or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Third-generation iPhone details?

Third-generation iPhone details?

post #1 of 13
I was looking at the buyer's guide on macrumors.com and it said the iPhone was due for a revision soon... Unfortunately there aren't really any details on what might come with the next version.

Anyone heard anything?
post #2 of 13
What's likely coming is an update of the iPhone 3G for 32 GB storage with no other changes. If Apple follows the same strategy as last year, a 32 GB iPhone 3G will be sold for $399 with 2 year contract.

The real 3rd generation iPhone will likely come in the Summer of 2009. Here, I would hope Apple updates CPU to 1.5x and the GPU to be 2x the performance, RAM to be 2x as much, HSUPA baseband, larger screen (3.8") with more pixels (720x480), better camera, etc. Also, I would hope Apple also takes the current iPhone 3G, shrink it to as small as possible and still have a 3.2" screen or so, and sell it for $99 with contract.

And of course, lots and lots of software updates.
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

What's likely coming is an update of the iPhone 3G for 32 GB storage with no other changes. If Apple follows the same strategy as last year, a 32 GB iPhone 3G will be sold for $399 with 2 year contract.

The real 3rd generation iPhone will likely come in the Summer of 2009. Here, I would hope Apple updates CPU to 1.5x and the GPU to be 2x the performance, RAM to be 2x as much, HSUPA baseband, larger screen (3.8") with more pixels (720x480), better camera, etc. Also, I would hope Apple also takes the current iPhone 3G, shrink it to as small as possible and still have a 3.2" screen or so, and sell it for $99 with contract.

And of course, lots and lots of software updates.

I'd settle for real-time iChat videoconferencing. Then again... waiting for T-mo to be brought into the fold.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 13
So is it safe tosay we shouldn't expect a true sucessor to iphone 3G? Nokias roadmap was leaked today and there are some very high powered touch screen phones due out soon not to mention one of those is going to be the flagship of s60 touch. Seems kind of slack of apple to just be using the same phone again for another year.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So is it safe tosay we shouldn't expect a true sucessor to iphone 3G? Nokias roadmap was leaked today and there are some very high powered touch screen phones due out soon not to mention one of those is going to be the flagship of s60 touch. Seems kind of slack of apple to just be using the same phone again for another year.

I think Apple plan to release one new model per year with new hardware features.

2007 1st Gen - iPhone
2008 2nd Gen - 3G & GPS
(prediction)
2009 3rd Gen (s) - Smartphone & Cheaphone

C.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Touchscreen is NOT the same as Multi-Touch. There are tons of touchscreen phones now, but it is the MULTItouch aspect that sets the iPhone apart (aside from the tons of miscellaneous apps aavailable.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie3000 View Post

I was looking at the buyer's guide on macrumors.com and it said the iPhone was due for a revision soon... Unfortunately there aren't really any details on what might come with the next version.

Anyone heard anything?

the third gen has a 32 gb memory space is what i know
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie3000 View Post

Anyone heard anything?

does anyone know the price of the iphone third gen?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I think Apple plan to release one new model per year with new hardware features.

2007 1st Gen - iPhone
2008 2nd Gen - 3G & GPS
(prediction)
2009 3rd Gen (s) - Smartphone & Cheaphone

C.

what is smartphone and cheaphone?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyguy1000 View Post

He's suggesting that Apple will continue advancing the iPhone as it has (smartphone) while also offering a cheap phone to capture market share-- presumably with somewhat fewer capabilities.

My theory is that Apple will never dip below the current iPhone's capabilities (regarding it as the bare minimum necessary for "the iPhone experience"), and instead make the current model the "cheap phone" while driving the upsell with cool new features on iPhones being sold at the current price points.

As many others have pointed out, a $99 vs. $199 phone isn't that big of a deal compared to the cost of the data plans, so the real "killer app" for a cheap phone would be a cheap data plan with restrictions.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyguy1000 View Post

Actually I don't agree with myself any more. :-)

A single iPhone sale makes Apple about as much profit as 10 netbook sales make for HP. So I no longer think Apple are motivated to shift the device downmarket.

My guess is that Apple will not do much to change screen resolution or the the way applications work. In other words they won't break the Applications that are currently out there.

And 3.0 software introduces some of the Smarphone features people have been asking for.

The most likely hardware change, I think is adding hardware to encode video. Either a dedicated chip or some OpenCL style use of the GPU. This would allow iPhone to record and upload YouTube clips - and potentially make video calls.

An upgrade of the processor and the RAM is likely too. Top of my personal wish list is speeding up the switching of apps. So doubling the RAM would help by allowing quitted apps to remain in memory for instant relaunch. It would make the device a lot snappier.

One potential new direction is permitting AppleTV functionality on the Phone. But I can see downsides to that too.

C.
post #12 of 13
"CPU to 1.5x" means dropping underclocking. Nothing more. No way with actual battery and Infineon chips.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #13 of 13
The Iphone 3G II will come in 16 and 32 Gb, some notable changes are camera up to 3.2Mp, Adobe Flash Lite 2x capable - maybe Flash Mobile 7, some info about extended battery life, and better business functioning with server something (that part I didn't pay attention to as much... I'm not a business user -- But Flash, Hulu alone, for the tens of thousands of sites incorporating flash animation and videos is great for net use). There were a couple other things that I either didn't get or particularly care about, but I've heard that if you want to get an Iphone, it's worth waiting for the mid to late july release.

We know from previous years that Apple's new info comes out like clockwork with their big presentations that happen June 12-20th and release a month later.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Third-generation iPhone details?