or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

post #1 of 185
Thread Starter 
During its special notebook Tuesday, Apple unveiled its new Cinema Display featuring a 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with built-in iSight video camera, mic, and speakers in a thin aluminum and glass enclosure.

The Cupertino-based company said the new offering is designed especially for the new MacBook family, and includes an integrated MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports and the new Mini DisplayPort, making it easy for MacBook users to quickly connect and power their notebooks as well as use their favorite peripherals.

"The new LED Cinema Display is the most advanced display that Apple has ever made," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "It is a perfect fit for our sleek new line of aluminum MacBooks with its 24-inch LED-backlit screen, aluminum and glass enclosure, integrated camera, mic and speakers, MagSafe charger, three USB ports and Mini DisplayPort."

Resolution and Specs

The 24-inch glossy, widescreen display features a 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution and uses LED-backlit technology to provide instant full-screen brightness and great power efficiency. It's suspended by an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display easy, and includes a built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers, making it ideal for video conferencing with iChat, listening to music or watching movies.

The new display also includes three self-powered USB 2.0 ports so users can leave their printer, camera, iPhone 3G or iPod dock connected when they take their MacBook with them. The thin display also includes a built-in universal MagSafe charger so users can leave their notebook's MagSafe power adapter in their travel bag.

Apple's Greenest Display Ever

Apple also announced that the new LED Cinema Display is the greenest display it's ever developed, made with mercury-free LED technology, arsenic-free glass and highly recyclable materials. It meets stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status, the company said. The new display contains no brominated flame retardants, and all internal cables and components are PVC-free. Its foam packaging has also been reduced by 44 percent.



Part of the next-generation DisplayPort industry standard, a new Mini DisplayPort delivers a pure digital signal that can drive up to a 30-inch widescreen display, Apple said. The Mini DisplayPort is ultra-compact at just 10 percent the size of a full DVI connector. Adapters are also available for using the MacBook's Mini DisplayPort with older generation VGA, DVI/HDMI and Dual-Link DVI displays.

Pricing & Availability

The new LED Cinema Display will be available in November through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $899. It will require a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the new Mini DisplayPort.
post #2 of 185
I figured they were waiting for LED to update the Cinema Display. I suppose this means the iMac will go LED sometime soon.
post #3 of 185
What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?
post #4 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?

That sounds like a given.
post #5 of 185
This sucks, I can only get this display if I upgrade my Macbook Pro?
post #6 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.
post #7 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

To be fair, when I plug my laptop into an external monitor, I usually have the lid closed, so speakers and an iSight are welcome additions in that configuration.
post #8 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

Dude, I hardly think they're making us pay for those added features. It's the same price point as the old 23" cinema display and it's LED and an inch bigger!
post #9 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

This sucks, I can only get this display if I upgrade my Macbook Pro?

I was thinking the exact same thing and even asked it in another thread on here but if there are speakers and an iSight and a mic in the new Apple Cinema Displays, what's the point? They only work on new Macbooks, Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs, which all have these built in anyways and I know that some people are saying that people obviously use them for their Mac Pros but they're currently not compatible, right? As well as them not even being compatible with older systems now either, which really sucks, what do we do if we want to buy an Apple Cinema Display for an older machine, if it it was just one that I had or could have bought Yesterday or even last week?
post #10 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?

Agreed. Some adapter we don't know about yet?
post #11 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?

Odd decision indeed. Considering the display only works with mini Display Port, it even alienates current Mac users, unless they get a converter. Alittle disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.
post #12 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

I imagine that this is a forward-thinking decision. I would bet that the next versions of the Mac Mini and Mac Pro will work well with these displays.

Also, if you are actually working on the new display with your MacBook in iChat, for example, you would probably want to be looking into that display's camera as opposed to the iSight on your laptop which would probably be off to the side.
post #13 of 185
So they finally come out with a display that will look good next to the current iMac and it wont actually connect to it. Not only that but to use it with a laptop you have to plug 3 cables in! What about this is good. PC Laptops have docs that you just put your laptop down on and everythings connected not feck around with wires each time you use it, arnt mac's meant to be the simple things.
post #14 of 185
I suppose I should be grateful for the updates we got today. But I spent a lot of money last January on what Apple propped up as the best Mac ever. Are they telling me my $14,000 Pro won't work with their new line of cinema displays? Am I going to have to pay for the overpriced outdated Cinema Displays from '04? I'd hate to know I've been waiting all this time for a 30 inch LED display that isn't coming.
post #15 of 185
i think it is ridiculous to bash the monitor because of the graphics adapter, which i am sure apple will provide an adapter, or sell one, that you can use with your mac Pro, or hell, mac mini.

but...

ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GLOSSY DISPLAY, want Matte anti-reflective screen, very hard to do graphics work with a glossy/shiny display.

cmon apple, glossy is kinda stupid and your prosumers know better!!!
post #16 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Dude, I hardly think they're making us pay for those added features. It's the same price point as the old 23" cinema display and it's LED and an inch bigger!

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?
post #17 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?


yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

P.S. BTW - If you're Canadian you'd actually save money. have you looked at the exchange rate recently? 1 dollar is 1.145 canadian dollars
post #18 of 185
So I know Im kinda slow at this, but I like the concept of a bigger screen for at home use and being able to plug my ipod or if i get an iphone and my printer or whatever but like do you have to use both screens when your laptop is connected i would think thats kinda of annoying if you do i mean i would want it to pretty much replace my laptop while im using it. Is there different settings like dual screen and single one?
post #19 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

I know, that's my point also, I'm not arguing against you, I don't think but they are just as expensive as they always were, I still think they were really overpriced in the first place and nothing has changed, price wise.
post #20 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

So I know Im kinda slow at this, but I like the concept of a bigger screen for at home use and being able to plug my ipod or if i get an iphone and my printer or whatever but like do you have to use both screens when your laptop is connected i would think thats kinda of annoying if you do i mean i would want it to pretty much replace my laptop while im using it. Is there different settings like dual screen and single one?

Yes, on current MBPs it's the F7 key
post #21 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

Maybe it's really for the desktops? I don't think the camera modules are that expensive, they're the same thing that's included in disposable phones. The product is cheaper and better than the previous version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Agreed. Some adapter we don't know about yet?

I thought DisplayPort could be made backward compatible using the same connector - just with a simple cable adapter.
post #22 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?

Just because it has the same screen size and resolution doesn't mean they are alike. LED backlighting is more expensive than fluorescent backlighting.
post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

P.S. BTW - If you're Canadian you'd actually save money. have you looked at the exchange rate recently? 1 dollar is 1.145 canadian dollars

Also to with the exchange rate, I get an even slightly better exchange rate than that because I'm British and I'm just studying over here but the point is, the exchange rate isn't always going to stay the same or even be that high for Canadians and I don't even know what the price will be for the Apple Cinema Displays in Canada is going to be, I was just guessing, it might even be more.
post #24 of 185
ALL THE CINEMA DISPLAYS ARE GONE!!!!!

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/mac/

Looks like the new 24" glossy, DisplayPort, Magsafe Display is the only monitor Apple has anymore. Not only that, but under "In the Box" for both the Display and the MacBook Pro no adaptors are included (like miniDP-DVI)! The store is still down...hopefully it holds something.

By the way, to all those complaining about the iSight & speakers...I'm thinking that Apple was making this more of a docking station (in clamshell mode) than a second display! I'm a bit confused about the speakers though, but maybe it was to clean up a desk area (no speakers with long wires)...I'm sure you will be able to add your own speakers. But for the desktop users and those of us with the current notebooks....?
post #25 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Just because it has the same screen size and resolution doesn't mean they are alike. LED backlighting is more expensive than fluorescent backlighting.

I understand that but is it really worth it for most people, when it's 3 times as much of the price?

As I said before, I could buy a new Macbook or an iMac 20 inch for almost the same price and LED backlit too (obviously not a comparison as I would imagine the price would increase significantly with the size of the screen with them).
post #26 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I understand that but is it really worth it for most people, when it's 3 times as much of the price?

We will have to see after testing. LED is known to have better dynamic range and color reproduction than older fluorescent.
post #27 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

A little disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.

You are comparing a 6-bit TN-panel with less colors and far less color accuracy with conventional CCFL-backlight to a S-IPS display with LED backlight here... 14ms is more than fast enough and 1000:1 is absolutely sufficient for creative work (in a dim room with no direct light even 400:1 is plenty, none of our older NEC and EIZO TFTs have more than 700:1 and every single one of them outclasses anything Acer has ever built).

900 bucks for a 24" S-IPS with LED backlight is not expensive at all. If it would not be glossy, I would be very tempted (but with this mirror and without FW-hub they can keep it).
post #28 of 185
Wobegone, if you're reading

Weren't you insisting the other day that hardly anyone uses external displays on laptops. Now that Apple has released displays specificly for their laptops would you like to recant that?

Feel free to recant "Macbooks don't need Firewire" as well.
post #29 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I understand that but is it really worth it for most people, when it's 3 times as much of the price?

3x what price? More like 2x. I haven't seen a $300 24" display. I think it's more than just the backlight, the cheap displays, and the current 20" iMac use 6 bit panels, and Apple's separate displays most often use 8 bit panels.
post #30 of 185
Where is the Firewire port?????????????????????????
post #31 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

Also to with the exchange rate, I get an even slightly better exchange rate than that because I'm British and I'm just studying over here but the point is, the exchange rate isn't always going to stay the same or even be that high for Canadians and I don't even know what the price will be for the Apple Cinema Displays in Canada is going to be, I was just guessing, it might even be more.

Yeah, possibly, with the state of the US economy though, my hopes aren't high for the dollar to increase in any value.
post #32 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

To be fair, when I plug my laptop into an external monitor, I usually have the lid closed, so speakers and an iSight are welcome additions in that configuration.

I usually have my lid open, but if I were to video chat, I wouldn't even be in the picture on my laptops isight. My monitor is in front of me (not my laptop) when I am at home, so even with a laptop it makes sense. I don't buy Apple monitors because they are too overpriced for me, but I'd be happy for my monitor to have the features this one has.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #33 of 185
DisplayPort info in case you are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort


Looks like only Apple HP and Dell have ever used it in production before. Im not sure if Mini DisplayPort is a smaller formfactor or not. I assume it is.


Yet another video adapter for my Mac users to sort through. DVI, Mini-DVI, Micro-DVI, VGA, ADC, etc...
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
post #34 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

ALL THE CINEMA DISPLAYS ARE GONE!!!!!

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/mac/

Looks like the new 24" glossy, DisplayPort, Magsafe Display is the only monitor Apple has anymore. Not only that, but under "In the Box" for both the Display and the MacBook Pro no adaptors are included (like miniDP-DVI)! The store is still down...hopefully it holds something.

By the way, to all those complaining about the iSight & speakers...I'm thinking that Apple was making this more of a docking station (in clamshell mode) than a second display! I'm a bit confused about the speakers though, but maybe it was to clean up a desk area (no speakers with long wires)...I'm sure you will be able to add your own speakers. But for the desktop users and those of us with the current notebooks....?

Still there.

http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #35 of 185
I have lots of questions about this display.
If I understood correctly it's going to transfer the sound from the mic and the sound to the speakers through USB port? Or is it part of the miniDP function?

If it is going through USB wouldn't it slow USB down a bit if I'm listening to music or my mic is turned on?

I also wonder if hooking up the monitor would shutdown mic and speakers on the laptop? Otherwise if there's any lag with the sound we are going to have a very bad experience with this guy.

How would my regular speakers work? Are there going to be separate controls for display speakers and regular ones? Or one of them would override the other like it is right now with internal laptop speakers?
post #36 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Yes, on current MBPs it's the F7 key

F7 is for video mirroring: same image on both displays. If you close the lid, wait for the thing to go to sleep, then wake the system with your external keyboard or mouse, it'll automatically use the external monitor only.

if you decide to use BOTH monitors, monitor spanning, it gives you an extended desktop across both displays. Once you start using dual displays, you'll NEVER want to use one display again!

I keep palettes on my MacBook Pro and work on my external monitor. Or i keep Mail open on the MBP and Safari open on the external. With Spaces, you get even more flexibility.

The only downside is that mice are EXTREMELY inefficient with dual displays. I use a trackball which is faster and more accurate than a mouse. PLUS, you'll NEVER run out of mouse cable or mouse space. Once you give yourself the few hours it takes to get used to a trackball, you'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier. The Kensington Expert mouse is the BEST trackball, BTW!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #37 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

3x what price? More like 2x. I haven't seen a $300 24" display. I think it's more than just the backlight, the cheap displays, and the current 20" iMac use 6 bit panels, and Apple's separate displays most often use 8 bit panels.

I didn't know that about the difference between Apple's display and clearly don't know much between the technologies in displays, I was just wondering myself on the justification of the higher price tag for something, the display I just got was $350 Canadian Dollars and though nothing a like, I just couldn't understand most users, especially ones just buying it for their Macbook at the moment would want to pay that much? Which is why I was asking .
post #38 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

i
ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GLOSSY DISPLAY, want Matte anti-reflective screen, very hard to do graphics work with a glossy/shiny display.

cmon apple, glossy is kinda stupid and your prosumers know better!!!

We can all thank Al Gore for this environmental friendly crap that began with the FUGLY iMac and now has carried on in these aberrations. It's like the scene in the Simpsons movie when everybody throws their trash at the announcer when he announces "environmentally friendly"!
Meanwhile- iPhones to be sold at Walmart!!!
post #39 of 185
Actually I quite like the new ACD. I have a LG display claimed to sport 10000:1 CR and 5ms response time and cost me $350 and it looks like crap even compared to the existing ACD. Dynamic CR is Useless unless you wanna be shined to blind or death.

All these Asian (especially Taiwan or Korea based companies)LCD manufacturers are just playing with specs. When it comes to Display, what you see is what you get. Period.

And there will be some adapters to convert DVI to DisplayPort, as a matter of fact, the new MacBook/Pro line offer mini-display to DVI/VGA adapters as optional. Since the whole Mac line is going DisplayPort and most likely completing the transformation till Feb. 09, making a ACD with native DVI port won't make any sense.

I wish there will be a 30'+ version soon, that would be a beautiful beast!!!
post #40 of 185
How come nobody's even curious about the 30" ACD? What's happening with that one is what I want to know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display