or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store

Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store - Page 2

post #41 of 210
Right. And what word isn't there? Begins with a 'V'...
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #42 of 210
hidden escape code...

"IM A PC" = IMAP + iMac

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #43 of 210
Microsoft should just remember-those who live in glass houses...

Apparently they forgot that when they came up with that slogan.
post #44 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I was with Microsoft up until this one, who on earth wants to sit in a booth and go "Im a PC"

If they wanted to get back at Apple they could have just reversed the Apple ads back on them with all the problems Apple are having, by that I mean they could do the following ads:

- Macs now have viruses (Even Apple admit this as they've taken the virus free stat off their switch to mac part of the site)
- Macs now crash
- Official Vista now more secure and Mac
- Mobile me not working. Could do a great comparison of the free hotmail working and Apple handing out free trial extensions for there paid for service not
- iPhone signal problems vs Windows based phone without signal probs

As Apple keeps screwing up on things it seems stupid of Microsoft not to take advantage rather than this current lame attempt.

Troll much lately?
post #45 of 210
Everyone will assume it's a Mac promo with Apple's support: it's a promo reminding everyone that Macs ARE PCs and run Windows just great Thanks for driving that message home, Microsoft
post #46 of 210
Hello. I'm not a PC, I'm a human being with a Mac. It works and I can get on with my life
post #47 of 210
The thing that seems awkward about the I'm A PC campaign in comparison to the Mac ads is that the Mac ads are aimed at getting people to switch from Windows to Mac. However with Microsoft the same concept is being used to try to keep Windows users from switching to Mac. Of course we know there aren't many Mac users likely to switch to Windows.

Microsoft can't simply say 'we aren't all that bad, please don't go'. Even if they are only trying to keep their user base from eroding they should make it look like they are recruiting Mac users to the Windows side as unlikely as that sounds.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #48 of 210
I wonder how many "I'm a Mac" people they are going to get on tape? That and the question "Do you sell Office for the Mac here?"
post #49 of 210
Apple should hire a crowd of Hodgman look-a-likes to crowd outside the booths. That'd drive home the message
post #50 of 210
There's one problem with this great plan

Apple's Get a Mac Ads in the UK flopped and Apple UK hasn't run one in months.

Apple barely advertises Macintosh in the UK bar the odd print ad. They advertise iPhone and iPod, but not Macintosh.

Most ordinary people in the UK won't have seen I'm a Mac, I'm a PC. Microsoft have nothing to counter.

Speaking of brand, this is what shoppers to the Bullring Centre will see and associate with Apple and Microsoft's brands respectively:
Apple = Stylish, boutique retail store with stunning products and welcoming staff.
Microsoft = A PR team standing round a booth with a camcorder begging for attention.

EPIC FAIL doesn't do it justice.
post #51 of 210
Deepak Chopra is a PC:

"I'm a PC. And I think we are better connected than when we're apart."

Now if only I could understand what this wifi diagnostic window is doing...

post #52 of 210
I think this display would be illegal in Canada.

Up here, the reason most Mall store entry ways are as wide as they are, is the fire regulations which are based on how many people are likely to be in a store and thus likely to need to leave all at once in the event of a fire. Leaving what looks to be about 5.5 feet of space in front of the main entrance, would be a definite no-no for a store that holds as many people as the average Apple store does.

The other comment about WTF the Mall manager was thinking is also right on the mark.

I wonder how the Gap would respond to an "anti-fashion" marketing stall parked a few feet outside their front door, and I wonder if any Mall manager would think *that* was a good idea.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #53 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

There's one problem with this great plan…

Apple's Get a Mac Ads in the UK flopped and Apple UK hasn't run one in months.

Apple barely advertises Macintosh in the UK bar the odd print ad. They advertise iPhone and iPod, but not Macintosh.

Most ordinary people in the UK won't have seen “I'm a Mac, I'm a PC”. Microsoft have nothing to counter.

Speaking of brand, this is what shoppers to the Bullring Centre will see and associate with Apple and Microsoft's brands respectively:
Apple = Stylish, boutique retail store with stunning products and welcoming staff.
Microsoft = A PR team standing round a booth with a camcorder begging for attention.

EPIC FAIL doesn't do it justice.

And they're doing this in Birmingham in the winter!

Talk about sad, cold and wet people on the outside in the dark looking in at all the happy people having fun in the bright sunny Apple world. What a Christmas story that is.

I bet the Apple staff invite them in for a cup of tea. Then it's all over - 25 new switchers.

post #54 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

hidden escape code...

"IM A PC" = IMAP + iMac

I like it!

Apple could hit back by putting in a lower case P:

i'M A p C

"I'm a Mac and a I'm a PC
"

Just that on a white background, maybe the Apple logo smaller at the bottom?

Obviously alluding to the fact that Macs can run OS X and Windows.

