or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads

Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads

post #1 of 32
Trackpad issues experienced by users of Apple's new unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros will be addressed in a forthcoming software update, according to an email response from chief executive Steve Jobs.

The problem, which was documented in AppleInsider's review of the unibody MacBook Pro and covered from another user's perspective earlier this week, is the new glass trackpad's tendency not to register some physical clicks performed by the user.

Having become frustrated with the glitch, one MacBook Pro owner mailed Jobs earlier this week and received a call back from Apple's customer relations department. He was told that the company was "researching the clicking issue" but as of yet could not determine a solution.

However, another customer experiencing the same problem mailed Jobs at a slightly later date and was told that a patch is forthcoming, suggesting that Apple has determined the issue can be completely rectified by a software update.

"Software fix coming soon," the Apple co-founder reportedly said in one of his traditionally terse email replies. \t

Although much of the attention surrounding the glass trackpad clicking issue has come from MacBook Pro users, several unibody 13-inch MacBook owners say they've also experienced the same anomalies.

Due to striking similarities in the design of both products, it's believed that any fix for the MacBook Pro would be deployed in the same manner for the new MacBooks.
post #2 of 32
As a MacBook owner experiencing the same issue: thank god.
post #3 of 32
is this any surprise that there are problems with not having a real button to click on?

cmon.... software isn't the same as a real hardware button. i like the idea of a larger trackpad, but i also like dual buttons a hell of a lot more.

i hope apple brings back even small buttons on the trackpad.
post #4 of 32
Actually, there is a button. The trackpad is the button. It's mechanical. It just has to act like one ;-)
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

is this any surprise that there are problems with not having a real button to click on?

cmon.... software isn't the same as a real hardware button. i like the idea of a larger trackpad, but i also like dual buttons a hell of a lot more.

i hope apple brings back even small buttons on the trackpad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhead View Post

Actually, there is a button. The trackpad is the button. It's mechanical. It just has to act like one ;-)

Yep, the entire trackpad is a physical button.... the problem is that it isn't reacting as it should and a software fix will make it all better.
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Yep, the entire trackpad is a physical button.... the problem is that it isn't reacting as it should and a software fix will make it all better.

Yeah the new trackpad is like the big button you press in a public restroom to dry your hands.
Bang on it!
post #7 of 32
Thank you! I thought I was the only one - and loosing my mind!
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraSPARC View Post

Thank you! I thought I was the only one - and loosing my mind!

Better tighten it up quickly before something falls out.
post #9 of 32
Got my second Macbook Pro last night and the hinge still will not stay open when held at a angle or when you move the computer. FIX IT OR RECALL IT!
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by templetonrl View Post

Got my second Macbook Pro last night and the hinge still will not stay open when held at a angle or when you move the computer. FIX IT OR RECALL IT!

Apparently, it's meant to be like that. They designed it to be less stiff. If you don't like it, I guess you need to get a plastic MacBook, a second-hand Mac or a laptop from a different manufacturer.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #11 of 32
I though combination track button and track pad was very natural and reliable, even with right clicks. That being said, does Apple bother to test things anymore? Every new product they introduce seems to have some software related quirk to it.
post #12 of 32
there is also an issue with using the trackpad with bootcamp!
"Like all current Macs, the new MacBooks come with Apple's Leopard operating system, which I consider superior to Windows."

Walt Mossberg
"Like all current Macs, the new MacBooks come with Apple's Leopard operating system, which I consider superior to Windows."

Walt Mossberg
post #13 of 32
My mbp has all sorts of issues with it including the falling screen.

What's worse is that the screen on its lowest setting is bright enough to illuminate the room keeping my gf from sleeping if I'm reading in bed, not to mention that it's too bright to read.

Furthermore, has anyone noticed how much louder the keyboard is? The trackpad's click is loud and could wake anyone up and the keys are more clankity than anything I've ever seen from Apple.

