or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › external drive won't mount to desktop

external drive won't mount to desktop

post #1 of 4
Ok so i just bought a new hard drive and hooked everything up to my imac. However, it will not mount to my desktop.

1. I opened disc utility and i can see that my newly purchased hard drive is listed on the LHS with 931 GB available.

2. I click on the mount button on the top and i get this message- "The disk disk1s1 could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting."

3. So now i click on First Aid and attempt to repair disc, however I get this message-"Disk Utility stopped repairing disk1s1 because the following error was encountered: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? I'm running on osx 10.5.5, on an aluminum imac in case you were wondering.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 4
Was the Hard drive already formated with a file system?
post #3 of 4
go back to disk utility, select the main device on the left, click the partition tab. change the drop down from current to 1 partition. click on the options button, select GUID & click OK. on the 2nd dropdown in the partition tab, make sure Mac OSX journaled is selected. click the partition button.

any data that was on the drive will be erased.
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

go back to disk utility, select the main device on the left, click the partition tab. change the drop down from current to 1 partition. click on the options button, select GUID & click OK. on the 2nd dropdown in the partition tab, make sure Mac OSX journaled is selected. click the partition button.

any data that was on the drive will be erased.

Made an account just to tell you this:

YOU ARE A GOD.

Thank you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › external drive won't mount to desktop