Anyone wanna mock that up into a poster?
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #55 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The thing that seems awkward about the I'm A PC campaign in comparison to the Mac ads is that the Mac ads are aimed at getting people to switch from Windows to Mac. However with Microsoft the same concept is being used to try to keep Windows users from switching to Mac. Of course we know there aren't many Mac users likely to switch to Windows.

Microsoft can't simply say 'we aren't all that bad, please don't go'. Even if they are only trying to keep their user base from eroding they should make it look like they are recruiting Mac users to the Windows side as unlikely as that sounds.

I'd argue that "I'm a PC" isn't just a practical effort to prevent switching. It's an emotional effort to change how Windows users perceive themselves and the whole platform.

In that sense I think the commercials are very good, or as good as they can be.

Btw the post (and the one from a couple days ago) notes how the current campaign has "ironically" gotten so many fewer "viral views" than the Seinfeld spots. Guess what - viral views are not some be-all end-all measure of campaign success. These are normal commercials. I don't see why anyone would even think they're aiming for viral passalong.

Full disclosure: Love Macs - I own three - but don't always care for Apple on a corporate level.
post #56 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's a friggin booth where you can record your own I'm a PC video," he said. "This is outside the Apple Store, Bullring, Birmingham, England." He added that a trio of Microsoft staffers will be on hand to turn patrons off from the Mac for the next three days.

This is like a sailor who's been on a long mission at sea who finally decides to seek some Las Vegas-like companion only to find a representative from the Church of Abstinence camping out on the front steps. The sailor has already developed long overdue anticipation of said companionship for so long now, that the representative from the CoA will not be taken seriously. What are the CoA representatives (Microsoft staffers) going to say "Please reconsider"? To which the sailor will reply, "Reconsider this (sailor pointing to his long overdeveloped anticipation)".

For crying out loud, doesn't this smack of a last ditch desperate effort? I mean seriously, once the customer is at the Apple store, it's too late.

I cant believe someone was actually paid to put up the booth.
post #57 of 210
From Chromium on the gizmodo comments:

Quote:
so they are trying to get people to walk into this dark enclosed kiosk so they can record them on video? Yeah thats way better than going into that nice shinny Apple store and playing with a MacBook Air and iPods.

This is sort of like the equivalent of a creepy dude in a white panel van pulling up and asking you if you want some candy.

So good I had to share!
post #58 of 210
Hi! I'm a er, Trojan... That's the thing about walls, they do have their uses. Like stopping the roof falling on your head and keeping burglars out.

Trojan virus steals bank info

Buddha
Buddha
post #59 of 210
Quote:

I was with Microsoft up until this one, who on earth wants to sit in a booth and go "Im a PC"

If they wanted to get back at Apple they could have just reversed the Apple ads back on them with all the problems Apple are having, by that I mean they could do the following ads:

- Macs now have viruses (Even Apple admit this as they've taken the virus free stat off their switch to mac part of the site)
- Macs now crash
- Mobile me not working. Could do a great comparison of the free hotmail working and Apple handing out free trial extensions for there paid for service not

As Apple keeps screwing up on things it seems stupid of Microsoft not to take advantage rather than this current lame attempt.

Macs always had viruses, macs always crashed, in what way is vista offically more secure than Mac, it it according to you?

- Please I use hotmail and it's just as useless as mobileme

- Right Windows mobile phones don't have signal problems, what a joke.
post #60 of 210
I think he would be the most appropriate
spokesperson for Windows Vista.
post #61 of 210
Quote:

- Macs now crash

reasonable points, though i'm more inclined to agree with the last item than the preceding ones. what about inferior displays, missing ports, that sort of thing? (i use macs exclusively and like them very much)
post #62 of 210
First of all, a mall manager who would allow a rinky dink kiosk to park itself in front of a high traffic tenant will probably be looking for another job real soon.

Second, this is the kind of promo that a college student would come up with in a marketing class project. Aimed more at annoying the competition than attracting customers.

On a different note, as of yesterday, our family is officially Windows-free. Got my son's new MacBook from DHL yesterday which allows me to kick out our last Windows pustule out the door. The score at home is now Mac, 4, Windows 0. Game over. Took a full five years to completely switch over but like the small pox virus, Windows has now been eradicated. Or I could say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Windows has left the building!"
post #63 of 210
Sad, if I were a Microsoft employee I would be embarrassed of my marketing department for approving such a stupid campaign.

If I were Apple I would be upset they would allow a kiosk of my competitor to placed at the entrance of my store like that.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #64 of 210
MS putting these booths outside of Apple stores is a fantastic idea.

I picture the machines being full of Apple users recording "I'm a Mac" ads or otherwise slamming MS and Windows. They won't likely get a single useable recording.

You don't carry an Obama sign to a McCain rally without getting some abuse. You don't put a MS booth outside an Apple store without the same. I only wish I would get to see the anti-MS recordings.
post #65 of 210
Yes, Mr. Ballmer, 25% year-over-year growth, three years running, really is important.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #66 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I laughed.

