or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Due next from Apple: refreshed 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Due next from Apple: refreshed 20- and 24-inch iMacs - Page 4

post #121 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post

I have heard that the new iMacs could incorporate LED displays and even there will be a version in black. Somebody knows anything about
that?

http://applediario.com/2008/10/18/ha...-de-los-imacs/

Beautiful, amazing!- I'll keep my fingers crossed. Get rid of the ugly racoon look and I will upgrade. Maybe make the back silver. And change the stand into something more versatile (vertical adjustability) .
post #122 of 184
The keyboard should have a multi-touch in place of the numeric keypad.
post #123 of 184
I know hard drives are cheap these days...but it would be nice to see updated iMacs with 500gb and 1TB as standard sizes. Many PC desktops are already stocked with these capacities.
post #124 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I was just thinking that, although I don't think it's likely, despite the fact that they've made it really convenient on the new notebooks.
post #125 of 184
Quote:

That seems like a bad idea.

So you hold your right hand for the mouse button, and your left hand for moving between keys and multitouch pad? Or right hand switch between multitouch and mouse?
Too complex!

The only thing that could work is inventing a combo mouse/touchpad device for the desktop iMac system.
post #126 of 184
Quote:

It is more simple than that. The Mighty should just go away and be replaced by a new multi-touch input device providing every kind of movements, clicks and gestures. No need to touch the numeric keypad.

EDIT: oh, dacloo had the same idea.
post #127 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iMac 24"
2.53GHZ and 2.8GHZ
Same form factor and ports
Nvidia 9400M + 9600M GT
(256MB VRAM and 512MB VRAM)

Is this really needed in the iMac? I think Apple did it in the MBP to save energy while on battery. But then no one knows how such an option would play with the Snow Leopard system optimizations.
post #128 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Is this really needed in the iMac? I think Apple did it in the MBP to save energy while on battery. But then no one knows how such an option would play with the Snow Leopard system optimizations.

True, Maybe a 9800 GT of some sort in the new iMac 24"
post #129 of 184
Quote:

Eiwww. that would be terrible. I take it you don't use the keypad very often...
post #130 of 184
What's the target date for snow leopard??? I'd hate to buy a new imac in November just to have to update the OS in 3 months....
post #131 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Eiwww. that would be terrible. I take it you don't use the keypad very often...

Well they already left it off the wireless kb. Sign of things to come?
post #132 of 184
Quote:

Well they already left it off the wireless kb. Sign of things to come?

OK, let's rephrase. I could see that kind of keyboard as AN option. I hope it would not be the only option...
post #133 of 184
So looks like no updates before the end of the year on the Mini or Mac Pro?

Bummer. I have been ready to buy for a while, but looks like you won't be getting my cash for a long time. And the hackintosh is looking better and better.
post #134 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Wouldn't the Nvidia 9400M be kept regardless, since it provides the controller chips? To reuse the existing Macbook motherboard designs.

I also am curious to see what Snow Leopard will do with these new Nvidia chips. Will it feel like a processor upgrade right out of the box, or do we have to wait for OpenCL app rewrites etc? Will Snow Leopard see Nvidia 9400M as a second processor?, and 9800 GT as a third? ...

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #135 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

That seems like a bad idea.

So you hold your right hand for the mouse button, and your left hand for moving between keys and multitouch pad? Or right hand switch between multitouch and mouse?
Too complex!

The only thing that could work is inventing a combo mouse/touchpad device for the desktop iMac system.

Something the size of an old-fashioned mouse-pad, but multitouch?
Would be very natural to use since you move just your hand, not a mouse.

post #136 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think it will. The more I look at it I see the design tradeoffs that
afflict the macbook. It's so small and compact that I believe Apple
"could" have added FW but didn't want to go through the design
difficulties.

The iMac is expansive by comparison and there's no excuse not to keep
the FW on it. In fact I'd love if they standardized on FW800 and moved to
one of those USB/eSATA combo ports.

My daughter's 12" iBook has firewire. I don't think size or room had anything to do with not including it on a MacBook 13.3".

Just a thought.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #137 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag View Post

My daughter's 12" iBook has firewire. I don't think size or room had anything to do with not including it on a MacBook 13.3".

Just a thought.