I'm sorta considering sending this one back and waiting for v2 or 3.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

Hopefully they will address that soon

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

Yeah, right-clicking in Boot Camp doesn't work for me... via multi-touch. But it DOES work in VM Ware.
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Apparently, it's meant to be like that. They designed it to be less stiff. If you don't like it, I guess you need to get a plastic MacBook, a second-hand Mac or a laptop from a different manufacturer.

The aluminum MacBooks are fine too... the screen is lighter and mine has a very stiff feel to it.
post #17 of 32
I'm on my third day with my new Macbook Pro and I'm not seeing any issue with screen looseness. It seems fin at any angle. Maybe this is isolated to earlier builds?

As for the trackpad, I'm really happy with it so far. clicking it feels as natural as it did with my previous Macbook. I haven't noticed much in the way of missed clicks yet but if it's something that can be fixed in software rather than faulty hardware then I'm not all that worried.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Yeah, right-clicking in Boot Camp doesn't work for me... via multi-touch. But it DOES work in VM Ware.

I'm not surprised. With VM ware, it goes through Mac OS X first and the software carries that over to the windows environment.
post #19 of 32
I just got the new macbook and think it's a downgrade compared to the trackpad to my wife's first gen macbook air. I don't like touch clicking - and the clicking the entire pad is simply way too heavy - it kills my hand in minutes not to mention the noise! I am probably going to open up the thing and try and lessen the click force and decrease the noise - this is a *serious* problem for me and I've been using apple laptops for 10 years! I want to keep this computer but if I can't use it....

Apple please give us a better trackpad option *with a button* and TEST it with people before you ship! I appreciate the innovation but ideas don't always work in practice. Oh and I like a right click button - who cares if it causes apple to admit defeat and swallow it's pride - it is the defacto standard and all programs need it!
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by borki View Post

My mbp has all sorts of issues with it including the falling screen.

What's worse is that the screen on its lowest setting is bright enough to illuminate the room keeping my gf from sleeping if I'm reading in bed, not to mention that it's too bright to read.

Furthermore, has anyone noticed how much louder the keyboard is? The trackpad's click is loud and could wake anyone up and the keys are more clankity than anything I've ever seen from Apple.

I'm sorta considering sending this one back and waiting for v2 or 3.

My MacBook Pro has been working pretty good, it's the 2.4GHz one.

No trackpad click issue, in fact I'm head over heals for this new trackpad.

I isn't that Apple doesn't test, it's that manufacturers, even in the same board design, might use slightly different parts among factories or even within different time frames. Those variations in things like a transistor or resister can sometimes cause little quirks in the drivers & how they communicate with the hardware. Apple is likely updating drivers to deal with irregularities in some of the hardware to try & help reign in those variations.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21yr_mac_user View Post

Apple please give us a better trackpad option *with a button* and TEST it with people before you ship! I appreciate the innovation but ideas don't always work in practice. Oh and I like a right click button - who cares if it causes apple to admit defeat and swallow it's pride - it is the defacto standard and all programs need it!

This appears to be yet another case of form over function. The Mighty Mouse suffers from the same thing- Apple couldn't stand to see a left or right click and also gave it that tiny scroll dust ball which constantly clogs up. Apple appears lately totally obssessed with a "less is more" and "thinness" dogma in looks and therefore compromising performance in the end game.
Hopefully it all works out for the best with these pads.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

My MacBook Pro has been working pretty good, it's the 2.4GHz one.

No trackpad click issue, in fact I'm head over heals for this new trackpad.

I isn't that Apple doesn't test, it's that manufacturers, even in the same board design, might use slightly different parts among factories or even within different time frames. Those variations in things like a transistor or resister can sometimes cause little quirks in the drivers & how they communicate with the hardware. Apple is likely updating drivers to deal with irregularities in some of the hardware to try & help reign in those variations.

Yeah, I would assume it would be something like that. My first PB was a lemon and broke almost immediately, then they replaced it with one that literally had no problems and is still running strong. But this one has even more problems that I am not complaining about, some of them surely are things just to get used to.

