or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook Airs ship; Psystar plans Mac notebook, Blu-ray desktop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook Airs ship; Psystar plans Mac notebook, Blu-ray desktop - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Nope, haven't bought one.

Can you explain how, in reality, purchasing your own hardware legally is considered stealing? And, can you describe, in the RDF, what it looks like to steal hardware that you purchased legally?

It isn't the hardware that's stolen, it's the software.
Buy a clue, they aren't that hard to get.
post #42 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

It isn't the hardware that's stolen, it's the software.
Buy a clue, they aren't that hard to get.

The Mac OS X installation DVD is purchased from Apple, similar to how most people ordered Mac OS X Leopard installation DVDs to upgrade from 10.4 Tiger.

Can you explain how it is possible to steal something that you bought, legally, from Apple?

Please, feel free to use RDF if necessary to explain your position.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

That's a bit much, when installing a Blu-ray drive (that still won't play HDCP Blu-ray movies) is about the extent of Psystar's abilities.

Provided that the hardware they use supports HDCP they could in theory play Blu-ray, but there is no playback software for MacOS as of yet.

Honestly, I am surprised Apple hasn't released Blu-ray as a CTO option yet on any of their Macs. With or without blu-ray playback, putting an CTO option on the Mac Pro wouldn't be such a bad idea. People doing video editing could burn their project onto a Blu-ray disc and give a client a preview on a BD-R disc that they could playback through a bluray player.

On the current generation of MBs there is no reason that they couldn't offer a BD-ROM CTO option. Before anyone claims that there are no Bluray drives that can fit in the MB or MBP I would just like to point out that Panasonic released a slimline drive that can fit into the MBs earlier this year. Nvidia lists HDCP support in both the 9400M and the 9600M so unless Apple paid Nvidia to break HDCP support, which seems unlikely then the only thing stopping Apple from selling CTO Bluray capable laptops is adding Bluray playback support to iDVD. If licensing is so expensive how are BD-ROM drives being sold presumably for a profit for ~$200 with legally licensed playback software. Steve Jobs is just blowing smoke about the licensing cost. Offer a CTO option for ~$300 for a BD-ROM on the MBP and the MB and Apple undercuts a niche for Psystar. Apple would easily pocket $100 per drive that they were selling. Even for Apple a ~33% margin on a product would be considered fairly good.

Considering that Psystar probably isn't making a huge amount of money, Apple would probably pay more money in legal fees then they could ever hope to recoup in a legal settlement. Unless can show me evidence that they are making a lot of money burying Psystar in a lawsuit would probably be purely for the principal of somebody violating Apple's IP not because their were doing it for the money.

If I were Apple I would try to bury Psystar by denying them any significant edge in their products feature wise. You obviously waste as much of their money as possible by releasing updates that don't work with their hacked version of OSX, but I don't see that as the only strategy to hurt them and ultimately drive them out of business.

A significantly revamped Mac Mini for example would temper interest in the Open Computer. The people who truly like tinkering will build their own hackintosh instead of paying someone else to build it for them. Relative to the cost of the parts, the Open Computer seems overpriced for what you are getting so I don't really see the market for the Open Computer being the gearhead crowd. Simply adding a dedicated mobile chipset would give the Mac Mini a huge bump in the graphics performance undercutting a lot of the criticism that the Mac Mini is too underpowered. The original PPC Mac Mini had dedicated graphics @ $500. It wasn't mind boggling performance at that price point, but it was far superior to the integrated solutions of the time. If Apple sold a dramatically revamped Mac Mini with improved graphics chipset, a bit more RAM, slightly more powerful CPU, and a bigger HDD starting at $550 I think interest in the Open Computer would be minimized.
post #44 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Mac OS X installation DVD is purchased from Apple, similar to how most people ordered Mac OS X Leopard installation DVDs to upgrade from 10.4 Tiger.

Can you explain how it is possible to steal something that you bought, legally, from Apple?

Please, feel free to use RDF if necessary to explain your position.

Why don't you and Psystar go and develop your own OS and sell it with your hardware, why do you have to use what belongs to Apple and try to profit from it, if you are so desperate to have Apple's software on different hardware, go and build you own computer and install Mac OSX, Apple doesn't seem to mind people who do that, they only mind when you try and profit from doing so like Psystar is doing. If what they were doing is right why haven't the likes of Dell, HP and also done the same. Psystar will go down and anybody clueless enoguh to go and buy their computers will be left with a brick soon.
post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Can you explain how it is possible to steal something that you bought, legally, from Apple?

