or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Colin Powell endorses Obama for president
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colin Powell endorses Obama for president

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
This deserves its own thread.



Perhaps the only cabinet member from either of George W Bush's two terms that has national respect has endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president.

Powell's endorsement of Obama is significant because Colin Powell is so powerfully associated with the early days of the Bush administration, when approval ratings were high and the nation was not so thoroughly divided. At the time of his selection as Secretary of State, Powell was seen as a figure of amazing importance and potential and respect from both sides of the aisle. Although his embarrassment at the UN has marred his reputation somewhat, he is still considered a respected statesmen by most.

Even further, Powell's endorsement was not tepid or non-committal. In doing so Powell has laid out clearly the reasons that he feels that his party (he still calls himself Republican) has abandoned its principles:
- It's inability to form a coherent conservative economic plan.
- It's inability to reign in government size or spending.
- It's reliance on anti-Muslim bigotry to shore up support and motivate voters.
- It's dogged focus on a very narrow slice of America.
- It's choosing for veneration embarrassingly unqualified and unprepared figures (Palin).
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #2 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

This deserves its own thread.



Perhaps the only cabinet member from either of George W Bush's two terms that has national respect has endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president.

Powell's endorsement of Obama is significant because Colin Powell is so powerfully associated with the early days of the Bush administration, when approval ratings were high and the nation was not so thoroughly divided. At the time of his selection as Secretary of State, Powell was seen as a figure of amazing importance and potential and respect from both sides of the aisle. Although his embarrassment at the UN has marred his reputation somewhat, he is still considered a respected statesmen by most.

Even further, Powell's endorsement was not tepid or non-committal. In doing so Powell has laid out clearly the reasons that he feels that his party (he still calls himself Republican) has abandoned its principles:
- It's inability to form a coherent conservative economic plan.

Because Obama's is much better.

Quote:
- It's inability to reign in government size or spending.

Because Obama will do much better.

Quote:
- It's reliance on anti-Muslim bigotry to shore up support and motivate voters.

Absolutely ridiculous assertion. Repeat something often enough and it becomes reality, I guess.

Quote:
- It's dogged focus on a very narrow slice of America.

Yes, very narrow: Any American who values life, limited government, originalist intent, strong national security and low taxes.

Quote:
- It's choosing for veneration embarrassingly unqualified and unprepared figures (Palin).

Figures who happen to be more qualified to be President than the Democratic Presidential nominee himself.

Would you all agree that Powell has been considered a very moderate Republican? Let's not pretend we're talking about a Rush Limbaugh type here. And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #3 of 63
It is funny because I had a conversation with a fellow teacher of mine. He was catching all sorts of hell after sending out progress reports because you know kids were actually accountable for their actions and the grades that resulted from them.

I explained to him that in a country where the banks aren't responsible for the loans they originate and their parents aren't responsible for the lies they told to get them, that no one was going to hold a nine year old responsible for their own academic progress. This helped him understand. He can now properly shrug his shoulders and thus keep his job. I'm getting ready to shrug a bit myself. The looters are coming. What will they take from you?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #4 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.

WTF?

I'd say something really unwelcome here, but then I'd get a ... \ gold star.

Because the above comment of yours almost certainly sounds ... like something an elitist might say.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The looters are coming. What will they take from you?

Our votes.

Honestly, the two of you have very good qualities besides your current political affiliations.

It's time to put those political ties aside (as Powell) and choose the course this country has to take before that party, our country and our reputation is cast aside.
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Because Obama's is much better.

Why yes, it is.

Quote:
Because Obama will do much better.

He couldn't possibly be worse than Bush. I don't think conservatives have quite figured out how utterly baseless their cries of "big spender" have become.

Quote:
Absolutely ridiculous assertion. Repeat something often enough and it becomes reality, I guess.

Or try to deny what is plain for everyone to see and hope it goes away. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Yes, very narrow: Any American who values life, limited government, originalist intent, strong national security and low taxes.

Who live in the "real" parts of America.

Quote:
Figures who happen to be more qualified to be President than the Democratic Presidential nominee himself.

Because it's impossible to form adult opinions about people based on what you can perceive about their intelligence, curiosity, willingness to learn, life experience, temperament, flexibility or imagination. When Sarah Palin makes random noises in response to questions, and Obama gives detailed and thoughtful answers, I think to myself: "That woman is certainly more qualified", because that's what "qualified" means.

