or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle - Page 11

post #401 of 1350
I think that these days people are well aware of what unjust prejudice is. In the case of homosexual marriage, there is a degree of ambiguity.

I don't buy the point of view that children are born homosexual because that means children are born heterosexual and AFAIK children do not exhibit meaningful sexual behavior in any way.

Children are born with a gender divide. Society typically follows this as a guideline - females are generally segregated from males (locker-rooms, toilets, clothing lines, footwear). This is not prejudicial behavior any more than nature is prejudicial by there being two genders at all.

Hermaphrodites are either one sex or the other - I haven't heard of any human autogamy - and sexuality arises from social factors as well as genetic factors - having predominantly male genes will mean you receive more male-oriented social contact.

Now, homosexuality is accepted as a lifestyle even if people don't agree with it and presumably bisexuals should have the same rights. But they are bisexual so they should be allowed to marry both a man and a woman? Ah but then we're talking about polygamy. But if you limit marriage to just one partner, aren't you being prejudiced against someone attracted to both sexes?

The point being that it's all semantics. What does marriage represent and who defines it?

Once that question is answered then the choice should be easy. I don't think it can be answered because it's one of those questions defined by a majority rule.

Is the term marriage defined as the joining of two heterosexual people? If so then it's no more prejudiced than saying a gay person is gay and differentiating from straight people.

If it is decided that marriage simply means a partnership with no implications then why can't I marry 3 people? If multiple consenting adults want to be together forever, who is the government to decide my relationships? Women outnumber men greatly so weighing up the stats, it's kinda prejudiced to say men only get one wife thereby implying some women have to go without husbands.

Anyway, I don't really want to take sides because it ends up with narrow-minded people shouting bigotry no matter the points made but I thought I would try and show that it's not as clear cut as people want it to be. In that light, I also disagree with Apple's public stance as well as Google's.

What I think should happen is that companies should put up a fund and give each employee/director a portion based on rank and as individuals, they can donate to the cause of their choosing (perhaps from a list) or choose not to donate. This way the opinions of the company directors are not automatically projected onto their workers by association. I think it's unfair of them to do that.
post #402 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Because even his hate mongering racist church doesn't support it...

No, it's because of all the issues, this one effects the least percentage of people, and taking a stand against gay marriage makes him look a bit more conservative. I really have so much respect for Barack Obama, and he definitely has my vote, not because he's a democrat - before I knew anything about him or heard him speak about issues I was quite on the fence about him - but because he seems to be very intelligent, strong and has an aim to treat people fairly. But this issue really stinks. I wish he would be as outspoken as Colin Powell, but if he gets into office I have hopes he will be.
post #403 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think that these days people are well aware of what unjust prejudice is. In the case of homosexual marriage, there is a degree of ambiguity.

I don't buy the point of view that children are born homosexual because that means children are born heterosexual and AFAIK children do not exhibit meaningful sexual behavi in any way.

A catepillar isn't born a butterfly, but that does mean it has a choice not proceed with the next step in its life process. I don't think anyone is arguing that babies are born with either straight or gay tendencies, but that the physical constructs that make up the psychie are mostly decided prior to birth.

Quote:
Children are born with a gender divide. Society typically follows this as a guideline - females are generally segregated from males (locker-rooms, toilets, clothing lines, footwear). This is not prejudicial behavior any more than nature is prejudicial by there being two genders at all.

There is a gender divide, because we have two genders. But that does mean that 100% of all people are regulated, either by mistake or design, to be attracted to the opposite sex.

Quote:
Hermaphrodites are either one sex or the other - I haven't heard of any human autogamy - and sexuality arises from social factors as well as genetic factors - having predominantly male genes will mean you receive more male-oriented social contact.

By defintion they have both sex organs, though I haven't read of a situation where the either organ was able to promote life.

Quote:
Now, homosexuality is accepted as a lifestyle even if people don't agree with it and presumably bisexuals should have the same rights. But they are bisexual so they should be allowed to marry both a man and a woman? Ah but then we're talking about polygamy. But if you limit marriage to just one partner, aren't you being prejudiced against someone attracted to both sexes?

That is like me saying because I'm in love with more than one women I should be allowed to marry both of them. A legal union is two, which isn't likely to change any time soon. But you bring up an interesting point. Mormons still practice polygomy albeit not under law, and from a biogical standpoint it makes sense as a single dominate male doesn't have the gestation limitations like women do. But I disagree with that practice in society as I feel it treads on civil rights of women.

Quote:
The point being that it's all semantics. What does marriage represent and who defines it?

Once that question is answered then the choice should be easy. I don't think it can be answered because it's one of those questions defined by a majority rule.

Is the term marriage defined as the joining of two heterosexual people? If so then it's no more prejudiced than saying a gay person is gay and differentiating from straight people.

If it is decided that marriage simply means a partnership with no implications then why can't I marry 3 people? If multiple consenting adults want to be together forever, who is the government to decide my relationships? Women outnumber men greatly so weighing up the stats, it's kinda prejudiced to say men only get one wife thereby implying some women have to go without husbands.