The battery/harddrive panel forces the logic board to be a small size (and while also keeping everything so thin)

or at least it looks like that to me.
post #138 of 184
Possible feature: inbound DisplayPort?

iMac becomes instant dock for Macbooks.
iMac can be used as monitor for new DisplayPort devices ( TV tuner with DisplayPort? )...
iMac can be chained, as per DisplayPort standard.

Inbound HDMI would have allowed for easy PS3 gaming and Blu-Ray extension, but HDMI seems to be drifting away towards DisplayPort.

post #139 of 184
Are we going to see a refresh by this year's end to what has become the red headed step child of the Apple line?
I know consumer machines are where the money is, but it seems they are ignoring their professional base.

Just hoping after we get this iMac update out of the way that the MP's will be next.
post #140 of 184
I find it hilarious that there was a google ad for psystar at the bottom of one of these pages
post #141 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Possible feature: inbound DisplayPort?

iMac becomes instant dock for Macbooks.

I don't know if we'll see it, but that is a great idea.
post #142 of 184
Quote:

I don't know if we'll see it, but that is a great idea.

unlikely, though, you'd think - with the new 24" display just released and marketed with that exact purpose...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #143 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you could get a studio that's bigger than a closet?.

There I go again thinking I know best what I need.

I'll take your advice to let Apple work all that out for me and just tell when it gets around to it. Along with the bill.
post #144 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post

I have heard that the new iMacs could incorporate LED displays and even there will be a version in black. Somebody knows anything about
that?

http://applediario.com/2008/10/18/ha...-de-los-imacs/

We are already struggling withe the problems of the glossy screen.

Have you seen how washed out the LED screens on the Macbooks look?
post #145 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Have you seen how washed out the LED screens on the Macbooks look?

Would you care to tell us? I suppose very few have seen a new Macbook.
post #146 of 184
i was waiting for a big breakthrough in the imacs but now with the new cinema display and the new 15" MBP, i can get dual screen with equal power to an imac apart from it isnt anchored to a desk

so unless the imacs get quad cores before the end of the year which will benefit from snow leopard .... im off to buy a MBP
post #147 of 184
Oh great! Now I've joined yet another forum on which to consume countless hours! You guys are funny! I love the, "72dpi image the client found on the internet," joke. I've been around a while too, I guess. I remember spray painting my old Apple II flat black, just because I hated the color beige so much (still do). Remember the Mac IIs? God, those were expensive. But, I still remember drooling over the form factor of those first "modular" power-user Macs. Now, at least I can laugh over conning my old boss into buying me a loaded Mac Quadra 700 for like $7,000, back in the day. Ahh . . . those WEREN'T the days. Those were the days when you HAD to have both a PC and a Mac on your desk. But, since I wasn't about to spend $7,000 of my own money on a Quadra for home, I then bought my first PC. And then another, and another, and another . . .

So, after a long, painful respite from being a loyal Apple user, I have finally left WindowsWorld for good. A month ago, I disconnected all of my PCs, and I returned back to MacLand, full force, purchasing two brand new, Penryn-aluminum iMacs--the midline 20" for my girlfriend, and the top-of-the-line 3.06GHz 24" iMac for myself (I wanted the better graphics chipset and true 8-bit color depth display). I still need to buy two more MacMinis (to use as HTPCs), but, of course, I'm waiting for the "refresh." Ah well . . .

I didn't want a tower, because I wanted to get rid of the boxes all over and under my desks. Although my intended applications kinda do justify needing the power. No longer working in Design & Pre-press Land, I've reverted back to my earlier vocation--filmmaking. So, of course, I'm going to be pushing quite a few megapixels around my brand new, 24" iMac, at full, 24-frame, HD resolution. Working in HD, sure, it would be nice to also have integrated Blu-Ray authoring capability (I'm guessing that WON'T be part of the iMac refresh; if it is, I'll really be ill). But, I digress . . . Damnit, I just wish I could buy this big-ticket stuff at the "beginning" of its "third-generation product development cycle." I imagine the prevailing iMac predictions are correct. New, refreshed iMacs, just around the corner, with brilliant new LED screens, a whole new digital I/O port, and a lower-Wattage power soak. Great. Why couldn't I have waited just 30 more days for my new-found "Mac revelation" to spawn?
post #148 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post

