or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama's Mandate and First 100 days

Obama's Mandate and First 100 days

Poll Results: What percentage of popular vote does Obama need to claim a mandate?

• 50% (9)
    50-52%
  • 16% (3)
    53-54%
  • 11% (2)
    55-56%
  • 22% (4)
    more than 56%
18 Total Votes  
post #1 of 135
This election is a slam dunk. Of course slam dunks can be muffed but I doubt it this time. Given that what percentage of the popular vote does Obama need to claim a "mandate"?

What does he do with a mandate?

What will his first hundred days accomplish?
post #2 of 135
I don't believe in "Mandates," that is a Republican invention.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

This election is a slam dunk. Of course slam dunks can be muffed but I doubt it this time. Given that what percentage of the popular vote does Obama need to claim a "mandate"?

What does he do with a mandate?

I agree with hardeeharhar. But you can start here.

Quote:
What will his first hundred days accomplish?

Honestly? Getting started. With a cabinet smart, strong and determined enough to clean up the huge shit-pile Bush/Cheney has accumulated the last eight years. Having Democrats everywhere might also speed things up, but this last administration was a disaster.

I wouldn't even give McCain a 100 day accomplishment option.
post #4 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I don't believe in "Mandates," that is a Republican invention.

Yep. After the 2004 election, Bush thought the voters gave him a mandate and "political capital", yet the margin of victory was only a couple of percentage points.

Quote:
You asked, do I feel free. Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style. That's what happened in the -- after the 2000 election, I earned some capital. I've earned capital in this election -- and I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I'd spend it on, which is -- you've heard the agenda: Social Security and tax reform, moving this economy forward, education, fighting and winning the war on terror.

What a fucking asshole that guy is. In the last days of his presidency, I hope people erect statues of him just so we can tear them down.
post #5 of 135
Well given that McCain gets more votes than Bush did in 2004, which seems likely (p > 0.5), and given that Obama gets ten million more popular votes than McCain gets, which is a remote possibility (p < 0.1), I'd say that ...

[CENTER]
Obama gives McCain such a bath and shoves the soap so far up McCain's hole that McCain is seen blowing Bubbles the Clown.[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #6 of 135
Are you guys old enough to remember that it was said that Clinton had a "mandate"
post #7 of 135
By republicans and the term has taken on new meaning by bush -- regarding doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do as opposed to following the will of the public...
post #8 of 135
Quote:

Are you guys old enough to remember that it was said that Clinton had a "mandate"

I do. I do. I think it was health care, and something to do with "fuzzy math".

Mandates are stupid. They accomplish nothing these days. When a new president enters office and is finally revealed the true (cooked) record books, security issues, war issues, foreign policies, and countless other undisclosed screw-ups, priorities change and policies are revised.

Whatever which candidate runs for office, their issues and promises come down to just ideas. Ideas that will be entered into the assessment of the previous president's fuck ups and lies.

So I'm prepared to be as pleased, surprised and angry just as you and Obama supporters will be.

Right now, I'm just happy that the Bush/Cheney cabal and the McCain/Palin circus of freaks are out of the White House and out of my mind.
post #9 of 135
I suspect that after Obama wins with nearly 60% of the vote, his first action will be to convince all the conservatives on this board to have Lundy delete their accounts.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #10 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I suspect that after Obama wins with nearly 60% of the vote, his first action will be to convince all the conservatives on this board to have Lundy delete their accounts.

post #11 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Oh come on? Who's going to spank you guys while you do your circle jerk?
post #12 of 135
I don't know, Scott. I guess it would have to be someone with a grasp of the issues and a cogent critique of liberalism.

I would welcome such a poster, should he or she make an appearance.

Until then, I guess we'll have to make do with being called communists and traitors and dupes and shills.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 135
Quote:

Oh come on? Who's going to spank you guys while you do your circle jerk?

You're right, we aren't the ones collectively bailing out here. For good reason I guess. Stick around, we will need more bias-er-balance here.
post #14 of 135
I just saw Henry Reid on TV using the work "mandate". Congresswoman Botox was there with him.
post #15 of 135
Quote:

I just saw Henry Reid on TV using the work "mandate". Congresswoman Botox was there with him.

You're going to be seeing those faces in your nightmares for a while, aren't you?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #16 of 135
Quote:

Speaking of childish. I have one word for you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Got it? One more time. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Barack Obama President Elect. Deal with it.
post #17 of 135
I give thee a 1 term, lame duck president. Hell we just had a two term lame duck president. This country is great at pissing away their freedoms and brains. We're long on bravado, long on rhetoric and short on action and balls.