How it's defined has always varied by religion, all this opposition does is allow same sex couple to have a legally recognized union. The Catholics don't recognize divorce, most Christians dont recognize polygomy. This isn't about religion, but about civil rights under law. If you think that gay couples should be allowed t date each other, then I don't see a reason not to let gay couples marry under the law. Personally, I'd rather get rid of the whole idea of a legal union altogeter. If you want to do it under your God, so be it; if you want to get benefits from work or Gov't then prove that you have lived together for x-many years. I know of people got married to "save" their relationship or to prove their commitment to each other. I think that is hogwash.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't really want to take sides because it ends up with narrow-minded people shouting bigotry no matter the points made but I thought I would try and show that it's not as clear cut as people want it to be. In that light, I also disagree with Apple's public stance as well as Google's.

What I think should happen is that companies should put up a fund and give each employee/director a portion based on rank and as individuals, they can donate to the cause of their choosing (perhaps from a list) or choose not to donate. This way the opinions of the company directors are not automatically projected onto their workers by association. I think it's unfair of them to do that.

SpamSandwich has been asking for a decent argument that is in favour of Prop. 8, I think he finally got it. Nice posting.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #404 of 1350
Its as forward thinking as Apple taking away firewire from the Macbook ...lolololol sorry had to say this.

Why did they do it, I suspect that they are forward thinking in that this move is inevitable and just. People (heteros or gays) shouldnt be obliged to get married but we should give them that possibility if they want it. Good move Apple. I also think that most of the creative people in this world are Gay so I suspect a lot of them use Apple products (or are employees), just my thought.
post #405 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrrrrrrr View Post

Again, it is not about whether homosexuality is good or not. The problem is that many diehard apple fans will switch now to linux or even worse windows. Most of us have opinion about this problem, so buying apple products means supporting homosexuality. Remember the incident with McDonald? People even stopped to buy their hamburgers.

I don't believe for one minute that any diehard Apple fans will switch, despite what some of them are saying on here. Buying an occasional burger from Wendy's instead of McDonalds is one thing. Changing your preferred hardware and software is quite another; especially when, as has already been pointed out, the alternative's policies on homosexuality suggest that they are in accord with Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrrrrrrr View Post

Homosexuality is no longer someones personal opinion. Many religions just deny it and there are a lot of fighting politicans. Some religions state the answer cleary. I suppose it's even prohibited in islam and no one objects it.



Homosexuality has never been 'someone's personal opinion', it is a fact of life and no amount of denial by any backward looking religion will alter that fact.
post #406 of 1350
gosh, nothing better than barmy liberal initiatives make the gender benders come out of the woodwork. Eleven pages of drivel and counting. Bad initiative - Apple should stay out of politics and concentrate on what they do best. Apple's customers around the world wouldn't have the faintest idea of what Prop 8 campaign is and couldn't care less, but for Apple to lend its name to this pc campaign it just attracts derision.
post #407 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

gosh, nothing better than barmy liberal initiatives make the gender benders come out of the woodwork. Eleven pages of drivel and counting. Bad initiative - Apple should stay out of politics and concentrate on what they do best. Apple's customers around the world wouldn't have the faintest idea of what Prop 8 campaign is and couldn't care less, but for Apple to lend its name to this pc campaign it just attracts derision.

please go back to your own woodwork (closet), sarges.
post #408 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyakranhutanavin@yahoo.com View Post

Black,Yellow,White outside looks it's different but inside we are the same HUMAN so please don't separate the humanity by the race. We are in the same world and only one world the right things that we should do is "Be A Nice And Help Each Other"

Dude, using big type is so gay!

Ooops!

While I'm very busy working on the campaign to elect a Black, Muslim, Communist, Terrorist-sympathizer who will break into your homes at 3am, butt-rape your sons, and force your daughters into same-sex marriages...all the while raising your taxes and making abortion mandatory, I couldn't pass this thread up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRT3zs23sLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCimI9QUtc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_IYrltqYrU



^^^^^^ Frugality's Sister ^^^^^^^
post #409 of 1350
Ignorance is wrong. Bigotry is wrong. Intolerance is wrong. Equating homosexuality with pedophilia is wrong. Being small minded is wrong. However, clearly no one is telling you that you don't have the right to be or do any of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Sorry I'm not religious. But I do recognize that things are either right or wrong.



Its so bad, bacause its wrong. Just like pedophilia is wrong. Just like stabbing random old ladies is wrong. Just like touching your sister is wrong. Its just plain wrong.

Why would I be scared they would make me gay? That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Would I be scared of becoming a pedophile if pedophilia was legalized or becoming a crackhead if crack was legalized? Seriously thats the stupidest shi I ever heard and makes negative 2 ounces of sense.
post #410 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

As I mentioned above, many parents don't want their kids being taught about gay marriages in school (myself included). Whether you think that is right or wrong is irrelevant. It's my right to teach them the morals I believe in. You can do the same with your children, but schools do not (or at least should not) have that right.

