or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Third Debate Blow by Blow

Third Debate Blow by Blow

post #1 of 191
And we're off....

Candidates take stage 9:02 EST
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 191
McCain looks more awake---Obama looks more tired than last time.

Strong opening from McCain. Could have used more detail.

Strong opening from Obama.

Taxes: McCain wins this round. "Why raise taxes at all" and "spread the wealth" attacks were very effective.

Deficit: McCain has more specifics than Obama. Obama focusing on branding McCain Bush III. McCain slams him with "I'm not President Bush, if you wanted to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago." This is going to be a memorable line. Still, I think this round is a draw in the end. Obama came back strong and McCain went on the defensive.

Tone of campaign: McCain is delivering a VERY aggressive attack. Calls Obama's integrity into question. Obama says "100% of your ads have been negative." McCain is responding strongly to Obama's rebuttal. Calling Obama out on supposed inaccuracies in his ads. They are going at each other pretty strong. Obama trying to diffuse by basically putting the "tone of campaign" issue aside. McCain looks far more passionate and engaged which may give him this round.

***Edit---Obama addressing Ayers issue. I think this may be a mistake. Gives a decent explanation, though. Now distancing himself from ACORN...another plausible explanation. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. We'll see.

Running Mates: This is basically fluff on both sides. Draw.

Energy/Trade: Obama is in talking point land, and I think struggling a bit. McCain's proposals were not new, but better communicated. McCain wins the smaller argument about NAFTA from my point of view. McCain slams Obama on never being south of the border...I think he got too aggressive on the Columbia issue. Obama's response didn't really add up though.

...off to just watch for a bit.
post #3 of 191
[CENTER]
John McCain looks like the above in tonight's debate[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #4 of 191
My first impression is that McCain is reacting hyper defensively. Obama appears cool and collected. He takes attacks in stride, brushes the baseless stuff aside, and addresses the main issues succinctly.

McCain , IMO, is doing pretty well though, compared to the last debate.

Re: attack ads; McCain acts like his shit don't stink.
post #5 of 191
[CENTER]
Here's Johnny[/CENTER]
post #6 of 191
McCain turned the tables with the "Joe the Plumber", even though he never really talked with "Joe". He's out for blood.

And some low blows as far as the negative campaign, McCain. Low. Many of the people that do attend your rallies are racist assholes, sorry.

This race could have just gotten a lot tighter though.

But some of these claims McCain's getting in (he won the toss) are horrible.

Expect a spike in McCain's polls, dead cat bounce I hope.

I really don't want this old man for president.
post #7 of 191
[CENTER]
The devil is in McCain[/CENTER]
post #8 of 191
New internet memes:

Joe the Plumber

Overhead projectors

++ to Obama for hating on FoxNews
post #9 of 191
I really thought McCain was going to say (about Palin) that she was a breast of fresh air.

Wow, I'm beat, this one will go down in history. McCain did school Obama on judging your opponent though, he came out swinging. Erratically, emotionally and dishonestly but a noble effort. I hope that McCain stays in Washington DC, we need someone like him in the Senate.

I just don't ever want to give him full reign of the whole enchilada.

Oh, and by the way Palin's child has downs syndrome...not autism.
post #10 of 191
[CENTER]
DOA McCain blows his top again[/CENTER]
post #11 of 191
I thought McCain won the debate pretty solidly. The biggest difference tonight was McCain's demeanor, which was more focused and pointed (too much so at one point, actually). Neither committed any major gaffes. McCain's "you should have run four years ago" line was very good. I thought he won solidly on taxes/Joe the Plumber. He also dinged him on Ayers and ACORN.

That said, Obama stuck to his talking points and came across well enough. He avoided the traps he needed to. I don't know whether his explanation on Ayers and ACORN were sufficient for undecided voters or not. Overall, I'd say McCain is going to get a bump from this. After 2 years and a billion dollars, we'll be back to a statistical dead heat on election day. Imagine that.
post #12 of 191
[CENTER]
Obama hammered McCain[/CENTER]
post #13 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I thought McCain won the debate pretty solidly. The biggest difference tonight was McCain's demeanor, which was more focused and pointed (too much so at one point, actually). Neither committed any major gaffes. McCain's "you should have run four years ago" line was very good. I thought he won solidly on taxes/Joe the Plumber. He also dinged him on Ayers and ACORN.