This country just buried itself as they did in 1976.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach Reagan as he shat all over the old GOP and gave us this impregnated POS movement we call the Evangelicals.

The lameness coming up is going to create some other monstrosity that will continue to create a POS reality and longing for a past that died before any one of us were even born.
post #18 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I give thee a 1 term, lame duck president. Hell we just had a two term lame duck president. This country is great at pissing away their freedoms and brains. We're long on bravado, long on rhetoric and short on action and balls.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach Reagan as he shat all over the old GOP and gave us this impregnated POS movement we call the Evangelicals.

The lameness coming up is going to create some other monstrosity that will continue to create a POS reality and longing for a past that died before any one of us were even born.

And you thought McCain was going to do what, exactly?

Meanwhile, Bush was unfortunately not a Carteresque lame duck, as you claim. Bush actually caused the country a lot of harm.

So, please do tell: What on earth do you believe McCain was going to do any different? Foreign policy? Same. Taxes? Same. Spending? Same. Personal liberties? Same. Evangelical bullshit? Same.

I can't understand why anyone would see McCain as a potential for change. The policy positions throughout this campaign cannot possibly support that notion. John McCain is not the man he was 8 years ago.

Obama, on the other hand, has proven his intellect and his competence. If he can dig us out of the hole Bush got us into, he will soar.
post #19 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm Rush Limbaugh and I approved this message.
I'm Sean Hannity and I approved this message.
I'm Pat Robinson and I approved this message.
I'm Ann Coulter and I approved this message.
I'm George the Lamest and I approved this message.
I'm Karl Rove and I approved this message.
I'm Bill O'Reilly and I approved this message.
I'm James Dobson and I approved this message.
I'm Dick the Prick and I approved this message.
I'm Joe the Dummer and I approved this message.
I'm Matt Drudge and I approved this message.

post #20 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

You're going to be seeing those faces in your nightmares for a while, aren't you?

When I dream of Pelosi she's 21 years old and smothering with with two large pillows.
post #21 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Speaking of childish. I have one word for you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Got it? One more time. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Barack Obama President Elect. Deal with it.

Excuse me but may I join you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA;H AHAHAHA!

There I got that out of my system!

Yes really! Deal with it!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #22 of 135
This was an ass-whipping. As Joe Scarborough put it, this was a repudiation of the Republican brand and image.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

This was an ass-whipping. As Joe Scarborough put it, this was a repudiation of the Republican brand and image.

Not from where I stand. It was a Bush-Cheney and McCain-Palin ass-whipping. If you review the numbers, you'll see that the number of Independents increased. A lot of those voters used to be Republicans, and they still will vote like Republicans in the future. The results were a repudiation of the choices on the ballot and the effects of the economy on wallets & purses.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #24 of 135
Here's an interesting graph

It's the same line, just shifted bluer
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not from where I stand. It was a Bush-Cheney and McCain-Palin ass-whipping. If you review the numbers, you'll see that the number of Independents increased. A lot of those voters used to be Republicans, and they still will vote like Republicans in the future. The results were a repudiation of the choices on the ballot and the effects of the economy on wallets & purses.

Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed!
post #26 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed!

Dick Armey was making that argument this morning on NPR. "Obama didn't win. This was a vindication of conservative principles, since the people who didn't exhibit conservative principles were kicked out."

God help us.
post #27 of 135
The popular vote was 52 to 46. If only 3% voted the other way we'd be dead even. Not a rousing victory of popular will. Republicans were tossed out for sure. For some good reasons.

In 2/4 years we'll watch the Democrats twist every problem into a residual of Bush Bush Bush! That can't last forever. Maybe Obama will run on "more of the same" but be talking about himself this time.
post #28 of 135
Denial is funny...

You are talking about a 3% swing in popular vote as insignificant when Bush was ushered in without having won the popular vote at all... If you don't see the intense irony and hypocrisy in that, then you really ought to think about whether or not you are having a knee jerk response.
post #29 of 135
Quote:

The popular vote was 52 to 46. If only 3% voted the other way we'd be dead even. Not a rousing victory of popular will. Republicans were tossed out for sure. For some good reasons.