Another big effect is religious. If gay marriages are recognized by the state, then any religion who refuses to marry gays will be subject to lawsuits and loss of tax exemption. Government cannot force a religion to change its values...well, it used to be that way.

You need to get your facts straight. This will not lead to any penalties to your chuch in any way, shape or form. I guess you didn't notice that the ads pertaining to your ignorance have been removed due to the fact that they were complete and total lies. Just as it is a complete lie that teachers will have to teach gay marriage in schools.

By the way, have you notice that the main supporters of this law aren't even from CA, but instead religious groups like the Mormans from Utah. Why should I listen to them when in their religion it's OK to have more than 1 wife and marry (and have sex with) 14 year old girls. Get a clue and get your facts straight before spewing your venom on the rest of us.
post #411 of 1350
Apple should not make such a donation. If Jobs and/or other executives wish to support a political cause not directly related to the operation of the company, they can and should certainly make private donations.
post #412 of 1350
You are correct but God forbid that people only ever speak out when it is the safe or popular thing to do. If that were the case, who would ever stand up for the rights of the minority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleAnt View Post

Certainly Apple Inc. has the right to speak out on this issue, but many of their customers also have the right to feel alienated by that position. Companies that enter the political arena do it at the peril of loosing customers.
post #413 of 1350
I just thought I'd log in and state for the record that I don't really care one way or another how Apple feels about this issue. I mean, there are probably worse ways to blow a hundred grand (like buy a bunch of PCs and a site license of Vista for your small office).

But since Apple, Inc. has chosen to take up this cause, my fervent wish is that all the grateful gay, lesbian and transgender society members... (did I leave anyone out? It's hard to keep the acronyms straight... whoops, pun not intentional) ...would pick up signs, march to the Apple campus and BEG Steve to put the FREAKIN' FireWire port BACK on the new MacBook!!!

Taking it off was an abomination against the creator, and was quite possibly a mistake of similar porportions as the invasion of Georgia, voting for any politician who makes more money than yourself, the internal combustion engine, wearing pointy-toed high heels with blue jeans, or marrying either of my first two wives.

(Anybody left with an ox needing a gentle, mischievous goring?)
post #414 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

But AppleInsider has a lot of new members.

Yes, it's very suspicious. Are hardcore right-wing trolls scouring the web in an attempt to convert 'on-the-fence' independents?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #415 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are a lot of new members that signed up just to comment on this thread. AI need more controversial articles.

Just think of the page ranking they will now have. Great for setting advertising rates. Expect more "articles" like this.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #416 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let gays get married-
1.) It's good for the economy.
But one question- Why does Barack Obama oppose gay marriage? Isn't gay marriage all about "CHANGE"?

Does he? Whatever his reasoning, at the minimum it should be decided by the states, but ideally government would be 'divorced' from having any say regarding this issue.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #417 of 1350
And my final comment in this thread.

SO FRIGGIN GLAD I'M CANADIAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESALLEN View Post

Heres the thing.....
We already voted on this in california. WE BANNED GAY MARRIAGE. Then 4 stupid liberal judges on the 9nth circuit overturned our votes.

We will BAN it again. YES ON 8 signs are EVERYWHERE in socal, i have yet to see a NO ON 8 sign. I think it will be a landslide vote. Im predicting 65/35.


And apple.... I love your products, but I will never purchase another NEW one again.
post #418 of 1350
America, once again you prove how backwards you are about things... good on you Apple.
post #419 of 1350
As a long--time Apple lover, and as an Apple promoter to all of my friends, I find this upsetting. Apple needs to stay out of politics. Did it learn nothing from Disney?

I love apple, and God knows a lot of gay people are instrumental to the success of Apple. I love my Mac, which was designed by a gay guy, make a living with Final Cut Pro (also created by a gay man). I owe a lot to Apple. I won't stand for Apple attacking and trying to diminish my marriage though.

------

Gay marriage is not a civil rights issue. Anyone who understands what marriage is understands that. Even a business marriage fails if it is not based on combined production of some sort. This is idiocy.

Proposition 8 is about protecting a class that needs protection. It's about preserving the rights, benefits, and requirements for the creation and maintenance of the traditional family - which is the core to the continuation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The principles at stake of a traditional marriage warrant the creation of a protected class.
post #420 of 1350
Way to go Apple!
post #421 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't buy the point of view that children are born homosexual because that means children are born heterosexual and AFAIK children do not exhibit meaningful sexual behavior in any way.

I would hazard a guess that you do not have children. If you did I doubt very much you would say the above. Since I had my kids I have changed a lot in terms of my view on nature v nurture. And I am not alone. There are a lot of people who are so proud of they way they nurtured their child to become the cool little being he or she is. Then shock and horror, their second child is totally the opposite. And they (me) realize that kids grow up to be who and what they are irrespective of their parents' guidance. Don't get me wrong, as parents we matter a great deal in shaping the way in which our children behave and view the world, but very little in shaping who or what they become. If you wish your kid to be a math genius like yourself you just might find yourself with a child who will never get math and never care. No amount of nurture will change that.