That said, Obama stuck to his talking points and came across well enough. He avoided the traps he needed to. I don't know whether his explanation on Ayers and ACORN were sufficient for undecided voters or not. Overall, I'd say McCain is going to get a bump from this. After 2 years and a billion dollars, we'll be back to a statistical dead heat on election day. Imagine that.

I disagree.

It seems conservatives think the winner is always the aggressive one. In every single debate McCain/Palin have been the aggressor -- look how well this has worked out so far.

Obama consistently stood by his stated desire to raise the level of discourse. McCain's use of Joe (whose last name he had wrong) was awkward especially for anyone who actually watched the entirety of the exchange between Joe and Obama. Most effective in that exchange was McCain's surprised "Zero WTFBBQ???" response to Obama stating his clear policy point. This being McCain's last Joe exchange made him look like he was abusing this poor plumber for a political point...

It will be a draw/Obama lead.

Exchange.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #14 of 191
I honestly don't think it matters who won this debate. Obama has this election in the bag. I'm not disputing that McCain was no slouch either. But too long, too late.

Props to Bob Scheiffer for moderating so well. His questions were good, and well constructed because he includes the candidates views in the asking - forcing them to give you responses they haven't memorized.

Can someone clarify something to me, did McCain actually say that he talked to Joe the Plumber too?
post #15 of 191
Independents don't like McCain because he's angry, erratic, and attacking. Obama is cool and collected.
proud resident of a failed state
post #16 of 191
As usual, by a large margin uncommitted voters believe Obama won. But I don't even really think people are watching the debate and looking to see who "won" in any objective fashion. I think people just don't like Republicans right now, they don't like Bush, and so they don't like McCain. I don't think these people in these polls are really looking at debating style or how well they made their points. They've just decided to not elect another Republican, and nothing else that happens matters.
post #17 of 191
Exchange...

Sorry folks. I am beat... I was running a silica column right up until 845 which left me 15 minutes to get dinner and get home... It was the first time I ever passed a car moving the speed limit on my bike with fully human power...
post #18 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

As usual, by a large margin uncommitted voters believe Obama won. But I don't even really think people are watching the debate and looking to see who "won" in any objective fashion. I think people just don't like Republicans right now, they don't like Bush, and so they don't like McCain. I don't think these people in these polls are really looking at debating style or how well they made their points. They've just decided to not elect another Republican, and nothing else that happens matters.

Fair enough.

I should say that it is difficult to separate those responses with actually listening to the debate, however. One would need to have a better question to gauge the level of how much just hating on Republicans is affecting these things.

You must admit, though, that McCain is troll like in his visual gaffes... That doesn't suit these debates well...
post #19 of 191
Quote:

Which of course means, inevitably, that the polling will show Obama won and he'll get a bounce, then win in a landslide.

Yep, here they come: CBS, 53-22, CNN, 58-31
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #20 of 191
[CENTER]
McCain The Troll blows his top for the third straight debate[/CENTER]
post #21 of 191
Think back to the debate, guys...

Did McCain go into much detail about his proposals?

I remember parts about mortgages, but nothing much else specific...

The Columbia trade agreement thing was bizarre...

It is clear that they are going to try to paint Obama as a tax and spend liberal for the rest of the race... I am fairly certain the campaigns response is in the offing...

Meanwhile, I am a little concerned that the GOP may be running out of cash, and a cashless GOP is an angry GOP...
post #22 of 191
[CENTER]
McCain was on FIRE![/CENTER]
post #23 of 191
"ZERO!?"

blink

blink blink

blink

blink

blink blink blink

And to note, I watched the debate without a split screen so NOW I see that zinger in effect.

Awesome.
post #24 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

"ZERO!?"

blink

blink blink

blink

blink

blink blink blink

And to note, I watched the debate without a split screen so NOW I see that zinger in effect.

Awesome.

Does anyone know Morse Code? Was McCain trying to send a Secret Message?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #25 of 191
About winning the debate. Here you go.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...oll/index.html

Quote:
Poll: Debate watchers say Obama wins Story Highlights
58 percent of those polled who watched the debate say Obama is the winner

Poll: Obama's favorable rating up to 66 percent, McCain's down to 49 percent

Slightly more Democrats than Republicans respond to poll

I can understand why more Democrats responded.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #26 of 191
Quote:

Uh huh.
post #27 of 191
Quote:

"ZERO!?"

blink

blink blink

blink

blink

blink blink blink

Awesome.