My latest best selling blockbuster book, entitled "Please don't steal this book" is available from all good bookshops. Priced at $19.99 for the hardback edition. g3pro buys my book... chops of the cover ... makes it into a paperback and sells it (on his own web site!) for $5.99

His older brother g4pro takes the story and makes a movie. Advertised as "Based on the best selling book..." the film is a moderate success.

Can g3pro explain to me how it is possible that he DID NOT STEAL MY BOOK?



Quote:
Please, feel free to use RDF if necessary to explain your position.

Thanks but none needed!
post #46 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

My latest best selling blockbuster book, entitled "Please don't steal this book" is available from all good bookshops. Priced at $19.99 for the hardback edition. g3pro buys my book... chops of the cover ... makes it into a paperback and sells it (on his own web site!) for $5.99

His older brother g4pro takes the story and makes a movie. Advertised as "Based on the best selling book..." the film is a moderate success.

Can g3pro explain to me how it is possible that he DID NOT STEAL MY BOOK?





Thanks but none needed!

Ownage.
post #47 of 141
Hahah we all wish we had the time + energy the Psystar guy does. He is sticking to his guns. He may be wrong, may be right. One this is for sure, Apple will make him filthy, FILTHY RICH to just go away. He is already pretty happy IMO
post #48 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Nope, haven't bought one.

Can you explain how, in reality, purchasing your own hardware legally is considered stealing? And, can you describe, in the RDF, what it looks like to steal hardware that you purchased legally?

They are using Apple Brand to sell to the open public a mediocre product.
To create a successful Brand like Apple: The management (Job's & his team) have undergone extensive research & development, they have acquired other companies and their technologies and BTW PAYED for the rights of them, they have thousand of employees that has made a great deal cause of work as a team and also as individuals that have had leveled the organization in so many areas.
So you took all that work and simply rip it off to your own benefit and use their brand and in this case their software to make profit without ever spending a dime. That is STEAL.

Lets see it in this other way, lets suppose you have a company in your country and it is very successful. Then a guy like me that doesn't know you personally or ever had any contact with you or your business find that I can use your company image and products and offer them here in my country thousands of miles away. I will use your copyrighted images, the names of your products in my own offerings. I will say my products are better and cheaper than yours and will make a couple of millions at your expense.

Now tell me, If that is ok with you?

Apple have created their own hardware for their software. They never wanted or sold their software (OS X) to any individual or company.

Dunno what else you need to realize that Psystar is wrong doing totally.
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA View Post

Provided that the hardware they [Psystar] use supports HDCP they could in theory play Blu-ray

And monkeys might fly out of my...

Quote:
Considering that Psystar probably isn't making a huge amount of money, Apple would probably pay more money in legal fees then they could ever hope to recoup in a legal settlement. Unless can show me evidence that they are making a lot of money burying Psystar in a lawsuit would probably be purely for the principal of somebody violating Apple's IP not because their were doing it for the money.

No matter the cost right now, if Apple doesn't act aggressively to protect its IP, others will follow in Psystar's footsteps and make it even more costly for Apple in the long run.

Quote:
If I were Apple I would try to bury Psystar by denying them any significant edge in their products feature wise.

All Apple has to do is shut down Psystar's "Mac" business through the legal system, while continuing to deliver good quality, good performance (even exceptional performance in the Mac Pro), and good support, all on a massive scale.
Most Mac and PC customers aren't going to understand why a BR drive doesn't play BR movies. Psystar is going to have a few disenchanted customers with their most recent move. BR movies compete with iTMS and AppleTV, which is one reason Apple doesn't offer Blu-ray as an option. If Apple can postpone Blu-ray long enough, the Internet will kill Blu-ray. Every day that goes by brings us closer to the day when Blu-ray is irrelevant.

Quote:
A significantly revamped Mac Mini for example would temper interest in the Open Computer.

"Significantly" is the watch word. The current Mac mini is still quite good. It takes a while for hardware components to progress to where a Mac mini can be significantly updated while maintaining a decent profit margin.
post #50 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Hahah we all wish we had the time + energy the Psystar guy does. He is sticking to his guns. He may be wrong, may be right. One this is for sure, Apple will make him filthy, FILTHY RICH to just go away. He is already pretty happy IMO

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
When a copyrightable work is registered with the Library of Congress, its owner can request and be awarded "treble" damages (3X the actual damages) by the court from an infringer. Apple also has trademark issues to reconcile with Psystar. Psystar might just be negotiating itself into bankruptcy here, with the only question being how badly.
post #51 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

Is it illegal to install OS X, on a computer one builds himself? Or is that still against Apple's copyrights? Just wondering.