Quote:
Would you all agree that Powell has been considered a very moderate Republican? Let's not pretend we're talking about a Rush Limbaugh type here. And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.

I'm not allowed to say what I think of this reasoning.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It is funny because I had a conversation with a fellow teacher of mine. He was catching all sorts of hell after sending out progress reports because you know kids were actually accountable for their actions and the grades that resulted from them.

I explained to him that in a country where the banks aren't responsible for the loans they originate and their parents aren't responsible for the lies they told to get them, that no one was going to hold a nine year old responsible for their own academic progress. This helped him understand. He can now properly shrug his shoulders and thus keep his job. I'm getting ready to shrug a bit myself. The looters are coming. What will they take from you?

So Colin Powell is the front man for all of these looters?

The trail of bankrupt bread crumbs leads straight to the Republicans looters.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #8 of 63
Gosh, it's so depressing to have to live amongst the wastrels and hypocrites that ruined the country, after championing their cause for many years until it all fell apart.

I, of course, am blameless, and can only gaze upon my worthless cohort with pity.

It is very difficult to be me.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #9 of 63
It is the exact opposite Artman. I've not ever claimed Obama was a muslim, or even worried about where he was born as so many like to caricature with here.

You'll remember I correctly called the state of our economy in AO well before now. I noted it early even though and even noted the timeframe and knew even then it would be uphill for Republicans. That was before we even knew who the nominees would be.

The reason I can see what is happening has nothing to do with party and everything to do with generations. We've just given the most obese kids the keys to the kitchen while we are all supposed to be at fat camp. Bush was supposed to compassionately feed us celery sticks and instead started passing out Ding Dongs. Those aren't good actions but you would defend them knowing what the alternatives are with regard to country health.

Several studies have found that FDR's policies turned a recession into a depression. It extended the length of it by several years. We are clearly in the same spot now and regardless of party, we appear to be choosing the path that will lead to depression and some very long pain. Platitudes won't change that. The Republicans of 94 started us on a good path, but like so many in the boomer generation, they don't practice what they preach. They give up and give in. They are and always have been a soft generation that I believe will be the end of us.

I've taken the right financial steps for this so I don't have much to fear. There isn't a dollar I've invested that isn't an inflation hedge.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #10 of 63
Thread Starter 
SDW:

Quote:
Would you all agree that Powell has been considered a very moderate Republican?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "moderate". He's not socially liberal (against gay marriage, pro-life).

He's not a neo-conservative warhawk screaming about socialism and Muslims on talk radio, if that's what you mean...

Quote:
And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race.

I don't think it is.

Can you explain why you think Powell endorsed Obama because they are both black?


trumpt:

Quote:
The looters are coming. What will they take from you?

What are they going to take from you? Are you going to pretend that you make $250,000+ per year and that Obama's tax increases will impact your finances?

How do you put this economy on the Democrats when Republicans have controlled government for 8 years?

The mental gymnastics are gold medal-worthy.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #11 of 63
Well my confidence that I've made the right choice in Obama just took a little downturn.
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Well my confidence that I've made the right choice in Obama just took a little downturn.

Care to explain why? Just curious.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

They are and always have been a soft generation that I believe will be the end of us.

I've taken the right financial steps for this so I don't have much to fear. There isn't a dollar I've invested that isn't an inflation hedge.

Well spoken. And good prevention. But it doesn't state anything as to why McCain/Palin wouldn't send us into Hell either.

So why not put the 20th century aside and take the risk to move on?

And honestly, if the Republicans continue to use this to win elections, why even support that? The more the Republicans push the ACORN stuff, the more I believe they are covering up their own crimes.
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Care to explain why? Just curious.

Because Powell is a putz just trying to rehabilitate his tattered image and jumping on the bandwagon of the projected winner of the election.
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Because Powell is a putz just trying to rehabilitate his tattered image and jumping on the bandwagon of the projected winner of the election.

I feel as though Americans generally don't have a very good perspective first, of what the role of the secretary of state is; second how good of a secretary of state Powell actually was; and third, how much Powell still has clout amongst moderate republicans and right-leaning independents.

It is a shame that so few remember that he was the lone voice of reason in the Bush administration. For quite some time he fought to keep us out of Iraq and then fought the Bush's drive for unilateral action, preferring to wait until there was international support for such action.

His decision ultimately to follow orders under the influence of fabricated intelligence is one the man clearly regrets...

He was the first in the administration to acknowledge the flawed intelligence and he resigned soon after it was clear there were no WMDs, but only after pushing for the reform of U.S. intelligence organization.

His decision to ultimately kowtow to the Bush administration was a mistake and an inexcusable one. But his remains a respected voice amongst centrists.

Marred maybe. Tarnished, definitely. But still respected better than many through large swaths of the US population.
post #16 of 63
Thread Starter 
BRussell:

I also harbor feelings of personal betrayal by Powell, but that's reaching. His UN speech may dominate my perception of him in many ways, but I seriously doubt he is making his decisions based on it 5 years later.


trumpt:

Quote:
They are and always have been a soft generation that I believe will be the end of us.

Well at least you're being rational.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

BRussell:

I also harbor feelings of personal betrayal by Powell, but that's reaching. His UN speech may dominate my perception of him in many ways, but I seriously doubt he is making his decisions based on it 5 years later.


trumpt:



Well at least you're being rational.

There's a certain line of thought that leads to being Supreme Warlord of a cult in Idaho. We can call it: The Only People That Know The Truth, Although I'm Keeping My Eye On You.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Because Powell is a putz just trying to rehabilitate his tattered image and jumping on the bandwagon of the projected winner of the election.

True enough, but: we are facing some pretty stark choices. I actually don't think it overstates the case to say that Sarah Palin represents a nascent American fascism and an opportunity for domestic terrorism.

Actually, the same old American fascism, just brought further into the mainstream than as of late. How long before a community organizer gets shot? How long before an ACORN office gets bombed? People are being told that poor and black Americans are a cancerous lesion that is sapping the very lifeblood of This Great Nation. It's not a great stretch to assume some Patriots might be motivated to come to the defense of God and Country. And it's much easier to make that leap when you scapegoat the powerless, while insisting that they are, in fact, the ones with all the power. That, historically, is how fascism takes root.

Given that, Powell is fucking Churchill, compromised hack that he is. We're not talking about differing ideologies, any more. We're talking about an angry, violent mob vs. something resembling a rational government. Any adult with a national profile, no matter how tattered their reputation, is all to the good at this point, in my book.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True enough, but: we are facing some pretty stark choices. I actually don't think it overstates the case to say that Sarah Palin represents a nascent American fascism and an opportunity for domestic terrorism.

Actually, the same old American fascism, just brought further into the mainstream than as of late. How long before a community organizer gets shot? How long before an ACORN office gets bombed? People are being told that poor and black Americans are a cancerous lesion that is sapping the very lifeblood of This Great Nation. It's not a great stretch to assume some Patriots might be motivated to come to the defense of God and Country. And it's much easier to make that leap when you scapegoat the powerless, while insisting that they are, in fact, the ones with all the power. That, historically, is how fascism takes root.

Given that, Powell is fucking Churchill, compromised hack that he is. We're not talking about differing ideologies, any more. We're talking about an angry, violent mob vs. something resembling a rational government. Any adult with a national profile, no matter how tattered their reputation, is all to the good at this point, in my book.

Where do you get all this from? Other than making it up because it sounds good to you. Go sentence by sentence and back up your post with something factual.
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Where do you get all this from?

Well, everywhere else. Excluding FoxNews and talk radio of course.
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Well, everywhere else. Excluding FoxNews and talk radio of course.

Okay so back it all up by siting news stories from major papers like NYT, WashPo heck even toss in the Boston Herald and LA Times.
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True enough, but: we are facing some pretty stark choices. I actually don't think it overstates the case to say that Sarah Palin represents a nascent American fascism and an opportunity for domestic terrorism.

Actually, the same old American fascism, just brought further into the mainstream than as of late. How long before a community organizer gets shot? How long before an ACORN office gets bombed? People are being told that poor and black Americans are a cancerous lesion that is sapping the very lifeblood of This Great Nation. It's not a great stretch to assume some Patriots might be motivated to come to the defense of God and Country.

http://www.wisn.com/politics/17754232/detail.html

Quote:
CALEDONIA, Wis. -- Police in Caledonia are investigating the assault of a campaign volunteer as she was canvassing for Senator Barack Obama Saturday afternoon.

In an exclusive interview with 12 News, 58 year-old Nancy Takehara of Chicago says she was going door-to-door when she came across a disgruntled homeowner.The next thing I know hes telling us were not his people, were probably with ACORN, and he started screaming and raving, Takehara said. He grabbed me by the back of the neck. I thought he was going to rip my hair out of my head. He was pounding on my head and screaming. The man terrified me.

The man eventually stopped and the Caledonia police were called. Takehara was asked if she needed medical assistance, but she was not seriously injured.

Instead, she says she was shaken up by the homeowners reaction.This negative stuff has to stop, said Takehara. Were all Americans. This is all about protecting our democracy, not about attacking each other.Takehara was encouraged when she had a message waiting at home from the candidate she is fighting for. Takehara called back and she and Senator Obama talked one-on-one.Takehara said, Senator Obama understood it was wonderful. It made me feel wonderful.

It made me feel connected to this government again..................Police tell 12 News they are still investigating the case and will forward the complaint to the Racine County District Attorneys office after its completed.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Okay so back it all up by siting news stories from major papers like NYT, WashPo heck even toss in the Boston Herald and LA Times.

Well, I'm basically worn out from being the secret weapon for sourcing for SDW and trumptman, so I'll let addabox do the honors this time.

Oops, props to FormerLurker!
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Well my confidence that I've made the right choice in Obama just took a little downturn.......
[Because] Powell is a putz just trying to rehabilitate his tattered image and jumping on the bandwagon of the projected winner of the election.

And Powell's words affect whether Obama would make a better President than McCain....... HOW, exactly?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Okay so back it all up by siting news stories from major papers like NYT, WashPo heck even toss in the Boston Herald and LA Times.

All I have to do is take McCain, Palin, and the Republican Party at their word.

They're telling me that ACORN is conducting the greatest electoral fraud this country has ever seen. They're telling me that ACORN was directly responsible for the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression. They're telling me that Barack Obama is a straight-up socialist, and that he intends to steal the election. They're telling me that Barack Obama is best friends with a terrorist, that he so hates America that he sees nothing wrong with being best friends with a terrorist. They're telling me that there is some kind of terrorist/community worker/black nexus that is working to defraud the American people of their vote, so that Barack Obama can take your money and give it to his black cronies.

As far as I have been able to tell, you pretty much agree with all that.

So you tell me, what is a red-blooded, patriotic America to do? I mean, we're talking about high treason and an historic usurpation of the electoral process here, and to sinister ends.

Are you saying that all of that just seems unfortunate, but that's just how it goes sometimes? What kind half-assed pussy of a patriot confronts this grave threat to the future of America with nothing more than a sigh and a shrug? The deck is clearly stacked, you can't resist through legal, constitutional means. They're going to steal the election and throw out the constitution and take your money and install a socialist dictatorship.

What are you going to do?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Because Obama's is much better.



Because Obama will do much better.



Absolutely ridiculous assertion. Repeat something often enough and it becomes reality, I guess.



Yes, very narrow: Any American who values life, limited government, originalist intent, strong national security and low taxes.



Figures who happen to be more qualified to be President than the Democratic Presidential nominee himself.

Would you all agree that Powell has been considered a very moderate Republican? Let's not pretend we're talking about a Rush Limbaugh type here. And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.

How can someone look at 3 primary colors and get them all wrong?

That's the situation we have here. You look at something and see something totally different than everyone else ( well maybe not the more extreme elements here on this forum ).

Powell did this because he views Obama as the best choice. It's nonpartisan and not race related. Get over it!

I'm sorry if it hurts but you knew it would at the end if you kept supporting the nonsense that is George W Bush and his Neocon lackeys.

There is of course the idea that Powell is trying to repair his image. Well you know the old saying about " Only a fool stays in a burning house ".
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #27 of 63
Oh, cool, here's Malkin's reaction:


Gravitas

See? The jig who naturally throws in with the jig is gettin' all jiggy wit it!

WHY MUST OBAMA KEEP PLAYING THE RACE CARD???? HE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO EVEN NOTICES HE'S BLACK, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #28 of 63
This is huge! I have tremendous respect for General Powell as a military leader, a statesman and as a person. The right wing talk and blog clowns will sound like fools when they try to discredit him.
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, cool, here's Malkin's reaction:


Gravitas

See? The jig who naturally throws in with the jig is gettin' all jiggy wit it!