OMG!!

That's great . . . I dodn't watch the debate but I listened to it. And this is the first one where I knew Obama won.
I think that listening allows the substantial aspects to be heard.

But with this vid then I know for sure: Go Oby-Won!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #28 of 191
Quote:

McCain looks more awake---Obama looks more tired than last time.

Agreed.

Thought Obama could have made a point of following McCain's "logic" that being on the same committees as Republicans would therefore make him a NeoCon.

It seemed to me that McCain got a lot more interrupt time and last words in, but spoiled it with his constant references to poor old rich Joe the plumber and oddball Columbian Free Trade agreements.

I found these both to be laughable, but then I am not American and don't react to the Pavlovian signals of topics that are taken as profound by many in the States.
post #29 of 191
When McCain pressed the Lewis "wallace" comments issue, Obama responding by mentioning that there were shouts of "terrorist" and "kill him" at McCain/Palin rallies that were highly inappropriate. After Obama explained that Lewis was right by condemning the atmosphere encouraging such remarks but wrong about comparing them to Wallace, it was McCain's turn.

"I'm proud of the people that come to my rallies", he starts off... and proceeds to go into a passionate defense of his supporters... as if pointing out what one supporter shouted out was somehow an attack on all of his supporters.

I was disappointed that Obama didn't jump on that one... but it would have been like running up the score in a ballgame that you controlled from start to finish.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #30 of 191
Even the Fox focus group thought Obama won........

There were a bunch of undecideds in that focus group and in the end Luntz asked if any of them had switched and it went like this:

Yes. Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama.

Luntz: This is a good night for Barack Obama.

Ouch.

post #31 of 191
What was this all about?

Anyone else think McCain's smile is creepy? When he does it it reminds me of the preacher from Poltergeist 2.

Also, are John McCain and his mother the same age?
post #32 of 191
post #33 of 191
Quote:
I was disappointed that Obama didn't jump on that one... but it would have been like running up the score in a ballgame that you controlled from start to finish.

Yeah, that one was pretty sad.

McCain: "How DARE you insult veterans, SIR!"

America:
post #34 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Even the Fox focus group thought Obama won........

There were a bunch of undecideds in that focus group and in the end Luntz asked if any of them had switched and it went like this:

Yes. Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama.

Luntz: This is a good night for Barack Obama.

Ouch.

It looks like McCain got a hold of some really good stuff! " Wow man! What a rush! "
post #35 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It looks like McCain got a hold of some really good stuff! " Wow man! What a rush! "

"Looks like I took the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"

And Obama already has an ad from this debate. Fork, over, done.
post #36 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator View Post

What was this all about?

I remember that - Schieffer was coming around to shake hands with both candidates, and they got mixed up as to which way to go around the table.

But somehow that picture symbolizes the debate. The non-verbal communication from the two of them was so different. Obama just looks calm and cool and positive, and McCain looks twitchy and weird. I think that has a big effect on viewers, perhaps more than what comes out of their mouths.

In fact maybe this picture could come to symbolize the entire campaign.
post #37 of 191
Quote:

"Looks like I took the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"

And Obama already has an ad from this debate. Fork, over, done.

I knew that reminded me of some scene!

Yeah I think " the republicans are on fire and it still raining gasoline ". We're watching the last embers of the neocon control in Washington go up.
post #38 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Haha.

Obama just looks calm and cool and positive, and McCain looks twitchy and weird. I think that has a big effect on viewers, perhaps more than what comes out of their mouths.

I think this is a point not to be missed.

I too kept noticing just how weird McCain was acting with his mannerisms. And the times he would sniff loudly for all to hear.

Do any of you all notice as I do how after the debates McCain buzzes around aimlessly bouncing off of different spots on the stage giving his wife a quick hug then off he goes trying to give goofy gestures to the crowd?

I watch Obama embrace his wife like a normal human being embraces his spouse and he takes a natural amount of time to do so.

McCain almost bounces off of Cindy and it looks like everything he does is just token gesture and FAKE.

It really makes McCain look bad.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #39 of 191
post #40 of 191
Best debate so far though. Candidates going at each other over real issue. It gets disappointing when they rehash the same stuff over and over. Yes yes we know already that 95% of tax payers get a "tax cut" and alright already about $5000 tax credit for health care.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Third Debate Blow by Blow