, etc plastic PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I like that line of thinking very much. If we assume that the Macbook entry point is $1299, that's a $200 jump. the current Mini is $599-799 so a $200 jump of the average takes it to $899.

What we would see is the same processor in the Macbook, Nvidia GPUs, Mini Displayport, DVD burner like the $799 Mini.

That'll certainly stop people buying Minis as alternatives to their Apple TVs and force them to buy a 3rd party alternative instead.

It will also mean that people will get a powerful headless Mac at an affordable price.

Of course, it kind of takes away the Mini as a starter pack for PC users into the world of Mac but at the same time, it makes it into a machine where switchers aren't left with a situation where they need more power after switching and don't see anything they like and switch back.

I'm saying right now, I will place my order the day after the event if that $899 model is a souped up Mini. That's only about £550 where I am, which is still relatively cheap compared to PCs anyway. It's been 14 months since an update, bring on the Mini overhaul.

Raising prices in this economy???????????? And with the dollar regaining its value (thus making Asian parts cheaper)????????

That would be the most stupid thing I have ever heard Apple do! No chance of that happening (and like others have pointed out...look at the MB in the code).

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

For dragging, I prefer to use two fingers. Left index for the button and right index for moving.

You are right about the single hand (thumb + index) dragging with a click pad though. I wonder if the clickpad will work with both hands?

While I have had the tap turned on on my trackpad for about a year now(primarily for ease of right clicking...two finger tap), there are occasional situations where I do like the solid button. Anyways, the current option for dragging is to double tap(with one finger), move, tap. It is very easy to do! As for both hands...it detects that there are two fingers on the trackpad...that could be the fingers of two different people for some reason.
post #147 of 160
Does anyone notice what could possibly be a iLife 09 logo on the side of the box on the MBP in the second photo?
post #148 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gawd. I f'n despise Laptops. Nothing like a bunch of drones sitting around in a park texting on a f'n laptop.

We have this ridiculous fantasy notions that we have parks of geniuses working in collaboration, amidst serene settings, and changing the world.

All we have consists of 50 average people bitching, flirting, surfing and basically moving their dull lives outside for everyone else to be surrounded by the portable pod people incapable of enjoying Nature.

Really? How do you feel about the cell phone?
post #149 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed.

Though maybe it is a sign we have dipped into some sort of technological "uncanny valley" and in a few years time Apple will stumble, almost accidentally, upon the perfect laptop design.

One can always dream.

Worse than the toilet seat iBook?
post #150 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

That new MacBook Pro looks tits!!!

Noble sentiment, nobly expressed.
post #151 of 160
Has anyone noticed that ALL the ports are on one side of the laptop? That is if the pictures in last weeks post are geniune (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...es_future.html), which do seem to match these.

They also run down the whole length of the laptop (the front ones are covered with tape, ie look at previous posts pictures), I'm guessing the very front port being the DisplayPort, as the others ports in the picture don't fit that description (ie you say mini displayPort, they appear bigger than the standard displayPort, and why would they go mini when a started size displayPort would fit comfortably?). I wonder what the very back port is in that case. and what that circular button is for next to the very front port.

Given these facts do you think we are in store for a docking station? Perhaps even the display that will take the laptop inside as mentioned in previous patents?
post #152 of 160
Apple's webstore is an interesting mix of new and old. Product description of the MBP lists the nVidia GPU as well as some other "known" features - no BluRay - but the pictures are still of the last generation of MBPs. So either the picture is of the MB and the MBP is not being treated to the same design feature as the MB or the site is in the middle of it's update?

Interesting, if nothing else.
Freedom is never Free. It is paid for in blood, sweat, and tears...
Reply
Freedom is never Free. It is paid for in blood, sweat, and tears...
Reply
post #153 of 160
Please no ALL glossy on a Pro machine. With the price being as high as it is you'd think they'd give us a choice. Design-wise? Too Frankenstein-ish = butt ugly.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #154 of 160
I think design-wise these machines will be stunning in person. These spy-shots do it no justice. I'm a pretty disappointed about the only glossy screen, however we still don't know if this is the case. There may be a matte option; it makes sense to include one as a BTO option like they currently offer.
post #155 of 160
Well the apple store is down already.
post #156 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

Did anyone see what engagdet updated with?!

TWO FULL NVIDIA GPUS?!?!?!

A lot of notebooks have two GPUs, as most use the chipset with the IGP. That IGP is automatically shut off when a dedicated graphics card is added to the laptop. The difference here is Nvidia's Hybrid SLI. When the MBP is on battery power, the IGP is primarily used to save battery power. When the computer is plugged in, the IGP and GPU are both active.
post #157 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by plums View Post

For the first time I felt the need to chime in. Hello all.

If the new Macbook Pro does indeed use 'Geforce Boost' which combines both GPU's to increase performance. Which is one part of Hybrid SLI, the other being Hybrid Power that switches between GPU's for efficient power usage. The only dedicated GPU's that takes advantage of Geforce Boost are the Geforce 9500M G or lower like the 9300M GS and9200M GS as there are no performance benefits from using Geforce Boost with any stronger GPU's like The Geforce 9600M GT.

So if this is true we're not even going to get a mid-range GPU. From all the SLI benchmarks I have seen, albeit with two dedicated GPU's in SLI, there are almost no performance gains unless the 3D application is explicitly designed to use it.

I think it is more likely that the Macbook Pro's wont use Geforce Boost but will Hybrid Power. As the term Hybrid SLI means both or either of those I wouldn't be surprised if it has been thrown around loosely. But if it does we're going to be getting low to low/mid 3D performance.

why do you asssume it will use hybrid boost?
It could simply use Hybrid power which would make MUUCH more sense.

Looking at the rumors - assume that Apple is indeed using the nvidia mcp79 chipset.
for most things, the integrated gpu will be good enough.

Then when you need REAL power - say adobe cs4 acceleration, you simply switch on a high powered graphics - something like the 9800GT (which would be a perfect replacement for the aging 8600GT) and switch it off when you want to go back to low power usage like watching movies etc (even valid for Bluray playback due to nvidia's video offload)
post #158 of 160
It's gonna take impressive specs on the 9400M and the ability for it to assist the 9600M GT to redeem this update from the jaws of mediocrity spec wise.
post #159 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You make an interesting point about the glass, but from my experienceas best I recall, though it's rather outdatedwith glass, CR-39 (plastic) and polycarbonate is that premium glass offers the best option for accurate colour rendering and refractive indexing.

PS: I recall reading about carbon fiber/glass combinations for high-end telescopes that are lightweight while offering excellent accuracy.


(note: My knowledge of optics is pretty dated, so please correct me if I've grossly missed something here)

Apple could have done what they did with the glass in the iPhone/iTouch, which is to have a very thin layer of hard optical glass bonded to a plastic layer. That would give the cleanability of glass, while making it very light, and not really breakable. It could be broken with a hard whack from something with a small tip, but that would likely damage the screen with a plastic face anyway.
post #160 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Please no ALL glossy on a Pro machine. With the price being as high as it is you'd think they'd give us a choice. Design-wise? Too Frankenstein-ish = butt ugly.

anyone watching the presentation online? please please PLEASE make the matte screen available! Even the Apple employees recommend the matte screen for digital photography work!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New photo reveals MacBook Pro, new display also possible