It is legal if Apple (the owner of the copyright to Mac OS X) has given you permission to install the software on your own computer. Chances are, Apple hasn't given this to you. The EULA (end user license agreement) bundled with retail copies of Mac OS X does not provide such permission either. If you've not received permission from Apple through other means, then you don't have permission.

Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Why don't you and Psystar go and develop your own OS and sell it with your hardware, why do you have to use what belongs to Apple and try to profit from it, if you are so desperate to have Apple's software on different hardware, go and build you own computer and install Mac OSX, Apple doesn't seem to mind people who do that, they only mind when you try and profit from doing so like Psystar is doing. If what they were doing is right why haven't the likes of Dell, HP and also done the same. Psystar will go down and anybody clueless enoguh to go and buy their computers will be left with a brick soon.

Something that you buy, for money, from Apple belongs to you. If someone buys a Mac OS X installation DVD from Apple for $129, Apple can't go to that person's house and take back the installation DVD.



Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

My latest best selling blockbuster book, entitled "Please don't steal this book" is available from all good bookshops. Priced at $19.99 for the hardback edition. g3pro buys my book... chops of the cover ... makes it into a paperback and sells it (on his own web site!) for $5.99

His older brother g4pro takes the story and makes a movie. Advertised as "Based on the best selling book..." the film is a moderate success.

Can g3pro explain to me how it is possible that he DID NOT STEAL MY BOOK?

If I buy the book for $19.99, I am allowed tear the book page by page and scan it in and read it on my computer. I am allowed to dictate the book to myself so I can listen to it later. I am allowed to copy the book so I can read it in plain text on my computer.

Psystar is not chopping up copies of OS X and copying it and distributing it. You buy a copy of OS X FROM APPLE that Psystar installs for you. Apple gets paid for OS X.

Your point is invalid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

They are using Apple Brand to sell to the open public a mediocre product.
To create a successful Brand like Apple: The management (Job's & his team) have undergone extensive research & development, they have acquired other companies and their technologies and BTW PAYED for the rights of them, they have thousand of employees that has made a great deal cause of work as a team and also as individuals that have had leveled the organization in so many areas.
So you took all that work and simply rip it off to your own benefit and use their brand and in this case their software to make profit without ever spending a dime. That is STEAL.

Lets see it in this other way, lets suppose you have a company in your country and it is very successful. Then a guy like me that doesn't know you personally or ever had any contact with you or your business find that I can use your company image and products and offer them here in my country thousands of miles away. I will use your copyrighted images, the names of your products in my own offerings. I will say my products are better and cheaper than yours and will make a couple of millions at your expense.

Now tell me, If that is ok with you?

Apple have created their own hardware for their software. They never wanted or sold their software (OS X) to any individual or company.

Dunno what else you need to realize that Psystar is wrong doing totally.

All Psystar is doing is building a computer, selling that to the customer, and allowing the customer to purchase Mac OS X FROM APPLE to install on the computer. Mac OS X is not being ripped off by them. Apple still sells a copy of OS X for every copy sold for use in a Psystar computer. That is not stealing.

They are not using a trademark or a brand to sell a computer. They are selling a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from Apple. Apple also sells a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from them. Sorry, your point is invalid.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

Is it illegal to install OS X, on a computer one builds himself? Or is that still against Apple's copyrights? Just wondering.

You bought the computer and you bought the copy of OS X. You should be able to do with it as you please. Including using it to wipe your ass after taking a crap.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

It is legal if Apple (the owner of the copyright to Mac OS X) has given you permission to install the software on your own computer. Chances are, Apple hasn't given this to you. The EULA (end user license agreement) bundled with retail copies of Mac OS X does not provide such permission either. If you've not received permission from Apple through other means, then you don't have permission.

By the way, I am not a lawyer... but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

I don't have permission from Apple to use the installation DVD to wipe my ass. I guess it's illegal then, right?
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #54 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
When a copyrightable work is registered with the Library of Congress, its owner can request and be awarded "treble" damages (3X the actual damages) by the court from an infringer. Apple also has trademark issues to reconcile with Psystar. Psystar might just be negotiating itself into bankruptcy here, with the only question being how badly.