WHY MUST OBAMA KEEP PLAYING THE RACE CARD???? HE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO EVEN NOTICES HE'S BLACK, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!



Malkin is a horrid wretch.
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Gull View Post

Malkin is a horrid wretch.

Indeed. Which is why her elite status as a voice of the paleoconservatives is so telling.

And who's the liberal blog boogyman? Daily Kos, filled with analysis, charts, graphs, and electoral strategery.

The right is snarling and barking and examining the kerning on Obama's birth certificate. The left is organizing. We can see how that's working out. Of course, by John McCain's lights, organizing is cheating, since raising a great deal of money from a lot of average Americans, little bit at a time, clearly goes against the grain of democracy.

So, by all means Republicans: William Ayers, 24/7. Do the research that the liberal media won't! Shock the world with a passing reference in ten year old newsletter! Retire to your basements, muttering darkly, and connect the dots! MAKE US UNDERSTAND.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #31 of 63
[CENTER]
I'm John McCain and I approved this Sham. Wow![/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #32 of 63
From Rasmussen Reports:

Quote:
Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republicans have a favorable view of Powell, as do 81% of unaffiliated voters and 77% of Democrats. Eighty-two percent (82%) of white voters and 72% of African-Americans share that view.

That makes him what, the most beloved public figure in America?

Say what you want (and both left and right partisans have their reasons to mistrust him), most people think very well of the man. I can't see how his endorsement isn't a pretty big win for Obama.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.

Well, that's... just about done it for my respecting you.
post #34 of 63
post #35 of 63
I used to think that Colin Powell was his own man. That notion was squashed flat when on February 5, 2003 at the UN Security Council, he knowingly told baldfaced lies to the world's people about Iraq's "WMDs and biological weapons labs" that he knew did not exist. He could have been a true hero of the 21st century and told it the way he knew it was, possibly avoiding an unwinnable war that has trashed our economy, killed thousands of US servicepeople, more than 1 million Iraqi civilians, and all but destroyed any sense of respect the US has in the rest of the world. But instead, Powell selected cowardice and appeasement, rather than statesmanship, heroism and patriotism. He went what was then the easy route, when 65% of the country, denied the facts by a complicit lapdog media, was baying for middle eastern blood in revenge for an attack that had zero connection with Iraq (and precious little to do with Afghanistan as well).

Powell endorsed Barack Obama. Whichever way the wind blows. Again. Big fucking deal. Great. Obama is now endorsed by not only a liar and a coward, but also the army officer who helped cover up the My Lai atrocity in Vietnam.

We really do have a own-party system.


"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

And please...please someone tell me they have doubts that this has nothing to do with race. It's actually quite amusing watching people claim race is an issue in this campaign, then claim race isn't an issue when an endorsement like this comes up.

It's McCain/Palin on one side. What's left of McCain PLUS Palin. Think about it.

I would say the odds of race being the primary factor for Powell to endorse Obama are slim when compared to McCain PLUS Palin.

Shit, even Dan Quayle is an amazing candidate compared to her.
post #37 of 63
Thread Starter 
Oh, nevermind.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From Rasmussen Reports:



That makes him what, the most beloved public figure in America?

Say what you want (and both left and right partisans have their reasons to mistrust him), most people think very well of the man. I can't see how his endorsement isn't a pretty big win for Obama.

I think the only people for whom this is a problem are political hounds like us. Most folks like Powell. Me, BRussell, and SJ all have issues with him, but oh well.

Schwarzkopf has already endorsed McPalin.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I think the only people for whom this is a problem are political hounds like us. Most folks like Powell. Me, BRussell, and SJ all have issues with him, but oh well.

Schwarzkopf has already endorsed McPalin.

Oh, I have little use for him, myself, and the timing of his endorsement (after it has become clear that Obama is the likely next president) smacks of opportunism, but I do think this may give Obama a modest bounce.

I also think it's entirely possible the guy just got so grossed out by the McCain campaign that he decided to speak up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh
I also think it's entirely possible the guy just got so grossed out by the McCain campaign that he decided to speak up.

Out of guilt maybe? Powell lost my respect when he did the UN speech. The speech that was universally praised by the in-house self-admitted water carriers. It was an abomination.

I'm surprised to see he is so popular. His endorsement couldn't hurt Obama.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Colin Powell endorses Obama for president