I'm another one laughing..... that's just too funny.... and pathetic like another person wrote.

EVERYONE.....

IF YOU SEE ONE GO IN AND RECORD A VIDEO SAYING HOW MUCH WINDOWS SUCKS......

Let's monkey with the guerilla campaign....LOL

I don't care how much $ Gates has.... he will always be a PUTZ!.....

Apple's latest commercials hit the nail on the head.... instead of fixing Vista let's do more advertising.... kind of like Obama trying to sell us a fake bill of goods that say he isn't a racist, america hating commie....LOL

Z
post #67 of 210
Brilliant move Microsoft! You invented a way to deliver your customers directly to the front door of an official Apple Store! What a brilliant marketing strategy!

Apple thanks you for all the new customers that will be attracted to their store, all of them MS windowz users ready to be switched to Apple. Why not just rent a bus, gather up a group on windowz users and take a field trip to an Apple Store, saves the time and cost of producing a kiosk?

First rule of advertising: never give your customer directions to the competition!
post #68 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The hull has been breeched and the sinking has begun, looks like Captain Balmer will be going down with the ship (yelling) undoubtedly.

Developers, developers, developers;
Developers, developers, developers;
Developers, developers, DEVELOPERS;
DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS;

*gasping for air collapses with heat attack
post #69 of 210
The only thing that this is going to do is make people laugh as they walk out of the Apple stores with Macs, iPods, and iPhones under their arms.

Someone at Microsoft is just really nervous..
post #70 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by etslee View Post

Seinfeld and Deepak Chopra...wow those Microsoft guys are so hip!

Hey.... didn't Seinfeld used to be a mac guy? Remember how there was almost always a mac on the set of the show.....

I guess if I were him..... I'd gladly do any commercial for $10M.....LOL

Z

This is just too funny.... I hope they bring one of their Kiosks to Austin, TX
post #71 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

MS putting these booths outside of Apple stores is a fantastic idea.

I picture the machines being full of Apple users recording "I'm a Mac" ads or otherwise slamming MS and Windows. They won't likely get a single useable recording.

You don't carry an Obama sign to a McCain rally without getting some abuse. You don't put a MS booth outside an Apple store without the same. I only wish I would get to see the anti-MS recordings.

I really do think it would be great if Mac users visit these booths to submit "I'm a Mac" entries thus driving up the cost for Microsoft to obtain useable "I'm a PC" material. On the other hand, we don't want long lines drawing attention to these booths.
post #72 of 210
MS is desperate hehe quite funny
post #73 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post

guerilla tactics? More like chimpanzee tactics

I had coffee coming out of my nose...
Thank you, I needed that.
bb
bb
post #74 of 210
Hey .... could someone post how we submit videos to the "I'm a PC" campaign...... we could annoy the hell out of them..... or.....LOL....

Try to be as lame and gross and you could imagine..... and shoot a video of yourself saying your a PC.....LOL
post #75 of 210
Quote:

- Macs now crash
- iPhone signal problems vs Windows based phone without signal probs... .

I know you are probably just a troll or some little kid who has no idea, but it's worth pointing out that not a single word of this is true.
post #76 of 210
But seriously now.
If I was to try and rent a space in a shopping center or a mall for the purpose of crapping on one of their customers, I would be kicked out in a heartbeat.
How did they allow this? As a retail customer I would be enraged.
bb
bb
post #77 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I laughed.

what I laughed at is the implication from the market research numbers that the Seinfeld ads are so much better than the Apple Ads. doesn't account for the not so tiny detail that most of those hits were Apple users yelling "yo dudes, look at this crap ass ad that Microsoft made. what a bunch of losers"

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #78 of 210
they just dont have a clue
post #79 of 210
Quote:

- Macs now crash

1. Where are these viruses? I think taking the "virus-free" thing off the site was a marketing decision, but I'm still waiting for those viruses.
2. Sure, Macs crash. My log tells me I crashed twice in 2006, once even in 2007. Sometimes I get a Finder crash: you see a blue screen, then everything restarts. I think it's been twice this year. The other crashes are apps. The quit, and then you restart them. Very seldom.
3. Vista more secure? Hah. I guess it has to be, with the billions of malware vectors shredding it every day.
4. Mobile Me's been working for me since about two weeks on. The team was fired, and the guy behind iTunes now runs it. It's been getting slicker and slicker.
5. iPhone signal? You could fool me. Heard of firmware update 2.1? Now, if you want a cumbersome, crash-prone system, get Windows Mobile.

So you've memorized a number of half-truths that aren't true now.
post #80 of 210
Funny they are so desperate. The day 25% of the World knows about the Mac, Windows and Microsoft will be history in three years (which are basically maintained by both inertia and ignorance). They must be certainly worried.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store