That sounds more likely. hehe
post #55 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I don't have permission from Apple to use the installation DVD to wipe my ass. I guess it's illegal then, right?

No, that doesn't involve an act of copying, so you should do that quite often.
post #56 of 141
The cost of developing OS X is included in the price of each Macintosh. Some would argue that the OS is the most important feature delineating the Mac from "ordinary computers". The inclusion of OS X is one of the reasons Apple can charge as much as they do for Macs.

OS X retail packs are intended for use only on Apple-branded computers. It says so right in the license agreement. This means that every legal installation of a retail pack is effectively an *upgrade* to the OS originally supplied with the Mac

Apple prices their OS X retail packs at a much lower cost for Mac owners than they would have to charge if it were intended for others.

Some say "Ok, let them charge us non-Mac owners a little more, but then let us legally install OS-X on any computer if we want." There are a few problems with this scenario.

1) Even opening the OS to all comers, Apple is unlikely to match Microsoft's market penetration any time soon. Mac sales would certainly plummet. In order to amortize development costs over a relatively small number of users, Apple would have to charge significantly more for the OS X retail pack than what Microsoft charges for Vista. Some people might be willing pony up the high cost, but many others would pirate it. If piracy became widespread, Apple might follow Microsoft by incorporating an obnoxious DRM registration and validation process. That would be both bad for legitimate users and a drain on Apple's development.

2) Apple would be obliged to take on the burden of testing and qualifying it on a variety of hardware configurations, modifying the OS (on a schedule not under their control) in order to accommodate new hardware, having to support the use on all these platforms or face the wrath of customers and the devaluation of the Apple brand. Apple has seen what this business model has done to Microsoft. Apple doesn't have the security of a 90% entrenched market share, and could not survive a failure such as Vista.

The world is different than it was when Microsoft grew to dominate the industry by licensing its OS (and through dirty business dealings, but we won't go into that). It is unreasonable now to expect Apple, a much smaller company whose present business model appears to be profitable, to risk all by attempting to compete on the same playing field as defined by its much larger competitor.

When YOU run Apple, feel free to try your grand experiment of freely licensing OS X. I'm just glad that the present Apple management has the good sense not to.
post #57 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Yeah I thought it was funny too. I guess it's hard to put a price on having a silver plastic Apple on a computer case.

I own a MacPro, big difference between the engineering of the Pro and what amounts to a clone case with standard parts. I don't own one of the Psystar machines, but I have had clone boxes under my desk as well and they are not near as reliable, on the whole.


My MacPro is silent, sturdy, runs very cool, and if I have a problem, I can haul it down to the Apple store. Wondering if Psystar will be opening up a service depot in my area?
post #58 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

All Psystar is doing is building a computer, selling that to the customer, and allowing the customer to purchase Mac OS X FROM APPLE to install on the computer. Mac OS X is not being ripped off by them. Apple still sells a copy of OS X for every copy sold for use in a Psystar computer. That is not stealing.

They are not using a trademark or a brand to sell a computer. They are selling a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from Apple. Apple also sells a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from them. Sorry, your point is invalid.

You bought the computer and you bought the copy of OS X. You should be able to do with it as you please. Including using it to wipe your ass after taking a crap.

Sorry, are you blind?

1. Psystar sold computers with OSX preinstalled, they removed that later.
2. Do you EVER has saw Psystar website????

Name, packaging, images without any permission of use from Apple. That violates copyright.

You are trying to stand on something that is builded on quicksand. Don't waste more time trying to justify Psystar wrong doing. If you don't have moral and values at all.... well... is your very own problem.
Thankfully there are still a lot of trillions that do the right thing.
post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, that doesn't involve an act of copying, . .

Neither does the Psystar when it sells a computer which can run OS X.

pwned.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #60 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Name, packaging, images without any permission of use from Apple. That violates copyright.

Uhhhhh, you don't know anything about copyright.

Those are screenshots of a product that is sold. Have you ever seen eBay with people selling Apple hardware?

OMGOMGOMG, COPYRIGHT POLICE, STOP THE EBAY SELLERS FROM PROFITING OFF OF APPLE!!111

Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Something that you buy, for money, from Apple belongs to you. If someone buys a Mac OS X installation DVD from Apple for $129, Apple can't go to that person's house and take back the installation DVD.

I do not believe that is the issue.
Quote:
If I buy the book for $19.99, I am allowed tear the book page by page and scan it in and read it on my computer.