Very true. Looking at the elections before Bush this was kinda an average margin of victory. Of course, Obama is not an average candidate...the last person facing the same kind of hurdles only ecked out a minor victory...34,226,731 vs 34,108,157.

Democratic nominees have been trying to mimic him ever since.

Percentage wise Reagan did better against Carter 44M to 36M (vs 63M to 56M Obama/McCain)... about the same 7.5-8Mish swing only with lower number of voters. Still though, Obama has the same sort of "mandate" as Reagan I would think.

Had Bush been up for re-election I think that Obama would have given him a historic level of drubbing.
post #30 of 135
post #31 of 135
Quote:

Denial is funny...

You are talking about a 3% swing in popular vote as insignificant when Bush was ushered in without having won the popular vote at all... If you don't see the intense irony and hypocrisy in that, then you really ought to think about whether or not you are having a knee jerk response.

That's a bizarre response. When did I every say Bush had a rousing popular victory? Bush's elections were statistically 50/50. Clinton only got 43% when he won the first time.

So did you just make that up to ding me? Feel free to make up whatever then.
post #32 of 135
Perhaps a more interesting long term issue is after Obama the Dems are starting from scratch. Biden will be 74.

I wonder if he will bow out in 2012 to allow someone younger be the incumbent. Still, Gore lost. Nixon lost.
post #33 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Perhaps a more interesting long term issue is after Obama the Dems are starting from scratch. Biden will be 74.

I wonder if he will bow out in 2012 to allow someone younger be the incumbent. Still, Gore lost. Nixon lost.

You always have to have good people in the bush league (no pun). Republicans have some decent governors maturing. Democrats do too.

I'm still holding out for a Granholm vs Schwarzenegger match up.
post #34 of 135
Quote:

You always have to have good people in the bush league (no pun). Republicans have some decent governors maturing. Democrats do too.

I'm still holding out for a Granholm vs Schwarzenegger match up.

What, in a no holds barred bikini jelly wresting championship?
post #35 of 135
Quote:

Percentage wise Reagan did better against Carter 44M to 36M

But then Reagan was getting that huge surge of Iranian thank you votes for all the contraband weapons he promised them.

Still that is the long standing global security that the Republicans are famous for!

The right to bear missiles seems to extend to the Axis of Evil.
post #36 of 135
Quote:

Denial is funny...

Now that would be a rather interesting screen name, KneeJerk.
post #37 of 135
The Terminator used the same gutter talk as Camp McCain when he struck at Obama's figure. Lost me right there.

Would love to see O and S in a game of 1-on-1.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #38 of 135
Quote:

The 2010 Census is just around the corner.

Population growth largely occurs around existing urban areas, these areas are largely blue in presidential elections.

Dems control most statehouses, congressional redistricting will be largely controlled by the Dems.

I see a new voter rights bill in my crystal ball, making it much easier to vote, to vote early, with a great deal more transparancy.

I actually don't think the GOP will have a real chance until after 2020, if ever.

We would have likely had 16 straight years of Dems in the WH to date if it wasn't for a few BJ's.

[CENTER]
2008[/CENTER]
post #39 of 135
Quote:

Very true. Looking at the elections before Bush this was kinda an average margin of victory. Of course, Obama is not an average candidate...the last person facing the same kind of hurdles only ecked out a minor victory...34,226,731 vs 34,108,157.

Democratic nominees have been trying to mimic him ever since.

Percentage wise Reagan did better against Carter 44M to 36M (vs 63M to 56M Obama/McCain)... about the same 7.5-8Mish swing only with lower number of voters. Still though, Obama has the same sort of "mandate" as Reagan I would think.

Had Bush been up for re-election I think that Obama would have given him a historic level of drubbing.

I see your point and it's valid although there are different things to factor in when comparing the Reagan/Carter and the Obama/McCain eras. Let's start with a black candidate on one side and a fundie female VP(that could be the closest a fundie may ever get to the presidency) on the other. The motivation to go out and vote was huge from both sides.

I've said it all along. The country is changing, the demographics are changing(look at the new party registrations) with the minorities playing an ever increasing role in politics while the GOP is getting left behind. If you couldn't see the difference between the crowds at the Dem and Rep rallies, one word: Lenscrafters.

These maps are pretty interesting. It's a bigger shift than people think.

post #40 of 135
That right there is what it's all about.

And, clearly, if the GOP wants to compete, it's going to have to move to the left.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama's Mandate and First 100 days