or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged iPhone 2.2 leak shows direct podcast downoads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alleged iPhone 2.2 leak shows direct podcast downoads

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
An apparent new slip from Apple's upcoming iPhone firmware update shows the device gaining a long requested ability to download podcasts directly from the device instead of relying on an iTunes sync.

The claimed leak of iPhone 2.2 beta features handed to TUAW shows a list of episodes from a podcast with a new "Get More Episodes" item added at the bottom.

Tapping the option doesn't perform any actions in the current build of the software but implies that iPhone and iPod touch owners will have the option of picking and downloading individual podcasts, though whether subscriptions are also possible isn't mentioned.

While no other discussions of this feature with iPhone 2.2 have surfaced until this point, casting a certain amount of doubt, the appearance would potentially explain Apple's decision to pull Podcaster from the App Store.

At the time, Apple had described the podcast download utility as replicating an iTunes feature despite other iPhone music and podcast apps with streaming-only features -- either of which are possible in iTunes -- surviving the cut.

If part of the final release, podcast downloads would make the in-development firmware one of Apple's largest outside of the landmark 1.1 and 2.0 releases. The California electronics giant is set to expand Google Maps with Street View, directions for public transit and walking, and location sharing. It should also carry text auto-correction, support for Japanese emoji symbols and the ability to rate App Store listings.

post #2 of 54
The ability to download podcasts on the iPod Touch and iPhone is great news along with the other features of the 2.2 update.
post #3 of 54
The single feature is reason enough for me to be excited about 2.2. As I travel regularly and it's a pain not to mention against my companies IT rules to have iTunes on my company laptop just to get my podcast fix everyday.
post #4 of 54
Will this update be free for iPod Touch?
post #5 of 54
Street View will be great but then they'll have to update with the Car Navigator being developped by Google Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj6ahH1SRhc

Seems quite great !
post #6 of 54
don't care. i want to see push notification
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by qntmfred View Post

don't care. i want to see push notification

I don't care you don't care, so I thought I'd post a reply about it
post #8 of 54
Great news!
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #9 of 54
one step closer to wireless sync!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Will this update be free for iPod Touch?

Yes. They charge for big jumps like 1.X to 2.X but 2.1 to 2.2 etc are free. Anyone know why they charge for Touch but not iPhone?
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #11 of 54
It sounds like it works like the AppleTV podcast downloads.
I find this useful, glad to have it, but I'd much rather have a subscription system like iTunes gives.

On the AppleTV I have to specifically browse my favourite podcasts, then pick an episode to play or download. Lets hope both the AppleTV and iPhone allow you to check all your subscriptions (or check your favourites) for new episodes.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Yes. They charge for big jumps like 1.X to 2.X but 2.1 to 2.2 etc are free. Anyone know why they charge for Touch but not iPhone?

The iTouch doesn't have a telco contract and drives residuals to Apple like the iPhone.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by qntmfred View Post

don't care. i want to see push notification

and for Apple to enable the full functionality of the bluetooth chip (both iPhone and Touch have the same 2.1 chip)
post #14 of 54
duplicate post
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

and for Apple to enable the full functionality of the bluetooth chip (both iPhone and Touch have the same 2.1 chip)

It is a software issue. Not hardware. Apple crippled the BT stack. That is why there is no A2DP, or OBEX, or any other reasonable "smartphone" feature.

BTW: direct downloadable podcasts are not new. Other phones have had them for years.
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

one step closer to wireless sync!

Now this would something to be excited about. Direct downloadable podcasts? Does Apple really think these dribs and drabs are innovative or impressive?
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by qntmfred View Post

don't care. i want to see push notification

Me to. I don`t care about pointless eye candy like street maps and google earth and all the other stuff that keeps getting added.

Give us practical things like Push Services and Cut&Paste. Jesus, how hard can it be?
post #18 of 54
Looks to me like the option to download more episodes was under an existing podcast synced to the phone. So, it seems it lets you get other episodes of your existing subscriptions rather directly, which is what I want to do most of the time. I would then hope the new episode syncs back if not completely listened to.

Subscribing to new podcasts on the phone would be nice as well. Probably not a huge deal to extend the iTunes app to list the podcasts. Bonus if you can do that over the cell network and not only WiFi. Also, it would probably support the "subscribe in iTunes" links on webpages.