No, you are not.
Quote:
I am allowed to dictate the book to myself so I can listen to it later.

No, you are not.
Quote:
I am allowed to copy the book so I can read it in plain text on my computer.

No, you are not.
Quote:
Psystar is not chopping up copies of OS X and copying it and distributing it. You buy a copy of OS X FROM APPLE that Psystar installs for you. Apple gets paid for OS X.

Psystar copies the OS illegally, because it is without Apple's permission. Apple gets paid for an upgrade version that was not priced to cover new installs or to cover its loss of a hardware sale. New installs of Vista at retail are twice the price of Leopard upgrades.
Quote:
All Psystar is doing is building a computer, selling that to the customer, and allowing the customer to purchase Mac OS X FROM APPLE to install on the computer. Mac OS X is not being ripped off by them. Apple still sells a copy of OS X for every copy sold for use in a Psystar computer. That is not stealing.

Right, it's copyright infringement. Loss of revenue is one consequence.
Quote:
They are not using a trademark or a brand to sell a computer.

Yes they do. Psystar uses the Apple name and "Mac OS X" to promote copyright infringment. They are selling a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from Apple.
[/QUOTE]Sorry, Psystar installs Mac OS X before shipping the computer. If Psystar did leave the installation up to the customer, it would still be copyright infringement.
Quote:
Apple also sells a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from them.

This is allowed by the EULA.
Quote:
You bought the computer and you bought the copy of OS X. You should be able to do with it as you please. Including using it to wipe your ass after taking a crap.

Or after posting on AI.
post #62 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I own a MacPro, big difference between the engineering of the Pro and what amounts to a clone case with standard parts. I don't own one of the Psystar machines, but I have had clone boxes under my desk as well and they are not near as reliable, on the whole.


My MacPro is silent, sturdy, runs very cool, and if I have a problem, I can haul it down to the Apple store. Wondering if Psystar will be opening up a service depot in my area?

Well, you bought that MacPro for .... how much? $2000+?

I'd understand your point if the price were the same.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #63 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Neither does the Psystar when it sells a computer which can run OS X.

pwned.

Oh, my, aren't you the wit?
The issue is Psystar's sale of computers with Mac OS X pre-installed.
post #64 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

g3pro wrote: If I buy the book for $19.99, I am allowed tear the book page by page and scan it in and read it on my computer.

you wrote:

Quote:
No, you are not.

Yes, you are perfectly allowed to do so. It's called Fair Use. IT'S CALLED FAIR USE.

You have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about when you say "No, you are not."
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #65 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Oh, my, aren't you the wit?
The issue is Psystar's sale of computers with Mac OS X pre-installed.

Sooooo... if Psystar legally purchases Mac OS X from Apple and installs it on an individual computer, you still think that's stealing? Wow.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Well, you bought that MacPro for .... how much? $2000+?

I'd understand your point if the price were the same.

You can't buy a Psystar system with performance anywhere in the league of a Mac Pro, nor can you build one of your own for the same price.
post #67 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Uhhhhh, you don't know anything about copyright.

Those are screenshots of a product that is sold. Have you ever seen eBay with people selling Apple hardware?

OMGOMGOMG, COPYRIGHT POLICE, STOP THE EBAY SELLERS FROM PROFITING OFF OF APPLE!!111


Dude... go to this link and have a read of course... that if you can understand what is pointed there.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/mac...agreement.html

Image Use Agreement

Important Image Use Information
By copying or making any use of the image below, you acknowledge that you have read and understand, and agree to, the Image Usage Agreement below that governs your use of the Image. If you do not agree to the Agreement’s terms, do not copy or use the Image in any way, unless you have written permission signed by Apple.

Usage Agreement:

Subject to the terms of this Agreement, you may use the Image solely in whole for editorial use by press and/or industry analysts. This right to use is personal to you and is not transferable by you to another party. The Image cannot be used to promote or sell any product or technology (such as on advertising, brochures, book-covers, stock photos, t-shirts, or other promotional merchandise). You may not alter, or modify the Image, in whole or in part, for any reason.

As between you and Apple, Apple is and shall remain the sole and exclusive owner of the Image. You will not delete, alter, or obfuscate any proprietary legends relating to the Image, and each use will be accompanied by the applicable proprietary attribution shown next to the Image.