Oh great! Now I've joined yet another forum on which to consume countless hours! You guys are funny! I love the, "72dpi image the client found on the internet," joke. I've been around a while too, I guess. I remember spray painting my old Apple II flat black, just because I hated the color beige so much (still do). Remember the Mac IIs? God, those were expensive. But, I still remember drooling over the form factor of those first "modular" power-user Macs. Now, at least I can laugh over conning my old boss into buying me a loaded Mac Quadra 700 for like $7,000, back in the day. Ahh . . . those WEREN'T the days. Those were the days when you HAD to have both a PC and a Mac on your desk. But, since I wasn't about to spend $7,000 of my own money on a Quadra for home, I then bought my first PC. And then another, and another, and another . . .

So, after a long, painful respite from being a loyal Apple user, I have finally left WindowsWorld for good. A month ago, I disconnected all of my PCs, and I returned back to MacLand, full force, purchasing two brand new, Penryn-aluminum iMacs--the midline 20" for my girlfriend, and the top-of-the-line 3.06GHz 24" iMac for myself (I wanted the better graphics chipset and true 8-bit color depth display). I still need to buy two more MacMinis (to use as HTPCs), but, of course, I'm waiting for the "refresh." Ah well . . .

I didn't want a tower, because I wanted to get rid of the boxes all over and under my desks. Although my intended applications kinda do justify needing the power. No longer working in Design & Pre-press Land, I've reverted back to my earlier vocation--filmmaking. So, of course, I'm going to be pushing quite a few megapixels around my brand new, 24" iMac, at full, 24-frame, HD resolution. Working in HD, sure, it would be nice to also have integrated Blu-Ray authoring capability (I'm guessing that WON'T be part of the iMac refresh; if it is, I'll really be ill). But, I digress . . . Damnit, I just wish I could buy this big-ticket stuff at the "beginning" of its "third-generation product development cycle." I imagine the prevailing iMac predictions are correct. New, refreshed iMacs, just around the corner, with brilliant new LED screens, a whole new digital I/O port, and a lower-Wattage power soak. Great. Why couldn't I have waited just 30 more days for my new-found "Mac revelation" to spawn?

Everyone I know who uses Macs (including me) has a similar, but worse story. Apparently, this is what it means to be a Mac user nowadays. I'd wait until the new Macs have been reviewed before you let the buyers remorse sink in too much. You can start kicking yourself in ernest when Nehelem iMacs come out. Honestly, the machines you got are pretty dang good, and will be for a long while. At least another six months or so...

-Switchy McSwitcher
post #149 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

Everyone I know who uses Macs (including me) has a similar, but worse story. Apparently, this is what it means to be a Mac user nowadays. I'd wait until the new Macs have been reviewed before you let the buyers remorse sink in too much. You can start kicking yourself in ernest when Nehelem iMacs come out. Honestly, the machines you got are pretty dang good, and will be for a long while. At least another six months or so...

HA! Yes, I'm sure (I mean, about everyone's 'worse' story). Didn't mean to sound so whiney in my first, ever, AppleInsider forum post. At least I caught the first Penryn "speed-bump" in mid-cycle. Let me try and balance my initial statement . . . Yes, I'm happy with my shiny new Penryn iMacs. And, I expect the prevailing rumor community to be mostly on-target for their fall '08 iMac refresh predictions. A lower-power CPU, with about the same horsepower? No big performance loss there, although I was trying to green-up my home a bit more (the current 24" iMac consumes 280 Watts, and the 20" uses 200 Watts). A new digital display port? Interesting, since all my other devices now run through some sort of HDMI "router" (i.e., a home-theater AV receiver), I still find it a bit odd that I'm sending plain 'ole analog VGA to my 52" LCD display. Also, I wasn't expecting Blu-Ray drives to show up in new iMacs anytime soon anyway (cost, heat, licensing expense,etc.). Based on nothing more than my own intuition, I would also expect an ExpressCard/34 media slot to appear with the fall iMac refresh.
post #150 of 184
Quote:

Are there any real-world tests comparing Nehelem with current chips? New generations of chips come every year, the last several haven't been as big of an advance over the previous as they were hyped to be.
post #151 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there any real-world tests comparing Nehelem with current chips? New generations of chips come every year, the last several haven't been as big of an advance over the previous as they were hyped to be.