Also: is it only me that figured Apple denied the podcaster app because they were working on this? I agree it would have been better had they told the developer not to bother developing a podcast app, but then that gets back to how much of their future plans do they have to reveal.

Frankly, I'm now worried that by Apple not rejecting any of the todo apps, they are tacitly saying they are not going to make one that syncs with iCal. However, there are a couple of apps that will email a Google maps link of your current location, but I think I saw that feature was coming, and they didn't reject those apps.
post #19 of 54
It is my belief that the absence of cut, copy and paste on the iPhone is very similar to the absence of arrow keys on the original Mac. It is forcing developers to not rely on the old, inelegant ways for everything and develop proper UI elements to perform the real function you are using cut, copy and paste as a hack to do.

This is not to say that you don't need this feature ever. You certainly need it for when there is nothing else, but once developers get used to not relying on it because it is there, then it will reappear just as the arrow keys on the Mac keyboard did once developers explored the mouse rather than ignore it because they had the trusty old arrow keys they'd always used. John Gruber has a nice analysis of this: http://daringfireball.net/2007/08/clipboard_and_arrows
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumi View Post

Me to. I don`t care about pointless eye candy like street maps and google earth and all the other stuff that keeps getting added.

Give us practical things like Push Services and Cut&Paste. Jesus, how hard can it be?

In many cases, it is precisely because it is hard that you don't see a particular feature right away and instead see other, eye candy like features come out ahead of it. Not every programmer at Apple can be working on each feature at once, so it stands to reason that some of the simpler stuff will come out first. Certainly, in the case of Google Earth, those were Google programmers working on it over at Google. It's a 3rd party app - not an Apple produced one like the Maps app is.

Personally, I would rather see a system search feature before cut, copy and paste. At least a search feature within apps that have many data files like Mail, Notes and iTunes.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumi View Post

Me to. I don`t care about pointless eye candy like street maps and google earth and all the other stuff that keeps getting added.

Give us practical things like Push Services and Cut&Paste. Jesus, how hard can it be?

Last time I checked, GoogleEarth was an OPTIONAL app. You don't have to put them on your phone if you don't feel them worthy. Other people however, do feel that way. That is the nice thing about choice right?

Cut&Paste does not seem to be the end-all-and-be-all for most users. I certainly am using my iPhone just fine without it as well as the several dozen friends of mine that also have one and have nothing to complain about. I would prefer Apple continue refining their product.

I'm sure Cut/Paste will come one day when they are able to implement it in an elegant way.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukei View Post

Street View will be great but then they'll have to update with the Car Navigator being developped by Google Japan

I watched the video and can't see any difference to the current Driving Directions with Street View in Australia (and I thought the rest of the world)

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumi View Post

Me to. I don`t care about pointless eye candy like street maps and google earth and all the other stuff that keeps getting added.

Give us practical things like Push Services and Cut&Paste. Jesus, how hard can it be?

Dont care!

I Want!

Give it a rest. I want never gets! didn't ever your mother tell you that?
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

and for Apple to enable the full functionality of the bluetooth chip (both iPhone and Touch have the same 2.1 chip)

Are they really the same chip? I thought the one in the Touch was a modified/crippled version for the Nike features.

Man, full Bluetooth support would be great. I just picked up a pretty decent headset for a measly 13 euros. Combined with Fring, I'd no longer use my handheld phones.

MBP 17" (early 2011) • iMac 24" (mid-2007) • iBook G3 (early 2001)

Reply

MBP 17" (early 2011) • iMac 24" (mid-2007) • iBook G3 (early 2001)

Reply
post #25 of 54
And what about basic missing features, like sync-ed notes and to-do lists
Those are the apps I'm waiting for !
post #26 of 54
If true, this is awesome. Downloading podcasts makes so much sense. Hell, some UK carriers even use the idea in their advertising when talking up unlimited data add-ons.

I listen to a few podcasts that can be out-of-date very quickly. By the time I've downloaded them on my MBP and synced, it's too late to listen to them. I've been using my N95 8GB to download podcasts but if I can use my iPod touch instead then great!
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

It is a software issue. Not hardware. Apple crippled the BT stack. That is why there is no A2DP, or OBEX, or any other reasonable "smartphone" feature.

BTW: direct downloadable podcasts are not new. Other phones have had them for years.