Sexuality is at the very core of our being and we have little (I'd argue absolutely none whatsoever) control over that. Children may not be sexual beings but they grow into them very quickly. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a friend with a 5 year old boy. Not a sexual being in any way but I am telling you - this kid can already out queen the best of them. Where does that come from? He may turn out to be gay, bi, or hetero (I'd wager the farm on gay), but what I do know is that no-one can alter what it will be. And good for him, he's a great kid.
post #422 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

I don't believe for one minute that any diehard Apple fans will switch, despite what some of them are saying on here. Buying an occasional burger from Wendy's instead of McDonalds is one thing. Changing your preferred hardware and software is quite another; especially when, as has already been pointed out, the alternative's policies on homosexuality suggest that they are in accord with Apple.





Homosexuality has never been 'someone's personal opinion', it is a fact of life and no amount of denial by any backward looking religion will alter that fact.


Apple loses my loyalty. I will buy apple products now, but will stop promoting apple to my friends and family. I won't defend apple products that aren't up to par and will switch companies if anything comes out that is equally or more practical for my needs. Apple just became less appealing.

It's not about whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not. It's not about a backwards-looking religion - some things are valuable and worthwhile enough to fight to preserve.
post #423 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Now, homosexuality is accepted as a lifestyle even if people don't agree with it and presumably bisexuals should have the same rights. But they are bisexual so they should be allowed to marry both a man and a woman? Ah but then we're talking about polygamy. But if you limit marriage to just one partner, aren't you being prejudiced against someone attracted to both sexes?

Re the first part of this .. (the second part is kind of silly) - Homosexuality is not accepted as a lifestyle in the sense that it is defined as such. There is definitely a gay lifestyle but by no means all gays lead this kind of life. There is also a definite Biker (as in MC's) lifestyle but not all motorcyclists lead this kind of life. So the gay lifestyle may be a chosen one and you may object as you may object to bikers wearing leathers, but your sexuality is not chosen. I can prove that, too. Put aside your (not yours personally) prejudices and change your sexual orientation for a week, or a day. Do it in earnest and see how far you get. Please report back ;-)
post #424 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

No, it's because of all the issues, this one effects the least percentage of people, and taking a stand against gay marriage makes him look a bit more conservative. I really have so much respect for Barack Obama, and he definitely has my vote, not because he's a democrat - before I knew anything about him or heard him speak about issues I was quite on the fence about him - but because he seems to be very intelligent, strong and has an aim to treat people fairly. But this issue really stinks. I wish he would be as outspoken as Colin Powell, but if he gets into office I have hopes he will be.

So, you're saying you've joined the cult of personality. Ok, fair enough.

With a democratic congress and possibly a magic 60 democratic senators you should really think about this as much, much more than Obama vs McCain because no one party should ever have control over all of it - especially the magic 60. The last time that happened was in the 76 election and not a single positive thing came out of that group in DC. Ideally I'd like to vote for a moderate (a bit more moderate than McCain and certainly much, much, much more moderate than Obama, his record on "working across the aisle" is pretty bad) but there is no moderate party just a bunch of my way or the highway idiots - sad...
post #425 of 1350
Morris Thurston, an active Mormon who received his undergraduate degree in political science from BYU and his law degree from Harvard Law School, recently critiqued the anonymously published list of talking points (frequently reported by supporters, as above) because they were false and misleading:

Most of the arguments contained in “Six Consequences [the Coalition Has Identified if Proposition 8 Fails]” are either untrue or misleading. The following commentary addresses those arguments and explains how they are based on misinterpretations of law and fact. My intent is to be of service in helping our Church avoid charges of using falsehoods to gain a political victory. Relying on deceptive arguments is not only contrary to gospel principles, but ultimately works against the very mission of the Church.”

http://www.noonprop8.com/downloads/Thurston-Memo.pdf

1. Children in public schools will have to be taught that same-sex marriage is just as good as traditional marriage.

Response: This is untrue. California Education Code 51890 provides that “pupils will receive instruction to aid them in making decisions in matters of personal, family, and community health.” The focus is on health. The statute provides for community participation, including lectures by practicing professional health and safety personnel from the community. Things that are to be taught include, for example drug use and misuse, nutrition, exercise, diseases and disorders, environmental health and safety, as well as “family health and child development, including the legal and financial aspects and responsibilities of marriage and parenthood.”

Another section of the Education Code (51933) deals with comprehensive sexual health education and HIV/AIDS prevention. It provides that instruction shall be age appropriate and medically accurate, shall teach “respect for marriage and committed relationships,” and shall encourage a pupil to communicate with his or her parents about human sexuality.

