or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › High-quality photo comparison: the new unibody MacBooks

High-quality photo comparison: the new unibody MacBooks - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandutzu View Post

forget FW. give me an eSATA. Much more useful (speed and booting)

Unless I missed it on Wikipedia, the problem with eSATA is it cannot power external devices. USB 3.0 (specs 90+% complete) will be faster than eSATA and FireWire400, plus it will have the benefit of being backward compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 which will make the transition transparent. Obviously, if you have a computer with USB 3.0 ports you will look for devices that support USB 3.0 so you can take advantage of the speed it will offer.
post #42 of 48
In the new unibody construction, is it still possible for anyone to install their own RAM?
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownzeal View Post

In the new unibody construction, is it still possible for anyone to install their own RAM?

Yes, you take off the battery cover and in the bay there are 8 screws to be removed (as far as I understand it), giving access to the RAM slots.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Yes, you take off the battery cover and in the bay there are 8 screws to be removed (as far as I understand it), giving access to the RAM slots.

Cool, thanks.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Now, I know some people are upset about the lack of firewire on the new MacBook. While many of your thoughts as to why it's missing may be plausible, you might take a look at the tear-down pictures to get a feel for the internals of the machines. Sure, from the outside it looks like there is plenty of room to throw in a firewire port, but if you look at the MacBooks logic board and case design, you will see that there is no more room without making the laptop larger.

Either you have to give up a different port or increase the overall size if you really want that firewire port. Would you be complaining if Apple only included one USB port, but gave you Firewire?

I would love it that way and never complain - only praise.

Why Not Remove One USB2 Port To Make Room For One Firewire Port? Then you can run more devices with hubs for both off the one of each on the MacBook. This port change has forced me to buy one of the last 2.4GHz Refurbished C2D Black Books for only $1,099.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandutzu View Post

forget FW. give me an eSATA. Much more useful (speed and booting)

That's all very well and good, but they didn't supply one of those either. One USB2 and one FW400/800 port would have done the trick.
post #47 of 48
There was not enough room in the Macbook to have firewire and I guess it makes sense to destinguish the low-end macbooks to the macbook pro.
SECURITY ALERT: Android wallpaper app that steals your data was downloaded by millions
SECURITY ALERT: Android wallpaper app that steals your data was downloaded by millions
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsadler View Post

There was not enough room in the Macbook to have firewire and I guess it makes sense to destinguish the low-end macbooks to the macbook pro.

That's not so. There is plenty of room for 2 USB2 ports as well as Firewire. Just look at the old MacBook and you will see. Anyway I love my Black MacBook. Plus it can see 6 GB of RAM like last year's MacBook Pros can.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › High-quality photo comparison: the new unibody MacBooks