Nehelem Tests

"We've been told to expect a 20 - 30% overall advantage over Penryn and it looks like Intel is on track to delivering just that in Q4." -Anandtech
Zoom!

-Switchy McSwitcher
post #152 of 184
I think it's entirely possible that the iMac will continue using an Intel chipset. Since they don't use integrated graphics, and don't need power-saving on a desktop, switching them to the Nvidia chipset would just be a waste.
post #153 of 184
Quote:

Nehelem Tests

"We've been told to expect a 20 - 30% overall advantage over Penryn and it looks like Intel is on track to delivering just that in Q4." -Anandtech
Zoom!

-Switchy McSwitcher

Remember that those are DESKTOP quad-core cpus, for mobile cpus (which the iMac uses), the results maybe a bit different because of the TDP Intel wants to reach. And mobile nehalem cpus will not be ready before Q3 2009 for the quad-cores (iMacs) and late Q4 2009 or early Q1 2010 for the dual-cores + gpu (notebooks). Also most of the performance gains come from the re-introduction of hyperthreading (2 threads per core) and the integrated memory controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think it's entirely possible that the iMac will continue using an Intel chipset. Since they don't use integrated graphics, and don't need power-saving on a desktop, switching them to the Nvidia chipset would just be a waste.

I agree, but it also depends on the cost of the simgle chip nvidia chipset vs the dual chip Intel chipset, and the availability of both chipsets in quantities needed by Apple. Of course it would be less risky to use different chipsets, just in case... Anyway, both will use intel cpus.

I think that the real question is: will Apple update the iMacs to LED-BL displays too. They have the 24" model, they would need to find a 20" model that is not too expensive (in order to be able to keep about the same price as the current models.

Since there are no faster cpus than 3.06GHz, will Apple offer the LED-BL displays and similar clock speeds with no price change, or will they have to increase the price of some models and/or decrease the clock speed like they did with the 13" MacBook?
post #154 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I think that the real question is: will Apple update the iMacs to LED-BL displays too. They have the 24" model, they would need to find a 20" model that is not too expensive (in order to be able to keep about the same price as the current models.

Since there are no faster cpus than 3.06GHz, will Apple offer the LED-BL displays and similar clock speeds with no price change, or will they have to increase the price of some models and/or decrease the clock speed like they did with the 13" MacBook?

I think the new iMacs will get NVIDIA gpus. All the better to take advantage of CUDA.

Apple have kinda hit a wall WRT performance with the iMac. Using the GPU will be a way to milk performance out of these machines and narrow the widening performance gap between iMacs and pc desktop machines.
post #155 of 184
Which part of November is this new iMac gonna be out in the market ?
post #156 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think the new iMacs will get NVIDIA gpus. All the better to take advantage of CUDA.

Apple have kinda hit a wall WRT performance with the iMac. Using the GPU will be a way to milk performance out of these machines and narrow the widening performance gap between iMacs and pc desktop machines.

Apple doesn't care about CUDA. Apple will be using OpenCL with 10.6.
post #157 of 184
November is approaching soon.

So, will this new iMac come out in November ?
post #158 of 184
Don't you guys sorta think for the next iMac wait until there is a 4 core one? Wouldn't that be possible in 2009?
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #159 of 184
If there's a lesson in Apple's new product roll outs, it's that they wait until their prior announcement of new products is shipping. Since the Airs are seemingly out the door now, the only thing holding back new iMacs is the shipment of the 24" LED Cinema Displays. I saw the new 24" LED Cinema Display at the Apple Store hooked up to one of the new MacBook Pros. So production of the new Cinema Displays must be ramping up and their shipment soon. I would venture a guess that an announcement of the new iMacs would be on Monday, November 10th or Wednesday, November 12th, pending the shipment of those new displays.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #160 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

. . . I saw the new 24" LED Cinema Display at the Apple Store hooked up to one of the new MacBook Pros . . .

How'd it look? Were you able to notice any discernible difference between the current 24" iMac's LCD, and the new LED display? Better contrast? Wider color gamut? Anything?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Due next from Apple: refreshed 20- and 24-inch iMacs