Therefore, no provision of the Education Code requires any teacher to teach that same‐sex marriage is “just as good” as traditional marriage. Teachers are to teach respect for marriage and committed relationships, and Proposition 8 will not change this law.

2. Churches may be sued over their tax exempt status if they refuse to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies in their religious buildings open to the public.

Response: This false “consequence” is based on the misrepresentation of a case in New Jersey involving an association affiliated with the Methodist Church. In considering that case, it is important to remember that New Jersey does not permit gay marriage, so that case had nothing to do with Proposition 8.

What was the New Jersey case about? The Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association (OGCMA), a Methodist organization, had taken advantage of a New Jersey law granting a state property tax exemption for a pavilion in the seaside town of Ocean Grove that was dedicated for public use. Note that the case did not involve income tax exemptions and note that the purpose for giving the exemption in the first place was to reward organizations for opening their buildings and facilities for public use.

The property in question was a boardwalk pavilion open to the public. “Bands play there. Children skateboard through it. Tourists enjoy the shade. It’s even been used for debates and Civil War re‐enactments.”3 It was also available to be reserved for marriage ceremonies by people of any faith. Nevertheless, the OGCMA wanted to prohibit a gay commitment ceremony (not a marriage ceremony) from being held in the pavilion. The New Jersey real estate commission ruled that if OGCMA intended to claim a property tax exemption for a building open to the public, they could not discriminate. Seen in this light, it was a sensible ruling. Implicit in the ruling is that the group could discriminate if they ceased to claim a property tax exemption for a public facility. It is important to note that this ruling pertained only to the pavilion, which constituted a mere one percent of the property the OGCMA owned. The total amount of additional tax assessed was $200. The OGCMA continues to receive a property tax exemption for the remaining 99% of its property.

This case has nothing at all to do with any Mormon, Catholic or any other church’s chapel or sanctuary that is used for religious purposes. It has nothing to do with any church’s income tax exemption. To my knowledge, the Mormon Church has never sought to take advantage of a property tax exemption similar to the New Jersey exemption and likely never would.

The California Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage cannot have any federal tax consequences, and the Court so noted explicitly in its decision. The Supreme Court also noted that its ruling would not require any priest, rabbi or minister to perform gay marriages, which should be self‐evident because of the First Amendment’s guarantee of freedom of religion.

3. Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic
Charities in Boston already closed its doors in Massachusetts because courts legalized same-sex marriage there
.

Response: Another misrepresentation. To begin with, it should be noted that Catholic Charities in Boston was not forced to close its doors—indeed it is still very active. (See its website at http://www.ccab.org.) Rather, Cathol...ased providing
adoption service in Massachusetts. According to the Boston Globe, Catholic Charities elected to close its doors in protest over the legalization of gay marriage in Massachusetts and because it was reluctant to undertake a lawsuit that might be lost.

LDS Family Services still operates in Massachusetts, as it does in California. There are several differences between LDSFS and Catholic Charities. LDSFS does not take federal or state funds; Catholic Charities does. LDSFS facilitates only voluntary adoptions and permits the birth mother to approve the adoptive parents. Catholic Charities handled non‐voluntary adoptions (where the state seizes the children) and normally did not accommodate birth mother approval. Catholic Charities had contracts with the state and was, in effect, acting as an agent of the state. LDSFS does not. To date, LDS Family Services has never been forced to place any children
with a gay couple, and has never been sued for not doing so.

If this situation ever faces a legal challenge in California, it will not matter whether Proposition 8 passes because California already has on its books (and has for several years) laws granting domestic partners (homosexual and heterosexual) the same civil rights as married couples. This is a point that many people seem not to understand. Here is the language of just one California statute: “Registered domestic partners shall have the same rights, protections, and benefits, and shall be subject to the same responsibilities, obligations, and duties under law, whether they derive from statutes, administrative regulations, court rules, government policies, common law, or any other provisions or sources of law, as are granted to and imposed upon spouses.”

Therefore, the passage or failure of Proposition 8 will have no effect on the placement of orphans with gay couples in California.

4. Religions that sponsor private schools with married student housing may be required to provide housing for same-sex couples, even if counter to church doctrine, or risk lawsuits over tax exemptions and related benefits.

Response: This claim relates to an experience at Yeshiva University in New York. Gay students were eligible for University housing, but their partners were not able to join them because they did not have marriage certificates. It should be noted that Yeshiva University (despite its name) is chartered as a nonsectarian institution, enabling it to receive state and federal funding. The New York court found that Yeshiva was discriminating against the students based on their sexual orientation—not their marital status. The ruling was based on New York City non‐discrimination laws.

California’s existing non‐discrimination laws give all registered domestic partners, whether heterosexual or homosexual, the right of equal access to family housing. To date, however, no California private religious school has been forced to comply with this law. Neither the passage nor the failure of Proposition 8 will have any bearing on the law relating to family student housing in California.

The gay marriage problem will not arise at BYU and other Church universities because engaging in homosexual activity is a violation of the honor code and is a basis for expulsion from the University. These rules will not be overturned merely because California recognizes gay marriages, any more than they have been because Massachusetts, Canada and many European nations recognize them.