I'm hoping that I can return this one, possibly, for one that might be a bit less quirky. Otherwise, maybe I will wait a little while longer to get one.
post #23 of 32
Aplle are really starting to make some hardware mistakes... Its time to sell sell sell those shares I think!
post #24 of 32
I too have a MacBookPro and the track pad is definitely the week spot of the entire system. I think the options that allow you to manipulate images and objects are interesting but doubt many of us need them. A problem that is driving me crazy is the trackpad with Safari. With Safari, if you keep a finer on the trackpad and then move another finder on it, it increases and decreases the size of the text on the webpage. It is driving me bonkers. Anyone know how to shut that off?

Hope the new update fixes the issues, or I guess I can just plug in my mouse.

Thanks!
post #25 of 32
Is it that issue with the thumb-press? As in, try to press the button with the tip of your finger, does it register each time?

Probably been mentioned here but anyways, it seems if you have like the whole underside of your thumb on the trackpad when clicking it does not register it as a click.

Anyways, all the best to all, hope Apple resolves this issue soon.
post #26 of 32
I've had mine for a few days, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The trackpad takes a little more force than it used to but it is much more intuitive, I find.

I hope Apple fixes this problem, though. It looks terrible to have a unique feature malfunctioning.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"

post #27 of 32
I haven't noticed any trackpad problems on my new Macbook Pro (my first Mac). I did have a problem with my external display (A Samsung LCD TV via VGA) which would lose picture for about one second at random intervals. Apple says they're aware of this and a software fix will be released at some point. Hopefully soon!
post #28 of 32
First off, I love the trackpad. They've really done a superb job with how your finger just glides on it almost frictionless. I'd never felt a trackpad like this one before.

I'm not noticing a problem with the physical click but then, I'm a "touch click" guy. I have noticed though, that the click and drag has issues. It works but there's a separate button for "drag lock". I don't have it set but the click and drag keeps doing the drag lock thing. I like the feature but had to turn it off because it kept locking and annoying the heck out of me.

Anyone else notice this?
post #29 of 32
I love the new design of the track pad, its large area and innovative button sets it apart.

But I am experiencing some problems with it, at times the trackpad is not even registering the movement of my fingers.
The clicking has not been to much of a problem, just sometime when using the trackpad there is a lack of response. I can usually resolve this my reposition my finger and pushing harder, but its still annoying...
post #30 of 32
Actually, I am experiencing one problem with the trackpad, that it does not accept two-finger scrolling. All of the other Multi-touch features work perfectly, even two-finger secondary clicking.

Otherwise, I like the trackpad and the glossy has only given me problems in a tunnel on a train.

post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Actually, I am experiencing one problem with the trackpad, that it does not accept two-finger scrolling. All of the other Multi-touch features work perfectly, even two-finger secondary clicking.

Otherwise, I like the trackpad and the glossy has only given me problems in a tunnel on a train.

Did you by any chance migrate your old preferences to your new MacBook from a PPC architecture machine, an iBook or PowerBook for instance? If so, it will bork some of your trackpad functions. Reinstalling the default preferences in your Library should fix it. You can grab them from the install disc. I am pretty sure that if you just rename the current folder and then reboot, that will fix it as well. If you are uncomfortable with that, make and appointment with a Mac Genius and they'll do it for you. This is a known issue, its been all over the Global Network of Computers for a couple of weeks now. I had the same problem and after restoring the default prefs, problem solved.

Oh yeah, this was on my late 2008 13" MacBook (unibody).

KC
post #32 of 32
I have an MBA rev 1 and a Unibody Macbook Pro. The MBA trackpad was and is amazing. The Macbook Pro trackpad is good also. I find myself trying to press the trackpad down on the air, and miss the two tap right click on the Pro (biazzarely I get right click if I tap three fingers and press the trackpad down). However, I cant see any technical reason why the Macbook Pro cant two finger tap (it already double single taps like the MBA).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads