or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display - Page 2

post #41 of 185
Apple's site list compatibility as "Compatible with MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro systems with Mini DisplayPort". So the Mac Pros with Mini DisplayPorts must be on the way.
post #42 of 185
I never thought I'd see the day but I'm done with apple. I hate glass screens and if this is the only option they are going to give us then FUCK EM!
post #43 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?

All Samsung monitors I've seen in the 23-24" size and $300-500 price range use a decidedly inferior quality LCD panel to Apple's, they use CFL backlighting instead of LED, and I believe that, if they contain any speakers at all, they contain just 1. And no iSight.

IMHO, this new Apple display is a great addition to the product line. And it is compatible with older systems through the use of an adapter.
post #44 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops.

It also means it won't work with non-Apple PC. I already own a PC and don't want to change but also plan on buying a MB as a laptop. So I would need a monitor to hook on both of them. That's a no-go for Apple, I will have to look at HP or the like...
post #45 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I never thought I'd see the day but I'm done with apple. I hate glass screens and if this is the only option they are going to give us then FUCK EM!

For a guy with only 73 posts, I can only assume you were never a fanboy anyway.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 185
Despite the complaints, I think this display will get those considering a Macbook Pro to think twice. You can get a well featured Macbook with a matching 24 inch display for the just a bit more money and that's an attractive offer when you're in the shop and ready buy.

The real value of this display will show when they update the Pro and the mini. Some will argue that you can just get a cheaper display somewhere else and that's true. I have a 22 inch Samsung right in front of me. However, I would imagine most computer illiterate consumers go to Apple to buy "the complete package". They don't want to sift through Dell's various ranges of DVI/HDMI/Mini Display monitors, even if they are half the price. Those terms mean nothing to them.
post #47 of 185
post #48 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Still there.

http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/

The page is still there, but it is not on the "Mac" page which you scroll horizontally. Only the new display is.
post #49 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

And it is compatible with older systems through the use of an adapter.

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.
post #50 of 185
The store was up for a while and I did see displayport > DVI adapters, so I'd assume they'll offer a whole suite of adapters for us previous-gen mbp owners.
post #51 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.

It wasn't me that said that but I saw the mistake that you did :P. I do however agree with you though.
post #52 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

The page is still there, but it is not on the "Mac" page which you scroll horizontally. Only the new display is.



On the new Cinema Display Homepage
post #53 of 185
Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #54 of 185
So, does anyone have any issues with Apple's new Cinema Display "docking station"? I think it's pretty ingenious from a business perspective.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by L255J View Post

That sounds like a given.

I imagine, someone will justify cannibalizing the Mac Pro from having DVI-I and say ``we needed the space.''
post #56 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.

The speakers, iSight and Mic have made sense since they took the FW iSight camera off the market 50 years ago. I hope the quality of the speakers, mic, and, especially, the iSight camera, are top notch.

As for clean looking setups. I BT keyboard and mouse with your MB or MBP connected off to the side with a 24" ACD will look nice. Since this is an IPS display, does anyone have an idea when a larger display will come available?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.

There is no guarantee it's an H-IPS panel. It's most likely an S-PVA panel.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...?news_id=817.0

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Quote:
Samsung 24-inch LED-Backlit LCD TV Main Specifications

Display size \t
24”

Resolution \t
WUXGA (1,920 x 1,200)

Liquid crystal mode \t
S-PVA

Viewing angle \t
180° left, right, top, and bottom

Brightness \t
250 nits

Color saturation \t
111%

Contrast \t
1,000:1
post #58 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The speakers, iSight and Mic have made sense since they took the FW iSight camera off the market 50 years ago. I hope the quality of the speakers, mic, and, especially, the iSight camera, are top notch.

As for clean looking setups. I BT keyboard and mouse with your MB or MBP connected off to the side with a 24" ACD will look nice. Since this is an IPS display, does anyone have an idea when a larger display will come available?

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

This wreaks of making the All-in-One Video/Audio IM chatting being so important to people.

That died for me ten years ago.
post #59 of 185
I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple also says good-by to all professional users.

Good job, Mr. Jobs
post #60 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple says good-by to all professional users.

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.
post #61 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.


Right, I'm always willing to pay an Apple premium price - so far design made for outstanding and diverse function. These products seem to be one step too far. Especially as there was the chance to introduce cool, competitively priced notebooks. I'm really really disappointed.
post #62 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I didn't know that about the difference between Apple's display and clearly don't know much between the technologies in displays, I was just wondering myself on the justification of the higher price tag for something, the display I just got was $350 Canadian Dollars and though nothing a like, I just couldn't understand most users, especially ones just buying it for their Macbook at the moment would want to pay that much? Which is why I was asking .

I paid $1300 for my 23" Apple Cinema Display, to use with my MacBook. I could have gotten another brand (at the time) for like $800. It was worth every penny.
post #63 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.

If I were in the UK there is no f'n way I'd buy this panel over the Hazro. Apple is banking on the Eco Friendly, LED backlit appeal to instant-on and naturally higher color gamut, but lower than this panel reality. They are targeting, as you said, a sweet spot in the market that is too expensive for the general consumer and doesn't offer enough for a large section of Professionals.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search...=&search=hazro

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MO-002-HO
Hazro HZ24Wi 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black Aluminium

Click image to enlarge\t
£369.99 ex VAT
£434.74 inc VAT

Hazro has introduced 2 new models that are all H-IPS standard.

http://www.hazro.co.uk/products/products.html

[CENTER][/CENTER]
post #64 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.


I think it is just a reference to the last sentence in the second to last paragraph in the news article of this thread.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #65 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

In this case, i like the AIO, but if you want to have your own speakers there are 3 USB ports in the monitor and the analog/optical audio out port on Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.

Having these adapters that you'll never use already included with the product and thus factored into the price is hidden fee. I'd much rather hayve to buy the single adapter I need than to have a multitude of adapters in boxes (like I used to) sitting around. Moving to DisplayPort is the best option out there and one that will probably be adopted by most other PC vendors and most likely outlast all other digital video interface standards that have come before it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 185
hmurchison, thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately, introduction of this display means that the price of the aluminium displays is not going to go down right now =( I had such high hopes it would happen
post #67 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

I paid $1300 for my 23" Apple Cinema Display, to use with my MacBook. I could have gotten another brand (at the time) for like $800. It was worth every penny.

That's nice to know but I was thinking more with people opinions and comparisons by Today's standards and Today's recent update to the Apple Cinema Displays but I'm guessing we won't actually know until people start getting their hands on them. I was just seeing that it's starting to get the whole consumer "all in one" thing for a professional display and a professions price tag. What about users that want a display from Apple that's not for professional uses or for professionals that will want to buy one for an older machine or a PC that will have to buy adapters and don't really care about the whole speakers, iSight and mic options?
post #68 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.

Couldn't agree more.

Apple has lost touch with the things that matter...USB *and* Firewire hub and perhaps IR + remote for the Mac Pro folks. iSight and speakers shouldn't be integrated in the monitor.

I really hope Apple has more displays coming soon, ones that are matte and not so overloaded with useless garbage.

A matte display with a more functional hub would sway me back towards an Apple display...add Front Row support and I'll buy the display right away.
post #69 of 185
In every price discussion of Apple displays, there will always be a group of guys who bring up their horrible TN panels they got at a closeout sale with their miserable color shifting and narrow viewing angles and cheap casing and trumped up contrast ratios (that only consider the bright end) and falsified response times and on and on. But hey, it's LCD, and it's the same size!

Apple will always be a little more expensive than its technical equivalent -- I'll pay extra for fantastic design and integration anyday. That said, your credibility goes out the window when you compare an IPS LED to that ugly Sceptre you got at Costco. Sorry, folks, it's not an acceptable comparison.

At any rate, the price has not changed. And of course Apple will come out with an adapter for use with current Macs. Anyone who believes otherwise is just trying to stir the pot.

P.S. Well said, hmurchison.
post #70 of 185
Looks amazing, im in for one

___________________
iPhone, iPod
Reply
iPhone, iPod
Reply
post #71 of 185
Cant wait for more new apple stuff

___________________
iPhone, iPod
Reply
iPhone, iPod
Reply
post #72 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In this case, i like the AIO, but if you want to have your own speakers there are 3 USB ports in the monitor and the analog/optical audio out port on Macs.


Having these adapters that you'll never use already included with the product and thus factored into the price is hidden fee. I'd much rather hayve to buy the single adapter I need than to have a multitude of adapters in boxes (like I used to) sitting around. Moving to DisplayPort is the best option out there and one that will probably be adopted by most other PC vendors and most likely outlast all other digital video interface standards that have come before it.


What you're talking about is an ultra-niche market composed of about 8 people that would want to use their MacBooks with a display with a 2nd iSight and speakers because they absolutely want to use the screen and have the MacBook lid shut (which also means you'll be buying a keyboard and a mouse.)

It's a waste of resources, money, and does appeal to anyone (especially not since the world is heading for a recession or possibly a depression). Not even you.

Nobody in their right mind would or should buy this product.

This product is DOA. You can't use it with the Mac mini or Mac Pro yet, you can't (or can barely) use it with a PC. Most people buy a notebook computer because they aren't or don't want to be tied down to a desk. Ultra-niche. Ultra-dumb.

Apple needs to take the basic design of this display, remove all the retarded decisions such as built-in iSight and speakers, add options for a matte finish and make the hub more functional and market it to Mac mini, Mac Pro and PC users.
post #73 of 185
Have you ever seen an ACER monitor?? They suck beyond belief. Specs or not... they suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Odd decision indeed. Considering the display only works with mini Display Port, it even alienates current Mac users, unless they get a converter. Alittle disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.
post #74 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

Have you ever seen an ACER monitor?? They suck beyond belief. Specs or not... they suck.

This display it way too over-featured and -priced for the "normal" user, which means just to surf the web...and not usable for a professional due to its glare surface. So who's left? May be all the investment bank bosses who got subsidised by our tax money.
post #75 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple also says good-by to all professional users.

Good job, Mr. Jobs

Those adaptors are also £20 each but look at the dual-link DVI one: £69.

Old MBP owners could get a £10 or less DVI cable to hook up a high res display. For people who own a high res display and need to use projectors, this could set them back over £100.

You can't buy these connectors 3rd party because Mini-displayport isn't standard.

It's understandable that in bad economic times that they would try to make money on everything but there's a point beyond which you have to think that if you treat customers with more respect they will pay more instead of perhaps not buying anything for a while or going elsewhere.
post #76 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Apple has lost touch with the things that matter...USB *and* Firewire hub and perhaps IR + remote for the Mac Pro folks. iSight and speakers shouldn't be integrated in the monitor.

If you really want to have a separate USB hub & a separate FW hub & a separate mic & a separate camera & a separate IR receiver, with all their associated cables cluttering up your desktop you are more than welcome and there are plenty of vendors willing to accommodate you, but it seems that the pragmatic market has chosen simplicity over clutter.

You have to wonder why Apple's desktop market is growing faster than their notebook market. We know it's not the outdated Mac Mini or the mammoth Mac Pro; it's the AIO iMac. And don't forget that people have been asking for an Apple "docking station' for many a year. This solution not only makes it simple by combining 3 cables into one (including the power source), but also opens up Apple to the business sector for those that take their laptop home but use desktop peripherals at work. This is probably more common than you think.

Then you have the Mac Mini and Mac Pro who could use these new features of this new ACD and the larger ones to come.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

I guess this and another post are a direct reference to my own. I know full well that Apple's Cinema Display is an IPS rather than some TN panel; you don't need to pontificate the differences. Maybe the display has a leg up because it is LED and not CCFL, but lets face it the majority of casual users (your "folks") wouldn't recognize the difference, especially between the newest generation of CCFLs and the early generation of panel-quality LEDs. And that does not excuse the fact that 14ms and 1000:1 CR (if this is a glossy panel, then why isn't the CR higher?) is quite sub-standard today. Maybe 2 years ago these specs would have been impressive, sorry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

That's great, but people use their laptops for more than just graphics. Maybe like movies and other multimedia? For a display that touts the word "Cinema," it sure hasn't lived up to it (yet).

My .02 cents
post #78 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There is no guarantee it's an H-IPS panel. It's most likely an S-PVA panel.

True, but either is still better than TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

This wreaks of making the All-in-One Video/Audio IM chatting being so important to people.

At least it doesn't change the look. A few features that a given user won't use really doesn't bother me. Having one model that covers everybody might cost the same as offering two models that reduces the economies of scale. The camera & mic on the notebook don't bother me either, even if I'll never use it. It's that issue about economies of scale that undercut an argument that it would be cheaper to offer a model without said feature.
post #79 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you really want to have a separate USB hub & a separate FW hub & a separate mic & a separate camera & a separate IR receiver, with all their associated cables cluttering up your desktop you are more than welcome and there are plenty of vendors willing to accommodate you, but it seems that the pragmatic market has chosen simplicity over clutter.

You have to wonder why Apple's desktop market is growing faster than their notebook market. We know it's not the outdated Mac Mini or the mammoth Mac Pro; it's the AIO iMac. And don't forget that people have been asking for an Apple "docking station' for many a year. This solution not only makes it simple by combining 3 cables into one (including the power source), but also opens up Apple to the business sector for those that take their laptop home but use desktop peripherals at work. This is probably more common than you think.

Don't put words into my mouth. I *don't* want any of those things. I want a monitor with nothing else but a few ports. Most people don't use the iSight and hardly anyone would enjoy the sound coming out of built-in speakers.

AIO is an ok concept to a certain extent. If the quality of the built-in peripherals don't match the quality of external peripherals then, I'm sorry but, they simply SHOULDN'T be in the product.

The idea of having to buying severely crippled peripherals when one already has higher quality ones is wasteful and idiotic. I have never budged on my claim that camera phones are a stupid waste. Nobody wants to see shitty quality pictures. Hell people with real cameras can't even take a clear picture of leaked Apple products...you think a camera phone is going to improve the world? Or a shitty built-in iSight in the LCD Display?

Even you can see that this product is totally niche. It's restricted to the Apple notebook base...then it's restricted to people that actually give a shit about plugging their notebook into a bigger display...and then it's restricted furthermore by people that have 899 dollars to blow on a pro-quality monitor with consumer-quality cameras and speakers in an economy that is faltering.

Who's going to buy this LCD Display? Certainly not the MacBook students that are always wishing for a cheaper Apple notebook. Certainly not the MacBook Air people that bought their slow, dumbed-down computer to have the best travel computer ever. A handful of MacBook Pro users *may* want this display.

Search your feelings, solipsism, you know it to be true.
post #80 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatrick View Post

Have you ever seen an ACER monitor?? They suck beyond belief. Specs or not... they suck.

Actually, I believe the question (properly) to you is, have you ever owned an Acer monitor? Much less a high-end one? No need replying if you haven't then. I own a 24" Acer P243WAid, and its quite a fine display, all truth be told.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display