The Image is provided by Apple on an ‘as is’ basis, without warranty of any kind, including non-infringement or ownership. You, not Apple, are responsible for your use of the Image. Any misuse of the Image or breach of this Agreement will cause Apple irreparable harm. Apple is either an owner or licensee of the image, not an agent for the owner. We understand that you will give our company a credit line as follows: “Courtesy of Apple “ and also credit the photographer if noted.
I have read and understand, and agree to, the Image Usage Agreement.
(Image will immediately begin download)

I disagree and would like to return to the Apple PR site.
post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You can't buy a Psystar system with performance anywhere in the league of a Mac Pro, nor can you build one of your own for the same price.

Yessss..... because Apple sells computer below margin. Yes, that makes perfect sense:

Step 1: Build computer from parts sold by other company.
Step 2: Sell computer for price less than the sum of all the parts.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!!!


Yeah....
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #69 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Sooooo... if Psystar legally purchases Mac OS X from Apple and installs it on an individual computer, you still think that's stealing? Wow.

You can't read. It's called copyright infringement, unless Psystar has permission from Apple to perform such copying.
post #70 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Yessss..... because Apple sells computer below margin. Yes, that makes perfect sense:

Step 1: Build computer from parts sold by other company.
Step 2: Sell computer for price less than the sum of all the parts.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!!!


Yeah....

What are you talking about??? Apple makes a sizable profit on every Mac Pro. It has volume discounting and perhaps other deals with component suppliers. These are deals that neither we nor Psystar can get. And last time I looked, Psystar doesn't even sell 8-core systems.
post #71 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Dude... go to this link and have a read of course... that if you can understand what is pointed there.

Psystar is using a thumbnail of a box of OS X. It's fair use. Check the multitudes on case law if you need clarification about thumbnail use in the United States.

Heck, Apple could write "You are subject to suck Steve Jobs' dick" in that legal document, and it doesn't mean that you are not allowed to use a thumbnail of a box of OS X if you don't agree to that.

Sorry.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #72 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

you wrote:
Yes, you are perfectly allowed to do so. It's called Fair Use. IT'S CALLED FAIR USE.

You have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about when you say "No, you are not."

Yeah, don't take my word for it.
Wikipedia isn't the most authoritative source, but you might want to read this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

"Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review."

Wholesale copying of Mac OS X for a non-academic purpose does not constitute "fair use."
post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You can't read. It's called copyright infringement, unless Psystar has permission from Apple to perform such copying.

Psystar is not copying it. It is buying legal copies of OS X.

BUYING. LEGAL COPIES. FROM APPLE.

This isn't that hard to see that Psystar is not illegally making infringing copies.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #74 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Psystar is not copying it. It is buying legal copies of OS X.

BUYING. LEGAL COPIES. FROM APPLE.

This isn't that hard to see that Psystar is not illegally making infringing copies.

It's the copy installed on the Psystar computer's hard disk that is the illegal copy.
post #75 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Yeah, don't take my word for it.
Wikipedia isn't the most authoritative source, but you might want to read this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

"Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review."

Wholesale copying of Mac OS X for a non-academic purpose does not constitute "fair use."

Psystar is not COPYING OS X illegally, it is buying copies of OS X for installation onto a single computer.

Once again, this is not that difficult to understand.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #76 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Psystar is using a thumbnail of a box of OS X. It's fair use. Check the multitudes on case law if you need clarification about thumbnail use in the United States.

Heck, Apple could write "You are subject to suck Steve Jobs' dick" in that legal document, and it doesn't mean that you are not allowed to use a thumbnail of a box of OS X if you don't agree to that.

Psystar is using an Apple trademark to promote its copyright infringing activities for profit.
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

It's the copy installed on the Psystar computer's hard disk that is the illegal copy.

No, it was an installation on a single computer from a single disc that was bought from Apple.

You are wrong. Just admit it.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #78 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Psystar is not COPYING OS X illegally, it is buying copies of OS X for installation onto a single computer.

Once again, this is not that difficult to understand.

I agree the situation isn't difficult to understand. As for why you don't understand it, I leave that up to everyone else to decide.
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Psystar is using an Apple trademark to promote its copyright infringing activities for profit.

You can't trademark a photo of a box. Otherwise, you can guess what would happen to ALLLLLLLLLLLL these people.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I agree the situation isn't difficult to understand. As for why you don't understand it, I leave that up to everyone else to decide.

I guess you have nothing to counter what was stated, so I'll take it that you finally admitted you're wrong.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook Airs ship; Psystar plans Mac notebook, Blu-ray desktop