or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rogers says quarter million iPhones sold in Canada
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rogers says quarter million iPhones sold in Canada - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The iPhone puchase plan is extremely clear on this point, you MUST:

1) purchase a data plan
2) purchase a voice plan that is $30 a month or more

This was explained to me, in depth, by two different Rogers account managers. If you want to break either of these criterion after the fact there's a $50 dollar penalty.


Maury

I don't think you are fully correct here. You are right, that if your voice plan portion was not $30+, then you were charged an additional $50. However, the the data plan portion was 100% optional. Go to HowardForums sometime and browse the Rogers/Fido forums. There you will find many posts from Rogers employees that the data portion was optional. There are reports that there are sales people, stores and managers that were telling customers the data portion was mandatory because the salesperson and store received 0 commission for selling an iPhone without data.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The iPhone puchase plan is extremely clear on this point, you MUST:

1) purchase a data plan
2) purchase a voice plan that is $30 a month or more

This was explained to me, in depth, by two different Rogers account managers. If you want to break either of these criterion after the fact there's a $50 dollar penalty.

Interesting. Looks like things have changed from the last time I looked into it.

Google tells me this (dated October 24):
Quote:
There was a rule put in place about a month ago that says CSRs cannot sell a phone without data unless they have a store manager's approval of it first. In a lot of cases the manager simply says no. This was born out of the massive problems Rogers/Fido was having with the $2000 data bills people were getting.

When I went to purchase mine (I have a phone with only voice plan) they said it went in effect that thursday, this was a friday, so I went over to a Wireless Wave store and the guy set me up without problems.

So to restate, it is now ROGERS/FIDO POLICY to not sell without data unless store manager have given approval. If (s)he does give approval then you are fine. If not try a Wireless Wave or a Booth etc, type store because this policy does not apply to them.

DO NOT even turn the phone on until data has been blocked. Just the start up of the phone cost me $3 in data charges and I didn't even open one App.

Just call into Rogers/Fido and tell them to completely block all data. They have an entire department set up for iPhones.

Good luck.
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Interesting. Looks like things have changed from the last time I looked into it.

Google tells me this (dated October 24):

This is still current policy. You can buy the iPhone without data. You wouldn't be smart to do so, but you can do it. It was mainly sketchy sales people and managers that were telling customers they could not, so they could up their commissions.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

When I take my son out for a walk and want to have music for the walk, I will just stream my music from my Mac or from one of the internet radio stations. This uses lot of data. When I am out or town and need to pull over to use the GPS , this can use a fair amount of data. When I am out of the house and large emails come in, this can use a lot of data.

I use Wifi whenever possible. However, because I do not chain myself to my house and office, there are lots of times where using data means using 3G (when Rogers is not having more network issues)

No it doesn't. Check your data usage. Worried about large emailsdo you know how to set your preferences. Why the hell would you want to stream your music from your Mac. You are kidding. Aren't you?

Considering that nobody is complaining anywhere in the world about limited data plans and the iPhone satisfaction surveys are in the 80-90% level, you arguments are ludicrous.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

No it doesn't.

No what doesn't? Not having access to wifi doesn't mean having to use 3G for data? What, you have your own data fairy that provides data when you don't have wifi? Me? I use 3G for that. That what I pay for.

If you only use data when on Wifi and never 3G, why did you opt to pay an additional $30 a month? Because you use 3G when Wifi isn't available. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Check your data usage. Worried about large emails…do you know how to set your preferences.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? I am going to adjust my preferences to limit my data usage? If I get large emails, I want to read them. Period. Just because you are willing to adjust the way you use your iPhone to lower your data usage, doesn't mean I would want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why the hell would you want to stream your music from your Mac. You are kidding. Aren't you?

Um, are you being intentionally simple? Please tell me you are, because otherwise...

yes, I stream from my Mac. Many people do. That is why SimplifyMedia is one of the top iPhone apps. In fact, and this might surprise you, there will be people in this world that use their iPhone in ways that are different than you. Some might even use it for data intensive apps and even on 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Considering that nobody is complaining anywhere in the world about limited data plans and the iPhone satisfaction surveys are in the 80-90% level, you arguments are ludicrous.

Then why didn't you opt for the original canned iPhone plans? because something better came along, that is why. Your arguments aren't just ludicrous, they are factually inaccurate. You claim no one uses more than 100MB, but that is obviously wrong (your own usage proving otherwise). You claim Apple banned data intensive apps. That is just beyond stupid, it can only be proof of overt dishonesty. You once claimed there were no internet radio apps at the Canadian AppStore too, but that was just made up shit as well.

And yeah, in case you missed it, there was a hell of a lot of people complaining about thelimited iPhone data plans Rogers offered. That is why they offered the $30/6GB. Even you were not stupid enough to follow your own advice and take one of those original plans.

And iPhone satisfaction surveys hardly show satisfaction with Rogers. Rogers doesn't make the iPhone. Rogers approval ratings are hardly stellar.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You might be averaging 200MB per month

Now I get it. You don't know how to read. I never said that.
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now I get it. You don't know how to read. I never said that.

No, I think you have ably and repeatedly demonstrated that you truly do not get it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #48 of 48
Actually, not that it makes a difference, but let's correct the statement: You might me averaging less than 200MB.

hey look, your points are still dishonest, incorrect, made up and just wrong. It really made no difference.

Again, enjoy your $30/6GB plan. Your one smart move was to go with that instead of your much praised original plans. You were smart to go back on your convictions. Don't feel bad about it invaliding any points you might have had. Don't feel back about contradicting yourself between posts. Certainly don't feel the need to make up more 'facts'. I know you have said you are a scientist or researcher, so hopefully you are more honest in your work than you are here.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rogers says quarter million iPhones sold in Canada