5. Ministers who preach against same-sex marriages may be sued for hate speech and risk government fines. It already happened in Canada, a country that legalized gay marriage. A recent California court held that municipal employees my not say: “traditional marriage,” or “family values” because, after the same-sex marriage case, it is “hate speech.”

Response: Of course, anyone can be “sued” for anything, but no minister has been convicted of a crime in Canada or the United States for preaching against same‐sex marriages. The Owens case, on which this statement is based, was brought well before gay marriage was legal in Canada and did not involve a minister, but a private citizen. In that case, a man named Hugh Owens produced bumper stickers and took out an ad that depicted two stick figures holding hands, covered by a circle and a slash, along with a reference to a passage in Leviticus that says that a man engaging in homosexual activity “shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.” The lower court ruled that this amounted to hate speech, but the decision was overturned on review. The current Canadian law on hate propaganda excludes any speech if it is spoken during a private conversation or if the person uttering the speech “is attempting in good faith to establish by argument an opinion on a religious subject.”10Thus, even ministers who preach against same‐sex marriages in Canada have no risk of legal liability or government fines.

This would never be an issue in the United States because we have far more liberal freedom of speech and religion laws than does Canada.11 There have been no hate speech lawsuits in Massachusetts, which has been a gay marriage state for four years.

The description of the recent California case is another fabrication. This case is Good News Employee Association v. Hicks, which was decided before the Supreme Court legalized gay marriages and so it, too, has nothing to do with Proposition 8. The
plaintiffs in that case were evangelical Christians (not homosexuals) who posted flyers around the offices of the Oakland Community and Economic Development Agency promoting their “Good News Association” and calling on those who read the flyer to
“preserve our workplace with integrity … with respect for the natural family, marriage and family values.” In other words, this group was promoting the idea of ridding their workplace of gay people—a blatantly homophobic message and highly offensive not
only to several gay people who worked there but to heterosexual co‐workers as well. The supervisors removed the flyers. The Good News people sued, claiming their rights of free speech were violated. The court found that the agency was entitled to eliminate the workplace disruption the flyers were causing and noted that there were any other ways for this group to promote their message without resorting to such offensive tactics.

This case does not hold that municipal employees are prohibited from saying “traditional marriage” or “family values” and it has nothing to do with gay marriage, or ministers preaching, or Proposition 8. Indeed, the court specifically found that there were many other ways for these people to get their message out without disrupting the workplace by creating an atmosphere of persecution.

6. It will cost you money. This change in the definition of marriage will bring a cascade of lawsuits, including some already lost (e.g., photographers cannot now refuse to photograph gay marriages, doctors cannot refuse to perform artificial insemination of gays even given other willing doctors). Even if courts eventually find in favor of a defender of traditional marriage (highly improbable given today’s activist judges), think of the money – your money – that will be spent on such legal battles.

Response: The argument concerning cost is fallacious and calculated to engender fear. In actuality, the net fiscal effect of Proposition 8 will be an influx of revenue to California because of the anticipated increase in marriage ceremonies and the related boon to the economy. The change in the definition of marriage will not bring a “cascade of lawsuits” because heterosexual and homosexual registered domestic partners already have all the rights of married couples in California. None of the lawsuits alluded to in this paragraph has anything to do with gay marriage.

The wedding photographer case was in New Mexico, a state that has no gay marriage law. The medical doctor case was in California, but was based on our existing non‐discrimination laws and would not be affected one way or the other by the passage of Proposition 8.
post #426 of 1350
I hope you get banned for life for posting on this forum in Jedi. Long winded Jedi at that. Please use links in the future and please... no Jedi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Response:*This*is*untrue.*California*Education*Cod e*51890*provides*that*pupils*will*
receive*instruction*to*aid*them*in*making*decision s*in*matters*of*personal,*family,*and*
community*health.*The*focus*is*on*health.*The*st atute*provides*for*community*
participation,*including*lectures*by*practicing*pr ofessional*health*and*safety*
personnel*from*the*community.**Things*that*are*to* be*taught*include,*for*example drug*use*and*misuse,*nutrition,*exercise,*diseases *and*disorders,*environmental*health*
and*safety,*as*well*as*family*health*and*child*d evelopment,*including*the*legal*and*
financial*aspects*and*re........
post #427 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyslaptop View Post

Apple loses my loyalty. I will buy apple products now, but will stop promoting apple to my friends and family. I won't defend apple products that aren't up to par and will switch companies if anything comes out that is equally or more practical for my needs. Apple just became less appealing.

Wouldn't you do this anyway? I know I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyslaptop View Post

It's not about whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not. It's not about a backwards-looking religion - some things are valuable and worthwhile enough to fight to preserve.

Agreed; some things are, but in this instance, what exactly do feel is worth fighting to preserve, and what are preserving it from?
post #428 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

So, you're saying you've joined the cult of personality. Ok, fair enough.

With a democratic congress and possibly a magic 60 democratic senators you should really think about this as much, much more than Obama vs McCain because no one party should ever have control over all of it - especially the magic 60. The last time that happened was in the 76 election and not a single positive thing came out of that group in DC. Ideally I'd like to vote for a moderate (a bit more moderate than McCain and certainly much, much, much more moderate than Obama, his record on "working across the aisle" is pretty bad) but there is no moderate party just a bunch of my way or the highway idiots - sad...

No, that is precisely opposite from what I have said. I am not a big fan of Obama's personality. In fact, I think he is lacking one. It is over the last two months that I have come to understand the things he stands for that he has made me appreciate him.

We had Republicans in control for 5 years, only mixed it up the last two, and look waht good that did! My feeling is that Obama is the man who will bring this country out of the red, and this is based, NO MOST DEFINITELY NOT on the hype. Again, I hated the hype. I was actually quite turned off by that celebrity song based on his speach. My feeling of inspiration comes from what the man has said and the earnest quality of character that I have perceived in him.
post #429 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You are correct but God forbid that people only ever speak out when it is the safe or popular thing to do. If that were the case, who would ever stand up for the rights of the minority?

I can't pass up tossing in my two sense on this huge thread, and I thought this was a nice line to quote. Wonderful.

Anyway, I believe Apple has the right to support this. Critics are trying to paint it as a "political" move, but that is only true if you believe homosexuality is a politically motivated state of being. I think civil rights is a better category.

Go Apple.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #430 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

That is incorrect. Proposition 8 will not take away any rights from gays and lesbians so far as insurance, hospital rights, etc.

The biggest issue is that gay marriage will be taught to kids in school (as early as Kindergarten). Parents should have the right to teach their kids morals. It should not be controlled by the government. For that matter, I don't think marriage should be taught at all in school, but I guess that's for another debate.

Holey shit, you mean to tell me they teach marriage in school now?
Hell I learned how to get laid in school, not married,what's this world coming to. How about" Thou shalt not be stupid" The big question do you believe that if they learn about marriages, they will have to be taught the difference between gay and straight. An why is that?? Now sex education is another thing, do gays have he same rights, and do gays know if their gay in Kindergarden? Do we have separate classes?
post #431 of 1350
Oh maaan! Congratulations AI, now you know how to get unprecedented attention, let's do abortion next week
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #432 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

No, that is precisely opposite from what I have said. I am not a big fan of Obama's personality. In fact, I think he is lacking one. It is over the last two months that I have come to understand the things he stands for that he has made me appreciate him.

We had Republicans in control for 5 years, only mixed it up the last two, and look waht good that did! My feeling is that Obama is the man who will bring this country out of the red, and this is based, NO MOST DEFINITELY NOT on the hype. Again, I hated the hype. I was actually quite turned off by that celebrity song based on his speach. My feeling of inspiration comes from what the man has said and the earnest quality of character that I have perceived in him.

That is his personality. All the things you said are exactly what the cult of personality is all about. You thought 4 years of republicans was bad? They never had the magic 60, just wait until this cluster f*ck when the minority is completely and totally ignored...
post #433 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

please go back to your own woodwork (closet), sarges.

nah no need to join you there Vincenzo, you seem to inhabit a twilight world of confused morals and political ideologies
post #434 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

Agreed. It really makes me very sad. And a bit angry, but I'm old enough to realize anger begets anger. So I'm just trying to have faith that folks will come to see the light.

Abraham Lincoln, although he had a wife and four or five children, also had extremely close relationships with men. In fact, he lived with one, Joshua Speed, through to the end of his life. And they slept in the same bed. He also slept with his body guard, David Derickson, when his wife was away, and folks gossiped about it.

On top of that, he wrote a poem when he was young about two men marrying. Although the poem (which did not center on gay marriage) was comical (and certainly did not condemn the marriage of two males) at the very least this proves that Lincoln had considered the idea of two men marrying as a concept.

Whether the great and much respected President Abraham Lincoln was bisexual is obviously up for debate. But face it, folks... there has been homosexuality in our culture for a very very long time, and it has done absolutely no harm whatsoever to heterosexual folk. It has not eroded family values one bit. And some of our best citizens have been at the very least bisexual.

A young boy watching Queer Eye, or Will and Grace is only going to get the idea to experiment with homosexuality if that desire lies within his heart to begin with. If anything, perhaps guys will be influenced to take better care of their image, but that too is an obnoxious stereotype. I'm gay and couldn't give a **** about the way I look. My house is not overly designed. I do not swish around effeminately. But I smile at that kind of behavior, as it's yet another manifestation of life.

Why do so many folks have to be afraid of things that are different? Can't you imagine that human culture is like a great piece of music with lots of different movements and sound textures? If it was all twangy country wouldn't you get a bit bored?

what a load of cobblers, vacuity of thought coupled with political correctness
post #435 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does he? Whatever his reasoning, at the minimum it should be decided by the states, but ideally government would be 'divorced' from having any say regarding this issue.

Obama, Biden, McCain, Palin, Clinton, Romney, Huckabee, et.al, all stated they were against Same Sex Marriages, but have no problem with Civil Unions.
post #436 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

what a load of cobblers, vacuity of thought coupled with political correctness

hahah, I don't think the suggestion that Abraham Lincoln was bisexual is in the least politically correct.
post #437 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyslaptop View Post

As a long--time Apple lover, and as an Apple promoter to all of my friends, I find this upsetting. Apple needs to stay out of politics. Did it learn nothing from Disney?

I love apple, and God knows a lot of gay people are instrumental to the success of Apple. I love my Mac, which was designed by a gay guy, make a living with Final Cut Pro (also created by a gay man). I owe a lot to Apple. I won't stand for Apple attacking and trying to diminish my marriage though.

------

Gay marriage is not a civil rights issue. Anyone who understands what marriage is understands that. Even a business marriage fails if it is not based on combined production of some sort. This is idiocy.

Proposition 8 is about protecting a class that needs protection. It's about preserving the rights, benefits, and requirements for the creation and maintenance of the traditional family - which is the core to the continuation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The principles at stake of a traditional marriage warrant the creation of a protected class.

Marriage is not a Civil Right, period. It's a Choice for any gender. The Human Species doesn't have to marry to ensure the continuation of the species. Whether you are gay, straight or whatever, your respect and maturity in raising offspring, through birth or adoption falls squarely on your conscience and your intelligence to provide a safe, active and educational home for a child. I could careless if two kids were in a home of 50 straight men, women, both or their homosexual equivalents. Your sexual preference will never dictate your maturity and competency in managing to raise responsible adults for future generations.

I'd argue that there already are a large portion of both sexual preferences in Society that will never be capable of responsibly raising children, whether they adopt or have natural child birth. We already have a large group of children raising children and they aren't evolving the species. One could point out that our species is having a problem with adapting to the sheer numbers on this planet, but that's something people have a hard time discussing--overcrowding.

Right now, we have entirely too many children in foster care and even orphanages around the globe. There are those who want to adopt and regardless of sexual preference aren't qualifying to do so, for varying reasons.

Here we are in the 21st century arguing over the right for same sex members of the Human species to be recognized that they too can be miserably married.

To each their own.

With the population problems of the Globe you'd think people would be consciously aware that the species has a broad spectrum of life and the means to keep itself sustainable on this planet.

I get questioned for being twice divorced and having no children. I'm glad I don't have kids as I approach the age of 40. If I do ever have another marriage and she and I have a child, so be it. I sure as hell am not going to turn to the Government for support--it's my responsibility to keep my life within my means.
post #438 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Agniello View Post

hahah, I don't think the suggestion that Abraham Lincoln was bisexual is in the least politically correct.

Vincenzo, has it occurred to you that this is an Apple forum and not a fruity forum?
post #439 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post

I am astounded to hear people think that religion is the the main cause of the world's ills. Easy to think that when one doesn't know the details of religion. I guess they also think all black people look the same and are the same.

Just cause some lunatic claims to be Christian doesn't mean he actually is one. Jesus said love your enemy. So anybody who does evil in the name of Christianity is proving they are not a Christian. So quit using this flawed reason.

He also admonished us to love our neighbors as we do ourselves! I don't prevent you from marrying, so please don't stop me. This makes me question your claim to Christianity with this flawed argument, so quit it, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Since the beginning of recorded history, one man has tried to lord it over another. Most religions says this is wrong. Obviously the guy trying to lord it over the others cannot stand people who say we should treat others as equals.

Sound familiar at all? Why as a homosexual am I not equal and entitled to the same rights as you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Because of this, people who try to lord it over others have sought to counter true religion by claiming to have God on their side. It is indeed rare to find any war without some claim of divine support. It is then easy for the uninformed to see this as religion being the cause of the problems. But religion really had nothing to do with the cause of the problems; it was an excuse.

But you are right about gay marriage because God is on your side, no?
post #440 of 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrrrrrrr View Post

Again, it is not about whether homosexuality is good or not. The problem is that many diehard apple fans will switch now to linux or even worse windows. Most of us have opinion about this problem, so buying apple products means supporting homosexuality. Remember the incident with McDonald? People even stopped to buy their hamburgers.

Homosexuality is no longer someones personal opinion. Many religions just deny it and there are a lot of fighting politicans. Some religions state the answer cleary. I suppose it's even prohibited in islam and no one objects it.

Buying Apple products has always been supporting homosexuality as soon as they began offering partner benefits. Where was the hew and cry then or the mass exodus of customers? If one is going to scrutinize every company for whether they 'promote' homosexuality or 'its agenda' then one should do one's homework and be consistent about it. It's much easier to nip it in the bud.

I can't believe I'm actually trying to educate those on the other side!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple contributes $100,000 to fight California's No on 8 battle