So I guess they shouldn't offer it because other phones have had it for years.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eji View Post

Are they really the same chip? I thought the one in the Touch was a modified/crippled version for the Nike features.

Man, full Bluetooth support would be great. I just picked up a pretty decent headset for a measly 13 euros. Combined with Fring, I'd no longer use my handheld phones.

Don't get to happy just yet. The app has to make use of the audio system. It is not allowed in the SDK you will still have to use the stock crappy Apple headphones.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So I guess they shouldn't offer it because other phones have had it for years.

I did not say this. I just state the fact that this once again Apple trying (or maybe I perceived it wrong) as passing off something basic and normal as new and innovative.

Give me wireless syncing and then I am impressed.

Apple will nickel and dime you with basic features all day long because there are some that will actually think this is new and improved.

Wireless syncing is where the real money is at.
post #30 of 54
I assumed this would happen when podcaster was denied.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

I did not say this. I just state the fact that this once again Apple trying (or maybe I perceived it wrong) as passing off something basic and normal as new and innovative.

Give me wireless syncing and then I am impressed.

Apple will nickel and dime you with basic features all day long because there are some that will actually think this is new and improved.

Wireless syncing is where the real money is at.

Nickle and dime, they are adding new features and y'all still complain. In what way are theyvsaying this is innovative, they are just adding features but yet you still find acway to complain or you think they shouldn't add anything.
post #32 of 54
Can you delete podcasts from iPhone/Touch without syncing now?

If not, I think that would be an interesting if not necessary option with direct downloads, if only for disk space management.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Will this update be free for iPod Touch?

Ten bucks....
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

I watched the video and can't see any difference to the current Driving Directions with Street View in Australia (and I thought the rest of the world)


I hope the driving directions don't really have you going the wrong way on a one way street.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The iTouch doesn't have a telco contract and drives residuals to Apple like the iPhone.

That is not the reason. It has been explained many times, yet people still get it wrong.

It is NOT related to the iPhone service contracts, they form no part in the deferred revenue model that Apple is using for the iPhone.

The way it works is as follows :-

The money that Apple get for the iPhone when you buy it is not all realised as revenue at the time of the sale. Instead Apple take 1/24 of the sale price only each month as revenue, eventually taking the full revenue after 2 years. This was specifically done by Apple for the iPhone and Apple TV to enable them to legally and without charge offer regular updates for both devices without falling foul of the Sarbane-Oxley laws. As Apple only take part of the revenue each month from the sale of the device, they can then claim that any updates are covered in the revenue taken. It is called GAAP accounting and there are some very detailed explanation on this very web site on how it works.

This is NOT how they account for iPod touch sales, where 100% of the revenue is take at the time of the sale. Therefore any upgrades need to be paid for or Apple would break the Sawbane-Oxley law.
post #36 of 54
Way to go Apple. Crush the competition then release your app and force people to choose yours, because it's the only one available. HI-FIVE!!!!
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The iTouch doesn't have a telco contract and drives residuals to Apple like the iPhone.

In addition to what Parky said which was spot on, I would add.
It is NOT true that all telco contracts drive residuals to Apple.
People think that model caused the Touch to have fees, and as Parky explained that's not true.

But also, up to date information on the iPhone contracting with 3G would discount the residual revenue model from many, but not all, of the telcos.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Way to go Apple. Crush the competition then release your app and force people to choose yours, because it's the only one available. HI-FIVE!!!!

You can always go to the android store to find a better solution..... not so much.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

This is NOT how they account for iPod touch sales, where 100% of the revenue is take at the time of the sale. Therefore any upgrades need to be paid for or Apple would break the Sawbane-Oxley law.

What I don't understand is why the Apple TV upgrade was free whilst major iPod touch upgrades are not.

You could argue that the Apple TV gained the ability to download movies, thus generating Apple sustained income. However, a similar update for the iPod touch enabled the ability to download applications, thus also generating a sustained income for Apple. The iPod touch also has the ability to play movies and music from iTunes - another two sources of income.

I can only conclude that the iPod touch has a greater potential to generate future income for Apple than the Apple TV. And yet, the Apple TV update was free and the iPod touch major updates are not.

Can anyone explain?
post #40 of 54
What the hell are you talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You can always go to the android store to find a better solution..... not so much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Alleged iPhone 2.2 leak shows direct podcast downoads